1865 posts
NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: Relegation

by NathStPaul » 08 Jul 2021 11:53

Simon's Church
NathStPaul
Hendo
To be fair, I think they only have 11 senior pros or something and no CBs, so they aren't wrong.

We meanwhile, would have a very weak bench, we at least have a decent-ish starting XI:

Rafael

Yiadom
Moore
Morrison
McIntyre/Bristow

Rhino
Laurent

Ovie
Swift
Puscas

Joao

I'd back that XI to do pretty well in most games.

We have no way of knowing that our youngsters on the bench can't come on and make an impact either, for all we know they will be real prospects. Our bench could end up being stronger than we think.

Id say the fact none of them got a look in even after our play off chances were gone suggests otherwise.

It doesn't suggest anything. It suggests we wanted to end the season winning games by putting out our strongest team.

Boyce-Clarke, Azeez, Camara,Tetek, Dorsett, Southwood all featured in our squads for the final two games.

Elm Park Kid
Hob Nob Regular

by Elm Park Kid » 08 Jul 2021 11:58

windermereROYAL
Snowball https://www.msn.com/en-gb/sport/american-football/derby-and-two-other-championship-clubs-hit-with-transfer-embargo/ar-AALUru3

Ouch, that article says we can`t pay a transfer fee, can i assume we can get people in on loan?

Given that our problem is our wage bill - I would assume the embargo prevents us from signing any new players.

I did think that a lot of fans hadn't grasped the seriousness of our situation. The idea that we could bring in 4-5 players wasn't that realistic.

Though there's always the chance that we get some 'creative' accountants in and suddenly discover that our finances were fine all along! Or amazing lawyers who are able to find loopholes.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 08 Jul 2021 12:09

Elm Park Kid
windermereROYAL
Snowball https://www.msn.com/en-gb/sport/american-football/derby-and-two-other-championship-clubs-hit-with-transfer-embargo/ar-AALUru3

Ouch, that article says we can`t pay a transfer fee, can i assume we can get people in on loan?

Given that our problem is our wage bill - I would assume the embargo prevents us from signing any new players.

I did think that a lot of fans hadn't grasped the seriousness of our situation. The idea that we could bring in 4-5 players wasn't that realistic.

Though there's always the chance that we get some 'creative' accountants in and suddenly discover that our finances were fine all along! Or amazing lawyers who are able to find loopholes.

I would fully expect the EFL to allow us to bring in 4 or 5 players (mostly loanees) by the end of next month. What we won’t be able to do is paying transfer fees for players.

Simon's Church
Hob Nob Regular

by Simon's Church » 08 Jul 2021 12:28

NathStPaul
Simon's Church
NathStPaul We have no way of knowing that our youngsters on the bench can't come on and make an impact either, for all we know they will be real prospects. Our bench could end up being stronger than we think.

Id say the fact none of them got a look in even after our play off chances were gone suggests otherwise.

It doesn't suggest anything. It suggests we wanted to end the season winning games by putting out our strongest team.

Boyce-Clarke, Azeez, Camara,Tetek, Dorsett, Southwood all featured in our squads for the final two games.

I would have thought if say Dorsett was seen as a viable option for this season he might have been picked ahead of an out of position Yiadom, or Azeez/Camara would play ahead of Esteves, Rinomhota, or Aluko. But maybe not

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 08 Jul 2021 12:30

There's a few people who need to wipe the shit off their specs

Coppells Lost Coat
Hob Nob Regular

by Coppells Lost Coat » 08 Jul 2021 12:32

Relegation is always a possibility. Thats the love of the game though.
Realistically, if the season were to start next week, i would be fairly content with our chance to be more than competitive for 46 games.
And to be fair - our squad even though hasn't got great depth we do still have a few options. But we definitely cannot have another season of injuries like last season.

Elm Park Kid
Hob Nob Regular

by Elm Park Kid » 08 Jul 2021 13:09

Zip
Elm Park Kid
windermereROYAL

I would fully expect the EFL to allow us to bring in 4 or 5 players (mostly loanees) by the end of next month. What we won’t be able to do is paying transfer fees for players.

What's the difference though between bringing in a player for £1m and giving them a £500k salary or bringing in a player for free and giving them a £1.5m salary? Actually, in the latter case we are creating a larger long term financial burden.

The EFL is only going to care about the total cost to the club of a signing. If we a massively over FFP then why would they allow anything other than absolutely essential signings?

Orion1871
Hob Nob Regular

by Orion1871 » 08 Jul 2021 13:54

Oh well looks like the dream of taking on the 30k a week wages of 31 year old Harry Arter are over for "John Smith".

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 08 Jul 2021 14:16

Orion1871 Oh well looks like the dream of taking on the 30k a week wages of 31 year old Harry Arter are over for "John Smith".

On the upside, we can now cancel the order for his personal treatment table.

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 08 Jul 2021 14:28

From Despair To Where?
Orion1871 Oh well looks like the dream of taking on the 30k a week wages of 31 year old Harry Arter are over for "John Smith".

The irony being that most sane fans would give their left arm for a player of Arter's quality and experience.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 08 Jul 2021 15:02

Orion1871
Hob Nob Regular

by Orion1871 » 14 Jul 2021 20:08

Must be some real mental health issues in the Nottingham area because they can't wait to get rid of Arter.
Last edited by Orion1871 on 15 Jul 2021 19:24, edited 1 time in total.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 14 Jul 2021 22:48

Just had a quick look. They really don't like him, do they?

Hughton wants rid as well.

oldebiscuit

by oldebiscuit » 15 Jul 2021 19:10

Snowflake Royal There's a few people who need to wipe the shit off their specs

Looks like someone has stolen your thesaurus.

Simmops
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Simmops » 16 Jul 2021 11:07

John Smith
From Despair To Where?

The irony being that most sane fans would give their left arm for a player of Arter's quality and experience.

He really is not that good. Hence why he is playing there.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 16 Jul 2021 11:41

oldebiscuit
Snowflake Royal There's a few people who need to wipe the shit off their specs

Looks like someone has stolen your thesaurus.

I'm a bit old for dinosaur toys.

SouthDownsRoyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SouthDownsRoyal » 17 Jul 2021 21:52

I don’t think we will be in a relegation battle

Should be there or thereabouts top 6 8)

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 17 Jul 2021 21:58

Transfers this summer window are suggesting there's very little money around. Basically free transfers. Never a better time to have a "financial crisis" and rebuild for the future.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 18 Jul 2021 17:34

Elm Park Kid
Zip
Elm Park Kid

What's the difference though between bringing in a player for £1m and giving them a £500k salary or bringing in a player for free and giving them a £1.5m salary? Actually, in the latter case we are creating a larger long term financial burden.

The EFL is only going to care about the total cost to the club of a signing. If we a massively over FFP then why would they allow anything other than absolutely essential signings?

What’s the difference between signing a player for £1 million and paying them £1.5 million salary for 3 years and bringing them in on a free and paying a 500k salary for 1 year ?

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 18 Jul 2021 17:56

Nameless
Elm Park Kid
Zip

What’s the difference between signing a player for £1 million and paying them £1.5 million salary for 3 years and bringing them in on a free and paying a 500k salary for 1 year ?

The reaction from the Interspaz when the highly paid free transfer turns out to be crap

1865 posts