Relegation

1865 posts
Westwood52
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Relegation

by Westwood52 » 28 Jul 2021 09:44

I wonder how far season ticket holder numbers will drop if we are relegated.I am guessing current season ticket numbers are between 8 to 10 thousand ? Any ideas anyone ?TBF these are the hard core Reading fans,and I for one would keep my ST even if we are in L2.
However if the owners started taking the p**s,I might think differently.
I was watching a piece on Darlington the other day.It was alleged,that their Owner was a convicted safe cracker(how did that get past fit and proper).He moved the Club to a new state of the art 20k plus capacity new stadium;incurring a huge debt.Only for the club to drop out of the EFL and all but disappear.Anything is possible I suppose.
I hasten to add,that if we can just get hold of a couple of hard nosed seasoned pros;what with our flair players,we will avoid the drop.

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 28 Jul 2021 09:45

Westwood52 I wonder how far season ticket holder numbers will drop if we are relegated.I am guessing current season ticket numbers are between 8 to 10 thousand ? Any ideas anyone ?TBF these are the hard core Reading fans,and I for one would keep my ST even if we are in L2.
I was watching a piece on Darlington the other day.It was alleged,that their Owner was a convicted safe cracker(how did that get past fit and proper).He moved the Club to a new state of the art 20k plus capacity new stadium;incurring a huge debt.Only for the club to drop out of the EFL and all but disappear.Anything is possible I suppose.
I hasten to add,that if we can just get hold of a couple of hard nosed seasoned pros;what with our flair players,we will avoid the drop.

Completely unreadable.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 28 Jul 2021 09:51

Stranded Nah. Our 1st 11 is plenty good enough and there us some talent to push through. If we can make 3 decent signings, probably all on loan then we could do very well still.

In all likelihood, we'll finish around 10th to 15th.

22/23 could be tough looking at who is out of contract next summer.

Yes but a number of those first 11 are injury prone and will be out of action at various stages of the season. As things stand I think we are looking at a relegation battle.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 28 Jul 2021 10:31

Zip
Stranded Nah. Our 1st 11 is plenty good enough and there us some talent to push through. If we can make 3 decent signings, probably all on loan then we could do very well still.

In all likelihood, we'll finish around 10th to 15th.

22/23 could be tough looking at who is out of contract next summer.

Yes but a number of those first 11 are injury prone and will be out of action at various stages of the season. As things stand I think we are looking at a relegation battle.

It all depends who and when they get injured and naturally, picking up injuries in the past doesn't mean they will again (though likely).

If we lose say Swift and Joao for a long period together then life becomes more difficult naturally but I think there is enough there to comfortably avoid relegation unless we have a massive crisis. If we are allowed to bring in 3 or 4 players by the end of August then I think we will be looking up rather than down again - but nothing would surprise me to be fair.

Coppells Lost Coat
Hob Nob Regular

by Coppells Lost Coat » 28 Jul 2021 10:44

I do think once the Premier League transfer round about happens, some clubs will want to give fringe players a move away which might give us a few more options than whats on offer now. We are about 2 signings away from being comfortable....but i accept right now things look bleak, but always, the start of season i am willing to have my rose tints on.
If you start being all doom and gloom before a ball is kicked, writing off players, predicting everyone will be injured - you need to get out more.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 28 Jul 2021 10:51

We have to hope that one or two of the Academy boys can make the grade this season. That could help fill some of the gaps we have.

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 28 Jul 2021 11:11

Melvin-Lambert has gone back to St Patrick's on loan. You'd have to hope that means we're confident of getting another striker through the door.

Westwood52
Hob Nob Regular

by Westwood52 » 28 Jul 2021 11:41

NathStPaul
Westwood52 I wonder how far season ticket holder numbers will drop if we are relegated.I am guessing current season ticket numbers are between 8 to 10 thousand ? Any ideas anyone ?TBF these are the hard core Reading fans,and I for one would keep my ST even if we are in L2.

Completely unreadable.

Naff not Nath ?

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 28 Jul 2021 19:07

The silence is deafening. With our owner in China (?) . You wonder if there are issues behind the scenes. The transformation at Swindon. Is a breath of fresh air. How community football clubs should be run. An owner who is proactively engaging with the fans on a personal level and running the club in a totally open and transparent manner. With the Vice Chair of the Supporters Trust being appointed the new CEO.

Mid Sussex Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Mid Sussex Royal » 28 Jul 2021 19:09

Lower West The silence is deafening. With our owner in China (?) . You wonder if there are issues behind the scenes. The transformation at Swindon. Is a breath of fresh air. How community football clubs should be run. An owner who is proactively engaging with the fans on a personal level and running the club in a totally open and transparent manner. With the Vice Chair of the Supporters Trust being appointed the new CEO.

Yeh sounds great and will be a good PR thing but what do football fans know about multi million pound businesses, that's what the CEO does....

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 28 Jul 2021 22:46

Mid Sussex Royal
Lower West The silence is deafening. With our owner in China (?) . You wonder if there are issues behind the scenes. The transformation at Swindon. Is a breath of fresh air. How community football clubs should be run. An owner who is proactively engaging with the fans on a personal level and running the club in a totally open and transparent manner. With the Vice Chair of the Supporters Trust being appointed the new CEO.

Yeh sounds great and will be a good PR thing but what do football fans know about multi million pound businesses, that's what the CEO does....

New CEO at Swindon has held a number of senior management positions at the head office of the Nationwide Building Society (in the town). Recruited on merit not as a PR stunt. New owner is no fool. Like Sir John, a self made individual.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 29 Jul 2021 07:35

Lower West
Mid Sussex Royal

New CEO at Swindon has held a number of senior management positions at the head office of the Nationwide Building Society (in the town). Recruited on merit not as a PR stunt. New owner is no fool. Like Sir John, a self made individual.

So like Sir John, they’ll soon hit a ceiling, their fans will be asking for more, he’ll look to sell up and then they’ll be back in the same situation they were, along with the majority of the football league?

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 29 Jul 2021 07:52

Hendo
Lower West
Mid Sussex Royal

So like Sir John, they’ll soon hit a ceiling, their fans will be asking for more, he’ll look to sell up and then they’ll be back in the same situation they were, along with the majority of the football league?

Relating to one of his earlier points, why the hell wouldn't you want your owner to be silent? I want our owners to be quiet, fund the club and let good football people make the decisions. I don't want them meddling in team affairs or making grand statements in the press on a weekly basis.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 29 Jul 2021 07:54

NathStPaul
Hendo
Lower West

Relating to one of his earlier points, why the hell wouldn't you want your owner to be silent? I want our owners to be quiet, fund the club and let good football people make the decisions. I don't want them meddling in team affairs or making grand statements in the press on a weekly basis.

Agreed. Look at that previous batshit Leeds owner, what an embarrassment.

I’d probably like a little bit more from the higher ups at the club, but like you said more football people than the owner himself.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 29 Jul 2021 08:34

NathStPaul
Hendo
Lower West

People only want to hear from the owner when things are going wrong - which financially, within the current rules, they undoubtedly are but I never get what they expect the owner to say?

S/he will most likely just come out with comments that are fairly basic and just platitudes along the lines of "We are disappointed to find ourselves in the current situation as we are willing to finance the club further but the rules as are they are so we will have to act accordingly"

Do they expect them to say - ah shit we f*cked up here all, sorry? Because that will go down well.

We already know from VPs comments that the club are working with the EFL to sort things and understand what we can/can't do and if you believe the journalist Alan Nixon, we now know and could make signings shortly.

So yeah, for those who want to hear from the owners, what do you want them to say that isn't available via other sources?

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 29 Jul 2021 18:02

Stranded
NathStPaul
Hendo

People only want to hear from the owner when things are going wrong - which financially, within the current rules, they undoubtedly are but I never get what they expect the owner to say?

S/he will most likely just come out with comments that are fairly basic and just platitudes along the lines of "We are disappointed to find ourselves in the current situation as we are willing to finance the club further but the rules as are they are so we will have to act accordingly"

Do they expect them to say - ah shit we f*cked up here all, sorry? Because that will go down well.

We already know from VPs comments that the club are working with the EFL to sort things and understand what we can/can't do and if you believe the journalist Alan Nixon, we now know and could make signings shortly.

So yeah, for those who want to hear from the owners, what do you want them to say that isn't available via other sources?

So much of Football criticism from fans just amounts to a cliche used as an excuse to complain about poor performance.

See also:
No plan b
Lost the dressing room
Where's the money gone
Got to invest to accumulate
X is disinterested*
Needs to play 2 up
Needs wingers
Shouldn't play out
Too long ball
Manager's post match comments are too positive
Manager's post match comments aren't honest enough
Manager's post match comments are too clichéd

*uninterested

blythspartan
Hob Nob Regular

by blythspartan » 29 Jul 2021 20:17

We look doomed to be honest. I hope to god I’m wrong but I fear that we’re heading for a few years of misery. Our best players are too injury prone, we don’t have a midfield general like Parky and what does the manager know about a relegation dog fight? To be fair, I like him but I worry about how he’d cope if were scrapping at the bottom of the table. I’d appoint Colin if he was available, as love him or hate him he’d keep us up. Anyway, this will always be my team and I’ll support them whatever division we’re in.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 29 Jul 2021 20:35

Think we’ll be fine tbh. Enough quality in the squad, we should be able to add a few more decent loans and we’ll be good to go

Rafael
Yiadom Moore Morrison new LB
Rino Laurent
New RW swift Ejaria
Joao

With Puscas, Tetek, Azeez, Southwood, McIntyre, Holmes as back up is more than adequate.

It sounds like we can sign some players and we will. Not especially worried at all but doubt we’ll challenge the top 7

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 29 Jul 2021 20:45

Yes Alan Nixon tweeted that we will now be able to sign players and at a higher level than Derby can. So good news.

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 29 Jul 2021 22:04

Stranded
NathStPaul
Hendo

Where we are financially is totally predictable. Been on the cards for some time. The club has become little more than a billionaires plaything. For the current owner it's more about keeping face with the other Chinese owners. Who can achieve top flight football first.

1865 posts