Relegation

1865 posts
TiagoIlori

Re: Relegation

by TiagoIlori » 03 Aug 2021 19:37

Snowflake Royal
TiagoIlori
Lower West
There's no need for sympathy. If we had been promoted then would all be smiles and this conversation won't even be happening. Brentford found a way. A better model.

Our problems are self inflicted, but it’s more the EFL haven’t really helped us. As the main protection that limits the power of the owners to protect the long term wellbeing of the club, they don’t seem to have done that. Why did they let us spend 15m on two strikers in one summer when we played 4-2-3-1 and had a soft transfer embargo? There’s next to no transparency or accountability.

I too hope we follow the routes of Brentford and even QPR in developing players that either become assets or we sell for huge amounts. It pains me to think we used to be like that as well.

Why should the EFL help us? They told us the rules, we didn't follow them.

We should take some responsibility for our actions not demand someone should have babysat us harder.

The fans have constantly been calling for more spending and ambition. They'd have been outraged at interference from the FL before we'd broken any rules.

But we are not exactly “we” are we? Fans have next to no say on how the club is run, yet ultimately they are the most punished long term for the actions of certain individuals. The EFL have been at our heels over FFP since our massive losses during 17/18 and 18/19 so to then allow the club to spend that much straight after the soft transfer embargo was lifted was irresponsible, not to mention as I said them not closing that loophole to prevent stadium and training ground sales from counting towards FFP made it even worse for us.

If the EFL actually had some transparency over why x club can’t spend much money then it gives the fans no leg to stand on. Having a dedicated area of the website to show what embargo’s are in force is a positive step, but needs to go further. Owners of championship clubs have long been risking the clubs well-being to get into the premier league, it’s got to stop.

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 03 Aug 2021 22:13

TiagoIlori
Snowflake Royal
TiagoIlori Our problems are self inflicted, but it’s more the EFL haven’t really helped us. As the main protection that limits the power of the owners to protect the long term wellbeing of the club, they don’t seem to have done that. Why did they let us spend 15m on two strikers in one summer when we played 4-2-3-1 and had a soft transfer embargo? There’s next to no transparency or accountability.

I too hope we follow the routes of Brentford and even QPR in developing players that either become assets or we sell for huge amounts. It pains me to think we used to be like that as well.

Why should the EFL help us? They told us the rules, we didn't follow them.

We should take some responsibility for our actions not demand someone should have babysat us harder.

The fans have constantly been calling for more spending and ambition. They'd have been outraged at interference from the FL before we'd broken any rules.

But we are not exactly “we” are we? Fans have next to no say on how the club is run, yet ultimately they are the most punished long term for the actions of certain individuals. The EFL have been at our heels over FFP since our massive losses during 17/18 and 18/19 so to then allow the club to spend that much straight after the soft transfer embargo was lifted was irresponsible, not to mention as I said them not closing that loophole to prevent stadium and training ground sales from counting towards FFP made it even worse for us.

If the EFL actually had some transparency over why x club can’t spend much money then it gives the fans no leg to stand on. Having a dedicated area of the website to show what embargo’s are in force is a positive step, but needs to go further. Owners of championship clubs have long been risking the clubs well-being to get into the premier league, it’s got to stop.

The wall has been well and truly hit. One suspects some owners themselves haven't respected the rules and at every opportunity chosen to exploit a potential loophole.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 04 Aug 2021 19:21

If we stay up this year, it still looks like a ticking time bomb. At the end of this season, contracts expire for Rinomhota, Laurent, Morrison, Holmes, Swift, Rafael....have I missed anyone else? But I guess we just have to stay up and hope there is more leeway to renew contracts and make signings next summer.

Mid Sussex Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Mid Sussex Royal » 04 Aug 2021 20:04

WestYorksRoyal If we stay up this year, it still looks like a ticking time bomb. At the end of this season, contracts expire for Rinomhota, Laurent, Morrison, Holmes, Swift, Rafael....have I missed anyone else? But I guess we just have to stay up and hope there is more leeway to renew contracts and make signings next summer.

Pauno told the press expiring contracts will be negotiated in next 2/3 months

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 05 Aug 2021 17:11

Squad numbers are out - https://www.readingfc.co.uk/teams/ Azeez isn't listed, but has been given the number 30.

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 05 Aug 2021 17:11

Also I like how the relegation thread has just become the generic 21/22 thread, no questions asked.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 06 Aug 2021 07:21

Pepe the Horseman Squad numbers are out - https://www.readingfc.co.uk/teams/ Azeez isn't listed, but has been given the number 30.

That last injury seems to have aged Swift by about 10 years

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 06 Aug 2021 07:50

Hound
Pepe the Horseman Squad numbers are out - https://www.readingfc.co.uk/teams/ Azeez isn't listed, but has been given the number 30.

Looks like he was prescribed meth instead of painkillers.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 06 Aug 2021 08:32

Pepe the Horseman
Hound

All for it if it stops his hammy pinging again

Royalwaster
Hob Nob Regular

by Royalwaster » 06 Aug 2021 08:43

Give that a fair few of those pictured on there are either out injured or not in contention (McNulty) ... that looks like quite a small squad doesn't it? I guess it just shows that we'll be relying a lot on the U23s to bulk up the squad.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 06 Aug 2021 08:57

Pepe the Horseman
Hound

Very strong Jesse Pinkman vibes.

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 06 Aug 2021 09:01

John Swift - Breaking Badly in Training

linkenholtroyal
Hob Nob Regular

by linkenholtroyal » 06 Aug 2021 09:26

Hendo
Pepe the Horseman
Hound

Very strong Jesse Pinkman vibes.

It is only if he turns up in a motor home we have to be worried.

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal_jimmy » 06 Aug 2021 10:01

We really are fooked if we have a run of injuries

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 06 Aug 2021 10:35

Royal_jimmy We really are fooked if we have a run of injuries

This is of course true but we are not the only ones in this boat. Same could be said for about 15 teams in the Championship.

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal_jimmy » 07 Aug 2021 18:17

Let's hope Preston, Derby and Peterborough are worse than us this season

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 07 Aug 2021 18:40

We are down with 45 games to go, doomed I tell ya doomed. :D fcuking grow up

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 07 Aug 2021 19:09

NathStPaul
Royal_jimmy We really are fooked if we have a run of injuries

This is of course true but we are not the only ones in this boat. Same could be said for about 15 teams in the Championship.

A run of injuries now might persuade the FL that we could get an exemption on squad size and fill a couple of key gaps

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 07 Aug 2021 19:21

windermereROYAL We are down with 45 games to go, doomed I tell ya doomed. :D fcuking grow up
and only three points from Top of the league

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 07 Aug 2021 21:05

Royalwaster

Give that a fair few of those pictured on there are either out injured or not in contention (McNulty) ... that looks like quite a small squad doesn't it? I guess it just shows that we'll be relying a lot on the U23s to bulk up the squad.

If any more were ready to play at this level. They would have been on the bench today.

1865 posts