Relegation

1865 posts
WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Relegation

by WestYorksRoyal » 18 Sep 2021 17:10

Good thing I didn't get carried away and stick £50 on us after Huddersfield.

Simmops
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Simmops » 18 Sep 2021 19:42

NathStPaul
Snowflake Royal I do maintain that you never get the benefits of the lessons of failure if you just sack everyone every time things go badly though.

All our best managers have gone through real poor patches, and they all inherited squads and a club in a better state than we've been for years.

When rolling the dice and regularly changing continually fails, at what point do you do something different and see if someone can learn and grow?

Did Coppel go through a particularly bad spell (pre Premier League)? Sure he must have I just have absolutely no memory sadly.

*coppell

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 18 Sep 2021 20:03

Simmops
NathStPaul
Snowflake Royal I do maintain that you never get the benefits of the lessons of failure if you just sack everyone every time things go badly though.

All our best managers have gone through real poor patches, and they all inherited squads and a club in a better state than we've been for years.

When rolling the dice and regularly changing continually fails, at what point do you do something different and see if someone can learn and grow?

Did Coppel go through a particularly bad spell (pre Premier League)? Sure he must have I just have absolutely no memory sadly.

*coppell

If you’re going to correct it at least capitalise it :roll:

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 18 Sep 2021 20:11

Just ignore it.

Simmops
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Simmops » 18 Sep 2021 20:30

Franchise FC
Simmops
NathStPaul Did Coppel go through a particularly bad spell (pre Premier League)? Sure he must have I just have absolutely no memory sadly.

*coppell

If you’re going to correct it at least capitalise it :roll:

:roll:

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 18 Sep 2021 21:23

NathStPaul

Pretty sure in his first full season he went on a run of 12 games without a win.

<EDIT> It was 1 win in 14 from Christmas to March and the win was in the Cup. That run was ended by a Kitson hat trick against West Ham.

We were dreadfully inconsistent under him prior to 2005/06 and whilst no-one was particularly calling for his head, I doubt anyone would have picketed his car parking space, begging him to stay.

SouthDownsRoyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SouthDownsRoyal » 18 Sep 2021 22:30

Coppell

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 18 Sep 2021 22:53

From Despair To Where?
NathStPaul

Pretty sure in his first full season he went on a run of 12 games without a win.

<EDIT> It was 1 win in 14 from Christmas to March and the win was in the Cup. That run was ended by a Kitson hat trick against West Ham.

We were dreadfully inconsistent under him prior to 2005/06 and whilst no-one was particularly calling for his head, I doubt anyone would have picketed his car parking space, begging him to stay.
the last game (away at Wigwam) the season before 2005/2006 was his make or break point...we were sh1t before that....his words went something like “ listen to that” as Wigwams players celebrated promotion loudly in their dressing room....but then..anybody over the age of 30 already knew that stuff.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 19 Sep 2021 12:09

You know, what I'd really appreciate for the rest of this season is just some consistent mediocrity.

No great runs. No awful form.

Just a nice relatively even pattern of wins, draws and defeats and a solid 11th to 15th finish. Just chill for a season. No will we get the POs, no are we in a relegation fight.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 20 Sep 2021 09:14

Snowflake Royal You know, what I'd really appreciate for the rest of this season is just some consistent mediocrity.

Just a nice relatively even pattern of wins, draws and defeats and a solid 11th to 15th finish. Just chill for a season. No will we get the POs, no are we in a relegation fight.

Yeah, you know this club doesn't do that.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 20 Sep 2021 12:31

Stranded
Snowflake Royal You know, what I'd really appreciate for the rest of this season is just some consistent mediocrity.

Yeah, you know this club doesn't do that.

There is that.

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal_jimmy » 21 Sep 2021 22:18

This thread could well be 100 pages before the end of the season with the looming points deduction if it is applied

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal_jimmy » 03 Nov 2021 22:53

It's back on

URZZZZZZZZ
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Long knocks it back in.............IT'S READING WHO TAKE A MASSIVE STEP TOWARDS WEMBLEY!!

by URZZZZZZZZ » 04 Nov 2021 07:12

It’s cOPPELL

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 04 Nov 2021 09:07

Bookmakers know. I had a quick look before the Millwall game thinking that they may be conned by our league position and give us long odds, but the best available was 5/2 which made us 5th favourites after Derby, Barnsley, Hull and Peterborough.

So long as we don't get cut adrift, I'd back a fully fit squad in the New Year to put together a run and pull away though.

bcubed
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by bcubed » 04 Nov 2021 09:13

A fully fit squad
No you've lost me

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 04 Nov 2021 09:35

Just got to hang on in there - keep within 3 points of position above us. I think players back and they will be up for the fight as will the fans when it sinks in with the predicament we are in.

Hull City - do they have a points deduction incoming?

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 04 Nov 2021 09:49

WestYorksRoyal Bookmakers know. I had a quick look before the Millwall game thinking that they may be conned by our league position and give us long odds, but the best available was 5/2 which made us 5th favourites after Derby, Barnsley, Hull and Peterborough.

So long as we don't get cut adrift, I'd back a fully fit squad in the New Year to put together a run and pull away though.

Oddschecker have Derby nailed on for relegation with Hull next. Joint third favourites for relegation are us and Posh.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 04 Nov 2021 10:27

Zip
WestYorksRoyal Bookmakers know. I had a quick look before the Millwall game thinking that they may be conned by our league position and give us long odds, but the best available was 5/2 which made us 5th favourites after Derby, Barnsley, Hull and Peterborough.

Oddschecker have Derby nailed on for relegation with Hull next. Joint third favourites for relegation are us and Posh.

Fair with the deductions coming and the lack of fit players.

South Coast Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by South Coast Royal » 04 Nov 2021 11:35

Stranded
Zip

Fair with the deductions coming and the lack of fit players.

Didn't expect to see you in this topic. :wink:

It very much depends upon these next 9 games (as well as the points deduction of course) and garnering some points, any points
The key returners are Joao and Meite ,with Meite unlikely till late on in the season, and there is the major question of Swift staying or going.

If Joao doesn't return early in the New Year and/or gets injured straight away I can't see how we will score enough goals to stay up with the likelihood that nobody of note will be signed in January.

A gloomy outlook on a sunny November day but I feel that Swift is so important that if he gets his normal injury and/or leaves in January we are fcuked.
The best news would be to hear that he will be staying but I won't be holding my breath and who could blame him for moving to a higher level or a club with real ambition, realistic that is rather than just words.

1865 posts