Relegation

1865 posts
Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: Relegation

by Pepe the Horseman » 24 Jan 2022 13:29

URZZZZ
YorkshireRoyal99 I think Hull have a better side than both Peterborough and Barnsley though and I think momentum is exactly the reason they went down in their catastrophic season a couple of years ago as well. They lost their 2 best players but most of their other players were still of Championship quality, just probably bottom half which is where they are now.

I just don't think Peterborough or Barnsley have the quality for this level to be fair. They could get out of it with a good run, but I see that as far less likely than Hull, or even ourselves and Cardiff.

Unfortunately we saw a good run of Barnsley about this time last season! How far they’ve fallen, clearly them and Ismael were just a good match

Do find it strange that us, Barnsley and Cardiff were all promotion chasing sides last season (well, Cardiff briefly), and yet are the three teams in a relegation dogfight this year. The common theme being none of the the three sides were anything close to being consistent last season and all relied on one mega run to propel themselves up

Barnsley lost their manager and two of their best players, so not surprised to see them struggling. Obviously we know all about our problems. Cardiff is the only surprising one for me.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 24 Jan 2022 13:35

I'm not sure how much of a surprise Cardiff is personally speaking, their parachute payments will be gone by next season I believe, if not this season and they've got a lot of players on big wages, they could very well end up one of the next clubs with a points deduction and I'd believe that finances are beginning to take over their on-field performance, similar to Bristol City as well.

It's a shame these days that a lot of clubs towards the bottom of the Championship are struggling because of their financial situations rather than ability on the pitch.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 24 Jan 2022 15:21

YorkshireRoyal99 I'm not sure how much of a surprise Cardiff is personally speaking, their parachute payments will be gone by next season I believe, if not this season and they've got a lot of players on big wages, they could very well end up one of the next clubs with a points deduction and I'd believe that finances are beginning to take over their on-field performance, similar to Bristol City as well.

It's a shame these days that a lot of clubs towards the bottom of the Championship are struggling because of their financial situations rather than ability on the pitch.

Or are they struggling financially because of the money they're paying for poor ability on the pitch.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 24 Jan 2022 15:23

Snowflake Royal
YorkshireRoyal99 I'm not sure how much of a surprise Cardiff is personally speaking, their parachute payments will be gone by next season I believe, if not this season and they've got a lot of players on big wages, they could very well end up one of the next clubs with a points deduction and I'd believe that finances are beginning to take over their on-field performance, similar to Bristol City as well.

Or are they struggling financially because of the money they're paying for poor ability on the pitch.

It's hardly poor ability on the pitch though is it. Cardiff haven't gone from 8th to 20th overnight having largely the same squad as last season and it's not exactly a side that overachieved last season either really, probably underachieved as you'd have anticipated that, with their squad, they could have well finished in the top 6 last season. When Warnock left them he went on to say that he believed that Cardiff team could quite easily challenge for the top 2. Probably a bit of an exaggeration all things considered but, on paper, it's still a strong squad.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 24 Jan 2022 15:25

Can't be that strong if they're down the bottom with us.

Not like they've had a points deduction

Chairman Mao
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Chairman Mao » 24 Jan 2022 15:27

that deduction has really killed us. not just in terms of league position, but also in terms of motivation and attitude in the squad
we were 8th/9th about 3 months ago :cry: :cry: :cry:

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 24 Jan 2022 17:30

Chairman Mao that deduction has really killed us. not just in terms of league position, but also in terms of motivation and attitude in the squad

We saw it under Clarke / McDermott, loanees brought into challenge for promotion pack up and down tools when the going gets tough. John, Piazon, Drinkwater, Halilovic...

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 24 Jan 2022 21:54

Snowflake Royal
Chairman Mao that deduction has really killed us. not just in terms of league position, but also in terms of motivation and attitude in the squad

We saw it under Clarke / McDermott, loanees brought into challenge for promotion pack up and down tools when the going gets tough. John, Piazon, Drinkwater, Halilovic...

Hmmm you seemed to have changed your tune on Halilovic master Royal.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 24 Jan 2022 23:10

Zip
Snowflake Royal

Hmmm you seemed to have changed your tune on Halilovic master Royal.

No, I have no problem with him not being very robust in the challenge. His performances dipped after his return from injury, but he's still probably our best bet for a wide right player in Meite's absence.

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal_jimmy » 30 Jan 2022 14:49

Who would renew their ST if we were in league one?

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 30 Jan 2022 15:08

Royal_jimmy Who would renew their ST if we were in league one?

I'd get one again like a shot if Dai and Paunovic went.

Probably not as long as Dai is in charge.

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 30 Jan 2022 15:10

Me.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 30 Jan 2022 16:23

I would wait and see who the new manager was and what the squad looked like.

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 31 Jan 2022 16:51

I still think we will survive. Peterborough are just that bad.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 31 Jan 2022 16:56

John Smith I still think we will survive. Peterborough are just that bad.

I still also have a feeling about this as well. We have been terrible for a month, but it's obviously not down to a lack of quality, it's down to woeful form and incompetence in games.

Peterborough's season just looks like it's down to not being cut out at this level. I watched their game vs Sheff United, they worked hard, but they just didn't have the quality.

That's what may allow us to just keep our heads above water.

blythspartan
Hob Nob Regular

by blythspartan » 31 Jan 2022 17:20

I am more worried about Derby tbh.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 31 Jan 2022 17:21

blythspartan

I am more worried about Derby tbh.

Think they'll both pass us if Derby finish the season

Mid Sussex Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Mid Sussex Royal » 31 Jan 2022 18:30

Everyone is wetting themselves about Derby because the media all love Rooney and think they have been hard done by.

Well they haven't. I get the Boro thing is a bit tenuous but Wycombe have a very solid argument as they should have been deducted the points last season but continually used stalling tactics.

Since we played them we have lost every game they have picked up 4 points on us in a month so they are hardly on good form. In fact if they continue their Jan form for the rest of the season season they will likely be relegated.

andrew1957
Hob Nob Regular

by andrew1957 » 31 Jan 2022 19:22

Looking at Derby's last 10 games they have averaged a very respectable 1.5 points a game. I doubt they can do better than that second half of the season as they have even less players now - but assuming they carry on at 1.5 per game for the last 18 games that puts them on 42 points.

I doubt Peterborough (who are not very good) can match that and so the only question is whether we can get to say 43 points as Derby have a much superior goal difference - in which case we need about 21 points or 7 wins.

Frankly if even Pauno and the demotivated players cannot win 7 out of 18 (which includes 10 games against bottom half teams) then we deserve to go down and fair play to Derby if they do manage to survive and stay up.

blythspartan
Hob Nob Regular

by blythspartan » 31 Jan 2022 19:40

andrew1957 Looking at Derby's last 10 games they have averaged a very respectable 1.5 points a game. I doubt they can do better than that second half of the season as they have even less players now - but assuming they carry on at 1.5 per game for the last 18 games that puts them on 42 points.

I doubt Peterborough (who are not very good) can match that and so the only question is whether we can get to say 43 points as Derby have a much superior goal difference - in which case we need about 21 points or 7 wins.

Frankly if even Pauno and the demotivated players cannot win 7 out of 18 (which includes 10 games against bottom half teams) then we deserve to go down and fair play to Derby if they do manage to survive and stay up.

I hope we can get 7 more wins but from what I’ve witnessed in the last few games we’ll do well to get 12 more points.

1865 posts