Relegation

1865 posts
Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Relegation

by Royal_jimmy » 21 Nov 2021 07:05

I'm not feeling too nervous despite being 2 points off the drop. We're better than Barnsley, Hull and Peterborough and as long as we don't lose to one of those we'll be fine.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 21 Nov 2021 07:14

NathStPaul
paultheroyal I asked earlier but was not aware of a reply. Any more teams with points deductions incoming? Hull City perhaps?

Spoke to my brother about this earlier, he is a big Hull supporter. He says there isn't anything imminent if at all. Between the time they were relegated from the Championship to the time the came back this season they have not spent a single penny, sold/released big earners. He seems to think they are pretty safe for now. Also rumours of a sale to a Turkish businessman.

THe Turkish business man is a very dodgy character and whilst the current owners are not great he would be no improvement.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 23 Nov 2021 22:11

First six games P6, W1, D1, L4
Second six games P6, W5, D0, L1
Third six games P6, W1, D1, L4
Fourth P1, W0, D0, L1

What's the blip? We've now been awful more than twice as much as we've been good.

Still losing more than half our games.

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 23 Nov 2021 23:30

After Saturday I was thinking we have too much quality to go down, after tonight it`s a distinct possibility.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 24 Nov 2021 00:03

Come on guys.

Our form has been comfortably midtable all season (23 points pre deduction) and that includes the first few games with players not brought in yet and the lion's share of the season with ridiculous injuries and selection worries.

We now have players coming back not to mention Carroll so our form can only improve.

A close defeat against a team killing the game with boredom and we are going down!?

So much bedwetting going on you guys must have shares in adult nappies.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 24 Nov 2021 01:23

Snowflake Royal First six games P6, W1, D1, L4
Fourth P1, W0, D0, L1

What's the blip? We've now been awful more than twice as much as we've been good.

A continuation of the collapse from last season

We won’t get relegated but by the same token, we’re not going anywhere. Time to move on

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 24 Nov 2021 07:03

URZZZZ
Fourth P1, W0, D0, L1

We won’t get relegated but by the same token, we’re not going anywhere. Time to move on

My view is turning to, if VP isn't going to be here next season (and I'm not convinced he will be) then maybe we are better off changing it up sooner rather than later.

Going back to 4231 last night, against that opposition was a pretty negligent decision. Screaming out for us to match up against them.

linkenholtroyal
Hob Nob Regular

by linkenholtroyal » 24 Nov 2021 07:25

All of this about changing the manager is pretty much nul and void. As long as we stay out of the relegation places Paunovic will stay. We have a FFP situation in which a severance package will make worse to let him go. He has a contract till the end of the season in which the decision will be made then. It just makes financial sense.

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal_jimmy » 24 Nov 2021 10:08

linkenholtroyal All of this about changing the manager is pretty much nul and void. As long as we stay out of the relegation places Paunovic will stay. We have a FFP situation in which a severance package will make worse to let him go. He has a contract till the end of the season in which the decision will be made then. It just makes financial sense.

He's got 6 months until the end of his contract. It wouldn't cost us much to get rid of him and his backroom staff. Few hundred grand maybe.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 24 Nov 2021 10:13

linkenholtroyal All of this about changing the manager is pretty much nul and void. As long as we stay out of the relegation places Paunovic will stay. We have a FFP situation in which a severance package will make worse to let him go. He has a contract till the end of the season in which the decision will be made then. It just makes financial sense.

If Peterborough and Hull win tonight we will be in the relegation zone. It won’t make any financial sense at all keeping hold of him if it looks like he is taking us down.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 24 Nov 2021 10:23

Stranded
URZZZZ
Fourth P1, W0, D0, L1

My view is turning to, if VP isn't going to be here next season (and I'm not convinced he will be) then maybe we are better off changing it up sooner rather than later.

Going back to 4231 last night, against that opposition was a pretty negligent decision. Screaming out for us to match up against them.

Looked to me like a 4-3-2-1 with Ejaria on the right, Drinkwater middle, Laurent left with DB and Swift ahead. Whatever it was, it really didn’t work!

South Coast Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by South Coast Royal » 24 Nov 2021 11:44

Millsy Come on guys.

Our form has been comfortably midtable all season (23 points pre deduction) and that includes the first few games with players not brought in yet and the lion's share of the season with ridiculous injuries and selection worries.

We now have players coming back not to mention Carroll so our form can only improve.

A close defeat against a team killing the game with boredom and we are going down!?

"We now have players coming back".
That always sounds good but, apart from giving some of the current players a rest will those coming back make a great difference?
The two major players who would definitely make a difference are Joao and Meite and there is no indication that they will be ready this year and, in Meite's case, maybe not this season.

Drawing and losing home games against mid-table opposition is relegation form and our next 2 away games are Swansea and WBA where it is unlikely (not impossible) that we will get any points.

Factor in Swift probably leaving in January and the likelihood that we can't sign anybody of note and the future does seem rather bleak.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 24 Nov 2021 11:47

windermereROYAL After Saturday I was thinking we have too much quality to go down, after tonight it`s a distinct possibility.

Felt the same to an extent. Really frustrated with everything last night

But we do have decent players there and have shown we can go on good runs as well as bad. Carroll could end up being a masterstroke as I'd be even more concerned without him atm

Too many players just putting in average performance after average performance currently.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 24 Nov 2021 12:39

South Coast Royal
Millsy Come on guys.

That always sounds good but, apart from giving some of the current players a rest will those coming back make a great difference?
The two major players who would definitely make a difference are Joao and Meite and there is no indication that they will be ready this year and, in Meite's case, maybe not this season.

Drawing and losing home games against mid-table opposition is relegation form and our next 2 away games are Swansea and WBA where it is unlikely (not impossible) that we will get any points.

Factor in Swift probably leaving in January and the likelihood that we can't sign anybody of note and the future does seem rather bleak.

Halilovic transformed our game when he came in before on the right. Direct pacey running and combination with Swift.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 24 Nov 2021 12:52

South Coast Royal
Millsy Come on guys.

I take the point of Swift leaving, yes that is a worry.

But I wouldn't call two games meaningful "form", just temporary. The form that counts is form over the season and 23 points is comfortable midtable form over a longer more useful set of games.

Yes players coming back will provide rest which we absolutely mustn't underestimate, given several times now Pauno's excuse is that they're tired and to be fair we've seen them look absolutely shattered several games already. They'll also mean we don't play a load of games with 4 players totally out of position (midfielders in defence and at right back, wingers up front)

It's not just that though, we have the likes of Hal who I think was instrumental in our excellent patch of games.

Agree though that it's Joao and Meite we really want. But I'm not saying we'll be back to superstrength, just saying whatever we have now (bar losing Swift possibly) will be significantly better than the struggles we've had in recent weeks - struggles that have had us playing with midtable form.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 24 Nov 2021 12:55

What about 4 points from 7 games?

Our form, for two runs of a decent amount, has been sub relegation form.

Those run of wins are only going to pad out our ppg for so long before the longer term more embedded form overrides them

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 24 Nov 2021 13:01

What about 1 point from our last 4 home games, the form on our own onion patch has been a concern since the play-off season, I will look it up but I`m sure it makes pretty grim reading.
Without winning home games consistently you are always fighting a losing battle. if it doesn`t improve then if not this season sooner or later we will drop.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 24 Nov 2021 13:04

windermereROYAL What about 1 point from our last 4 home games, the form on our own onion patch has been a concern since the play-off season, I will look it up but I`m sure it makes pretty grim reading.
Without winning home games consistently you are always fighting a losing battle. if it doesn`t improve then if not this season sooner or later we will drop.

It's since we got promoted bar 2 seasons. That's a decade

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 24 Nov 2021 13:13

It's this sort of cherry-picking small numbers of games that causes understandable anxiety and I do hear the arguments. I'm no Pauno-defender as last season we were debating the other way.

It also works the other way when we win a couple on the bounce and we think we're world beaters and Pauno is God.

A more sensible and sane approach is obviously to look at the wider picture, which is always worth more statistically and common sensically. The undeniable fact is that our form THIS SEASON THUS FAR has been comfortably midtable. Smoothing out all the ups, all the downs, the period without his chosen players, the period with all players fit and hitting form, and the longer period of utter desperation with injuries and playing people out of position and noone on the bench. All in all, warts and all, all that shit has given us a form of comfortable mid-table.

Yes with the deduction things look a bit scary but we are still that "comfortable mid-table" team and nothing has got worse. If anything it can only look better with players returning from injury slowly and with Carroll with us for the time being.

Whatever criticisms we throw at Pauno have been the case for months - I've been shovelling these criticisms at him non-stop since last season and called for him to be sacked until very recently. I don't see anything that has suddenly made him even shitter as a manager. If anything he's given me a fair bit of hope and seems to have learned a couple of things, playing 442 to chase games for example, bringing in a striker etc.

I see absolutely no reason to panic now any more than we should have done mid-last season where I seemed to be I think one of the only three here who were.

Currently not in a relagation spot, but a team playing generally midtable form. That = not ending up in a relegation spot at the end fo the season.

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 24 Nov 2021 13:17

I don`t want to go all the way back but the home form since the play-off season does indeed make grim reading, 4 seasons and 10 games.

P102 W36 D24 L42 . on average we are losing 10 games a season and winning 8, that's just not sustainable and you can see it in the attendance figures.
Fans want to see their team win and bounce out of the ground with a smile on their faces, we see precious little of that now.

1865 posts