Relegation

1865 posts
Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: Relegation

by Lower West » 06 Sep 2021 21:27

morganb
tidus_mi2 Only thing I'm clinging to right now is that all our defeats so far this season have been to teams who currently occupy the top half of the table after 5 games.

My thinking is that last season we won 7 of our first 8 but didn't go up, this year we're going to lose 7 of our first 8 and not go down.

49 points isn't a great total to aim for. Reckon the Championship is going to divide this year into 3 distinct camps. Lack of goal firepower is going to cost us dear.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 06 Sep 2021 21:43

tidus_mi2 Only thing I'm clinging to right now is that all our defeats so far this season have been to teams who currently occupy the top half of the table after 5 games.

Obviously if that pattern continues, it's not exactly a great sign for the QPR game but hopefully 2 weeks of preparation and time to bed in the new signings, we might actually put in somewhat of a respectable performance.

Will be a very different squad going into the QPR game. Almost like we are starting the season again.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 06 Sep 2021 23:20

Elm Park Kid
Snowflake Royal
muirinho
As one of the "mixed company", to whom you are possibly referring, I couldn't give a maggot-ridden monkey's putrefying bollocks what sort of swearing is going on. Casually abusing people by refusing to spell their names correctly or naming them "toilet" on the other hand, I find fucking pig-ignorant.

But, given the fuck-witted, pustulant source, entirely un-fucking-surprising

:shock: :? :o :lol:

I'll stop using toilet immediately.

I hate to think the mess you're going to make of your bathroom!

:lol:

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 06 Sep 2021 23:36

Snowflake Royal
Elm Park Kid
Snowflake Royal :shock: :? :o :lol:

I'll stop using toilet immediately.

Especially considering how full of shit he is.

:wink:

Simmops
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Simmops » 07 Sep 2021 07:19

So if we lose the next game how long do we think he's got then?

If we win im hoping it gives us a few more games.

blythspartan
Hob Nob Regular

by blythspartan » 07 Sep 2021 07:43

Simmops So if we lose the next game how long do we think he's got then?

I think win or lose they’ll give him until at least Christmas now. Hopefully, the international break will have given him time sort out our defence. I hope that the failure to sign another striker doesn’t come back to haunt us.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 07 Sep 2021 08:04

CountryRoyal
Snowflake Royal
Elm Park Kid

Especially considering how full of shit he is.

:wink:

:P

Coppells Lost Coat
Hob Nob Regular

by Coppells Lost Coat » 07 Sep 2021 08:18

blythspartan

I think win or lose they’ll give him until at least Christmas now. Hopefully, the international break will have given him time sort out our defence. I hope that the failure to sign another striker doesn’t come back to haunt us.

Think he will have till November if the results keep the way they are. But we all know how batshit crazy the championship is, we could be top 6 by then, we are only 6 points away... :wink:

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 07 Sep 2021 08:22

blythspartan

I think he's got 5 games max to show an improvement and 2 of those are Fulham and QPR who should smash us on current form.

The owners have itchy trigger fingers and if you look at his current run vs previous managers, it don't look good.

Pauno P16, W2, D7, L6, Pts 13, ppg 0.8
Bowen P20, W5, D5, L10, Pts 20, ppg 1
Gomes P21, W4, D7, L10, Pts 19, ppg 0.9
Clement P28, W6, D8, L14, Pts 26, 0.9

That's right, Pauno's current run is the worst of any of the recent managers to be sacked since we openly said we were too patient with Stam.

Sadly he's a dead man walking without a quick and fairly drastic uplift.

Round and round we go.

blythspartan
Hob Nob Regular

by blythspartan » 07 Sep 2021 08:38

Snowflake Royal
blythspartan

I think he's got 5 games max to show an improvement and 2 of those are Fulham and QPR who should smash us on current form.

The owners have itchy trigger fingers and if you look at his current run vs previous managers, it don't look good.

That's right, Pauno's current run is the worst of any of the recent managers to be sacked since we openly said we were too patient with Stam.

Round and round we go.

Christ I hadn’t realised he’d been quite that bad. I am almost dreading the QPR game but I am naively hoping we can turn things around.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 07 Sep 2021 08:52

blythspartan
Snowflake Royal
blythspartan

Round and round we go.

Christ I hadn’t realised he’d been quite that bad. I am almost dreading the QPR game but I am naively hoping we can turn things around.

Yep.

And ignoring last season, it's P5, W1, D0, L4, Pts 3, ppg 0.6

Assuming we lose to Fulham and QPR, but manage to beat Posh, that's so even if we won the next two he'd still be on P10, W4, D0, L6, Pts 12, ppg 1.2 ... that's the best case scenario and would probably give him another 5 to 10 games. Can anyone see that happening?

Simmops
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Simmops » 07 Sep 2021 09:00

Snowflake Royal
blythspartan
Snowflake Royal I think he's got 5 games max to show an improvement and 2 of those are Fulham and QPR who should smash us on current form.

Round and round we go.

Yep.

And ignoring last season, it's P5, W1, D0, L4, Pts 3, ppg 0.6

Assuming we lose to Fulham and QPR, but manage to beat Posh, that's so even if we won the next two he'd still be on P10, W4, D0, L6, Pts 12, ppg 1.2 ... that's the best case scenario and would probably give him another 5 to 10 games. Can anyone see that happening?

Will we beat Posh though? They seem to love scoring goals and we can't defend at the moment.

I think 0 points from those 3 games he's gone. 1 point will be thin ice.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 07 Sep 2021 09:03

Snowflake Royal
blythspartan

Round and round we go.

That is grim :shock:

Imho a shame we didn’t get rid of earlier, he’s now brought in his own players but likely will only have a few games with them before some other guy comes in. Don’t have any confidence things will change especially without a striker and like you mentioned, the top two to play.

muirinho
Hob Nob Regular

by muirinho » 07 Sep 2021 09:21

CountryRoyal
Snowflake Royal
blythspartan

Round and round we go.

That is grim :shock:

Imho a shame we didn’t get rid of earlier, he’s now brought in his own players but likely will only have a few games with them before some other guy comes in. Don’t have any confidence things will change especially without a striker and like you mentioned, the top two to play.

Wow, I know it's been bad, but quite how horrendous it was hadn't clicked. Maybe because I have only been at one of these losses in person.
Right, well that's cheered me right up :-( And Republic of Ireland's form is equally abysmal.

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 07 Sep 2021 09:24

Snowflake Royal
blythspartan

Round and round we go.

Christ we`ve had some cracking managers recently and that includes Stam`s second season, where will it sodding end and we actually get someone through the door that can upturn our fortunes?

morganb
Hob Nob Regular

by morganb » 07 Sep 2021 10:50

windermereROYAL Christ we`ve had some cracking managers recently and that includes Stam`s second season, where will it sodding end and we actually get someone through the door that can upturn our fortunes?

The general consensus is that player recruitment has improved in recent seasons so hopefully manager recruitment will also improve if and when he goes.

However, player recruitment is now done by committee where Pauno is one of the members so it will be a bit like turkeys voting for Christmas if he had to find his own replacement! Not sure of the qualifications/qualities of the other board members.

I'm not sure how we go about finding a suitable manager (or how it was done in the past) and also how manager pay-offs/recruitment falls within FFP.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 07 Sep 2021 11:31

morganb
windermereROYAL Christ we`ve had some cracking managers recently and that includes Stam`s second season, where will it sodding end and we actually get someone through the door that can upturn our fortunes?

The general consensus is that player recruitment has improved in recent seasons so hopefully manager recruitment will also improve if and when he goes.

However, player recruitment is now done by committee where Pauno is one of the members so it will be a bit like turkeys voting for Christmas if he had to find his own replacement! Not sure of the qualifications/qualities of the other board members.

I'm not sure how we go about finding a suitable manager (or how it was done in the past) and also how manager pay-offs/recruitment falls within FFP.

Manager wages will be a cost that is included in FFP. If we pay up his contract, that probably wouldn't add a cost to FFP, but it would add the cost of a replacement on top of what we pay him off with.

If, for example, we paid off his whole contract, we'd essentially be paying for two managers (and coaching teams if his staff go) at once for the rest of the season.

At least that would be what made sense to me.

3points
Hob Nob Regular

by 3points » 07 Sep 2021 12:54

Snowflake Royal
morganb

Manager wages will be a cost that is included in FFP. If we pay up his contract, that probably wouldn't add a cost to FFP, but it would add the cost of a replacement on top of what we pay him off with.

If, for example, we paid off his whole contract, we'd essentially be paying for two managers (and coaching teams if his staff go) at once for the rest of the season.

At least that would be what made sense to me.

we're probably still paying for Clement and Gomes :)

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 07 Sep 2021 13:08

windermereROYAL
Snowflake Royal
blythspartan

Round and round we go.

Christ we`ve had some cracking managers recently and that includes Stam`s second season, where will it sodding end and we actually get someone through the door that can upturn our fortunes?

not sure thats completely fair. Except Stam season 2, theyve all come in in very tricky situations. Pauno massively overachieved on expectations last season. Gomes kept us up and had us playing some ok stuff at times, Clement did at least keep us up and Bowen by most people's judgements did a half decent job, if some of the football was uninspiring at times. None brilliant, but wouldn't say any were particularly awful either, though Gomes was very much found out in S2.

up until Saturday, Pauno hadn't even made a perm signing of his own.

That Stam second season really really screwed us over. I think we've been trying to recover ever since. Blowing the budget and leaving us with a relegation standard squad, often on huge contracts was desperately poor. He actually did a cracking job in similarly difficult financial circumstances in season 1

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 07 Sep 2021 15:44

So just to clarify we're not allowed to call Jnr Hoillet, Jnr Toilet?

1865 posts