Relegation

1865 posts
Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Relegation

by Snowflake Royal » 10 Jan 2022 20:14

Barney Totally agree with Zip and CR.

No one can say if we will be competitive in League One. We would have less season ticket holders. less revenue through the gate,
and a massvie drop in revenue from Sky. Take into account that far less than 30% of income is through season tickets and gate receipts.
Like most clubs in the Championship, it is the revenue from Sky TV which keeps us going. We would see a drop of between 85%-90% from Sky if we were in League one.

Ask any fan of Portsmouth, Bolton, Sunderland, Ipswich etc etc if they have found it better in the lower leagues !!!!

I can only assume that folks say "it would be OK to be relegated" have quite honestly, never been there !

Must must stay up. And if anyone wants to look forward to a game against Poxford or Pompey.....let's play them in the Championship.

Seriously....relegation would be a massive blow to the club. Please don't think otherwise.

Pretty much the precise reason I'm ok with relegation is because I HAVE been there and seen it.

For every Sunderland, Pompey, Bolton and Ipswich there's a Norwich, Leicester, Sheffield Utd, Leeds, Blackburn, Forest.

Sunderland will be back soon enough too. Ipswich and Pompey probably not too far behind.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 10 Jan 2022 20:22

Snowflake Royal

No one can say if we will be competitive in League One. We would have less season ticket holders. less revenue through the gate,
and a massvie drop in revenue from Sky. Take into account that far less than 30% of income is through season tickets and gate receipts.
Like most clubs in the Championship, it is the revenue from Sky TV which keeps us going. We would see a drop of between 85%-90% from Sky if we were in League one.

Ask any fan of Portsmouth, Bolton, Sunderland, Ipswich etc etc if they have found it better in the lower leagues !!!!

I can only assume that folks say "it would be OK to be relegated" have quite honestly, never been there !

Must must stay up. And if anyone wants to look forward to a game against Poxford or Pompey.....let's play them in the Championship.

Seriously....relegation would be a massive blow to the club. Please don't think otherwise.

Pretty much the precise reason I'm ok with relegation is because I HAVE been there and seen it.

For every Sunderland, Pompey, Bolton and Ipswich there's a Norwich, Leicester, Sheffield Utd, Leeds, Blackburn, Forest.

Sunderland will be back soon enough too. Ipswich and Pompey probably not too far behind.

It has taken the majority of those sides years to make it back up though. Portsmouth and Sunderland have been down there for years now.

I don't doubt if we went down then we would make it back up at some point, but I don't think we'd do it at the first attempt.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 10 Jan 2022 20:30

YorkshireRoyal99
Snowflake Royal

It has taken the majority of those sides years to make it back up though. Portsmouth and Sunderland have been down there for years now.

I don't doubt if we went down then we would make it back up at some point, but I don't think we'd do it at the first attempt.

Forest and Leeds did it in 3
Blackburn, Leicester and Norwich did it in the minimum 1. Sheff Utd took six, which is longer than I thought. So take Saints instead, who did it in 2. That's half who did it at first time of asking.

And most of them went back up to the PL as well.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 10 Jan 2022 20:36

Then what about the likes of Charlton who were there for 4/5 years and are now back there, Sunderland have been there for 3/4 years, Ipswich 2 seasons likely to be 3, Bolton 3rd season outside the Championship, Portsmouth, Blackpool before they came up etc.

I know we would get back up eventually, but I think we'd but one case where it would take 3/4 years, I hope I'd be wrong though.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 10 Jan 2022 20:37

YorkshireRoyal99 Then what about the likes of Charlton who were there for 4/5 years and are now back there, Sunderland have been there for 3/4 years, Ipswich 2 seasons likely to be 3, Bolton 3rd season outside the Championship, Portsmouth, Blackpool before they came up etc.

I know we would get back up eventually, but I think we'd but one case where it would take 3/4 years, I hope I'd be wrong though.

You know when I said for every .... there's a .... :roll:

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 10 Jan 2022 20:39

Snowflake Royal
YorkshireRoyal99 Then what about the likes of Charlton who were there for 4/5 years and are now back there, Sunderland have been there for 3/4 years, Ipswich 2 seasons likely to be 3, Bolton 3rd season outside the Championship, Portsmouth, Blackpool before they came up etc.

You know when I said for every .... there's a .... :roll:

But most of the clubs you've named were in far better shape than what we will be, with the likes of Blackburn for example who were able to retain most of their squad and build from that. We have about a dozen players contracted beyond this summer with restrictions given what our wages will need to be as well to avoid another points deduction.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 10 Jan 2022 20:51

Relegation would be rubbish. We can reset and stay in the champ. Going down wouldn’t achieve anything other than having to put up with a poorer standard of football (yep open goal there I know)

We’d just lose anyone half decent and have to make do with slightly worse players

Absolutely no reason other than the poor management that we can’t hold our own in the champ. And that’s the same poor management who we’d be relegated with

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 10 Jan 2022 20:52

Relegation might be a disaster for some but once it happens don’t think it will bother me too much.

Ok I’ll still want to see us winning football matches of course but playing our academy lads, watching them develop and having a club managed within a sensible budget, whatever League we are in, would be far more enjoyable and satisfying than the shite we’ve seen during a lot of our current stint in the Championship.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 10 Jan 2022 20:56

Royal Rother Relegation might be a disaster for some but once it happens don’t think it will bother me too much.

Ok I’d still want to see winning us football matches but playing our academy lads, watching them develop and having a club managed within a sensible budget, whatever League we are in, would be far more enjoyable and satisfying than the shite we’ve seen during a lot of our current stint in the Championship.

No guarantee academy lads would 1) be played and 2) be good enough.
If we go down it could get considerably worse before it gets better. Would Yongge then consider pulling the club?
We mustn’t go down.

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 10 Jan 2022 21:00

Zip
Royal Rother Relegation might be a disaster for some but once it happens don’t think it will bother me too much.

Ok I’d still want to see winning us football matches but playing our academy lads, watching them develop and having a club managed within a sensible budget, whatever League we are in, would be far more enjoyable and satisfying than the shite we’ve seen during a lot of our current stint in the Championship.

If we go down it could get considerably worse before it gets better. Would Yongge then consider pulling the club?
We mustn’t go down.

Next season is unlikely to be any better as matters stand. Just another season of the same. Better that we find our level and rebuild from there. Pointless having an academy set up if we cannot produce home grown talent. Saves money in terms of transfer fees.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 10 Jan 2022 21:03

Yup, football for teams like us is cyclic, we’ve lost our pedals, we’ll eventually find a motor instead.

Hardly enamoured at the moment, but not the end of my world, for sure, eitherway RR.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 10 Jan 2022 21:04

Lower West
Zip

We mustn’t go down.

Next season is unlikely to be any better as matters stand. Just another season of the same. Better that we find our level and rebuild from there. Pointless having an academy set up if we cannot produce home grown talent. Saves money in terms of transfer fees.

It’s down to the manager who plays though and we won’t know who will be in charge if we go down. They may want to play experienced players.
I’m very much in favour of playing Academy lads but relegation does not automatically mean that’s the route we go down,

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 10 Jan 2022 21:16

Zip

We mustn’t go down.

If he goes all the better. He's not going to fold the club. He's not an asset stripper, we're a toy. There'd be a buyer.

It may get much worse before it gets better. It could qlso get much better quickly. And if we stay up it could remain utterly shit.

We've already been total toss for most of almost 10 years.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 10 Jan 2022 21:19

Snowflake Royal
Zip

We mustn’t go down.

If he goes all the better. He's not going to fold the club. He's not an asset stripper, we're a toy. There'd be a buyer.

It may get much worse before it gets better. It could qlso get much better quickly. And if we stay up it could remain utterly shit.

Would there be a buyer? We struggled to get someone to buy the club when Madejski was owner and we were in a far better state then. Yongge also has a track record when it comes to clubs folding.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 10 Jan 2022 21:22

Zip
Snowflake Royal
Zip
We mustn’t go down.

Would there be a buyer? We struggled to get someone to buy the club when Madejski was owner and we were in a far better state then. Yongge also has a track record when it comes to clubs folding.

Far too much interest in English football. We were in just as bad a spot when the Thais stepped in, and we're almost through the worst of our current predicament.

It's exceptionally rare that clubs of our size cease to be these days

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal_jimmy » 11 Jan 2022 08:21

Snowflake Royal
Coppells Lost Coat
Snowflake Royal
Southwood - is performing broadly at Championship level - 1st XI
Andresson - Already getting some L1 experience with Morecambe 1st XVIII
Boyce-Clarke - unknown but promising
Bristow - seems a little out of his depth at Championship level but some promise there. Ok Squad
Ashcroft - seems a bit lightweight and unready for Championship, Maybe Squad
Dorsett - playing ok at L2 already Ok Squad
Holzman - was poor against Kiddie, on just one game not remotely ready - Not Ready
Stickland - unclear, but seemed ok in cameo
Osorio - probably a little way off yet, but promising and who knows in a year Maybe Squad
Tetek - pushing the edges of our first team. Should be good enough. First XVIII
Camara - looks promising, not really a consistent champ player yet - OK Squad
Clarke - looks a bit shy of Champ standard, but has scored some good goals and could do a job - OK Squad
Ehibhatiomhan - could potentially break through for the squad. Maybe Squad

I make it that whilst most probably aren't ready to fill out the first XVIII, they could probably fill out the remaining 6 or 7 squad positions

LOL
So basically the academy team isn't ready for L1 except for a GK and we would need to replace most of the team with mercenaries / cheap replacements for those who dont want to play in L1. I cant imagine Joao, Meite Puscas , Moore, Ejaria wanting league 1, and thats half from the remaining 8 in contract. We could easily be down to 4 players if people dont get their shit together - worst case scenario.

Obviously a lot of players will sign a new contracts with us but not the ones who are established champ players. And we could do some shrewd signings and get a few tidy players in.
Relegation would be a disaster for the club. As a fan, yeah it might be more enjoyable but the football will suffer. If anyone thinks playing Portsmouth, the arm pit of the south coast, as a positive.... needs to give there head a wobble

I certainly hope Moore doesn't fancy L1 and oxf*rd off. That would free up enough money for at least 3 good L1 players.

Meite would be the only one I'd see as a real loss in terms of delivery on value.

And for each who goes, we have extend the contract of someone cheaper and afford a new L1 player.

Very conservative look at the Academy based on where we are now too. More games for any of the more fringe ones between now and relegation could easily revise them up to first team readiness.

Ian really wants us to be playing Morecambe and Accrington next season!

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal_jimmy » 11 Jan 2022 08:37

YorkshireRoyal99
Snowflake Royal

It took us 4 years last time we went down to league one to get promoted back to the championship. And that was arguably when the club was less of a shambles and better run than it is now.

Tobin Pinkler

by Tobin Pinkler » 11 Jan 2022 08:42

Royal_jimmy
YorkshireRoyal99
Snowflake Royal Pretty much the precise reason I'm ok with relegation is because I HAVE been there and seen it.

It took us 4 years last time we went down to league one to get promoted back to the championship. And that was arguably when the club was less of a shambles and better run than it is now.

Without a doubt.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 11 Jan 2022 09:03

Snowflake Royal
Zip
Snowflake Royal If he goes all the better. He's not going to fold the club. He's not an asset stripper, we're a toy. There'd be a buyer.

Far too much interest in English football. We were in just as bad a spot when the Thais stepped in, and we're almost through the worst of our current predicament.

It's exceptionally rare that clubs of our size cease to be these days

yeah there'd be someone. Still a lot to like about owning the club. Worst case is Mike Ashley might make us part of his Sports Direct empire

Coppells Lost Coat
Hob Nob Regular

by Coppells Lost Coat » 11 Jan 2022 09:04

With the squad committed to next season, there would have to be a massive recruitment process. So you would need to ask, what would attract players to Reading if we are in L1? We are not an attractive club to play for - thats why we pay over the odds on wages.
A club in financial free fall, points deduction, wide spread rumours of a rotten upper management team. No DoF. A support base that boo and abuse players to a disgusting level.
Top level training facility + good academy set up. Nice surrounding areas to live + some good schools.

Staying in the champ is vital this season if we get relegated next season then we could be in a better shape to do so, but this season we must stay up. We can build a young hungry, smaller squad in the champ.

1865 posts