Relegation

1865 posts
ReadingGlasses

Re: Relegation

by ReadingGlasses » 18 Mar 2022 10:40

One thing which really worries me about relegation is that it's not just that, there's also the second massive problem which is that most of the squad are out of contract and there needs to be a big rebuilding effort.

Whoever the new manager is will need to be someone who can hit the ground running with a list of new players to try and bring in. This is especially true if the club gets relegated, because there may be some of the remaining in-contract players who also want to leave.

The troubling thing is that the owners have a track record of appointing managers who don't have a lot of experience of the division Reading are in. I can easily imagine the club going down, losing a load of players, and then appointing someone obscure with no experience in England who has to somehow figure out a nearly full squad's worth of signings. While still under strict spending limits.

Even if Ince remains as manager, has he got the necessary experience to pull something like that off? I'm not confident.

This will still be a problem if relegation is avoided, but relegation could make it a lot harder.

Elm Park Kid
Hob Nob Regular

by Elm Park Kid » 18 Mar 2022 10:49

ReadingGlasses One thing which really worries me about relegation is that it's not just that, there's also the second massive problem which is that most of the squad are out of contract and there needs to be a big rebuilding effort.

Whoever the new manager is will need to be someone who can hit the ground running with a list of new players to try and bring in. This is especially true if the club gets relegated, because there may be some of the remaining in-contract players who also want to leave.

The troubling thing is that the owners have a track record of appointing managers who don't have a lot of experience of the division Reading are in. I can easily imagine the club going down, losing a load of players, and then appointing someone obscure with no experience in England who has to somehow figure out a nearly full squad's worth of signings. While still under strict spending limits.

Even if Ince remains as manager, has he got the necessary experience to pull something like that off? I'm not confident.

This will still be a problem if relegation is avoided, but relegation could make it a lot harder.

If we stay up and the owners bring in a manager like you suggest then we are 100% getting relegated next season and we'll just be delaying the problem by a year.

If . .. if . . .we can hang on and the owners can find someone who can bring in some sensible signings and get us playing to the our potential then we might be lucky to get an uneventful season bouncing around 13th-18th. That is the best case for next season. The only hope longer term is that the owners find a way to channel more funds into the club that are acceptable from an P&S perspective (commercial deals) and we get lucky with youth/cheap signings.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 18 Mar 2022 11:04

ReadingGlasses One thing which really worries me about relegation is that it's not just that, there's also the second massive problem which is that most of the squad are out of contract and there needs to be a big rebuilding effort.

In a weird way, if we go down, I almost hope we keep Ince in as if you look at his record most of his success was in the lower divisions. If not him then it has to be someone with experience at that level.

As mentioned elsewhere, Bearwood is a big plus in attracting players at either level even to the extent that some may even accept a slightly smaller wage as the facilities are that much better than a lot of clubs particularly at L1 level,

ReadingGlasses

by ReadingGlasses » 18 Mar 2022 13:29

Elm Park Kid The only hope longer term is that the owners find a way to channel more funds into the club that are acceptable from an P&S perspective (commercial deals) and we get lucky with youth/cheap signings.

Yeah, that's probably the way it will need to go. Back to taking gambles on cheap signings from lower leagues, and to giving academy players a lot of game time. Done right that might not be a bad thing, but it will need a good behind the scenes set up of manager, director of football, scouting, academy head etc.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 18 Mar 2022 13:47

Well we don't have a Director of Football, or someone by that title, and our scouting department is currently being managed by Seb Ewen, with no previous experience at any football club and his previous experience was at Sports Invest UK Limited, owned by Kia Joorabchian.

It will take a pretty big change both on and off the field over the summer if we are to be successful again.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 18 Mar 2022 14:19

It's unlikely we'll have a successful season before 23/24 no matter what we do and whether we get relegated or not.

I think our best chance of finishing outside a relegation fight next season is in L1.

The Royal Forester
Hob Nob Regular

by The Royal Forester » 18 Mar 2022 14:57

Snowflake Royal
tmesis
The Royal Forester League 1 clubs are not allowed to run up as much debts as Championship clubs are. Our debts already exceed the L1 limits means the six suspended points make us start on minus 6 points, and possibly an extended embargo and reduced wage "allowance". Still think we can bounce straight back? Better to stay in the Championship and rebuild where we are.

I don't think those who think going down might be better somehow are expecting an immediate return. It's more that staying up, with a squad made up of maybe seven first teamers and a collection of loans, youth players, and free transfer might be less terrible in League One.

The prospect of a season in the championship where breaing 30 points would be an achievement, doesn't really appeal.

Yes. Ultimately football fans want to see their team win regularly at the highest level possible.

Almost no one has enjoyed supporting us for the best part of a decade as we win oxf*rd all and disappoint.

Winning enough to be mid-table in L1 >>>>>>>>> being shit in the Championship.

I've been there and seen both.

I have seen us play in all four tiers of the Football League. I for one would rather we kept out of the bottom two divisions. I fear it will be a slippery slope with a long and arduous climb back to the Championship (if we ever manage it) if we are regulated

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 18 Mar 2022 16:06

The Royal Forester
Snowflake Royal
tmesis I don't think those who think going down might be better somehow are expecting an immediate return. It's more that staying up, with a squad made up of maybe seven first teamers and a collection of loans, youth players, and free transfer might be less terrible in League One.

The prospect of a season in the championship where breaing 30 points would be an achievement, doesn't really appeal.

Yes. Ultimately football fans want to see their team win regularly at the highest level possible.

Almost no one has enjoyed supporting us for the best part of a decade as we win oxf*rd all and disappoint.

I have seen us play in all four tiers of the Football League. I for one would rather we kept out of the bottom two divisions. I fear it will be a slippery slope with a long and arduous climb back to the Championship (if we ever manage it) if we are regulated

Er, sorry to be a pedant, but no you haven’t (unless you mean Third Division South)

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 18 Mar 2022 16:12

The Royal Forester
Snowflake Royal
tmesis I don't think those who think going down might be better somehow are expecting an immediate return. It's more that staying up, with a squad made up of maybe seven first teamers and a collection of loans, youth players, and free transfer might be less terrible in League One.

Well yes. But I'd prefer 14th in L1 to 19th in Championship with yet another shit relegation fight.

Weymouth Royal

by Weymouth Royal » 18 Mar 2022 16:27

Snowflake Royal I'd prefer 14th in L1 to 19th in Championship with yet another shit relegation fight.

Everyone's different and has their own opinion, but I just don't get this. Surely whether you're struggling or not you want to see your team play at the highest possible level. By what you're saying, you don't want to see Reading struggle in the Premier League year on year in the future and would instead be happier with below mid-table Championship football. Odd.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 18 Mar 2022 16:29

Weymouth Royal
Snowflake Royal I'd prefer 14th in L1 to 19th in Championship with yet another shit relegation fight.

Everyone's different and has their own opinion, but I just don't get this. Surely whether you're struggling or not you want to see your team play at the highest possible level. By what you're saying, you don't want to see Reading struggle in the Premier League year on year in the future and would instead be happier with below mid-table Championship football. Odd.

It's simple.

I don't enjoy watching us lose and fail to compete. (Well its been pretty funny at times this season I guess.)

So no, I don't really want to watch us be 16th in the PL for years if I could watch us be 7th in the Championship for years.

Been there, seen that. It's not much cop.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 18 Mar 2022 16:46

Weymouth Royal

I agree here to be honest. Of course we'd win less, but it's the ambition and wanting to see Reading play against some of the best sides in the world, like Man City and Liverpool, in the hope we pull off a great victory or result. I'd rather watch us play against Man City than watch us play against Millwall every season. I'd want to see us play games at a higher level, even if that meant losing more than we don't, because expectations are drastically different.

The Royal Forester
Hob Nob Regular

by The Royal Forester » 18 Mar 2022 16:47

Franchise FC
The Royal Forester
Snowflake Royal Yes. Ultimately football fans want to see their team win regularly at the highest level possible.

Er, sorry to be a pedant, but no you haven’t (unless you mean Third Division South)

If you want to be exact I have seen us play in the Premier League and three tiers of the Football League PLUS the old Third Division South.

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 18 Mar 2022 16:54

YorkshireRoyal99
Weymouth Royal

I agree here to be honest. Of course we'd win less, but it's the ambition and wanting to see Reading play against some of the best sides in the world, like Man City and Liverpool, in the hope we pull off a great victory or result. I'd rather watch us play against Man City than watch us play against Millwall every season. I'd want to see us play games at a higher level, even if that meant losing more than we don't, because expectations are drastically different.

You don't need to follow Reading to watch Man City or Liverpool play. Premier league is now full of non competitive fixtures. A cheap ticket at Norwich costs £38. No thanks to that..........

There's a resurgence of football at lower levels. Clubs need to be an integral part of the community. Not just billionaires playthings.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 18 Mar 2022 17:04

I'd rather watch Reading vs Man City/Liverpool, rather than Norwich vs Man City/Liverpool. I'd also rather watch it live, as opposed to on the TV.

Yes, it's not great financially, but if you can afford it, you'll go.

blythspartan
Hob Nob Regular

by blythspartan » 18 Mar 2022 17:42

YorkshireRoyal99 I'd rather watch Reading vs Man City/Liverpool, rather than Norwich vs Man City/Liverpool. I'd also rather watch it live, as opposed to on the TV.

I know what you’re saying but Reading 0 Man City 10 or Reading 0 Liverpool 12 wouldn’t be much fun. I loved the first 2 seasons we had in the Premiership but I hated the last season and that awful 0-0 at home to QPR.

We used to be a decent Championship team but apart from 2 freak seasons we have now been on the decline for several years and we really should have been relegated before now tbh. I personally don’t care what league we’re in as long as we’re competitive and don’t get battered each week. Yes, I’d love that to be in the Premiership or Championship but realistically that won’t happen without a full rebuild of the squad and an overhaul of the club’s infrastructure.

I feel that the fans, players and owners all need to reconnect but I have no idea where’s the best place for that to happen.

fred sharpes nose

by fred sharpes nose » 18 Mar 2022 20:34

blythspartan
YorkshireRoyal99 I'd rather watch Reading vs Man City/Liverpool, rather than Norwich vs Man City/Liverpool. I'd also rather watch it live, as opposed to on the TV.

I know what you’re saying but Reading 0 Man City 10 or Reading 0 Liverpool 12 wouldn’t be much fun. I loved the first 2 seasons we had in the Premiership but I hated the last season and that awful 0-0 at home to QPR.

We used to be a decent Championship team but apart from 2 freak seasons we have now been on the decline for several years and we really should have been relegated before now tbh. I personally don’t care what league we’re in as long as we’re competitive and don’t get battered each week. Yes, I’d love that to be in the Premiership or Championship but realistically that won’t happen without a full rebuild of the squad and an overhaul of the club’s infrastructure.

I feel that the fans, players and owners all need to reconnect but I have no idea where’s the best place for that to happen.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This feels like an obituary of my support for The Royals
> Decline for seveal years - Last 8 seasons including this one- flirting with relegation 5, flirting with success 2 mid table boredom 1

> Decent Championship team - Previous 12 seasons - the glory years no lower than 9th in Championhip/Tier 2 - twice. 3 seasons in the PL

> Historically a Div 3 club with occassional excitement - Previous 32 seasons (got the the bug 1970). 18 Div3/L1, 8 in Div 4/L2, 6 in Div 1/C'ship

> The most boring club in the Football League - 32 consective seasons in Div 3

I fear if we go down we go back to our "level"

SouthDownsRoyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SouthDownsRoyal » 19 Mar 2022 08:39

The Royal Forester
Snowflake Royal

Agree with this

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 19 Mar 2022 10:20

SouthDownsRoyal
The Royal Forester
Snowflake Royal Yes. Ultimately football fans want to see their team win regularly at the highest level possible.

Agree with this

Me too, I’d rather we were unregulated

tmesis
Hob Nob Regular

by tmesis » 19 Mar 2022 13:33

Snowflake Royal
Weymouth Royal

It's simple.

I don't enjoy watching us lose and fail to compete. (Well its been pretty funny at times this season I guess.)

So no, I don't really want to watch us be 16th in the PL for years if I could watch us be 7th in the Championship for years.

Been there, seen that. It's not much cop.

If you could offer a season of finishing 18th in the championship next year, I'd take that over dropping to League One.

My fear for next season isn't another year of struggle in the championship, it's a fear of a severely weakened side that would do well to reach 30 points. A side at that level would be better off in League One, rather than being an utter embarrassment for a year in the championship.

1865 posts
It is currently 28 Mar 2024 11:51