Relegation

1865 posts
Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: Relegation

by Franchise FC » 16 Mar 2023 07:54

Sutekh
Jackson Corner Well Luton Millwall Coventry have done ok. I would be delighted if we had there seasons. Are they any bigger than us?

Reading did have a season like them, unfortunately though they had a manager with the tactical nous of a banana and that was the end of that.

And while Reading have mis-spent on cr@p players, it’s been the club’s continual appointment of managers with less ability than various types of fruit that has put the club where it is today. Have to say I’m still not seeing any improvement in that area as Ince always gives the impression he’s accidentally stumbled across a good performance through circumstances forced on the club rather than actually achieved one by design.

FFP is not fit for purpose and the fact you get three clubs injected into the division every year that can wildly overspend with the approval of the FL just beggars belief. I think the FL should be screwing the relegated clubs to the ground and making it difficult if not impossible for them to spend or keep a massive playing rota of overpaid failures on their books at the same rates but no that’s too sensible. But until the stupidity of parachute payments is dumped the Championship/Division 2 is seeming going to be stuck on this ridiculous roundabout.

And I don’t want the club playing back in Division 3 at any cost, just a shrewd, flexible, manager and an intelligent recruitment policy like the club had 20 years ago. Might mean a struggle but at least I there’d be a better chance of not getting the unentertaining garbage that we’ve had to endure for a decade now.

You keep going on about the parachute payments without putting the context around the fact that the relegated teams were, in fact, in the PL the season before.
On that basis it would be reasonable to expect that they would be stronger than the non-promoted sides in the Championship anyway

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 16 Mar 2023 08:13

RoyalBlue
Snowflake Royal
blythspartan
+1, I just want to enjoy going to games again and I don’t care if that’s in leagues 1 or 2.

I said about 5 years ago that I'd prefer to go down quickly and try to bounce back than to linger being shit for years and go down anyway.

I was absolutely 100% spot on. I would much preferred to have gone down a few years ago under Clement, or Gomes. Although at least now our wages should mostly be in order next season.

How many teams manage to bounce back though. It's clearly an incredibly difficult league to get back out of again. If we go down courtesy of a points deduction, I wouldn't be surprised to see Mr Dai throw the towel in through exasperation. If he does, who will buy us? Getting a new owner is likely to prove far more difficult than getting a decent manager.

Lots get back within 3 seasons.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 16 Mar 2023 08:14

Royal_jimmy So you're both excited to play Accrington Stanley, Morecambe and Shrewsbury on a tuesday night?

Don't care who we play. I watch for Reading, not the opposition. And it would make a change.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 16 Mar 2023 08:20

A few people on here want to see non playing staff at the club lose their jobs and the future of the club put at risk in order that we might win some more games.

Not very sensible. Especially with our owners who have a history of running clubs into the ground.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 16 Mar 2023 08:31

Snowflake Royal
RoyalBlue
Snowflake Royal I said about 5 years ago that I'd prefer to go down quickly and try to bounce back than to linger being shit for years and go down anyway.

I was absolutely 100% spot on. I would much preferred to have gone down a few years ago under Clement, or Gomes. Although at least now our wages should mostly be in order next season.

How many teams manage to bounce back though. It's clearly an incredibly difficult league to get back out of again. If we go down courtesy of a points deduction, I wouldn't be surprised to see Mr Dai throw the towel in through exasperation. If he does, who will buy us? Getting a new owner is likely to prove far more difficult than getting a decent manager.

And a lot don't, the one's that do are usually well run as well, not like us who are probably more comparable to Charlton, who are just mid-table in that division.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 16 Mar 2023 08:44

YorkshireRoyal99
Snowflake Royal
RoyalBlue

And a lot don't, the one's that do are usually well run as well, not like us who are probably more comparable to Charlton, who are just mid-table in that division.

Obviously, but that's not the implication from RB and those like him is it... its that bouncing back is rarer than hens teeth.

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 16 Mar 2023 08:52

Calm down gents. as it stands we still have a nine point cushion, it`s been more than a fortnight since the news broke that we had a six point deduction coming.
If it was that straightforward wouldn`t they have done it by now? I`m not saying it won`t happen but all the dicks on twatter are talking like we are already in the midst of a relegation scrap.

Kitsondinho
Hob Nob Addict
Location: at a cricket ground somewhere around the country........

by Kitsondinho » 16 Mar 2023 10:37

windermereROYAL Calm down gents. as it stands we still have a nine point cushion, it`s been more than a fortnight since the news broke that we had a six point deduction coming.
If it was that straightforward wouldn`t they have done it by now? I`m not saying it won`t happen but all the dicks on twatter are talking like we are already in the midst of a relegation scrap.

Exactly. We aren’t going to lose every game between now and the end of the season. Even with the deduction we’re 3 points clear. We still have some of the teams around us to play (starting on Saturday) We all know our record against teams around us is better than against the sort of teams we’ve played in the last few weeks. The relentless ‘we’re doomed’ is ridiculous. Even if we have 6 points deducted, we’ll stay up. There is no way we’ll end up with fewer wins than Blackpool, Wigan and Huddersfield in the remaining games.

One8Seven1*

by One8Seven1* » 16 Mar 2023 10:47

9 point cushion - 6 points due to be applied today/tomorrow allegedly.

So it's a 3 point cushion, a weak arse team, a suspect keeper, and a tactical numpty manager, whom we're the only club who has tolerated his football for more than one full year.

Lump your money on us going down!

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 16 Mar 2023 10:57

One8Seven1* 9 point cushion - 6 points due to be applied today/tomorrow allegedly.

So it's a 3 point cushion, a weak arse team, a suspect keeper, and a tactical numpty manager, whom we're the only club who has tolerated his football for more than one full year.

What's worse is with our goal difference and Blackpool dicking QPR, it's only a 2pt cushion right now.

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 16 Mar 2023 11:43

One8Seven1* allegedly.

Thanks for clearing that up, source?

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 16 Mar 2023 11:46

tidus_mi2
One8Seven1* 9 point cushion - 6 points due to be applied today/tomorrow allegedly.

What's worse is with our goal difference and Blackpool dicking QPR, it's only a 2pt cushion right now.

Right now? take a look at the league table? it may well change but right now we are 9 (or eight) points ahead.
Last edited by windermereROYAL on 16 Mar 2023 12:09, edited 1 time in total.

One8Seven1*

by One8Seven1* » 16 Mar 2023 11:51

Snowflake Royal
Royal_jimmy So you're both excited to play Accrington Stanley, Morecambe and Shrewsbury on a tuesday night?

Don't care who we play. I watch for Reading, not the opposition. And it would make a change.

Then pop down to Maidenhead and take in a few games, or over to Swindon and Oxford. Give it a few matches and you soon remember how lucky you are to watch Championship football home and away. Going down would be a disaster!

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 16 Mar 2023 11:52

One8Seven1*
Snowflake Royal

Then pop down to Maidenhead and take in a few games, or over to Swindon and Oxford. Give it a few matches and you soon remember how lucky you are to watch Championship football home and away. Going down would be a disaster!

What part of that is it you are struggling to understand?

I've watched Reading in tier 3 thanks. It was better than this.

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 16 Mar 2023 11:54

windermereROYAL
tidus_mi2

Right now? take a look at the league table? it may well change but right now we are 9 (or 8) points ahead.

Oh of course, still holding out hope we don't get any deduction at all.

blythspartan
Hob Nob Regular

by blythspartan » 16 Mar 2023 12:12

One8Seven1*
Snowflake Royal

I have to occasionally work in Chesterfield and I have watched a fair few of their games in the National League and it’s far more entertaining than the rubbish I have watched us play this season. I regret buying a season ticket as apart from one game the football has been dire.

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 16 Mar 2023 12:13

tidus_mi2
windermereROYAL
tidus_mi2 What's worse is with our goal difference and Blackpool dicking QPR, it's only a 2pt cushion right now.

Right now? take a look at the league table? it may well change but right now we are 9 (or 8) points ahead.

Why shouldn`t we? it isn`t done until it`s done, why are they delaying it? i thought the noose was already around our neck with the hangman just waiting for the order to pull the lever.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 16 Mar 2023 12:46

windermereROYAL
tidus_mi2
windermereROYAL

Why shouldn`t we? it isn`t done until it`s done, why are they delaying it? i thought the noose was already around our neck with the hangman just waiting for the order to pull the lever.

Maybe they are arguing over TWELVE

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 16 Mar 2023 12:46

Snowball
windermereROYAL
tidus_mi2 Oh of course, still holding out hope we don't get any deduction at all.

Maybe they are arguing over TWELVE

or 18

Kitsondinho
Hob Nob Addict
Location: at a cricket ground somewhere around the country........

by Kitsondinho » 16 Mar 2023 12:52

Like it was going to happen two weeks ago…and last week…and before last night’s game. No one (not even the EFL it seems) has a clue when/if it is going to happen. The whole situation is ridiculous!

1865 posts