11%
Ian Royal - all RFC fans are idiots
4%

Total votes: 247
Hound
Hob Nob Legend

Re: In or Out? New poll.

by Hound » 01 Jan 2018 17:49

Think this season shows we can basically beat anyone, or more than likely lose to anyone. Who we play seems to almost be irrelevant sometimes

We’ll lose to wolves though certainly

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 01 Jan 2018 18:12

double d (although we seem to beat QPR Always)

:shock:

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 01 Jan 2018 20:25

Previously IN, now OUT.

Of more interests than my opinion though is just the briefest analysis of confidence in him.

August - presumably around 90-100% (?) of people wanted him to stay after our decent league position last season (just an assumption). The majority of people would have been upset had he left.

September's poll: Dropped sharply to 42% (probably higher than this in September but dropped as people coming onto the thread late had more negative views.

Now: Only a shocking 27% :shock: :shock: :shock: actually want the guy to stay in charge.

This is one phenomenal slide guys. And if fans are feeling this, you can be damned sure this sort of effect is going to be noticed in the dressing room too. I know "he's lost the dressing room" is a cliche but the way the players are playing it's like they don't even want the system to work. But anyway that's just my speculation now.

FWIW, my reasons for wanting him out now:

1) He is squarely at fault for not bringing in a two proven gaolscorers (not just one required but two). He brought in none. Discussed to death, we all know it. Interesting to thin of reasons against this but it's pretty much fact. Millions on midfielders we didn't want. Ridiculous.

2) Last season was good in terms of end league position (not goal difference) but Wembley made it clear we couldn't score in a brothel and let's face it it was an artificial strange league position and noone thought that team would stand a hope in hell in the PL. We were rubbish at Wembley and largely mediocre during the season, somehow coming away with points. We've suffered ever since teams sussed out our only plan.

3) The performances are awful, he doesn't know his best team, he is trying to impose a style that doesnt' fit us, we are just plain rubbish.

It's a countdown before he's gone UNLESS all he needs is a couple of proven goalscorers to fix a system he unluckily didn't manage to build and once we get them in the transfer window everything may click and we'll start a run of wins AND convincing exciting performances. If this happens he'll stay and even if we end up lower mid table most of us will be excited to see him here next season.
I think this is unlikely but would love it to be the case.

Tilehurstsouthbank
Hob Nob Regular

by Tilehurstsouthbank » 02 Jan 2018 14:26

I was IN on the last poll but I can't defend Stam anymore. There is a depth of attacking talent at this club (even though we're short at least a couple of quality strikers) but it just seems were like a car moving with the handbrake on and that can only really be attributed to the manager.

I only go to games now to get out of the house but I genuinely dread what I'm likely to see atm.
Last edited by Tilehurstsouthbank on 02 Jan 2018 14:59, edited 1 time in total.

The Reverend

by The Reverend » 02 Jan 2018 14:38

He's got to go if we lose tonight

I've just voted OUT btw - I like what he wanted to do here but he's had a year and a half to do it and we're going backwards.

Even when we win it's shit.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 02 Jan 2018 14:50

The Reverend He's got to go if we lose tonight

I've just voted OUT btw - I like what he wanted to do here but he's had a year and a half to do it and we're going backwards.

Even when we win it's shit.

tbf this season, the only game we've won when we've been shit is probably the easiest and biggest win of the year - vs Barnsley.

Very much enjoyed the Forest and Villa games, and sounds like we were good to watch at Leeds, Derby and Sunderland. (Just realised how miserably few games we've won this year)

Theroyalbox
Hob Nob Regular

by Theroyalbox » 02 Jan 2018 14:53

I am in the In camp. Think sacking Stam would be steps backwards. I think Reading under Gourley and Teverden have an idea of the brand of football they want to play, so people complaining about that need to forget about it. For me personally I have enjoyed watching Reading play this season - except from the obvious Burton defeat amongst a few other poor games. I do think they are a few players short of what they need to compete - mainly in the defence as McShane is total sh!t and has let the team down on many an occasion this year.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 02 Jan 2018 15:02

Theroyalbox I am in the In camp. Think sacking Stam would be steps backwards. I think Reading under Gourley and Teverden have an idea of the brand of football they want to play, so people complaining about that need to forget about it. For me personally I have enjoyed watching Reading play this season - except from the obvious Burton defeat amongst a few other poor games. I do think they are a few players short of what they need to compete - mainly in the defence as McShane is total sh!t and has let the team down on many an occasion this year.

Up until Burton I'd have agreed 100% with that. Obvs we started poorly, but I thought we were making real progress. Against Cardiff first half, we really looked like we 'cracked it' which makes the last 4 games all the more depressing.

McShane is a big issue for me. I wish Stam would see the problem. He takes too many risks constantly letting the attacker get goal side, isn't commanding the area, and keeps giving the ball away. I can't fathom how he is not being replaced by a 3.5m defender sitting on the bench. Id play Blackett ahead of him as well. Find it weird how Stam chops and changes every position bar CB where most of our problems are coming from.

Platypuss
Hob Nob Moderator
Location: No one cares about your creative hub, so get your fukcin' hedge cut

by Platypuss » 02 Jan 2018 15:04

We massively overperformed last season, and now underperforming this. That makes us even in my book.
Stam deserves to be cut some slack and have at least the rest of the season..

double d

by double d » 02 Jan 2018 15:05

Platypuss We massively overperformed last season, and now underperforming this. That makes us even in my book.
Stam deserves to be cut some slack and have at least the rest of the season..

Maybe we are not under performing this season. Maybe this is our level and we are just performing the way we should have done and this is our place. Last season was a freak.

Platypuss
Hob Nob Moderator
Location: No one cares about your creative hub, so get your fukcin' hedge cut

by Platypuss » 02 Jan 2018 15:06

Hound McShane is a big issue for me. I wish Stam would see the problem. He takes too many risks constantly letting the attacker get goal side, isn't commanding the area, and keeps giving the ball away. I can't fathom how he is not being replaced by a 3.5m defender sitting on the bench. Id play Blackett ahead of him as well. Find it weird how Stam chops and changes every position bar CB where most of our problems are coming from.

Based on the Wolves game (and many others) I'm not convinced Ilori is that much better.

Theroyalbox
Hob Nob Regular

by Theroyalbox » 02 Jan 2018 15:08

Hound
Theroyalbox I am in the In camp. Think sacking Stam would be steps backwards. I think Reading under Gourley and Teverden have an idea of the brand of football they want to play, so people complaining about that need to forget about it. For me personally I have enjoyed watching Reading play this season - except from the obvious Burton defeat amongst a few other poor games. I do think they are a few players short of what they need to compete - mainly in the defence as McShane is total sh!t and has let the team down on many an occasion this year.

Up until Burton I'd have agreed 100% with that. Obvs we started poorly, but I thought we were making real progress. Against Cardiff first half, we really looked like we 'cracked it' which makes the last 4 games all the more depressing.

McShane is a big issue for me. I wish Stam would see the problem. He takes too many risks constantly letting the attacker get goal side, isn't commanding the area, and keeps giving the ball away. I can't fathom how he is not being replaced by a 3.5m defender sitting on the bench. Id play Blackett ahead of him as well. Find it weird how Stam chops and changes every position bar CB where most of our problems are coming from.

At half time in that Cardiff game I thought that was a real turning point in our season we had been on really good form with some easy fixtures coming up over Christmas, but by the end of it fortunes had turned and the team looks not nearly as good as it did in the first half against Cardiff (probably the best we've played)

I would like to see Stam change it up at the back go back to 5-3-2 play blackett LCB (where he is a very good player) Moore in the middle and Tiago on the right. This would A) Get rid of McShane and also allow us to have 3 CBs capable of carrying the ball over the halfway line as they are all very impressive on the ball

royal_rumble

by royal_rumble » 02 Jan 2018 15:46

Ok, so assuming Stam / BT have an idea of the brand of football they want, why, after only letting one real first team player go in the summer, and signing 7 players for over £10m, is the brand of football not better this year? Striking shortages aside, the football has been poor, we suffer the same sorts of issues we had last season... no tempo, slow build up, lack of ideas in final 3rd etc. Stam seems devoid of any kind of plan B, although he does like to rotate who plays wing back, so there's that!

No one really watching us this year can think we've shown any progress, let alone think we're heading towards some amazing brand of football.
Last edited by royal_rumble on 02 Jan 2018 15:58, edited 1 time in total.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 02 Jan 2018 15:53

Platypuss
Hound McShane is a big issue for me. I wish Stam would see the problem. He takes too many risks constantly letting the attacker get goal side, isn't commanding the area, and keeps giving the ball away. I can't fathom how he is not being replaced by a 3.5m defender sitting on the bench. Id play Blackett ahead of him as well. Find it weird how Stam chops and changes every position bar CB where most of our problems are coming from.

Based on the Wolves game (and many others) I'm not convinced Ilori is that much better.

Ive honestly not seen enough of him. He was off the pace at Wolves, but think that was understandable. I believe he had a mare at QPR. But other than that I think he has been reasonable - certainly back end of last season he was very good.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 02 Jan 2018 16:02

Hound McShane is a big issue for me. I wish Stam would see the problem. He takes too many risks constantly letting the attacker get goal side, isn't commanding the area, and keeps giving the ball away.

+10000

Theroyalbox
Hob Nob Regular

by Theroyalbox » 02 Jan 2018 16:04

royal_rumble

Ok, so assuming Stam / BT have an idea of the brand of football they want, why, after only letting one real first team player go in the summer, and signing 7 players for over £10m, is the brand of football not better this year? Striking shortages aside, the football has been poor, we suffer the same sorts of issues we had last season... no tempo, slow build up, lack of ideas in final 3rd etc. Stam seems devoid of any kind of plan B, although he does like to rotate who plays wing back, so there's that!

No one really watching us this year can think we've shown any progress, let alone think we're heading towards some amazing brand of football.

I think there has been games this season where we have shown progress, consistency and therefore confidence has been the issue so far this season, which has created a negative atmosphere around the club, the home games are only made more woeful by the home support, and the players don't respond to that

Taffster

by Taffster » 02 Jan 2018 16:16

I'm moving firmly in to the out camp. I appreciate Stam/BT have a philosophy and brand idea for the club but much in the way Swansea did it I think it's time for a new manager to work on the foundations that Stam has laid.
So for me it's time for a new man at the helm but keeping the same core principles we now have in place and improving on them.

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 02 Jan 2018 16:26

Out for me, although my concern is that the Director of Football will just hire the next Jaap Stam to play the same one dimensional tactics and he will want to sign yet more midfielders leaving us with nothing in the kitty for a striker.

The board need to look at the Director of Football, I don't think he understands this division or the club and the requirements of both in terms of player signings and managers as Nicky Hammond once did.

Elm Park Kid
Hob Nob Regular

by Elm Park Kid » 02 Jan 2018 16:42

royal_rumble

To be fair - we lost both Al-Habsi and Williams to transfers and Kermorgant, McCleary and Obita to injury. I'd say that was a significant loss to the team.

If we had had Obita, Moore, McShane, Gunter at the back; Barrow, Bacuna, Williams, Swift, McCleary in midfield and a fit Kermorgant upfront I reckon that would have been promotion standard. Though I suppose there's the old thing about "if my aunt had balls she'd be my uncle".

We definitely should have gone all out for a decent young striker as soon as we knew Kermorgant was injured. It's not like he's a long term option anyway. It would have cost us the farm but that's modern football.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 02 Jan 2018 17:31

royal_rumble

Unfortunately, I think the desire for the centrebacks to carry the ball forward is actually part of the problem. At the moment, they either come forward slowly, passing laboriously between them, or one of them rushes forward until he's marked. The rest of the team stand watching without moving, giving few decent options.

I'd much rather the centrebacks saw less of the ball and for shorter periods, staying deeper (full backs deeper too), putting the onus on the full backs and a playmaker in midfield to dictate play and tempo. Centrebacks should stick relatively close together and move it on quickly. I hate the way they split and leave a huge hole in our defence.

It's barking that anyone would want the centre backs to be the ones dictating tempo and beginning creativity. They're by their nature some of the least technical and creative players on the pitch, and they're typically last man and so any mistake or loss of position is huge.

423 posts