4%

Total votes: 247
Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: In or Out? New poll.

by Lower West » 30 Dec 2017 22:12

Denver Royal
But yes, there is so much negativity now, such that maybe he should go. There isn't even that much chat about the players anymore, it always seems to be about Stam, and his 'performance', after every game.

Players aren't delivering. Today was no different. No one wants the ball. Team lacks a spine. Needs a new Captain.

Oilroyal
Hob Nob Regular

by Oilroyal » 30 Dec 2017 22:16

Lower West
Denver Royal
But yes, there is so much negativity now, such that maybe he should go. There isn't even that much chat about the players anymore, it always seems to be about Stam, and his 'performance', after every game.

Players aren't delivering. Today was no different. No one wants the ball. Team lacks a spine. Needs a new Captain.

shall we get a new captain? ... will that fix it.?

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 30 Dec 2017 22:25

Oilroyal
Lower West
Denver Royal

Be an improvement on what we've already got. This squad is very much a work in progress.

Oilroyal
Hob Nob Regular

by Oilroyal » 30 Dec 2017 22:30

Lower West
Oilroyal
Lower West

Be an improvement on what we've already got. This squad is very much a work in progress.

wake me up when you think it's done

alfie9

by alfie9 » 30 Dec 2017 22:59

Get a grip, guys. Sacking him will not improve our situation. There is no threat of relegation. We need to stick this out and hope that Stam and Tevreden's plan comes good.

Oilroyal
Hob Nob Regular

by Oilroyal » 30 Dec 2017 23:08

alfie9 Get a grip, guys. Sacking him will not improve our situation. There is no threat of relegation. We need to stick this out and hope that Stam and Tevreden's plan comes good.

another one keyboard tapping about getting a grip.

Would like to see Stam’s plan in working action but so far I’ve seen shit most match days. I’m a supporter but can only support if I believe in the plan…….. Please tell me, what’s Stam’s oxf*rd plan?

Avon Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Avon Royal » 30 Dec 2017 23:10

alfie9 Get a grip, guys. Sacking him will not improve our situation. There is no threat of relegation. We need to stick this out and hope that Stam and Tevreden's plan comes good.

Even if it does “come good”, we’re still left with this dull and boring system.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 31 Dec 2017 09:38

I've voted out, but I've never really bought into what Stam is trying to do here so that's nothing too new for me.

I want football to be entertaining and to give me 90 minutes of excitement and I don't think I've ever really got that from a Stam side and I don't think his take on possession football is suited to this league, or the Premier League for that matter.

I'd happily get Parky or Gary Monk in to replace him as I think both would have a better take on what Reading fans want to see on the pitch and what it takes to be relatively successful in the Championship.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 31 Dec 2017 09:40

Gary Monk has just failed at 2 champ clubs

I think dull and boring is pretty subjective. When we play well, we are good to watch - ie Derby, Wolves, forest, Villa. Problem is these performances are few and far between

To be honest, play any system badly and it’s shit to watch. Would rather see us try to play football than the hoof ball dross served up by the likes of Cardiff

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 31 Dec 2017 09:59

Forest have sacked warburton - surprises me that. Thought they were quite good.

Would be an option for us

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 31 Dec 2017 10:02

Hound Gary Monk has just failed at 2 champ clubs

I think dull and boring is pretty subjective. When we play well, we are good to watch - ie Derby, Wolves, forest, Villa. Problem is these performances are few and far between

To be honest, play any system badly and it’s shit to watch. Would rather see us try to play football than the hoof ball dross served up by the likes of Cardiff

I agree that playing any system badly is bad to watch but the way Stam is wanting us to play is bad to watch when we play it well! He isn't trying to have us play on the front foot and attack teams, there's hardly been a sniff of that from the team and nothing from him to suggest that he wants them to play at a higher tempo or with a little more attacking verve.

As for Monk, he didn't fail at Leeds, he walked out on them whilst they were looking to hand him a new deal. To do what he did there, at a basket case of a club, was a success in my opinion. He won nearly half his games and just missed out on the play offs and played some pretty good stuff from what I remember.

At 'Boro he was doing ok too, winning half his games again and being pretty well positioned. I'm not really sure what went on there apart from 'Boro perhaps having some unrealistic expectations. He did pretty well at Swansea too IMO.

andrew1957
Hob Nob Regular

by andrew1957 » 31 Dec 2017 10:14

I have never been a great believer in sacking managers as fans are generally far too impatient but in this case the football has been awful since Stam arrived. Last season he got away with it because of good results but the matches I saw were generally boring. This season we have had to contend with awful football AND poor results. I thought Stam was nailed on to get the sack after Boro but for a couple of matches after that we played better and he had a reprieve but anything but a win against Brum and a much better performance and I will be utterly astounded if he is not sacked.

If he I sacked it would be Warburton for me. Think Forest are mad to sack him as they have been playing nice football and player for player have a much inferior squad to us. I think he would adapt our passing style into a more effective one.

tee peg
Hob Nob Regular

by tee peg » 31 Dec 2017 10:44

I hope you are right about relegation.I am not convinced.

prfoster

by prfoster » 31 Dec 2017 10:46

Avon Royal Just watched Bristol City vs Wolves, what a cracking championship game. Plenty of pace, high tempo, direct passing - everything that I used to enjoy about Reading.

I genuinely believe that our players are at least as good as those on show this evening, they are just shackled by a ridiculous system that is boring us all to tears.

Players have proved this , but hampered by sterile unflinching approach to game , slow tempo enables opposition to get behind the ball and now we struggle to get behind the fullbacks and resulting in passing back to defenders, boring now

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 31 Dec 2017 11:26

In for the time being. The last few games have been appalling and I imagine most fans would love to see the back of Stam but I think a change mid way with morale as it is would be a poor choice.
He can improve us.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 31 Dec 2017 11:48

Hoop Blah
Hound Gary Monk has just failed at 2 champ clubs

I agree that playing any system badly is bad to watch but the way Stam is wanting us to play is bad to watch when we play it well! He isn't trying to have us play on the front foot and attack teams, there's hardly been a sniff of that from the team and nothing from him to suggest that he wants them to play at a higher tempo or with a little more attacking verve.

As for Monk, he didn't fail at Leeds, he walked out on them whilst they were looking to hand him a new deal. To do what he did there, at a basket case of a club, was a success in my opinion. He won nearly half his games and just missed out on the play offs and played some pretty good stuff from what I remember.

At 'Boro he was doing ok too, winning half his games again and being pretty well positioned. I'm not really sure what went on there apart from 'Boro perhaps having some unrealistic expectations. He did pretty well at Swansea too IMO.

Fair points. My only argument for not sacking Stam is that we're going through managers too quickly, and you should allow the man in charge to fail once as long as it doesn't set the club back too far - e.g. no relegation.

I agree with the criticism of our passivity and lack of drive to win games. I disagree there's no entertainment. At times we look good and entertaining in a traditional sense (relatively few and far between this season), at other times it's entertaining in a more tactical and cerebral way... but that doesn't get people singing or standing so it's not ideal. Talking entertainment though is really obviously subjective.

I have my doubts that Stam is the right man. I just think what we need most is continuity right now. And if that means knocking about in upper midtable for a year or two cutting our expenses then ok I spose. Obviously the ideal is that we get in a new manager who plays exciting successful football and we return to the glory days of Coppell / McGhee / Pardew etc. (I don't say McDermott because I really didn't enjoy his style of play - only the results it brought). But how likely is that exactly? It didn't work with Rodgers, Adkins, Clarke and apparently now Stam. Changing the manager is expensive and it appears rarely actually achieves anything. So if we've given someone a three year plan, lets see it out.

Ascotexgunner
Hob Nob Addict

by Ascotexgunner » 31 Dec 2017 11:51

6 points off relegation and 1 point in 9, beaten at home by a club that every season punch miles above their weight and are favourites to go down, and who had until that point, had a shocking away record, and another who today almost took all 3 points off us, yet have done absolutely f*ck all all season with no wins in 10.
And if you want the full set, Bristol maybe going for promotion, they were awful when we played them and the only thing worse than them was us.
And we got 1 point. I'm dreading the cup game, I can actually see Stam fielding a weak team. We are very much in a relegation fight now.
Remember when we looked safe in the PL? Too many have a short memory.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 31 Dec 2017 12:07

Ascotexgunner

6 points off relegation and 1 point in 9, beaten at home by a club that every season punch miles above their weight and are favourites to go down, and who had until that point, had a shocking away record, and another who today almost took all 3 points off us, yet have done absolutely f*ck all all season with no wins in 10.
And if you want the full set, Bristol maybe going for promotion, they were awful when we played them and the only thing worse than them was us.
And we got 1 point. I'm dreading the cup game, I can actually see Stam fielding a weak team. We are very much in a relegation fight now.

We were as much in a relegation fight two months ago, with the likes of you saying how doomed we were. We then got 15 points in 8 games, which is virtually promotion form and pulled comfortably clear. We could easily do the same again in January.

blythspartan
Hob Nob Regular

by blythspartan » 31 Dec 2017 12:09

Out - Stam has had long enough to change around our fortunes.

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 31 Dec 2017 12:13

Ascotexgunner

Actually Burton had a very good away record in the 8 games before they played us, but please don't let facts get in the way of a good rant.

423 posts