The Chris Gunter appreciation thread

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

Re: The Chris Gunter appreciation thread

by Zip » 23 Jun 2020 19:16

It’s Araruna isn’t it Ian? I think he is a permanent signing and with Gunter leaving he needs to be played and assessed.

bcubed
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by bcubed » 23 Jun 2020 23:25

Pepe the Horseman According to twitter
Chris Gunter has agreed a short term contract extension until the end of the season and then will leave Reading on a free transfer with multiple clubs interested in signing him.

Good on him for seeing it out, especially after the way he was treated at the start of the season. Has had a lot of undeserved stick over the years. 300+ appearances and captained us at Wembley. Thank you for your service x

+ 1 from me too (except no x from me)

Never understood the constant criticism. Not did many fans from other clubs

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 23 Jun 2020 23:39

Zip It’s Araruna isn’t it Ian? I think he is a permanent signing and with Gunter leaving he needs to be played and assessed.

Yep. Araruna.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 24 Jun 2020 07:57

Gunter is a model professional and got a lot of unfair stick at times. He probably stayed a couple of seasons too long and an earlier parting of the ways would have been a bitter better for all. He will not struggle to find a new club, imagine half the Championship will be after him.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 24 Jun 2020 08:34

Old Man Andrews Gunter is a model professional and got a lot of unfair stick at times. He probably stayed a couple of seasons too long and an earlier parting of the ways would have been a bitter better for all. He will not struggle to find a new club, imagine half the Championship will be after him.

The bottom half. :wink:

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 24 Jun 2020 08:37

Snowflake Royal
Old Man Andrews Gunter is a model professional and got a lot of unfair stick at times. He probably stayed a couple of seasons too long and an earlier parting of the ways would have been a bitter better for all. He will not struggle to find a new club, imagine half the Championship will be after him.

The bottom half. :wink:

Think the better teams will see him as a reliable option and the big sides currently struggling will see him as an experienced leader who could help change their fortunes. The likes of Middlesbrough, Sheffield Wednesday, Stoke would be all over him I'd imagine.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 24 Jun 2020 10:57

I've never bought the Gunter criticism. Model pro; reliably gives you a 6 or 7 out of 10 every week. 8 years, over 300 appearances. Deserves fan respect. It's just a shame for him that his 8 years have largely coincided with the only period this century where we have stagnated instead of progressed (allowing for the pre-Pardew era right at the start).

SouthDownsRoyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SouthDownsRoyal » 24 Jun 2020 11:29

WestYorksRoyal I've never bought the Gunter criticism. Model pro; reliably gives you a 6 or 7 out of 10 every week. 8 years, over 300 appearances. Deserves fan respect. It's just a shame for him that his 8 years have largely coincided with the only period this century where we have stagnated instead of progressed (allowing for the pre-Pardew era right at the start).

I agree with that.

I’m not a huge Gunter fan but do appreciate he is a decent guy and as said above you get a solid performance more often than not.

Rather than someone like Puscas where he has a good game scores goals then becomes anonymous again for a a number of games.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 24 Jun 2020 13:06

He was a big victim of Stamball. And our general trend towards appallingly implemented passing football from Adkins onward.

It played to all his weaknesses and negative choices and none of his strengths.

Could never fault his effort or attitude, but for me he'll always remain symptomatic of our recent malaise, soft and just not good enough.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 24 Jun 2020 13:34

Snowflake Royal He was a big victim of Stamball. And our general trend towards appallingly implemented passing football from Adkins onward.

Could never fault his effort or attitude, but for me he'll always remain symptomatic of our recent malaise, soft and just not good enough.

And just to rub salt in what’s the betting Chris Gunter will now go and captain Middlesbrough to the Premier League next season :lol:

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 24 Jun 2020 14:14

Sutekh
Snowflake Royal He was a big victim of Stamball. And our general trend towards appallingly implemented passing football from Adkins onward.

And just to rub salt in what’s the betting Chris Gunter will now go and captain Middlesbrough to the Premier League next season :lol:

Exceptionally remote.

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 24 Jun 2020 15:15

Not sure that I agree that he wasn’t suited to possession football. I thought Adkins basically saved his Reading career after some dreadful performances under McDermott. It obviously helped that we dropped a level but he was second in the POTS standings that season.

Thought he started the next season well including some games at left back and he looked good if unremarkable in Clarke’s “Blackman” team.

Then Stamball was the first time in a long time that he had a run of games with McCleary and for me it was when their partnership peaked. Forest at home that season was a particular joy.

SouthDownsRoyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SouthDownsRoyal » 24 Jun 2020 17:06

Snowflake Royal
Sutekh

Exceptionally remote.

:lol:

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 25 Jun 2020 12:53

Snowflake Royal
Sutekh

Exceptionally remote.

lol

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 26 Jun 2020 01:38

Good player.

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 26 Jun 2020 22:18

No more can't cross won't block.