CONFIMRED - Paul Clement appointed as new Royals boss

173 posts
genome
Hob Nob Legend

Re: CONFIMRED - Paul Clement appointed as new Royals boss

by genome » 23 Mar 2018 18:30

Longhorn1970
Denver Royal
JR I think this is an absolutely superb appointment.

Clement has got massive potential and it just feels right to have him at Reading - a perfect match.

You certainly can’t knock someone with experience at PSG, Bayern, Chelsea and Real!!

He has the contacts, both here and abroad, which should enable access to some players that we otherwise wouldn't have. And if we somehow get promoted, he has PL experience, too. You never know how things will pan out, but he brings a fair amount to the table. Will be interesting to see how many of the existing players he likes, or doesn't. Heard he's a big Chris Gunter fan. :wink:

You think we're gonna be signing people from Bayern and Real lol ! The guy also has a rep for unadventurous football and taking Swansea to the brink of relegation.

If you’re going to cite that, you should also mention that he saved Swansea from relegation last year.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 23 Mar 2018 18:30

I wish him well.
Didn’t realise his dad Dave committed suicide at just 34. I remember his dad who was a very decent player but wasn’t aware of his awful demise.

Awayawayaway

by Awayawayaway » 23 Mar 2018 18:33

He needs to be loved. A stable club that will give him time to succeed unlike Derby who sacked him when he got them ton5th in Feb. Swansea is difficult for anyone without much experience and their current manager will be gone by October.

I've come around to this appointment. Given time, his confidence will grow and I think it might just be ok.

Awayawayaway

by Awayawayaway » 23 Mar 2018 18:34

I think Longhorn needs a diazapan

Awayawayaway

by Awayawayaway » 23 Mar 2018 18:37

Also, how refreshing is it going to be, in time, going away from home or even at home, knowing we'll have a tight defence.

He's good at getting teams nice and solid.

Awayawayaway

by Awayawayaway » 23 Mar 2018 18:38

Awayawayaway Also, how refreshing is it going to be, in time, going away from home or even at home, knowing we'll have a tight defence.

:shock:

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 23 Mar 2018 18:39

I really don't get the Swansea criticism. This is a side that have been in trouble for a couple of years now, and are only in the PL to be in danger of relegation because he saved them first time round.

It's not like Swansea are as established a PL side as we are Championship, or as big size wise for the division they're in.

Criticism for failing to completely turn around that small leaking ship is hardly realistic or fair. Just because they did well for a while, well that's side has broken up and they can't sustain it longer term it seems.

Hopefully we're in a slightly better situation as we are big enough to compete in this division long term.

Longhorn1970
Hob Nob Regular

by Longhorn1970 » 23 Mar 2018 18:42

genome
Longhorn1970
Denver Royal
He has the contacts, both here and abroad, which should enable access to some players that we otherwise wouldn't have. And if we somehow get promoted, he has PL experience, too. You never know how things will pan out, but he brings a fair amount to the table. Will be interesting to see how many of the existing players he likes, or doesn't. Heard he's a big Chris Gunter fan. :wink:

You think we're gonna be signing people from Bayern and Real lol ! The guy also has a rep for unadventurous football and taking Swansea to the brink of relegation.

If you’re going to cite that, you should also mention that he saved Swansea from relegation last year.

I didn't but I'm reassured now ! Gourlay has pulled a rabbit out the hat lolz

Longhorn1970
Hob Nob Regular

by Longhorn1970 » 23 Mar 2018 18:44

Snowflake Royal I really don't get the Swansea criticism. This is a side that have been in trouble for a couple of years now, and are only in the PL to be in danger of relegation because he saved them first time round.

It's not like Swansea are as established a PL side as we are Championship, or as big size wise for the division they're in.

Criticism for failing to completely turn around that small leaking ship is hardly realistic or fair. Just because they did well for a while, well that's side has broken up and they can't sustain it longer term it seems.

Hopefully we're in a slightly better situation as we are big enough to compete in this division long term.

You could also see a transformation in Swansea once he'd gone ?

Elmpk17

by Elmpk17 » 23 Mar 2018 18:45

What is pretty frustrating is the general apathy towards Paul Clement before he's even taken control of the team. We can only judge on how results and performances are under his management for Reading FC and no one else. I'm neither delighted nor devastated with his appointment, because I can't make a judgement yet. Hopefully he's learned from mistakes made in previous jobs thus far, and adds to his skills at Reading trying not to make the same errors.
If, in the end he fails, then so be it, but I'm not going to hammer the bloke before he's started. He'll need a couple of transfer windows to build his squad at least. Let's hope he keeps us up, and progress is made next season.
All the negative stuff being said.... What's the point???? Back him and his staff, and you never know, he might do well.

Longhorn1970
Hob Nob Regular

by Longhorn1970 » 23 Mar 2018 18:46

Awayawayaway Also, how refreshing is it going to be, in time, going away from home or even at home, knowing we'll have a tight defence.

You can't beat a nice n solid ! Look forward to a few 0-0 draws which should be enuff tbf

Awayawayaway

by Awayawayaway » 23 Mar 2018 18:47

Snowflake Royal I really don't get the Swansea criticism. This is a side that have been in trouble for a couple of years now, and are only in the PL to be in danger of relegation because he saved them first time round.

I agree. He had Derby 5th in Feb ffs. He needs to settle into a club for a few years. Anyone going to a club like Swansea with their budget will struggle.

Also, look at Warnock. Guaranteed almost to get you out of the championship but utter shat in the prem. That could be Clement for all we know and in his only season in the championship he was going well.

Let's give him a chance. I much prefer this appointment to clarke.

Longhorn1970
Hob Nob Regular

by Longhorn1970 » 23 Mar 2018 18:52

Awayawayaway I think Longhorn needs a diazapan

I think you're right ;)

Longhorn1970
Hob Nob Regular

by Longhorn1970 » 23 Mar 2018 18:52

Awayawayaway

I agree. He had Derby 5th in Feb ffs. He needs to settle into a club for a few years. Anyone going to a club like Swansea with their budget will struggle.

Also, look at Warnock. Guaranteed almost to get you out of the championship but utter shat in the prem. That could be Clement for all we know and in his only season in the championship he was going well.

Let's give him a chance. I much prefer this appointment to clarke.

Awayawayaway

by Awayawayaway » 23 Mar 2018 19:00

Sweeeet Clementine
Whao whao whao
Good times never felt so good :lol:

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 23 Mar 2018 19:16

Longhorn1970
Denver Royal
JR I think this is an absolutely superb appointment.

Clement has got massive potential and it just feels right to have him at Reading - a perfect match.

You certainly can’t knock someone with experience at PSG, Bayern, Chelsea and Real!!

You think we're gonna be signing people from Bayern and Real lol !

I hope so, yeah. Sorry, but I didn't actually mention any specific clubs. But since you have, yeah, even a player or two from their secondary teams or academies might be nice, even if only on loan. And of course, he will have contacts in UK, too, which is what I said.

Longhorn1970
Hob Nob Regular

by Longhorn1970 » 23 Mar 2018 19:19

Denver Royal
Longhorn1970
Denver Royal

You think we're gonna be signing people from Bayern and Real lol !

I hope so, yeah. Sorry, but I didn't actually mention any specific clubs. But since you have, yeah, even a player or two from their secondary teams or academies might be nice, even if only on loan. And of course, he will have contacts in UK, too, which is what I said.

Ah it's good to dream ..

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: Paul Clement appointed as new Royals boss

by Sutekh » 23 Mar 2018 19:20

Hoop Blah
Sutekh
Only one Trevor Morley No mention of contract length. I wonder if that is because it’s just till end if season. Can’t see clement in league one...

Ron said it is a long term deal but did not specify the length despite being asked.

One of the good things I heard from Paul is that while he pays due diligence to opponents he is much more concerned about getting his team organised and playing his way which hopefully means the fiddling about with team selections that we've seen over the last few seasons will be over once Paul gets a largely fit squad (and this miserable season is over).

He also made the point that he will be looking for a balanced style, not a defensive one and not an all out attacking approach that will leave the side too open.

He also said that in the past he's paid attention to fans views on playing style. That might indicate that he's taken on-board any constructive criticism of his teams being too defensive in the past.

Trouble is his hands are more than tied given the horrendous injury list he’s been left with so not only has he got to get his management team together, get the players lifted and believing he’s also got to fathom out a way forward with limited options.

If he succeeds with all those handicaps the club might be into something with this appointment. Trouble is how many of our wonderful fans will be slagging him off if he struggles to get anything together in the first 3 games or so?

Awayawayaway

by Awayawayaway » 23 Mar 2018 19:23

Itsostly mongs on here that are that reactionary to be fair.

Most of the normal people you speak with in the pubs and bars around reading are pretty clued up.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 23 Mar 2018 19:25

I’m hoping the majority of those injuries have cleared up

Swift has to be 100% by now surely? Hopefully Elphick and McShane back, Richards, Kelly, Yann - even Mendes as well

He isn’t short of options

173 posts