MATCHWATCH : Queens Park Rangers (h) sponsored by the season starts here

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

MATCHWATCH : Queens Park Rangers (h) sponsored by the season starts here

by Sutekh » 27 Mar 2018 09:29

When : Friday, 30th March, 5.30pm
Where : Madejski Stadium, Reading, RG2 0FL
Capacity : 24,161

Well after almost two weeks Reading will return to the field of play but with a new general. In a move everyone was resigned to never seeing this season, Jaap and his merry band have gone and been swiftly replaced by a hoped for miracle worker in Paul Clement.

Given the idiocy of international breaks disrupting everything (and the even more stupid stupidity of some FAs to take their players to the other side of the world during a season for pointless crapola games) Mr Clement will barely have more than 2 days to work with what there is of a full squad of players so expecting anything too different might be a bit much.

However, what I would hope for is a bit of a lift and positivity around the entire ground, not just from the fans but also the players on realising that the slate is clean and things will be whatever they can make of them. So perhaps a bit more zip and obvious effort in the right places might seen rather than anything in too different playing wise.

Perhaps it might be a new dawn for Aluko, perhaps we might see him playing more of a wing role rather than the dreadful drifting about inside and doing not very much but getting in the way. Perhaps we might see a slightly rejuvenated Blackett. Perhaps we might see slightly better striking options and players opting for safety first rather than the mantra “if in doubt, kick it about between the back four”.

Just also believe that it might be the end to unnecessary team alterations and playing square pegs in round holes for seemingly no better reason than you can do that if you're the manager.

If nothing else let’s hope the supporters decide to start anew as the playing future is still very much in the club's hands. It’s now safe to come out of the cupboard or wherever you’ve been hiding in the hope it all went away because it has all gone away. Whoever plays get behind the team for 90 minutes and urge them onwards like never before. Make noise, lot’s of it and really ramp the volume up.

Issues still abound though. The injury list is as immense as ever meaning team selection is pretty much automatic though Martin should be back from illness, Swift should be riskable and we should be in the territory of Elphick re-emerging very very soon.

Then there’s the opposition. It’s the fakes. It’s Tredder’s favourites. It’s QPR. And in recent years this fixture has been completely atrocious featuring 2 dreadful teams who failed to provide any entertainment between them. In particular the last 2 games have seen 2 away wins with 0 goals from Reading and 2 for the visitors. Last year was particularly awful with yet another defensive howler trying to outdo the year before that when Al-Habsi managed to drop a tame ball into his own net in the last minute and get Steve Clarke the sack in the process.

Even Sky have learned it’s a total arse of a fixture and won’t televise it any more despite Reading’s attempt to entice them by switching the kick off way back early on in the season.

In fact this fixture would appear to be ideal for the current Reading run of 1 win in 18 and 1 clean sheet in 19. In Reading’s favour though QPR have nothing whatsoever to play for and have done nothing much all season apart from successfully battle to stay about 15th. Watch out though, QPR did come from 2-0 down last time out to get a draw at in form Fulham, the game before that saw them win 3-1 at Villa and they're on a run of 4 games without defeat - though they've only managed one clean sheet away from home all season.

Referee

Old Man Andrews will be happy as, for the fourth time this season, Nottinghamshire's David Coote is currently scheduled to take ownership of Reading brave and bright new future.

Previously

10 Feb 2017 > Middlesbrough 2-1 Reading
25 Nov 2017 > Reading 0-0 Sheffield Wednesday
21 Oct 2017 > Sheffield United 2-1 Reading
05 Nov 2016 > Wigan Athletic 0-3 Reading
17 Sep 2016 > Barnsley 1-2 Reading
12 Jan 2016 > Derby County 1-1 Reading
22 Aug 2015 > Reading 0-0 MK Dons
16 Feb 2014 > Queen's Park Rangers 1-3 Reading
07 Dec 2013 > Reading 1-2 AFC Bournemouth
03 Aug 2013 > Reading 2-1 Ipswich Town
11 Feb 2012 > Reading 2-0 Coventry City

Historically

Overall Reading have an edge on league fixtures in the "binary" derby by 36 wins to 29. There have been 22 stalemates.

Thus this game is the 44th league visit from that lot at the (other) end of the M4 and Reading have recorded 25 victories to 9 from the Rangers but failed to win any of the previous 5 home fixtures

Why binary derby? Well the last 7 home games have been truly IT techie like and dull in the extreme with about as many shots as there have been goals resulting in scores of 0-0, 1-0, 0-1, 0-0, 1-1, 0-1, 0-1.

So not a lot for Reading to have to improve on then and even in the current run of ***** they should have a chance of that.

How to follow the game

1. Get a ticket and travel to the game
  2. Listen to Radio 5 Live and/or a myriad of other radio stations for score flashes
  3. Ring/text a mate for updates
  4. Use an iFollow subscription
  5. BBC Radio Berkshire (FM : 104.4, 104.1 or 95.4 depending where you are in the area)

Old Man Andrews

Re: MATCHWATCH : Queens Park Rangers (h) sponsored by the season starts here

by Old Man Andrews » 27 Mar 2018 09:32

COOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOTE

He is the undisputed king of Championship officials. What a hero.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 27 Mar 2018 11:02

nice write up Sutekh

Tilehurstsouthbank
Hob Nob Regular

by Tilehurstsouthbank » 27 Mar 2018 12:09

Can't believe how up for this one I am! I so dreaded going to matches recently. It's a new start and I get the feeling I might leave this game with no voice! :mrgreen:

Wycombe Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by Wycombe Royal » 27 Mar 2018 12:18

I'm in a box for this one, so at least if it lives up to the excitement of previous encounters with QPR I can just stay inside and drink the free beer....

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 27 Mar 2018 12:19

Wycombe Royal I'm in a box for this one

I hope they have put air holes in it.

Wycombe Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by Wycombe Royal » 27 Mar 2018 12:30

Old Man Andrews
Wycombe Royal I'm in a box for this one

I hope they have put air holes in it.

I'm sure there are a few who hope they don't......

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 29 Mar 2018 09:22

Jack Robinson, Josh Scowen and Idrissa Sylla are all in line to play some part for QPR tomorrow following return from injury.

Incidentally, I note that Paul Clement makes his debut as Reading manager against the team that his dad played so long for....

Bazooka Joe

by Bazooka Joe » 29 Mar 2018 09:44

First game of the season for me and my boy so the season does indeed start here!

Za Vas

by Za Vas » 29 Mar 2018 12:46

Sutekh Even Sky have learned it’s a total arse of a fixture and won’t televise it any more despite Reading’s attempt to entice them by switching the kick off way back early on in the season.

Thanks for the write up Sutekh.

Does anyone know any more about why the fixture is at half 5? I can’t make the later kick off time but assumed it would be on tv – seriously miffed at the fact it’s not.

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 29 Mar 2018 14:34

It's interesting that our season literally started with QPR (A) and now it's metaphorically starting again with.... QPR (H).

Hopefully we start the season against QPR better than when we last started the season against QPR.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 29 Mar 2018 17:25

So neither Elphick or McShane are fit for tomorrow so it’s either Ilori or Blackett alongside Moore.
The fake hoops have now sold 3000 tickets so will fill up most of the South Stand.

We might just break 20,000 tomorrow although the poor weather forecast may deter the less committed supporters from attending.

Gunny Fishcake
Hob Nob Regular

by Gunny Fishcake » 29 Mar 2018 17:59

Hound nice write up Sutekh

+1 As always

First game I've felt excited about for ages and looking forward to it.

New manager, new era, new style of play, new hope .....I'm going to enjoy it till at least 7.30pm tomorrow night !

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 29 Mar 2018 19:21

Got lucky with one of those Royal reward things and got a hospitality place for tomorrow and the posh red seats. So can be as good or piss down as much as it likes far as I’m concerned

Still sounds like quite a few injuries - Bod, Elphick, McShane, Richards etc. Really could have done with them all fit

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 29 Mar 2018 20:01

Hound Got lucky with one of those Royal reward things and got a hospitality place for tomorrow and the posh red seats. So can be as good or piss down as much as it likes far as I’m concerned

Still sounds like quite a few injuries - Bod, Elphick, McShane, Richards etc. Really could have done with them all fit

Yep me and my lad won the Premier suite for the Bolton game through Royals Rewards. It was a nice treat but a bit too corporate for both of us. Enjoy.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 29 Mar 2018 20:17

Hound nice write up Sutekh

Agreed. Excellent as always.

JoeyJoeJoeJnrShabadoo

by JoeyJoeJoeJnrShabadoo » 30 Mar 2018 00:33

thanks

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 30 Mar 2018 12:15

NewCorkSeth
Old Man Andrews
North Royal Lad 5.30 pm kick off not on sky

Why haven't you been banned yet? Take a hint and f*ck off.

Yeah I second this. Please ban the troll.

Agreed.

JeffVedar

by JeffVedar » 30 Mar 2018 14:02

Any chance match could be called off ... even at Half Time.. forecast is for heavy rain... ?

alfie9

by alfie9 » 30 Mar 2018 16:43

Line up:

Mannone, Gunter, Ilori, Moore, Blackett, Van Den Berg, Edwards, Swift, Aluko, Barrow, Martin

Bench: Jaakkola, Holmes, Evans, Bacuna, Clement, Kermorgant, Smith