MATCHWATCH : Aston Villa (a) sponsored by a night out in the Midlands

194 posts
Hound
Hob Nob Legend

Re: MATCHWATCH : Aston Villa (a) sponsored by a night out in the Midlands

by Hound » 03 Apr 2018 22:16

Bacuna Swift Kelly has to be the way forward for this midfield

Clement has improved but the other options are just not good enough - or anywhere near

double d

by double d » 03 Apr 2018 22:16

VM :wink: trying his best to keep us up.

If he did not save that pen and barnsley won game in hand we would have been level on points with them

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 03 Apr 2018 22:19

Hound Bacuna Swift Kelly has to be the way forward for this midfield

Clement has improved but the other options are just not good enough - or anywhere near

Yes that’s the midfield I want to see.

royal_rumble

by royal_rumble » 03 Apr 2018 22:19

Zip That’s Edwards first career sending off. Thanks a lot Dave. I really don’t think he’s up to it at this level. Far too slow.
We are really poor in central midfield these days. I hope Clement is more positive on Saturday. Swift is not firing but he remains our best creative outlet.Clement has to start him.

Friday he was slow, cumbersome and massively off the pace of the game. Looked like an accident waiting to happen and so it has proven, twice. It concerns me Clement didn't pick this up coming into tonight.

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal_jimmy » 03 Apr 2018 22:23

Maybe tonight was a blessing. Dave Edwards shouldn't be near our starting 11 based on his poor performances. Evans, Kelly and Swift need to start Saturday.

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 03 Apr 2018 23:27

Frankly in reality we have 4 games left to save our season. just omit Fulham and Cardiff, we have to prey we are 3 points or more clear on the last day or it could be seriously squeaky bum time.

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 03 Apr 2018 23:58

windermereROYAL Frankly in reality we have 4 games left to save our season. just omit Fulham and Cardiff, we have to prey we are 3 points or more clear on the last day or it could be seriously squeaky bum time.

All things considered, Cardiff last game of the season could be like our game against Birmingham after we secured the title on the penultimate game, we were just in party mode and Birmingham secured the 2-0 win.

10539.4 Miles Away
Hob Nob Regular

by 10539.4 Miles Away » 04 Apr 2018 00:36

Hound
Biscuitman62
FiNeRaIn
Edwards was a garbage signing in the first place. Just shows how bad recruitment has been the last year. When we hopefully get rid in the summer can he take Tevreden with him?

Yes, wonder if we could get Nicky Hammond back now

I doubt West Brom would let him go - doing a cracking job there

Not according to a lot of their fans! Saw a fair amount of 'Hammond out as well' tweets etc when Pardew got sacked.

https://www.google.com.au/amp/s/amp.hitc.com/en-gb/2018/02/07/do-west-brom-fans-turn-on-technical-director-nick-hammond-via-tw/

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 04 Apr 2018 07:37

Yep I was being sarcastic sorry. He has been rubbish

10539.4 Miles Away
Hob Nob Regular

by 10539.4 Miles Away » 04 Apr 2018 07:39

Hound Yep I was being sarcastic sorry. He has been rubbish

fcking lol. I'm nobbing terribly at the moment. Will try and up my game.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 04 Apr 2018 07:43

Christ, our fans really are a bunch of bedwetting melts.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 04 Apr 2018 07:52

Snowflake Royal Christ, our fans really are a bunch of bedwetting melts.

Agree it’s a bit of an overreaction. I think things were going to plan quite well until Edwards idiocy

However it’s a reality check for anyone who thought otherwise - we’re a pretty poor team. No manager coming In can change that with 8 games to go

Whether we are poor enough to go down - I don’t think so.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 04 Apr 2018 08:05

That was poor last night but it is largely all down to Dave Edwards, he has cost us the game. I think we could have gone on to get something last night 11 v 11.We weathered the early storm and were bedding in to get a 0-0 at least and then the most experienced man on the pitch kills us through his sheer idiocy. I can accept that sort of thing from an academy kid but an experienced international player can have no excuses, he nearly cost us against QPR too.

I don't want to see him in a Reading shirt again. Nice guy but not what we need going forward.
Last edited by Old Man Andrews on 04 Apr 2018 08:27, edited 1 time in total.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 04 Apr 2018 08:25

Agree fully OMA

Noticed they were the only two yellow cards in the match as well

Truth is Edwards has been poor for us. These were the kind of games where I thought he’d be popping up with last minute winners, not getting sent off.
Last edited by Hound on 04 Apr 2018 08:26, edited 1 time in total.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 04 Apr 2018 08:25

Hound

Agree it’s a bit of an overreaction. I think things were going to plan quite well until Edwards idiocy

However it’s a reality check for anyone who thought otherwise - we’re a pretty poor team. No manager coming In can change that with 8 games to go

A reality check only needed by the sort of clown reacting like the sky is falling.

10539.4 Miles Away
Hob Nob Regular

by 10539.4 Miles Away » 04 Apr 2018 08:27

Old Man Andrews That was poor last night but it is largely all down to Dave Edwards, he has cost us the game. I think we could have gone on to get something last night 11 v 11.We weathered the early storm and were bedding in to get a 0-0 at least and then the most experienced man on the pitch kills us through his sheer idiocy. I can accept that sort of thing from an academy kid but an experienced internation player can have no excuses, he nearly cost us against QPR too.

I don't want to see him in a Reading shirt again. Nice guy but not what we need going forward.

As we all acknowledged he was shattered with about 30 to go on Friday, I would question whether he should have been selected for the game as, having seen the highlights both were really tired tackles that he shouldn't have even gone near.

Please note, this is not meant as a dig at Clement, just think that some of the reaction may be a little harsh on Dave.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 04 Apr 2018 08:30

Hound Agree fully OMA

Noticed they were the only two yellow cards in the match as well

Truth is Edwards has been poor for us. These were the kind of games where I thought he’d be popping up with last minute winners, not getting sent off.

For me if we are going to use him then it should be late on in games off the bench. Currently he is a bigger liability than JVDB which is really saying something. I don't like slagging Edwards off because like I said he seems like a sound bloke but that doesn't make you a good footballer.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 04 Apr 2018 08:37

10539.4 Miles Away
Old Man Andrews That was poor last night but it is largely all down to Dave Edwards, he has cost us the game. I think we could have gone on to get something last night 11 v 11.We weathered the early storm and were bedding in to get a 0-0 at least and then the most experienced man on the pitch kills us through his sheer idiocy. I can accept that sort of thing from an academy kid but an experienced internation player can have no excuses, he nearly cost us against QPR too.

As we all acknowledged he was shattered with about 30 to go on Friday, I would question whether he should have been selected for the game as, having seen the highlights both were really tired tackles that he shouldn't have even gone near.

Please note, this is not meant as a dig at Clement, just think that some of the reaction may be a little harsh on Dave.

Yep I would agree. Would much rather see Dave coming on with 10 minutes left to close games out/win a game with a few minutes to go.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 04 Apr 2018 09:35

Hound

Exactly... I don't think any judgement should be made on Clement at all until we are well into next season. All he has to try and do right now is to get us 2 or 3 wins to stay safe. We've got one of those - hopefully the others will be at home to Sunderland and Ipswich, any other points we can collect along the way is a bonus.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 04 Apr 2018 09:42

genome
Hound

Exactly... I don't think any judgement should be made on Clement at all until we are well into next season. All he has to try and do right now is to get us 2 or 3 wins to stay safe. We've got one of those - hopefully the others will be at home to Sunderland and Ipswich, any other points we can collect along the way is a bonus.

Judging Clement now is stupid and completely irrational. He has already achieved one win in two games and last night we could easily have got something if Edwards hadn't have lost his mind. He clearly has the players working harder and commiting to the cause, look at the battle and spirit we were showing before the first goal went in last night for example and the determination to hold on against QPR. That must have come from Clement and his coaching team, the players certainly weren't giving Stam this much effort.

Time to get behind Clement and the team now, no point in dwelling on last night too much is there? The red card killed us, simple as that.

194 posts