BFTG - Bolton

219 posts
Worthingroyal

Re: BFTG - Bolton

by Worthingroyal » 18 Aug 2018 20:45

Best move of the game for us , in my opinion, was, sadly just before Bod came on, was a cross from Swift with the outside of his right boot towards McNulty i believe. There didn't seem a lot of point using wingers in a game where everyone of their starting 11 was over 6 foot and winning most headers.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 18 Aug 2018 20:52

Can always put in low crosses

LightwaterRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by LightwaterRoyal » 18 Aug 2018 21:18

Back from IFollow. So obvious how much we rely on Barrow. Extremely poor performance. Most players couldn't play a simple 6 yard pass today which is absolutely shocking.

Mannone - 6. Didn't have much to do. Thought perhaps he could have come out quicker to stop the goal but would have to see it again.

Yiadom - 5. Average game today, but he has been good recently, gave the ball away too often and took too many touches. Out of position for the Bolton goal.

McShane - 6. Dealt with pretty much everything that came his way.

Moore - 6. As above did enough today without being spectacular.

Blackett - 8. One of few positives. Got forward well and battled hard.

Meite - 7. Worked hard, battled well, showed passion and fight and did the odd bit of skill to create an opportunity. Reminds me of Michail Antonio.

Meyler - 5. Looked sloppy, too many touches, too slow on the ball. Probably should have scored.

Kelly - 5. Always looks for the ball, has the ability to open teams up but he's too safe with his passing. Slows us down as a team and gave the Bolton players time to get behind the ball. Very disappointing considering how well he started his time at Reading.

Swift - 6. As above but did try to get us playing more. Short on confidence.

Baldock - 5. Off the pace, couldn't find a teammate with a pass. But he does seem to be slowly building an understanding with McNulty.

McNulty - 6. Shows for the ball from midfielders, gets in good pockets of space and has the vision and confidence to pick out a teammate with a quick flick. I think he'll do well once he adjusts.

Bodvarsson - 6. Worked hard, no service. Won a few free kicks. Probably start on Tuesday.

Bacuna - 6. Trying too hard to force it today. Nothing was coming off for him. Hope he gets back in the side though as we miss his ability of carrying the ball forward from midfield.

Popa - 6. Didn't have much time. Looked up for it and I would like to see him start on Tuesday.

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 18 Aug 2018 21:19

2 minutes into injury time. we get a corner, we crowd the box, Mannone comes up. Kelly takes a truly awful corner and hits the first man, mass exodus. time to go. summed up a terrible afternoon for me.

John Madejski's Wallet
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Anyone who lives within their means shows a serious lack of imagination

by John Madejski's Wallet » 18 Aug 2018 21:45

Armadillo Roadkill He did the complicated stuff well, but the easy stuff badly.

That's quite an excellent summation of swift tbf

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 18 Aug 2018 21:51

CountryRoyal Kelly 4 - really just doesn’t bring anything to the team at the moment, and hasn’t for a long time. No impact on the game and poor set piece delivery.

Swift 7 - it’s strange how people see the same game. Thought he was by far our best player and the only one demonstrating any quality in any capacity. Good footwork and decent link up play.

Funny indeed. I saw Kelly do very little in possession, and I'm not saying he had a good game. But I didn't see him give it away cheaply by being stupid in our own half, and I did see him win the ball back on multiple occasions. I saw Swift do none of that.

Swift did prance around a few challenges extremely well. But it never really seemed to amount to anything and he was just as guilty of slowing play down and not passing into the front players. Plus his shooting was godawful. Just thought I'd throw some stats up for the midfielders to see what they show - I've not looked yet, but I'd guess Kelly's pass success, tackles, interceptions and being dispossessed would all be better than Swift and not much difference in key passes. So we'll see what it shows as an objective look at things. Not saying it's definitive or proves anyone wrong.

Swift
Passes 62, key 1, PA 93.6%, crosses 2, accurate 0, long balls 0, through balls 0, shots 3, OT 1
Tackles 0, interceptions 1, clearances 1, dispossessed 4, unsuccessful touches 1
Total positive offensive contributions 2
Total positive defensive contributions 2
Errors 5

Kelly
Passes 110, key 3, PA 93.6%, crosses 4, accurate 1, longballs 7, accurate 4, through balls 0, Shots 1, OT 0,
Tackles 2, interceptions 1, clearances 3, dispossessed 1, unsuccessful touches 2
Total positive offensive contributions 4
Total positive defensive contributions 5
Errors 3

Meyler (LoL)
Passes 51, key 0, PA 86.3%, crosses 2, accurate 2 :shock: , longballs 3, accurate 0, through balls 0, shots 1, OT 0
Tackles 3, interceptions 0, clearances 0, dispossessed 3, unsuccessful touches 2
Total positive defensive contributions 3
Errors 5

Bacuna
Passes 29, key 1, PA 82.8%, crosses 0, longballs 3, accurate 0, through balls 0, shots 0
Tackles 1, interceptions 0, clearances 1, dispossessed 2, unsuccessful touches 0
Total positive offensive contributions 1
Errors 2

It doesn't prove anything by any means, as I said, but it certainly doesn't make me want to change my mind about thinking Kelly played better than Swift. Also, I think I'm using the Whoscored chalkboard right, but according to that, Kelly made 76 forward passes (69%) to Swift's 32 (51%) Just saying.

Oh, and in my defence I was in the South, so couldn't make out a lot of who did what at the North end towards the end. So if Swift created stuff then I may have easily missed it.
Last edited by Snowflake Royal on 18 Aug 2018 21:59, edited 1 time in total.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 18 Aug 2018 21:59

John Madejski's Wallet
Armadillo Roadkill He did the complicated stuff well, but the easy stuff badly.

That's quite an excellent summation of swift tbf

Yep, but he is in the team to do the complicated stuff.

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 18 Aug 2018 22:03

Snowflake Royal Kelly
Passes 110

I was at the point of counting the number of sideway passes Kelly was making in the second half. Baldock was running the line but there was no attempt to play a ball into space to run onto.

Any stats on McShane. How many times did he push forward, only to go nowhere and pass the ball backwards in the second half.

I bet his pass count was high. :roll:

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 18 Aug 2018 22:07

Pleased Clement is as angry as the rest of us, that 2nd half was a joke and unacceptable.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 18 Aug 2018 22:10

Lower West
Snowflake Royal Kelly
Passes 110

I was at the point of counting the number of sideway passes Kelly was making in the second half. Baldock was running the line but there was no attempt to play a ball into space to run onto.

Any stats on McShane. How many times did he push forward, only to go nowhere and pass the ball backwards in the second half.

I bet his pass count was high. :roll:

This chalboard thing is fun*

McShane made 8 backwards passes in the opposition half, 8 forward passes in the opposition half, and 15 sideways, total of 78 passes (3rd highest behind Kelly and Moore)
Moore by comparison was 5, 6 and 11 out of 91

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 18 Aug 2018 22:12

Swift was alright today, certainly not someone I'd target as letting us down. Criticism is harsh.

If you want to blame anyone have a look at McShane, Kelly and Meyler. All three were complete passengers and played into Bolton's hands.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 18 Aug 2018 22:14

Old Man Andrews Swift was alright today, certainly not someone I'd target as letting us down. Criticism is harsh.

If you want to blame anyone have a look at McShane, Kelly and Meyler. All three were complete passengers and played into Bolton's hands.

Just watched the goal again and I have no idea what McShane was playing at. Dreadful positioning. Moore not a lot better. Between the two of them they really messed up.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 18 Aug 2018 22:16

Zip
Old Man Andrews Swift was alright today, certainly not someone I'd target as letting us down. Criticism is harsh.

Just watched the goal again and I have no idea what McShane was playing at. Dreadful positioning. Moore not a lot better. Between the two of them they really messed up.

McShane has sadly had his day now and it's probably time to to move on now, every dog has it's day.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 18 Aug 2018 22:18

add him to the list

Sorry, cannot warm to Moore, never have (certainly not Prem material)
Last edited by AthleticoSpizz on 18 Aug 2018 22:19, edited 1 time in total.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 18 Aug 2018 22:19

Snowflake Royal
CountryRoyal Kelly 4 - really just doesn’t bring anything to the team at the moment, and hasn’t for a long time. No impact on the game and poor set piece delivery.

Swift 7 - it’s strange how people see the same game. Thought he was by far our best player and the only one demonstrating any quality in any capacity. Good footwork and decent link up play.

Funny indeed. I saw Kelly do very little in possession, and I'm not saying he had a good game. But I didn't see him give it away cheaply by being stupid in our own half, and I did see him win the ball back on multiple occasions. I saw Swift do none of that.

Swift did prance around a few challenges extremely well. But it never really seemed to amount to anything and he was just as guilty of slowing play down and not passing into the front players. Plus his shooting was godawful. Just thought I'd throw some stats up for the midfielders to see what they show - I've not looked yet, but I'd guess Kelly's pass success, tackles, interceptions and being dispossessed would all be better than Swift and not much difference in key passes. So we'll see what it shows as an objective look at things. Not saying it's definitive or proves anyone wrong.

Swift
Passes 62, key 1, PA 93.6%, crosses 2, accurate 0, long balls 0, through balls 0, shots 3, OT 1
Tackles 0, interceptions 1, clearances 1, dispossessed 4, unsuccessful touches 1
Errors 5

Kelly
Passes 110, key 3, PA 93.6%, crosses 4, accurate 1, longballs 7, accurate 4, through balls 0, Shots 1, OT 0,
Tackles 2, interceptions 1, clearances 3, dispossessed 1, unsuccessful touches 2
Errors 3

Meyler (LoL)
Passes 51, key 0, PA 86.3%, crosses 2, accurate 2 :shock: , longballs 3, accurate 0, through balls 0, shots 1, OT 0
Tackles 3, interceptions 0, clearances 0, dispossessed 3, unsuccessful touches 2
Errors 5

Bacuna
Passes 29, key 1, PA 82.8%, crosses 0, longballs 3, accurate 0, through balls 0, shots 0
Tackles 1, interceptions 0, clearances 1, dispossessed 2, unsuccessful touches 0
Errors 2

It doesn't prove anything by any means, as I said, but it certainly doesn't make me want to change my mind about thinking Kelly played better than Swift. Also, I think I'm using the Whoscored chalkboard right, but according to that, Kelly made 76 forward passes (69%) to Swift's 32 (51%) Just saying.

Oh, and in my defence I was in the South, so couldn't make out a lot of who did what at the North end towards the end. So if Swift created stuff then I may have easily missed it.

Kelly was playing mostly behind Swift so I’m not surprised he played more forward balls.

Unfortunately Kelly is fast resembling Danny Guthrie. Gets the ball, pauses, looks around and then either plays a diagonal Hollywood ball that takes ages to land giving the opposition time to get into shape or plays a short pass to a defender or another midfielder in no space at all.

there is an argument that says it’s not Kelly’s fault there are no options it’s the rest of the team. The movement first half was OK. Second half Kelly included it was dreadful.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 18 Aug 2018 22:25

leon
Snowflake Royal

Swift
Errors 5

Kelly
Errors 3

Meyler (LoL)
Errors 5

Bacuna
Errors 2

Kelly was playing mostly behind Swift so I’m not surprised he played more forward balls.

Unfortunately Kelly is fast resembling Danny Guthrie. Gets the ball, pauses, looks around and then either plays a diagonal Hollywood ball that takes ages to land giving the opposition time to get into shape or plays a short pass to a defender or another midfielder in no space at all.

there is an argument that says it’s not Kelly’s fault there are no options it’s the rest of the team. The movement first half was OK. Second half Kelly included it was dreadful.

It was a typical Kelly performance. Two or three long crossfield balls which were accurate but took us no further forward. Other times where he held onto the ball too long and we lost momentum. There were lots of sideways and short passes which achieved nothing and some poor corners. There was one decent freekick which Moore should have buried. There were two or three decent forward passes into space in the second half but he is not creative and in my view not effective enough to be a regular starter.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 18 Aug 2018 22:27

Just seen the goal. Was even worse than I expected. Sunday pub league level defending from a basic move

Awful from Moore and McShane

We will not win games if we defend like that.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 18 Aug 2018 22:36

Hound Just seen the goal. Was even worse than I expected. Sunday pub league level defending from a basic move

Awful from Moore and McShane

We will not win games if we defend like that.

Not sure about you but I got the feeling his anger on BBC Berks was directed fully at McShane. Think the selection error Clement admitted to making relates to the picking of McShane. Can see him being dropped indefinity and possible removal of captaincy. Quietest I have heard McShane today.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 18 Aug 2018 22:39

We’ll find out sure enough, on Wednesday.

Ascotexgunner
Hob Nob Addict

by Ascotexgunner » 18 Aug 2018 22:45

What frustrates me about Kelly is that he wants to be a Wilshire/Fabregas type player and he has got the attributes but its the basics he gets wrong. The fact he never drives forward or the fact he releases the ball way too early. He always seems to stand on the ball, look up and look for the pass instead of running into space and drawing players into him whilst being aware of his own players making runs. I have no idea how you coach that out of him.
Last edited by Ascotexgunner on 18 Aug 2018 22:48, edited 1 time in total.

219 posts