BFTG - Bolton

219 posts
Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: BFTG - Bolton

by Lower West » 18 Aug 2018 22:47

leon
there is an argument that says it’s not Kelly’s fault there are no options it’s the rest of the team. The movement first half was OK. Second half Kelly included it was dreadful.

You'd expect Meyler to sit deep and act as an achor. While Kelly drives forward and takes people onin order to create space. Sadly he lacks that 5 yard acceleration to be effective enough to open up the game. Bacuna was frustrating today but at least he drives forward with intent. Tries to make things happen in the opposition third.

paddy20
Hob Nob Regular

by paddy20 » 18 Aug 2018 22:50

CavershamRoyal Haven't read the thread in detail but the initial criticism of Swift seems odd to me.

His touch and skill on the ball is a class above. Always seemed to beat his man, and was where most of our attacks came through. My man of the match. Good free kick too.

Plus one on that. I think he was only slow because no-one else was running into space

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 18 Aug 2018 22:50

Old Man Andrews
Hound Just seen the goal. Was even worse than I expected. Sunday pub league level defending from a basic move

Awful from Moore and McShane

We will not win games if we defend like that.

Not sure about you but I got the feeling his anger on BBC Berks was directed fully at McShane. Think the selection error Clement admitted to making relates to the picking of McShane. Can see him being dropped indefinity and possible removal of captaincy. Quietest I have heard McShane today.

It wouldn’t surprise me. Clement isn’t blind and I’m sure he, just like all of us could see that Ilori has been our best performer this season but how can you drop the person you’ve just made captain?

The way I saw it is he gave the captaincy to Moore in the league cup to prime him for his reinclusion into the first team in the league at the expense of McShane. Probably looking too much into it but either way I expect and hope that we see Moore and Ilori for Blackburn.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 18 Aug 2018 22:52

Hopefully Moore will raise his game a little further, that being the case.

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 18 Aug 2018 22:54

Old Man Andrews Not sure about you but I got the feeling his anger on BBC Berks was directed fully at McShane. Think the selection error Clement admitted to making relates to the picking of McShane. Can see him being dropped indefinity and possible removal of captaincy. Quietest I have heard McShane today.

LLori has looked much improved this season. Today was always going to be physical battle rather than pace, Hence the team selection.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 18 Aug 2018 22:57

Old Man Andrews
Hound Just seen the goal. Was even worse than I expected. Sunday pub league level defending from a basic move

Not sure about you but I got the feeling his anger on BBC Berks was directed fully at McShane. Think the selection error Clement admitted to making relates to the picking of McShane. Can see him being dropped indefinity and possible removal of captaincy. Quietest I have heard McShane today.

The anger will be aimed at either McShane or Moore. One of them will be dropped on Wednesday. I expect it will be McShane. Ilori will start. He should have started today. Had he done so we may well have avoided conceding such a poor goal.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 18 Aug 2018 23:08

Slightly tangential but I thought the boos were poor form. Yes we’re coming off the back of a horrific season and the second half today probably brought back feelings of “here we go again”, and it’s a third straight defeat...

BUT, that was practically an entire new team and we’ve actually shown a lot of improvement overall imho, that’s not to say we’re overly good but more highlights just how shit we were last season. I’m firmly in the you pay your money you do what you please camp, but I think it’s been 3 oxf*rd games and it’s far too early to being booing a team like this. It wasn’t without effort, just quality.

Muskrat
Hob Nob Regular

by Muskrat » 18 Aug 2018 23:13

What an utterly dispiriting game. We never looked like scoring and looked lightweight up against a well drilled Bolton side.

No width whatsoever and hence no service to the strikers. I'm not getting the baiting of Swift, he was the only one who looked likely to create anything at all for us. Likewise Kelly, who had a decent game I thought. Myler however was atrocious. Maybe just a bad day at the office but he had a stinker.

Meite I thought was pretty poor as well and I'm amazed that he stayed on the pitch for the whole game.

Two more defeats in the next week and we're cut adrift at the bottom. Depressing times to be a Reading fan I'm afraid :|

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 18 Aug 2018 23:18

CountryRoyal Slightly tangential but I thought the boos were poor form. Yes we’re coming off the back of a horrific season and the second half today probably brought back feelings of “here we go again”, and it’s a third straight defeat...

BUT, that was practically an entire new team and we’ve actually shown a lot of improvement overall imho, that’s not to say we’re overly good but more highlights just how shit we were last season. I’m firmly in the you pay your money you do what you please camp, but I think it’s been 3 oxf*rd games and it’s far too early to being booing a team like this. It wasn’t without effort, just quality.

My first game of the season today and I was extremely hacked off with what I saw. No improvement on last season. I know we played well against Derby but today was a big disappointment. It’s the same failings which frustrate the fans. The soft goal. The lack of urgency. The lack of conviction in our play. The poor quality of our play etc etc. They need to sharpen up and quickly.

It wasn’t an entire new team. Mannone, McShane, Moore, Blackett, Swift and Kelly were all regulars under Stam.

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 18 Aug 2018 23:21

Zip
Old Man Andrews

The anger will be aimed at either McShane or Moore. One of them will be dropped on Wednesday. I expect it will be McShane.

And yet defense has been the least of our worries. What if we had won 3-1? Even 0-0 would have been a poor result...

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 18 Aug 2018 23:21

Just to add that we have been level at half time in our three League games this season and gone on to lose each of them. The players seem fit enough this season so is it simply we are not good enough or a lack of self belief?

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 18 Aug 2018 23:25

Zip
CountryRoyal Slightly tangential but I thought the boos were poor form. Yes we’re coming off the back of a horrific season and the second half today probably brought back feelings of “here we go again”, and it’s a third straight defeat...

My first game of the season today and I was extremely hacked off with what I saw. No improvement on last season. I know we played well against Derby but today was a big disappointment. It’s the same failings which frustrate the fans. The soft goal. The lack of urgency. The lack of conviction in our play. The poor quality of our play etc etc. They need to sharpen up and quickly.

It wasn’t an entire new team. Mannone, McShane, Moore, Blackett, Swift and Kelly were all regulars under Stam.

That’s fair enough Zip and I’m not saying it wasn’t awful but I’ve seen enough in the other three games that have shown improvement in our overall play, if not necessarily up top. We’ve conceded 2 really soft goals, today’s and the Mannone howler. Besides that, defensively we have barely been tested and that alone is a sign of improvement. Small steps.

Not to mention just not seeing the back 4 aimlessly pass it around each other before passing it back to Mannone to pass it out for a throw in is also marked improvement.

Put it this way - today was probably a bad day to make it your first game of the season.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 18 Aug 2018 23:28

Zip Just to add that we have been level at half time in our three League games this season and gone on to lose each of them. The players seem fit enough this season so is it simply we are not good enough or a lack of self belief?

I’m not sure from the sample size you could come to that conclusion when you look at the games on context. None of the goals came from sustained pressure from the opposition and us sitting back and pressured into making mistakes out of a lack of self belief.

Small moments with big consequences. Where we aren’t good enough is up front because those moments can happen, you need your attackers to do the business and they just aren’t. I don’t want to write anyone off but I maintain that I struggle to see where the goals are going to come from.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 18 Aug 2018 23:31

Kelly can't drive us forward with the ball because his legs are so short he just can't get away from anyone.

Swift's going to have to play better for me to prefer him though. He was out of position, but for every trick he does better than Kelly, Kelly puts in a challenge Swift wouldn't get close to.

To be honest, I don't have any solutions for midfield. None of the four midfielders who played today did anything to secure a place. I think Kelly did more than the others. It's a low bar though. Swift looked more dangerous but just didn't deliver in my opinion. I think he's a luxury.

I think Kelly would benefit from a couple of weeks playing competitive games with the Academy lads, getting his enthusiasm and creativity back against lesser opposition. And the rest of the team showing some movement.

I'd like to drop Mannone, McShane, Meyler, Kelly, Swift and Baldock, but I can only think of Walker, Ilori and Bodvarsson I'd rather play. And I don't think you can play Meite and Bodvarsson because I don't think Meite should play RW. God we're a mess. Hoping Meyler and the rest of the team just had an off day, as they were much better against Forest.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 18 Aug 2018 23:35

Snowflake Royal I'd like to drop Mannone, McShane, Meyler, Kelly, Swift and Baldock, but I can only think of Walker, Ilori and Bodvarsson I'd rather play. And I don't think you can play Meite and Bodvarsson because I don't think Meite should play RW. God we're a mess. Hoping Meyler and the rest of the team just had an off day, as they were much better against Forest.

What has Mannone done? Think he deserves a bit more patience tbh. If he drops another clanger like the 1st Derby goal then fair enough but not now.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 18 Aug 2018 23:35

CountryRoyal
Zip Just to add that we have been level at half time in our three League games this season and gone on to lose each of them. The players seem fit enough this season so is it simply we are not good enough or a lack of self belief?

I’m not sure from the sample size you could come to that conclusion when you look at the games on context. None of the goals came from sustained pressure from the opposition and us sitting back and pressured into making mistakes out of a lack of self belief.

Small moments with big consequences. Where we aren’t good enough is up front because those moments can happen, you need your attackers to do the business and they just aren’t. I don’t want to write anyone off but I maintain that I struggle to see where the goals are going to come from.

Yep. This is my biggest concern. One goal in three games is a poor return. We have not been outplayed in any of these matches yet we have no points.
Having said that we have to stop giving away such soft goals. When was the last time we scored a soft goal? It’s been a good while. We need to start having some clean sheets so that we will at least be picking up some points.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 18 Aug 2018 23:37

Old Man Andrews
Snowflake Royal I'd like to drop Mannone, McShane, Meyler, Kelly, Swift and Baldock, but I can only think of Walker, Ilori and Bodvarsson I'd rather play. And I don't think you can play Meite and Bodvarsson because I don't think Meite should play RW. God we're a mess. Hoping Meyler and the rest of the team just had an off day, as they were much better against Forest.

What has Mannone done? Think he deserves a bit more patience tbh. If he drops another clanger like the 1st Derby goal then fair enough but not now.

Absolutely mediocre the entire time he's been here. Just not impressed.

Just seen the goal. Swift beaten easily in the air, Moore charges out halfcocked and too late and McShane caught flatfooted and napping. Pathetic.

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 18 Aug 2018 23:40

Last 25 games at fortress Madejski, W5 D8 L12. something needs to change before fans desert us in their droves. personally pissed off with having my Saturday night ruined, and the cat has left home.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 18 Aug 2018 23:40

Snowflake Royal Kelly can't drive us forward with the ball because his legs are so short he just can't get away from anyone.

Swift's going to have to play better for me to prefer him though. He was out of position, but for every trick he does better than Kelly, Kelly puts in a challenge Swift wouldn't get close to.

To be honest, I don't have any solutions for midfield. None of the four midfielders who played today did anything to secure a place. I think Kelly did more than the others. It's a low bar though. Swift looked more dangerous but just didn't deliver in my opinion. I think he's a luxury.

I think Kelly would benefit from a couple of weeks playing competitive games with the Academy lads, getting his enthusiasm and creativity back against lesser opposition. And the rest of the team showing some movement.

I'd like to drop Mannone, McShane, Meyler, Kelly, Swift and Baldock, but I can only think of Walker, Ilori and Bodvarsson I'd rather play. And I don't think you can play Meite and Bodvarsson because I don't think Meite should play RW. God we're a mess. Hoping Meyler and the rest of the team just had an off day, as they were much better against Forest.

A bit harsh on Baldock. He needs time to adapt to his team- mates. We really lack options in central midfield. I would drop Kelly and give Swift a few more chances because he does have the ability. Ilori has to come in. Perhaps Bacuna for Meyler but then again Bacuna is very inconsistent.
Mannone is borderline but I do think Walker in goal might just give the defence a bit of a boost. I would play Bodvarsson alongside Baldock.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 18 Aug 2018 23:43

windermereROYAL Last 25 games at fortress Madejski, W5 D8 L12. something needs to change before fans desert us in their droves. personally pissed off with having my Saturday night ruined, and the cat has left home.

They are deserting already with only 13,300 today. It was very quiet outside the ground pre kick off. Sad to see. It’s the start of the season and even the more optimistic supporters on here are concerned.

219 posts