Ex Players

3107 posts
Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Ex Players

by Snowflake Royal » 29 Jan 2021 19:54

Hound Think we just had too many players - always going to be some unhappy ones causing issues. Likes of Moore I can imagine Kicking off a fair bit if people were complaining or not putting the effort in and probably snowballed

See Obita has moved to Wycombe on a tangent

Should do well there I think. Just msging a pal who is a Wycombe follower and asked about him.

muirinho
Hob Nob Regular

by muirinho » 29 Jan 2021 19:57

Snowflake Royal
muirinho
I wonder which players he regarded as causing problems that weren't being addressed.

Interesting. Meyler was decent in that game against Derby iirc but after that was one of the worst midfielders I've seen. Just so slow and ponderous. No wonder he didn't get picked to play for Ireland playing like that. Seems like he couldn't accept his own poor performances.

Gomes ostracised Aluko, Baldock, Gunter, McCleary and Mannone, whilst Bacuna was sold not long after iirc.

Hard to think Gunter, McCleary, Baldock or Mannone had bad attitudes, but quite easy to believe of Aluko and Bacuna for example

There isn't of course any guarantee that the players Gomes ostracised were the same players that Meyler thought were giving Clement grief. That list is a list of high earners - the owners really liked Liam Moore, but maybe didn't care about the others, and told Gomes to get rid. Or they told Gomes to pick a number of players whose wages totted up to xyz, and those were the ones Gomes picked.

As opposed to - they were known ringleaders and insurrectionists... I'm not Aluko's biggest fan, but don't see him as a troublemaker - Bacuna is the only possible for me.

Actually I think myself Meyler could have been one of them to be perfectly honest - he was clearly very frustrated about everything - I guess deep down he could see his skills fading, and found it hard to accept.

Anyway, it looks like he will be writing regularly for thejournal.ie - I'll keep ye posted if there are any other interesting snippets

3points
Hob Nob Regular

by 3points » 29 Jan 2021 20:17

We’re McShane and Joey VDB still kicking around that summer? If so wouldn’t surprise me if they were part of the problem. Joey said as much in one of his interviews

skipper
Hob Nob Regular

by skipper » 30 Jan 2021 00:41

Chameleon

by Chameleon » 30 Jan 2021 02:00

Yeah people have said an awful lot about Aluko, but never once have I seen anything about him being a troublemaker, he's always been very professional in interviews, and even accepted his year in exile without moaning.

For trouble-makers I'd be looking towards Stam era signings.

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 30 Jan 2021 06:24

Chameleon Yeah people have said an awful lot about Aluko, but never once have I seen anything about him being a troublemaker, he's always been very professional in interviews, and even accepted his year in exile without moaning.

Aluko was a Stam-era signing :wink:

Not particularly interesting in raking up old dirt myself but agree that Aluko seems like the sort to keep his head down and withdraw more than anything.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 30 Jan 2021 20:28

Evans possibly on the way to Millwall, offer accepted for him

Must admit, not sure that’s a particularly good match given how Millwall traditionally play and how Evans traditionally played for us

ayjaydee
Hob Nob Regular

by ayjaydee » 30 Jan 2021 21:27

Aaron Tshibola scored for Killie today.

Now there was a player I really thought had a bright future.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 30 Jan 2021 22:46

Chameleon Yeah people have said an awful lot about Aluko, but never once have I seen anything about him being a troublemaker, he's always been very professional in interviews, and even accepted his year in exile without moaning.

Like Aluko?

Royals and Racers
Hob Nob Regular

by Royals and Racers » 01 Feb 2021 13:26

Danny Guthrie has left Walsall by mutual consent.

3points
Hob Nob Regular

by 3points » 01 Feb 2021 19:16

George Evans - Derby to Millwall, undisclosed fee; long term deal

Forgot he even existed!

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 01 Feb 2021 21:35

Teddy Howe leaving Blackpool as can’t get a game and joining Scunthorpe. Same Teddy Howe where fans screaming for him to be Gunters replacement. The same fans who believe letting Antonio go was me of the better pieces of transfer business this club has ever done.

loyalroyal4life
Hob Nob Addict

by loyalroyal4life » 01 Feb 2021 21:57

Shane long going Bournemouth

Would have liked him back alongside Joao

Notts Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Notts Royal » 01 Feb 2021 22:31

skipper Obita has joined Wycombe

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/55860910

Seems an odd one on the surface.

Made 15 apps since October which sounds reasonable; not sure how many were from the bench though.

He’s left a team that are starting to mount a playoff push, for a club that are heading back down to the same division.
Obviously wasn’t happy

Orion1871
Hob Nob Regular

by Orion1871 » 01 Feb 2021 23:17

paultheroyal Teddy Howe leaving Blackpool as can’t get a game and joining Scunthorpe. Same Teddy Howe where fans screaming for him to be Gunters replacement. The same fans who believe letting Antonio go was me of the better pieces of transfer business this club has ever done.

Antonio was shit here Paul and he's not going to shag you.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 02 Feb 2021 06:51

paultheroyal Teddy Howe leaving Blackpool as can’t get a game and joining Scunthorpe. Same Teddy Howe where fans screaming for him to be Gunters replacement. The same fans who believe letting Antonio go was me of the better pieces of transfer business this club has ever done.

Antonio justifiably being 5th choice at the time is a real blind spot for you, isnt it, Paul.

Not entirely sure anyone was screaming for Howe to replace Gunter either, more that he looked a more long term and cost effective choice as back up given our financial perils. Tom Holmes certainly wasn't in that discussion, but football's a funny old game.

Long's on £50,000 a week at Southampton. Wonder how much of his wages Bournemouth are paying. Could be a good foil for Solanke certainly harder working than King. I am utterly bemused by Everton signing him btw.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 02 Feb 2021 07:53

You realise Antonio left 9 years ago ?
Time to move on perhaps , he’s not coming back.....

URZZZZZZZZ
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Long knocks it back in.............IT'S READING WHO TAKE A MASSIVE STEP TOWARDS WEMBLEY!!

by URZZZZZZZZ » 02 Feb 2021 08:00

Notts Royal

Made 15 apps since October which sounds reasonable; not sure how many were from the bench though.

He’s left a team that are starting to mount a playoff push, for a club that are heading back down to the same division.
Obviously wasn’t happy

From what I heard he went to Oxford on short term deal until end of this season to get some game time, with a clause in his contract saying he can speak to Championship clubs if they approach. Wycombe came in with a two and a half year deal on more money and still local, so it was a no brainier for him to go. From Oxford’s point of view they have generated a fee for a player who has only been there a few months and also got a high earner off the books. Wycombe have got a player to strengthen their squad.

Everyone wins.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 02 Feb 2021 09:05

ANTONIO. WOULD. NOT. BE. THE. SAME. PLAYER. HE. IS. TODAY. IF. HE. DIDN'T. LEAVE. READING. WHEN. HE. DID.

I am not sure how many more times this needs to be said. His development would've been totally different had he stayed, as a couple of posters said above, he was 5th choice and wasn't getting anywhere near the first team on the regs to make any impact/improvements in his game.

skipper
Hob Nob Regular

by skipper » 02 Feb 2021 09:10

URZZZZZZZZ
Notts Royal

He’s left a team that is starting to mount a playoff push, for a club that is heading back down to the same division.
Obviously wasn’t happy

From what I heard he went to Oxford on short term deal until the end of this season to get some game time, with a clause in his contract saying he can speak to Championship clubs if they approach. Wycombe came in with a two and a half year deal on more money and still local, so it was a no brainer for him to go. From Oxford’s point of view, they have generated a fee for a player who has only been there a few months and also got a high earner off the books. Wycombe have got a player to strengthen their squad.

Everyone wins.

Correct.

Hendo ANTONIO. WOULD. NOT. BE. THE. SAME. PLAYER. HE. IS. TODAY. IF. HE. DIDN'T. LEAVE. READING. WHEN. HE. DID.

Also correct.

/conversationaboutantonio

3107 posts