Ex Players

3107 posts
muirinho
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Ex Players

by muirinho » 24 Oct 2021 18:12

Zammo
Racing Media FORMER IRELAND SQUAD player Jay Tabb will experience another kind of sporting thrill when he takes to the saddle for the Fitzdares Racing Welfare Charity Flat Race at Wincanton on Sunday.

The 37-year-old enjoyed a 16-year career as a midfielder, working his way through Crystal Palace’s youth academy before undertaking spells at Brentford, Coventry, Reading and Ipswich alongside gaining ten caps for Ireland’s under-21 side. He also made the senior squad a number of times under Steve Staunton without getting capped.

Upon retirement Tabb, who was introduced to racing and racehorse ownership by a teammate, learned to ride at the Northern Racing College in Doncaster (now the National Horseracing College) and began working for leading National Hunt trainer Philip Hobbs in 2019.

“I got into racing through one of my old teammates who used to, whenever we travelled away for matches, watch racing on TV so I used to watch it with him,” he said.

“Then we got involved in a couple of syndicates and we managed to get our own colours and own our own horse.

“Whenever we’d go to the yards to watch them train on the gallops I always thought ‘it’d be amazing to try that’.

“When the football finished I thought I’d give it a go and go up to the Northern Racing College but before that I’d never had any experience riding horses.”

Though both sports require a high level of fitness and discipline, Tabb quickly became aware of how football and riding place different physical demands on the body.

“In all sports you can be fit in that discipline but when you go to another sport you find it to be totally different, that’s what I found with riding horses,” he said.

“The jockeys on TV make it look easy but it definitely isn’t when you’re on a horse, at first it was hard getting used to being in that position for a while.

“At the moment the fitness side of it seems to be going well, I’ve been doing a lot of work on the equicizer and I’d like to think I’m as ready as I can be.”

Hobbs has two horses earmarked for Tabb to ride in the race, with veteran chaser Rolling Dylan a possible mount alongside seven-year-old gelding Umndeni.

“I think it’s between Rolling Dylan and Umndeni, they’ve both got entries as well this weekend and next week so I think whichever one doesn’t take up his entry I will probably ride at Wincanton,” Tabb said.

“I’ve been sitting on them this week and getting to know them, they’re both really nice horses and nice rides so whichever one I’m on I’m sure I’ll enjoy it.

“I’m really good friends with all of the jockeys down there so as soon as I know exactly what I’m riding for definite I’ll see who’s been riding him and have a chat with them on the phone and see what the best way to go about it is.”

Tabb intends to ride out in his racing saddle and breeches in preparation for a competitive run in the race, but his priority is to enjoy the experience and contribute as much as possible to Racing Welfare.

“First and foremost I just want to make sure we get down to the start and jump off and then anything from then is a bonus,” he said.

“Both of the horses I’m possibly riding are good horses and have had good careers so I’d like to think I have a chance of having a nice race, but I think the most important thing is raising money for the charity and enjoying the day and enjoying the experience.

“All the riders are raising money for the same charity and it’s a great charity, hopefully we can raise as much as possible.”

Tabb is not the first sportsperson to take up riding after a successful career in another discipline, with Wincanton also the scene of one of Olympic cyclist Victoria Pendleton’s early rides before her fifth-placed finish aboard Pacha Du Polder in the Foxhunter Chase at the Cheltenham Festival.

Daniel Cooper, Wincanton’s clerk of the course, said: “We are excited to have yet another sporting professional take on the popular Somerset racetrack on Sunday, having seen Victoria Pendleton riding here previously, plus not forgetting our close association with cricket pros Jamie and Craig Overton as ambassadors for the course.

“We understand that preparations are going well for Jay, but the pressure is now on during these final few days to stay fit, healthy and watch his diet!

“Most importantly, the money already being raised for the Racing Welfare charity is exceeding expectations and donations, and together with a large auction on the day could well result in a record-breaking amount of money raised on a single raceday here at Wincanton.”

Finished 6th.
https://www.the42.ie/former-ireland-u21 ... =shortlink

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 24 Oct 2021 18:24

Bit of a geezer our Jay

Also played rugby for Wimbledon a couple years back.

Always loved his effort...especially getting sent-off at Wembley before even getting on the pitch....anybody know the back story to that?

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 25 Oct 2021 10:15

Reading's greatest ever transfer mistake scores the winner, propelling West Ham to 4th in the table and being labelled as unplayable. He keeps getting better.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 25 Oct 2021 11:32

Err, Sone Aluko plays for Ipswich, not West Ham.

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 25 Oct 2021 11:55

AthleticoSpizz Bit of a geezer our Jay

Always loved his effort...especially getting sent-off at Wembley before even getting on the pitch....anybody know the back story to that?

Wasn’t he also the longest hitter on the golf course ? Despite his size

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 25 Oct 2021 12:03

paultheroyal Reading's greatest ever transfer mistake scores the winner, propelling West Ham to 4th in the table and being labelled as unplayable. He keeps getting better.

Interestingly, Jem Karacan didn’t seem to think a lot of Antonio whilst he was here. Makes a bit of a mockery of your view of the decision to let him go if his team mates didn’t rate him.

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 25 Oct 2021 13:06

Snowflake Royal
paultheroyal Reading's greatest ever transfer mistake scores the winner, propelling West Ham to 4th in the table and being labelled as unplayable. He keeps getting better.

Interestingly, Jem Karacan didn’t seem to think a lot of Antonio whilst he was here. Makes a bit of a mockery of your view of the decision to let him go if his team mates didn’t rate him.

Er, not really, because clearly i am right :lol: :lol:

download

by download » 25 Oct 2021 13:40

Abusive language to the referee as they went off the pitch at half time. Referee I seem to recall said that while swearing in the heat of the moment happens and is largely overlooked, this happened by someone not directly involved and some time afterwards.

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 25 Oct 2021 13:52

Torrid amount of abuse to Mr Dowd i think it was in the tunnel at half time. Full of expletives, based on the stonewall penalty given against us.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 25 Oct 2021 13:58

Thanx both, fully justified by the sounds of it.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 25 Oct 2021 16:23

paultheroyal
Snowflake Royal

I've always been really impressed with your humility Paul, it must have really stood you in good stead winning the players over when you officiated. :lol: :wink:

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 25 Oct 2021 17:07

Snowflake Royal
paultheroyal
Snowflake Royal Interestingly, Jem Karacan didn’t seem to think a lot of Antonio whilst he was here. Makes a bit of a mockery of your view of the decision to let him go if his team mates didn’t rate him.

I've always been really impressed with your humility Paul, it must have really stood you in good stead winning the players over when you officiated. :lol: :wink:

Got me to the Premier League, so yeah, id take that, cheers.

bcubed
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by bcubed » 25 Oct 2021 23:43

paultheroyal
Snowflake Royal
paultheroyal

Seriously?!
Fair play

I just assumed you were a Sunday morning ref :)

Simmops
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Simmops » 26 Oct 2021 06:30

oxf*rd hell Paul Durkin :shock:

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 26 Oct 2021 09:18

bcubed
paultheroyal
Snowflake Royal I've always been really impressed with your humility Paul, it must have really stood you in good stead winning the players over when you officiated. :lol: :wink:

Seriously?!
Fair play

I started there, like everyone else who takes up refereeing but the way grassroots is dying at the mo, quality will be a lot worse in years to come.

Simmops
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Simmops » 26 Oct 2021 09:22

paultheroyal
bcubed
paultheroyal

Seriously?!
Fair play

I started there, like everyone else who takes up refereeing but the way grassroots is dying at the mo, quality will be a lot worse in years to come.

are you Paul Durkin?

I play step 11 but on loan at the moment to a lower league team and have not had a ref the last 2 games because they just have not had enough

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 26 Oct 2021 09:39

paultheroyal
Snowflake Royal

Do Specsavers do any new tests ?
Hindsight, for example

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 26 Oct 2021 10:32

paultheroyal
Snowflake Royal
paultheroyal

Oof, thats one way to win an argument.

Simmops
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Simmops » 26 Oct 2021 10:34

Franchise FC
paultheroyal
Snowflake Royal Interestingly, Jem Karacan didn’t seem to think a lot of Antonio whilst he was here. Makes a bit of a mockery of your view of the decision to let him go if his team mates didn’t rate him.

Do Specsavers do any new tests ?
Hindsight, for example

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 30 Oct 2021 19:16

Simon Rusk and Mark McGhee were relieved of their duties at Stockport last week

3107 posts