Ex Players

3107 posts
South Coast Royal
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Ex Players

by South Coast Royal » 16 Jan 2021 18:28

SCIAG
Snowflake Royal
SCIAG Gunter was a top-end Championship right back for most of his career, a very reliable performer who never let us down and made over 400 appearances at this level.

For Wales, he had competition from Adam Matthews (100 games for Celtic), Neal Eardley (who won promotion from this level with Blackpool) and Neil Taylor (likewise but with both Swansea and Aston Villa; predominantly a left-back, but has to compete with Ben Davies for that spot). There have been no shortage of alternatives for Welsh managers over the years. Sure they haven’t had a truly world-class right back but they’ve nearly always had two right backs playing at this level or higher and Gunter has usually got the nod.

If by never let us down you mean turned up, yeah sure. Frequently let us down by

a) not being very good at defending
b) not being very good at attacking

Very committed, great athlete, mediocre footballer.

He was good at both. HTH.

Lol :D :D

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 16 Jan 2021 19:30

No goals conceded today, looks like Guntz played in central defence too :shock:

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 16 Jan 2021 19:33

AthleticoSpizz No goals conceded today, looks like Guntz played in central defence too :shock:

Almost scored too!

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 16 Jan 2021 19:34

:D maybe that’ll shut em up for a week

Orion1871
Hob Nob Regular

by Orion1871 » 16 Jan 2021 21:17

Pepe the Horseman
NewCorkSeth
South Coast Royal
Well, well, well what a surprise.
Next stop Newport or Wrexham?

Just incredible that the valid criticism that many of us leveled at Gunter for years, yet was dismissed by many, has been noticed within half a season by another fan base.

Or it just shows that homophobia is as rife amongst the Charlton fanbase as it is on here.

I know it's not been as good for the last 20 years or so but do people really hate The Simpsons?

muirinho
Hob Nob Regular

by muirinho » 17 Jan 2021 15:12

Karl Sheppard, who was briefly at Reading, but never settled, has now retired from football at the age of 29. He was diagnosed with psoriatic arthritis two years ago, and has struggled since then.

https://www.the42.ie/karl-sheppard-5327 ... =shortlink

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 17 Jan 2021 17:30

Oof, that’s rough. Best of luck to him in the future.

karbota
Hob Nob Regular

by karbota » 17 Jan 2021 19:14

Should still be here in the Hoops, great player.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 18 Jan 2021 01:11

royalp-we Stephen Quinn joins Mansfield from Burton. I thought he’d retired.

Rejoined Clough who also signed him at Burton. Made 111 appearances for Burton over three years so glad to see him recover from all those injuries he kept sustaining here

Was a quality player off the injury table, real potential as a midfield trio with Tish and Norwood

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 18 Jan 2021 13:04

URZZZZ

Rejoined Clough who also signed him at Burton. Made 111 appearances for Burton over three years so glad to see him recover from all those injuries he kept sustaining here

Was a quality player off the injury table, real potential as a midfield trio with Tish and Norwood

Is it really 3 years since SQ left, how time flies when you’re having fun

Next quiz : Who did Reading sell to? I managed 15/16

https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/snack ... h/results/

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 18 Jan 2021 13:06

Sutekh
URZZZZ

13 for me.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 18 Jan 2021 14:29

Hendo
Sutekh
URZZZZ

13 for me.

16/16 although a couple (Halford being one) was a process of elimination, highly doubt I'd have got it without the multiple choice

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 19 Jan 2021 12:34

After the Rasiak and Mariappa debacles I don't trust them to be right

morganb
Hob Nob Regular

by morganb » 21 Jan 2021 13:54

Courtney Friday says:

Former #readingfc starlet Gabe Osho is set to sign for #rochdale on loan.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 27 Jan 2021 13:56

Zak Jules, remember him?, now at Walsall after leaving Reading for the Shrews 3 years ago is apparently attracting strong interest from Cardiff and Birmingham after a string of impressive performances.

Brain Traysers

by Brain Traysers » 29 Jan 2021 01:24

Nice to see Jem getting some mins at League 2 Scunny, some real glowing references and nice to see him throwing himself around in the middle of the pitch - https://twitter.com/WillWattoom/status/1354173369999101953. 300 Mins over 4 games with an average rating of 7.11 on WhoScored. Fully fit he is far too good for that level

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 29 Jan 2021 13:45

Brain Traysers Nice to see Jem getting some mins at League 2 Scunny, some real glowing references and nice to see him throwing himself around in the middle of the pitch - https://twitter.com/WillWattoom/status/1354173369999101953. 300 Mins over 4 games with an average rating of 7.11 on WhoScored. Fully fit he is far too good for that level

Cripes! Jem is going to be 32 next month!

muirinho
Hob Nob Regular

by muirinho » 29 Jan 2021 17:41

David Meyler talks about his time at Reading here.

https://www.the42.ie/david-meyler-willi ... =shortlink

In the opening league game of the season, we played Derby County at home. I was picked to make my debut while, over in the away team’s dug out, the recently-appointed Frank Lampard was managing in a competitive match for the very first time.

I remember Jon Dadi Bodvarsson scored a header early in the second half and we were comfortable enough. Mason Mount then equalised and a few fellas had a go over the goal, as I could have got tighter to him before he took the strike.

Leandro Bacuna came on for me with five minutes remaining, and we ended up conceding in the 94th minute to lose 2-1. Derby were impressive that day — they had a lot of young lads and were well organised.

I continued to play but when you’re not winning you start to question things and the manager began to chop and change his team. Unfortunately, I was one of the players to miss out.

There was an international break coming up in September and Paul said he didn’t want me to go away with Ireland. He was looking for me to get familiar with my team-mates and do some work on the training pitch to learn what way he wanted us to play, which was completely understandable.

However, he was talking to the wrong person. I was regularly picked in Martin O’Neill’s squads and was always going to make myself available as playing for your country is the greatest honour you can have. I made that clear to him and he wasn’t happy about it.

A year on from captaining Ireland in the win in Cardiff, we faced Wales again but this time I wasn’t selected to play. I was desperate to be involved, so I was annoyed when I didn’t get on and we lost 4-1. I ended up having a run-in with Martin in training the following day and, to make matters worse, I picked up a slight hamstring problem during the session.

When you go away on international duty, the manager always says ‘Good luck in your game, but don’t come back injured’. As it turned out, I didn’t play for Reading again after that international break. I still trained with the first team after recovering but I felt like I was beating my head off a wall at times as I wasn’t getting an opportunity.

Results weren’t going our way, there were a few players creating problems and they weren’t being addressed properly. In December, Paul was sacked and replaced by Jose Gomes. A month later, I went out on loan to Coventry City — the last club I would line out for before retiring
To be fair to Paul, he is an exceptional coach. His training sessions were fantastic and there was variety everyday. He kept players on their toes.
Having progressed through the youth teams at Chelsea, he became Carlo Ancelotti’s assistant and would go on to have great success under the Italian — also working with him at Paris Saint-Germain, Real Madrid and Bayern Munich.

You could see why he was Ancelotti’s number two as everything he did during his sessions was phenomenal. However, as a number two, you don’t have to show your man-management skills and deal with 20-odd egos in a dressing room.

I think that’s what let Paul down. His ideas were fantastic and he is one of the best coaches I worked under but when push comes to shove, you have to make the hard calls.

Presumably Meyler doesn't regard Clement dumping him out of the team as a "hard call"!
I wonder which players he regarded as causing problems that weren't being addressed.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 29 Jan 2021 19:04

muirinho David Meyler talks about his time at Reading here.

https://www.the42.ie/david-meyler-willi ... =shortlink

In the opening league game of the season, we played Derby County at home. I was picked to make my debut while, over in the away team’s dug out, the recently-appointed Frank Lampard was managing in a competitive match for the very first time.

I remember Jon Dadi Bodvarsson scored a header early in the second half and we were comfortable enough. Mason Mount then equalised and a few fellas had a go over the goal, as I could have got tighter to him before he took the strike.

Leandro Bacuna came on for me with five minutes remaining, and we ended up conceding in the 94th minute to lose 2-1. Derby were impressive that day — they had a lot of young lads and were well organised.

I continued to play but when you’re not winning you start to question things and the manager began to chop and change his team. Unfortunately, I was one of the players to miss out.

There was an international break coming up in September and Paul said he didn’t want me to go away with Ireland. He was looking for me to get familiar with my team-mates and do some work on the training pitch to learn what way he wanted us to play, which was completely understandable.

However, he was talking to the wrong person. I was regularly picked in Martin O’Neill’s squads and was always going to make myself available as playing for your country is the greatest honour you can have. I made that clear to him and he wasn’t happy about it.

A year on from captaining Ireland in the win in Cardiff, we faced Wales again but this time I wasn’t selected to play. I was desperate to be involved, so I was annoyed when I didn’t get on and we lost 4-1. I ended up having a run-in with Martin in training the following day and, to make matters worse, I picked up a slight hamstring problem during the session.

When you go away on international duty, the manager always says ‘Good luck in your game, but don’t come back injured’. As it turned out, I didn’t play for Reading again after that international break. I still trained with the first team after recovering but I felt like I was beating my head off a wall at times as I wasn’t getting an opportunity.

Results weren’t going our way, there were a few players creating problems and they weren’t being addressed properly. In December, Paul was sacked and replaced by Jose Gomes. A month later, I went out on loan to Coventry City — the last club I would line out for before retiring
To be fair to Paul, he is an exceptional coach. His training sessions were fantastic and there was variety everyday. He kept players on their toes.
Having progressed through the youth teams at Chelsea, he became Carlo Ancelotti’s assistant and would go on to have great success under the Italian — also working with him at Paris Saint-Germain, Real Madrid and Bayern Munich.

You could see why he was Ancelotti’s number two as everything he did during his sessions was phenomenal. However, as a number two, you don’t have to show your man-management skills and deal with 20-odd egos in a dressing room.

I think that’s what let Paul down. His ideas were fantastic and he is one of the best coaches I worked under but when push comes to shove, you have to make the hard calls.

Presumably Meyler doesn't regard Clement dumping him out of the team as a "hard call"!
I wonder which players he regarded as causing problems that weren't being addressed.

Interesting. Meyler was decent in that game against Derby iirc but after that was one of the worst midfielders I've seen. Just so slow and ponderous. No wonder he didn't get picked to play for Ireland playing like that. Seems like he couldn't accept his own poor performances.

Gomes ostracised Aluko, Baldock, Gunter, McCleary and Mannone, whilst Bacuna was sold not long after iirc.

Hard to think Gunter, McCleary, Baldock or Mannone had bad attitudes, but quite easy to believe of Aluko and Bacuna for example

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 29 Jan 2021 19:44

Think we just had too many players - always going to be some unhappy ones causing issues. Likes of Moore I can imagine Kicking off a fair bit if people were complaining or not putting the effort in and probably snowballed

See Obita has moved to Wycombe on a tangent

3107 posts