Ex Players

3107 posts
bcubed
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: Ex Players

by bcubed » 27 Mar 2021 11:34

Snowball
Orion1871 Gunter the legend to get his 100th Wales cap against Mexico, he will also Captain the side.

Pleased for him.

+1

Brogue
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Brogue » 27 Mar 2021 12:03

Yep fair play. Treated like shit by some here. Unwarranted.

skipper
Hob Nob Regular

by skipper » 27 Mar 2021 12:15

bcubed
Snowball
Orion1871 Gunter the legend to get his 100th Wales cap against Mexico, he will also Captain the side.

Pleased for him.

+1

And he's the first outfield player to teach that mark?

Impressive!

Many congrats to him.

Orion1871
Hob Nob Regular

by Orion1871 » 27 Mar 2021 22:14

Mr Smooth Gomes not happy as Almeria draw in La Liga Smartbank.
https://mobile.twitter.com/Mallorcalex100/status/1375906983841308674

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 28 Mar 2021 09:57

Orion1871 Mr Smooth Gomes not happy as Almeria draw in La Liga Smartbank.

:lol:

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 28 Mar 2021 14:38

WestYorksRoyal
Mid Sussex Royal
URZZZZ Article of Bowen criticising aspects of Puscas’ signing

https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/mark- ... ge-puscas/

I don’t think his overall assessment of him is particularly wrong

https://mobile.twitter.com/secondtierpo ... 8637010947

All part of a larger podcast (40 minutes long) for anyone interested, covers his appointment here and his departure amongst other things

Said not enough diligence was done on Puscas before signing him, well he was director of football at the time....

He also claims he laid the foundations for this season's success, from what I remember the football under him (with largely the same players) was awful, particularly after the covid break, and anyway who exactly was signed on his watch? I wouldn't even give him credit for Laurent as he'd been on our watch list for ages.

I get that Puscas has not been an unqualified success, but I wouldn’t call him a failure in the way the interview suggests he is.

Yeah, not even remotely. Puscas hasn't played too much because he did poorly, but because Joao was immense. Plus some injury issues.

He may have made 16 appearances, but only 6 of them were as a starter, and he's only actually played the equivalent of six and a half 90 minutes, so his scoring rate really isn't anywhere near as bad as 3 in 16 suggests, in fact it's actually pretty good.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 29 Mar 2021 07:39

WestYorksRoyal
Mid Sussex Royal
URZZZZ Article of Bowen criticising aspects of Puscas’ signing

https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/mark- ... ge-puscas/

I don’t think his overall assessment of him is particularly wrong

https://mobile.twitter.com/secondtierpo ... 8637010947

All part of a larger podcast (40 minutes long) for anyone interested, covers his appointment here and his departure amongst other things

Said not enough diligence was done on Puscas before signing him, well he was director of football at the time....

He also claims he laid the foundations for this season's success, from what I remember the football under him (with largely the same players) was awful, particularly after the covid break, and anyway who exactly was signed on his watch? I wouldn't even give him credit for Laurent as he'd been on our watch list for ages.

I get that Puscas has not been an unqualified success, but I wouldn’t call him a failure in the way the interview suggests he is.

They criticise his production this season yet fail to point out he's been out injured for 5 months.

We were first linked with Puscas about 2 years before we signed him. Young inexperienced striker in "not the finished article" shock.

I like Bowen but he's come across as very bitter in every interview he's done since he left. Can't be easy seeing your successor come in and achieve more with largely the same squad of players and fcuk all time to prep for the season.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 29 Mar 2021 08:19

Orion1871 Mr Smooth Gomes not happy as Almeria draw in La Liga Smartbank.

A rough translation

“In Portugal, we say that if you do not feel, you are not the son of good people. And I am the son of good people. I am very angry with what they are doing to my team, to my club! We deserve respect!”.

“We have to respect these people who work hard, who work every day to be serious in matches! one thing or another. Video arbitration is a spectacular tool if it is used well, if there is not one hundred percent certainty of what has happened, it cannot intervene”.

E“The referee had whistled what he had to whistle because it is a foul on Maras, to seek contact with Maras. How can it end up being a penalty against us? What do we want from our football? What do we want to do to our football?”. They have harmed us with something that has not existed and I have to say it. With all due respect. But it was a fault in our favor”

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 29 Mar 2021 09:28

From Despair To Where?
WestYorksRoyal
Mid Sussex Royal

They criticise his production this season yet fail to point out he's been out injured for 5 months.

We were first linked with Puscas about 2 years before we signed him. Young inexperienced striker in "not the finished article" shock.

I like Bowen but he's come across as very bitter in every interview he's done since he left. Can't be easy seeing your successor come in and achieve more with largely the same squad of players and fcuk all time to prep for the season.

Certainly can't be easy having done a good job but getting pelters whilst the new guy gets all the plaudits off the back of lots of your work, having your boss not even have the decency to fire you before they appointed him.

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 29 Mar 2021 12:09

Snowflake Royal
From Despair To Where?
WestYorksRoyal I get that Puscas has not been an unqualified success, but I wouldn’t call him a failure in the way the interview suggests he is.

Certainly can't be easy having done a good job but getting pelters whilst the new guy gets all the plaudits off the back of lots of your work, having your boss not even have the decency to fire you before they appointed him.

We completely collapsed post-lockdown, suffice to say that he might have kept his job if he'd maintained some level of form post-lockdown.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 29 Mar 2021 12:11

Absolutely cretinous to judge a manager under those exceptional conditions when we had nothing to play for and we got done by injuries once again.

And of course losing his job has nothing to do with the contemptible way it was done.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 29 Mar 2021 12:37

Snowflake Royal
From Despair To Where?
WestYorksRoyal I get that Puscas has not been an unqualified success, but I wouldn’t call him a failure in the way the interview suggests he is.

Than why not just come out and say that instead of sniping like a jilted lover?

I was very much pro Bowen and was surprised when we brought in Paunovic but we don't know the whole story of what went on behind the scenes.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 29 Mar 2021 14:50

From Despair To Where?
WestYorksRoyal
Mid Sussex Royal

I don’t think he comes across as particularly bitter here, highly complimentary about several players and even Paunovic himself

Although you do question the validity of everything he says, given that in the interview he said Joao was only available for 4 out of 35 games when that wasn’t true - makes you wonder if he’s exaggerating anything else

Mid Sussex Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Mid Sussex Royal » 29 Mar 2021 17:38

URZZZZ
From Despair To Where?

I don’t think he comes across as particularly bitter here, highly complimentary about several players and even Paunovic himself

Although you do question the validity of everything he says, given that in the interview he said Joao was only available for 4 out of 35 games when that wasn’t true - makes you wonder if he’s exaggerating anything else

He's on a loser moaning about player availability last season; he got far more game time out of Swift and Meite and I can't recall us having constantly 6-9 players out for a considerable chunk of games either.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 29 Mar 2021 18:04

As far as I'm concerned Bowen did nothing wrong and was badly treated. From a relegation battle to mid table, and the way his departure was handled was a farce.

I actually don't think we'd have done as well had he stayed, so maybe we're vindicated, but I'd be bitter in his position, especially given the squad is largely unchanged from last season.

Uke
Hob Nob Legend

by Uke » 29 Mar 2021 18:20

WestYorksRoyal As far as I'm concerned Bowen did nothing wrong and was badly treated. From a relegation battle to mid table, and the way his departure was handled was a farce.

I actually don't think we'd have done as well had he stayed, so maybe we're vindicated, but I'd be bitter in his position, especially given the squad is largely unchanged from last season.

He was also offered DoF and turned it down, so he’s probably mad at himself for doing that too. Especially considering his current employment situation.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 29 Mar 2021 19:05

Uke
WestYorksRoyal As far as I'm concerned Bowen did nothing wrong and was badly treated. From a relegation battle to mid table, and the way his departure was handled was a farce.

He was also offered DoF and turned it down, so he’s probably mad at himself for doing that too. Especially considering his current employment situation.

I doubt it. At that point his position was basically untenable.

"We thought we were promoting him and he'd be up for it" Bullshit.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 31 Mar 2021 16:18

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/extra/hfe5e ... ible-Dream

Tenuous link given he only gets a fleeting mention in a long read, but this an excellent article and Eamonn Dolan gets a good mention. Stands apart in James Coppinger's eyes simply for his professionalism and demanding more from him.

muirinho
Hob Nob Regular

by muirinho » 31 Mar 2021 19:45

WestYorksRoyal https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/extra/hfe5e1289y/The-Impossible-Dream

Tenuous link given he only gets a fleeting mention in a long read, but this an excellent article and Eamonn Dolan gets a good mention. Stands apart in James Coppinger's eyes simply for his professionalism and demanding more from him.

Well worth the read, thanks for the link

Notts Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Notts Royal » 31 Mar 2021 22:31

I think the frustrating thing for me is there hasn’t seemed a clear plan when we’ve signed strikers.

Joao & Puscas signed within a day of each other...with no clear plan how to fit them in the team. Bowen clearly involved in the Joao transfer & rated him. But at the price & contract length, surely the club saw Puscas as their main man. No surprises here but that indicates the scatter gun approach of transfers is still an issue at the club. Kia players and manager signings.

It’s similar to when we signed Baldock & McNulty, albeit a higher quality. What was the plan there? We signed 2 small strikers and didn’t seem to have a plan of how to utilise them.

Personally I think the inability of signing many players this season has been a blessing, as it’s given the squad chance to gel. That will have helped Paunovic

3107 posts