BFTG - Aston Villa (A)

LUX
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: BFTG - Aston Villa (A)

by LUX » 26 Aug 2018 09:24

A. No. I am on the other side of the world. With Green.
B. It’s a results business. I guess you would rather we played brillliantly and lose. Me, no, I’m happy with the fighting, no doubt fortunate, point. We could easily have scored three, mind you.
C. I never like the slagging on here. Ditto booing the team. You carry on, it’s your right.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 26 Aug 2018 09:27

CR - I think what they are saying is, despite fluking the result, grabbing a last minute equaliser will hopefully change our fortunes going forward. It's always good for a squad low on morale.

bobby1413
Hob Nob Addict

by bobby1413 » 26 Aug 2018 09:30

tidus_mi2
LUX Great result, hope it turns a corner.

Dismayed, but not surprised, by the moaning on here.

Most expected us to be dominated by Villa and would take a point before the match, that very scenario happens and people moan.

I'm used to Reading fans by now.

I've not seen any moaning. I've seen a lot of posts with concerns about the team and the season. But they are very valid.

On that note... I didn't go but I am worried for our survival this year. It seems every game so far has been "hopefully we can kick on and pick up some points". It does feel like we are still in pre season mode and in about 3-4 games we may be ready to start. Yet every other team is 100% ready and raring to go.

One good thing about Gunter being injured is it may help highlight what he brings. Stability, calmness, experience, passion and leadership.

We lack any leaders on the pitch by the sounds of it. In fact I hardly even recognise half the players starting. Just seems to be a make shift 11 bundled together for the first time with a vague hope that it may work.

(Ok that was a bit moany :P )

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 26 Aug 2018 09:35

LUX A. No. I am on the other side of the world. With Green.
B. It’s a results business. I guess you would rather we played brillliantly and lose. Me, no, I’m happy with the fighting, no doubt fortunate, point. We could easily have scored three, mind you.
C. I never like the slagging on here. Ditto booing the team. You carry on, it’s your right.

A: i was being facetious I was fairly certain you didn’t go.
B: I know it’s a results business, and I more than most accept that. Under Stam in first season I was happy because we were winning even if the football was shit. I’d still say it how I saw it though. How could we have “easily scored three”? The double chance could only ever have culminated in 1 goal, but that goes without saying.
C: I’m sorry you got offended by someone “slagging off” a performance, on an Internet forum. Wow.

You’re not surprised by people “moaning”? The only thing I’m not surprised at is people who didn’t even go to the game, or didn’t even watch it, come on here and criticise someone’s view because we got a good point and maybe they saw 30 second highlights and we had a good chance. :| You couldn’t make it up.

I absolutely would have taken a point before the game and I’m delighted we got it, but that doesn’t change a lot especially given how the goal really came about. It want through any degree of mounted pressure, it never looked likely it was a shit ball and somehow Sims who was never favourite to get to the ball, did and Chester did a McShane.

Had Chester just picked up the ball in his own half and walked into his goal himself would you be just as happy?

The result was excellent, the performance in the first half was ok, the performance in the second half was a million miles below the level required to be competitive. Draw or not.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 26 Aug 2018 09:41

genome CR - I think what they are saying is, despite fluking the result, grabbing a last minute equaliser will hopefully change our fortunes going forward. It's always good for a squad low on morale.

Hopefully. It felt like a big goal to me. Can’t really explain it but really felt at the time had we lost that it would have been hard to recover mentally and confidence wise. We really, really need to build on this. Got to get a win from somewhere though!

Pandoras Box

by Pandoras Box » 26 Aug 2018 09:42

And on the subject of previous posters complaints regarding seat allocation and moaning.
It is becoming increasingly regular nowadays, especially if we have a relatively small away following, to have unreserved seating.
So why, when about 15 ‘lads’ or a family of 5 rock up at 14:55 do they stand with amazement that there hasn’t been a section specially saved for them and their grand entrance and then start haranguing the young stewards? I doubt if they had tickets together in the first place.
And secondly when a whole section is cordoned off with stewards and the main section is packed, do the same said people keep going, ‘oh look there’s some empty seats here’ and get arsey when they are turned away.
Don’t you think there’s a reason why it’s completely bloody empty and everyone else is packed in elsewhere?

Anyway great away day yesterday.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 26 Aug 2018 10:05

CountryRoyal
genome CR - I think what they are saying is, despite fluking the result, grabbing a last minute equaliser will hopefully change our fortunes going forward. It's always good for a squad low on morale.

Hopefully. It felt like a big goal to me. Can’t really explain it but really felt at the time had we lost that it would have been hard to recover mentally and confidence wise. We really, really need to build on this. Got to get a win from somewhere though!

3 out of our next 4 matches are winnable home games. We must have at least 1 victory by the end of that run.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 26 Aug 2018 10:09

CountryRoyal

B: I know it’s a results business, and I more than most accept that. Under Stam in first season I was happy because we were winning even if the football was shit. I’d still say it how I saw it though. How could we have “easily scored three”? The double chance could only ever have culminated in 1 goal, but that goes without saying.
C: I’m sorry you got offended by someone “slagging off” a performance, on an Internet forum. Wow.

You’re not surprised by people “moaning”? The only thing I’m not surprised at is people who didn’t even go to the game, or didn’t even watch it, come on here and criticise someone’s view because we got a good point and maybe they saw 30 second highlights and we had a good chance. :| You couldn’t make it up.

I absolutely would have taken a point before the game and I’m delighted we got it, but that doesn’t change a lot especially given how the goal really came about. It want through any degree of mounted pressure, it never looked likely it was a shit ball and somehow Sims who was never favourite to get to the ball, did and Chester did a McShane.

Had Chester just picked up the ball in his own half and walked into his goal himself would you be just as happy?

The result was excellent, the performance in the first half was ok, the performance in the second half was a million miles below the level required to be competitive. Draw or not.

1. First half corner could easily have been bundled in.
2. But for an incredible save Baldock had a tap in.
3. The penalty we scored.

I'd assume that's what Lux was referring to for three goals.

The encouraging things about this game are that. We expected it to be tough, and it was. But we largely stood up to and kept Villa out, they only scored once. We kept playing to the final whistle and didn't give up. That persistence salvaged a result from being behind.

I don't see how the penalty can be considered flukey. Sims used his pace to get to the ball first and the defender went to ground, making contact with Sims and failing to clear the ball.

I'm not sure how anyone can say we've talked about turning points before either. We haven't had any. We finished badly against Derby. We finished badly against Forest. We just downright played badly against Bolton and finishec badly against Blackburn. This is the first chink of light and posituve to take from a league game this season. Yeah we won in the cup, I suppose we can include that as a possible turning point, but then we've only lost one game since then (two before).

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 26 Aug 2018 10:16

BTW CR, I think the assertion that you were happy because we were winning under Stam is slightly revisionist, I remember having several arguments with you on here in the 16/17 season because you were very much unhappy

LUX
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by LUX » 26 Aug 2018 10:19

CountryRoyal

You posted in the minutes after we scored and got the draw:
« That. Was. Fcking. Dreadful ».

Check out page 6 of the match thread.

bobby1413
Hob Nob Addict

by bobby1413 » 26 Aug 2018 10:25

Fcking hell. Does EVERY single bloody thread have to turn into a tit-for-tat argument?!

LUX
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by LUX » 26 Aug 2018 10:32

Yes

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 26 Aug 2018 10:36

No

:wink:

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 26 Aug 2018 10:38

LUX You posted in the minutes after we scored and got the draw:
« That. Was. Fcking. Dreadful ».

Check out page 6 of the match thread.

And? I’m not sure what you’re trying to prove here? That I thought the performance was dreadful? Have I not accurately portrayed that enough in this thread?

LUX
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by LUX » 26 Aug 2018 10:40

You certainly have

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 26 Aug 2018 10:42

genome BTW CR, I think the assertion that you were happy because we were winning under Stam is slightly revisionist, I remember having several arguments with you on here in the 16/17 season because you were very much unhappy

Yeah that’s fair enough. On a performance basis I wasn’t happy, but I’d still take playing shit and winning over playing well and losing. I remember saying that a few times as well.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 26 Aug 2018 10:43

LUX You certainly have

Well then I’m not sure what your point is here. Anyway enjoy your time on the other side of the world. Anywhere nice?

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 26 Aug 2018 10:47

Snowflake Royal
CountryRoyal

1. First half corner could easily have been bundled in.
2. But for an incredible save Baldock had a tap in.
3. The penalty we scored.

I'd assume that's what Lux was referring to for three goals.

The encouraging things about this game are that. We expected it to be tough, and it was. But we largely stood up to and kept Villa out, they only scored once. We kept playing to the final whistle and didn't give up. That persistence salvaged a result from being behind.

I don't see how the penalty can be considered flukey. Sims used his pace to get to the ball first and the defender went to ground, making contact with Sims and failing to clear the ball.

I'm not sure how anyone can say we've talked about turning points before either. We haven't had any. We finished badly against Derby. We finished badly against Forest. We just downright played badly against Bolton and finishec badly against Blackburn. This is the first chink of light and posituve to take from a league game this season. Yeah we won in the cup, I suppose we can include that as a possible turning point, but then we've only lost one game since then (two before).

I think whoever said turning points was referring to last season. As in we’ve seen enough times moments which might spur the team on, but that never materialised and it was more of the same shit that followed.

I think.

traff

by traff » 26 Aug 2018 11:10

The turning point is clearly me taking my seven year old to his first away game, lucky day for the penalty and he got the captains shirt.
However on another note to the scroat who was threatening me as we left.
1 No I am not gay, holding my young sons hand as we walked through the crowds is not an indicator of this and no he is not a C""T he is a well mannered 7 year old.
2 Yes I could do with losing a few pounds but middle age is a bitch. You however cannot use age as an excuse so a few more salads may help.
3. You called me a Cockney W*****..I am not a cockney.
4. Telling me that I am not welcome in Birmingham is OK by me.
5 Never been trolled by a real live one is this the reason for your angst, there will be someone out there for you somewhere?
6. Also, my wife has great gaydar and in her opinion , and I don't wish to alarm you, your star player would be a great high profile role model? Would he still be welcome in Birmingham? I hear North London residents are a little more tolerant.
7 Finally, thanks for the point we really didn't deserve it LOL

Jagermesiter1871
Hob Nob Regular

by Jagermesiter1871 » 26 Aug 2018 11:24

CountryRoyal No, what is happening is that a fluky last minute penalty has completely changed people’s view of the game. Win or lose or draw I look at it as a performance and I would have said by and large the exact same things had the game finished 1-0.

LUX and tidus did you even go?

Just from watching the highlights it looks like we could have won 3:1 - two guilt edge chances than we some how conspired to miss.