MATCHWATCH : Watford (h) sponsored by a difficulty to enthuse

135 posts
Zip
Hob Nob Legend

Re: MATCHWATCH : Watford (h) sponsored by a difficulty to enthuse

by Zip » 29 Aug 2018 21:42

Jackson Corner Glad I didn't go the gulf between us and Watford is massive. We have played them 116 times more than any other club. It's hard to imagine we will ever be in the same league as them again.

Football changes very quickly. I saw Watford v Stockport in December 1976. It was in the old Division Four. Ok it was a long time ago but they have had loads of ups and downs since then.
We are on a downward trend at the moment and it may continue a while yet but in time we will bounce back.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 29 Aug 2018 21:43

Sutekh Poor second half showing from Reading only managed one wayward header from Moore

It’s definitely more of the same. Let’s hope Saturday marks a change for the better.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 29 Aug 2018 21:43

Jackson Corner Glad I didn't go the gulf between us and Watford is massive. We have played them 116 times more than any other club. It's hard to imagine we will ever be in the same league as them again.

You having a laugh? :|

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 29 Aug 2018 21:46

Attendance 9,265. Respectable given the lowly gates this competition attracts.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 29 Aug 2018 21:48

Attempt missed. Liam Kelly (Reading) right footed shot from the centre of the box is high and wide to the right.

Past couple of seasons summed up!

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 29 Aug 2018 21:51

RoyalBlue
Attempt missed. Liam Kelly (Reading) right footed shot from the centre of the box is high and wide to the right.

Past couple of seasons summed up!

Bolton all over again. Player with head up and off balance skies the ball over the bar. I really don’t want to see this kind of crap again on Saturday.

alfie9

by alfie9 » 29 Aug 2018 21:51

It's all becoming so tiresome. Saturday we'll lose 2-0 and then be fed lines about how we're slowly improving

Melton Royal
Hob Nob Regular
Location: Melton, New York, Paris & Dubai - but mostly Melton and just outside the lockdown zone

by Melton Royal » 29 Aug 2018 21:54

Zip

Football changes very quickly. I saw Watford v Stockport in December 1976. It was in the old Division Four. Ok it was a long time ago but they have had loads of ups and downs since then.
We are on a downward trend at the moment and it may continue a while yet but in time we will bounce back.

Good comment Zip - we're probably due a dip, many of the current supporters have no idea of life in divisions 3 & 4 which is where I've mostly seen the team over the past 50+ years and just expect so much from what really is an average club.

Jackson Corner
Hob Nob Regular

by Jackson Corner » 29 Aug 2018 22:01

Snowflake Royal

You having a laugh? :|

Well we will be relegated and I can't see us bouncing back for many years with the crap we have. They have billionaire owners who will keep them in the prem. Even if they did come down they will go straight back up. Tonight showed a huge gulf in class they made 11 changes and looked 2 divisions above us.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 29 Aug 2018 22:08

I felt central midfield was our biggest problem area last season and nothing has changed. I have never been convinced by Kelly. I did think Swift would be a big player for us but frankly he is a big disappointment these days.
Until Clement addresses this we will continue to struggle. Surely by now he realises that Swift and Kelly playing together doesn’t work.

I don’t care about tonight. On to Saturday. Let’s hope Barrow is fit. We need a win.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 29 Aug 2018 22:28

A less than full strength Reading lost to Watford reserves.

I remember the days when teams cared about the League Cup and days when there would be an atmosphere in grounds in anticipation of opponents from higher leagues being run close or even beaten.

Flat crowd, no buzz, no excitement all, just plastic who cares football

Are competitions like this worth it any more?

Ascotexgunner
Hob Nob Addict

by Ascotexgunner » 29 Aug 2018 22:29

I think this issue has been raised every night Zip.......I'm renowned for saying stupid things and I'll say another one. We have no steel in the middle or decent protection for the back four, you know someone who can drop into holes or fill gaps. Someone who can just drive forward a little bit and take the team with them......and now comes the stupid bit.......that was Joey Van Den Bergs best position. Yeah I know he was clumsy and a card waiting to happen but he could do a job. In some of Readings best performances last season (if you can remember that far back) he played well. The problems came when Stam thought he was a central defender, then he was a comp!ete donkey.

Cape Town Royal

by Cape Town Royal » 29 Aug 2018 22:40

Harper / Sidwell

Karacan / Legs

Each slightly different types of players but look at the power and control those combinations gave us in Midfield and the platform to win matches...

We don't have one of those types of players at the moment let alone a working combination...

We've got either luxury lightweight players or stock midfielders with no drive... Until we get some drive in midfield we go nowhere...

Case rested - shoot me down!

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 29 Aug 2018 22:42

Ok just got home and planted my sad arse on the sofa, what a fcuking wasted evening.
While cup games are a notorious bad indicator sometimes that was just about as bad a performance that I have seen in a very long time , if we are depending on Swift and Kelly to run the midfield this season then god help us, but tbf who else do we have? a obvious problem that wasn`t addressed all though the summer.
Up front Meite`s first touch was bloody awful. McNulty looks like the jump in class is beyond him.
That Watford reserve side would most definately be pushing for a championship play-off spot given the chance. but god we a club in a mess right now judging by this evening.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 29 Aug 2018 22:46

Cape Town Royal Harper / Sidwell

Karacan / Legs

Each slightly different types of players but look at the power and control those combinations gave us in Midfield and the platform to win matches...

We don't have one of those types of players at the moment let alone a working combination...

We've got either luxury lightweight players or stock midfielders with no drive... Until we get some drive in midfield we go nowhere...

+1

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 29 Aug 2018 22:46

Cape Town Royal Harper / Sidwell

Karacan / Legs

Not a chance I will shoot you down, the midfield is shocking .

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 29 Aug 2018 22:48

Well that was fun.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 29 Aug 2018 22:51

Clement has made clear that those that came into the side tonight didn’t do enough. So it looks like Bacuna and Meyler in central midfield on Saturday. No problem with these two when we are setting up to try and nab a draw as in Villa away but we need to win on Saturday....but where are the options?

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 29 Aug 2018 22:56

Zip Clement has made clear that those that came into the side tonight didn’t do enough. So it looks like Bacuna and Meyler in central midfield on Saturday. No problem with these two when we are setting up to try and nab a draw as in Villa away but we need to win on Saturday....but where are the options?

Meyler, Bacuna. Swift, Kelly.Clement, Edwards (injured) and Sims can play there, that hardly fills you with confidence does it?

CavershamRoyal

by CavershamRoyal » 29 Aug 2018 22:57

Don't quite understand the pessimism (based on this match at least). Yes, we're not a great side at the moment and I'd be surprised if we finished above about 18th. But that was a very good Watford side with players that would walk into any team in our league.

There were some good moments when the ball was lifted over the top or when a counter attack started, stemming from Walker. Disappointing that we didn't score, but glimpses of a different style.

Don't get me wrong, it was not a great evening of football, but we weren't disgraced and the players looked like they were putting some effort in at least. We faded badly in the second half (again).

Gunter looked good in the opening 20 minutes or so. Gives us a good attacking option and began to link with McNulty.

Speaking of McNulty - I don't want to write anyone off after a few games, but it looks like a large step up for him. Hope he can grab a goal and get going, but he struggled tonight (albeit without much quality service). Meite wasn't miles better, gets into great positions but his touch is awful. Shows a lot of desire, just needs an end product.

Thought Moore and Ilori looked a little shaky but nothing overly concerning. Baldock seemed to give the ball away a bit cheaply when he came on. Swift and Kelly were average, Bacuna had quite a few good moments.

Sorry for the disorganised ramble - but they're my initial thoughts. Not a great evening, but doesn't show us anything new that we haven't seen from the league matches.

135 posts