MATCHWATCH : Sheffield Wednesday (h) sponsored by oh no, not another Saturday home game

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

Re: MATCHWATCH : Sheffield Wednesday (h) sponsored by oh no, not another Saturday home game

by NewCorkSeth » 30 Aug 2018 14:14

Tilehurstsouthbank
NewCorkSeth
Tilehurstsouthbank
You're kidding right? For someone well over six foot, Pog was awful in the air.

Nope. Pog, despite all his faults, was capable of top quality hold-up play and was a decent ball winner from aerial duels. His work ethic, dribbling, crossing and passing all pale in comparison to Bod but if he was in this team he would be a better option than Bod. He just suits the tactics a little more. Of course given we have no natural goal scoring talent right now the tactics still wouldn't work to their best..

From what I recall, he was ok when the ball was played into his feet using his strength but he was usually out-battled in the air by defenders 6 inches shorter than him.

We obviously remember it differently! Either way I hope we agree Bod is no good at hold up play.

Tilehurstsouthbank
Hob Nob Regular

Re: MATCHWATCH : Sheffield Wednesday (h) sponsored by oh no, not another Saturday home game

by Tilehurstsouthbank » 30 Aug 2018 14:20

NewCorkSeth
Tilehurstsouthbank
NewCorkSeth Nope. Pog, despite all his faults, was capable of top quality hold-up play and was a decent ball winner from aerial duels. His work ethic, dribbling, crossing and passing all pale in comparison to Bod but if he was in this team he would be a better option than Bod. He just suits the tactics a little more. Of course given we have no natural goal scoring talent right now the tactics still wouldn't work to their best..

From what I recall, he was ok when the ball was played into his feet using his strength but he was usually out-battled in the air by defenders 6 inches shorter than him.

We obviously remember it differently! Either way I hope we agree Bod is no good at hold up play.

Agree to disagree. No harm, no foul. As for Bod, agreed, he does need to improve his hold up play

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 30 Aug 2018 15:10

NewCorkSeth Bod sadly isn't up to task for that. He loses a surprising amount of aerial duels when playing with his back to the goal. Something Pog thrived at.

Saw a stat the other day...
Aerial Duels won this season:
Bod 39%
Meite 60%
So yep, trying to go long/direct to Bod is a problem. Of course, we've known this for 2 seasons now.
Suspect its why Meite, despite shortcomings, has found himself being given quite a few mins (we lose at Villa without his flick on header from which Sims won the pen).
The other concern about 'going long/direct' is whether it suits Baldock and McNulty and puts them on the periphery, i.e. the bench...which is not exactly ideal for your only two purchases of the Summer.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 30 Aug 2018 15:49

Denver Royal
NewCorkSeth Bod sadly isn't up to task for that. He loses a surprising amount of aerial duels when playing with his back to the goal. Something Pog thrived at.

Bod 39%
Meite 60%
So yep, trying to go long/direct to Bod is a problem. Of course, we've known this for 2 seasons now.
Suspect its why Meite, despite shortcomings, has found himself being given quite a few mins (we lose at Villa without his flick on header from which Sims won the pen).
The other concern about 'going long/direct' is whether it suits Baldock and McNulty and puts them on the periphery, i.e. the bench...which is not exactly ideal for your only two purchases of the Summer.

Hence why I mentioned preferring a 4-5-1. It would put one of Baldock or McNulty out of the match day squad completely but I think our team would be better for it.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 30 Aug 2018 16:16

Denver Royal

Bod 39%
Meite 60%

Those stats are a tiny bit misleading as Bod is generally competing against tall centre backs who are good at heading, as opposed to Meite who is invariably winning headers against fullbacks or wingers, although that said he’s good and would probably fair better than Bod in that regard anyway.

Bod’s hold up play is atrocious, completely out of his depth in that regard.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 30 Aug 2018 16:48

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 30 Aug 2018 16:55

40% isn’t terrible anyway

Baldock or McNulty would be feeding off any scraps (knock downs, half won headers etc) ideally - but just throwing out that wouldn’t be suprised if this is the way the team is evolving - and that may mean a much more direct style of play (which I thought worked at Blackburn first half)

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 30 Aug 2018 16:57

Sutekh Sheff Wed fans predictions...

https://www.owlstalk.co.uk/forums/topic ... edictions/

Seems perfectly reasoned and sensible. My how they’ve fallen from their high horses. Only seems like yesterday that they were at Wembley with Fulham in the playoff final.

Compare with Blackburn, Villa and Forest who many on their forum’s were predicting heavy defeats for us as they should be “smashing teams like us.

Crowbar6753

by Crowbar6753 » 30 Aug 2018 17:10

It has to be 4-4-2 for me, we don't have the strikers to play one up top and i really think Bod and Baldock will play well together. Our biggest problem area is the midfield! there is no creativity and the players who could make something happen (Swift, Kelly) are both playing terrible at the moment.
Myler is far to slow and would struggle in a two man midfield as players would just run rings around him, i would go for bacuna and rhinamota as a wild card as both have energy to burn and do away with the creativity and get the ball out wide to Sims and Barrow!! can't be any worse than the crap we have been watching recently lol :D

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 30 Aug 2018 17:16

I’d keep hold of Rinomhota likewise, rather than loaning him out. Would def consider him in midfield unless Kelly, Swift and Meyler improve massively

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 30 Aug 2018 17:58

Cant see why Bod should be dropped. He has scored 75% of our League goals this season. I suspect Clement will go with..

Mannone
Yiadom
Moore
Ilori
Blackett
Meyler
Bacuna
Barrow
Aluko
Bodvarsson
Baldock

bobby1413
Hob Nob Addict

by bobby1413 » 30 Aug 2018 18:06

Get Gunter back in the team ASAP

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 30 Aug 2018 18:31

CountryRoyal
Denver Royal

Bod 39%
Meite 60%

Those stats are a tiny bit misleading as Bod is generally competing against tall centre backs who are good at heading, as opposed to Meite who is invariably winning headers against fullbacks or wingers, although that said he’s good and would probably fair better than Bod in that regard anyway.

Bod’s hold up play is atrocious, completely out of his depth in that regard.

CR, you're right, bit misleading. It also doesn't differentiate between Off (which we're discussing) and Def (when he's back to defend corners/free kicks). He's certainly up against tall CB's in the Champ. And tbf, I think he's improved a bit. Whether that's enough, we'll see. Whatever our approach, not sure we should be lumping too many high balls in to the box if Baldock is playing off Bod as not sure its a real high % play.
Last edited by Denver Royal on 30 Aug 2018 18:33, edited 1 time in total.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 30 Aug 2018 18:32

bobby1413 Get Gunter back in the team ASAP

Would he improve on Blackett at the moment at Left Back?

Because he’s never getting in at right back and rightly so. The day I see I Clement choose Gunter over Yiadom is the day I’ll start saying Clement Out.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 30 Aug 2018 18:55

CountryRoyal
bobby1413 Get Gunter back in the team ASAP

Would he improve on Blackett at the moment at Left Back?

Because he’s never getting in at right back and rightly so. The day I see I Clement choose Gunter over Yiadom is the day I’ll start saying Clement Out.

You never know the arrival of Yiadom might improve Gunter’s game now he has serious competition. Can only be good for both players.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 30 Aug 2018 19:00

Is Yiadom really as good as being suggested? How many decent crosses as he managed to date?

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 30 Aug 2018 19:08

Zip Is Yiadom really as good as being suggested? How many decent crosses as he managed to date?

Quite a few by my count but that's not the marker of a successful RB is it..

It's also not a fair demand considering how poor we are at winning offensive headers.

he's, thus far, been a player in almost every category.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 30 Aug 2018 19:11

NewCorkSeth
Zip Is Yiadom really as good as being suggested? How many decent crosses as he managed to date?

Quite a few by my count but that's not the marker of a successful RB is it..

It's also not a fair demand considering how poor we are at winning offensive headers.

he's, thus far, been a player in almost every category.

I mentioned crosses given how attack minded he is supposed to be. I missed the Derby game so my first sight of him was v Bolton and he was underwhelming. I hope to see a better performance from him on Saturday.

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 30 Aug 2018 20:30

Sheff Wed beat a couple shit teams at home and now they think they're hot shit. Despite everything I'm actually fairly confident we'll get the win on Saturday.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 30 Aug 2018 20:40

Coppells Lost Coat
Snowflake Royal
Coppells Lost Coat
Yep, by pass the middle. Pretty sure in our most successful team not much was created by Harper and Sidwell. They just did a oxf*rd ton of running and let the wings create something.

Nonsense. Harper and Sidwell created loads. And Harper was usually the one who started us off by getting it wide and into space early in the first place.

It's Legs and Jem that were extremely bypassed.

So playing down the wings, yeah?

No they created plenty. For a start they scored 17 goals between them. That's not just doing a ton of running and letting the wings create. Unfortunately I can't find any key pass or assist stats from that long ago. But they were both absolutely a key part of our attacking play.