MATCHWATCH : Sheffield Wednesday (h) sponsored by oh no, not another Saturday home game

Pandoras Box

Re: MATCHWATCH : Sheffield Wednesday (h) sponsored by oh no, not another Saturday home game

by Pandoras Box » 30 Aug 2018 20:58

CountryRoyal
bobby1413 Get Gunter back in the team ASAP

Would he improve on Blackett at the moment at Left Back?

Because he’s never getting in at right back and rightly so. The day I see I Clement choose Gunter over Yiadom is the day I’ll start saying Clement Out.

+1,000,000 to the power of another million.

tmesis
Hob Nob Regular

Re: MATCHWATCH : Sheffield Wednesday (h) sponsored by oh no, not another Saturday home game

by tmesis » 30 Aug 2018 23:44

Something I was pondering on wednesday night...if you were a scout preparing a report on Reading, and you were asked to name the team's strengths, would you be able to name a single thing we are good at?

Coppells Lost Coat
Hob Nob Regular

by Coppells Lost Coat » 30 Aug 2018 23:54

Snowflake Royal
Coppells Lost Coat
Snowflake Royal Nonsense. Harper and Sidwell created loads. And Harper was usually the one who started us off by getting it wide and into space early in the first place.

It's Legs and Jem that were extremely bypassed.

So playing down the wings, yeah?

No they created plenty. For a start they scored 17 goals between them. That's not just doing a ton of running and letting the wings create. Unfortunately I can't find any key pass or assist stats from that long ago. But they were both absolutely a key part of our attacking play.

Ok. Think were talking cross purposes here.
Merely pointing out that to have a successful midfield you dont have to have someone in there splitting defenders every other ball and skinning players. Think Sidwell and Harpers job was made easier by having the movement of players like Little, Convey and Kitson all ahead of them.

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 31 Aug 2018 00:45

Zip Is Yiadom really as good as being suggested? How many decent crosses as he managed to date?

Been upgrade so far, but long season. But, not sure RB was biggest need. Exponentially how much better are you if you improve RB? Need to hide someone, within reason, it's likely RB. Most player's are R footed so you can shift one there. Not that many good L footed wingers against us, so bigger issue is LB. (Roy Keane alluded to this in his book). Yiadom may be upgrade, signed on free, ok, but how much will it manifest in standings? Starting to hear 'Well, at least Yiadom was good signing...'.

On side note, saw stats/story 2 years ago re. how many goals actually scored directly from ‘crosses’....and was shocked how few are. Now, it related to PL only. But it was saying how taking a long corner, for example, (and despite crowd cheering, expectantly) it can be risky play and leave you open for quick counters. Which partly explains why short corners are in vogue and also why a few corners/free kicks don’t get by the first man i.e. attempting something more intricate rather than pumping it on to the middle (which obviously every pro, physically, is very able to do, and despite the howls of derision). Anyway, there’s a fair bit that goes in to ‘crosses’ these days...and I’ve yelled ‘put it in the box!’ many a time as fan and player in my time:)

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 31 Aug 2018 07:05

tmesis Something I was pondering on wednesday night...if you were a scout preparing a report on Reading, and you were asked to name the team's strengths, would you be able to name a single thing we are good at?

From whoscored but I think they’re being kind. We seem decent at defending set pieces I’ll give them that.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 31 Aug 2018 07:33

Coppells Lost Coat
Snowflake Royal
Coppells Lost Coat
So playing down the wings, yeah?

No they created plenty. For a start they scored 17 goals between them. That's not just doing a ton of running and letting the wings create. Unfortunately I can't find any key pass or assist stats from that long ago. But they were both absolutely a key part of our attacking play.

Ok. Think were talking cross purposes here.
Merely pointing out that to have a successful midfield you dont have to have someone in there splitting defenders every other ball and skinning players. Think Sidwell and Harpers job was made easier by having the movement of players like Little, Convey and Kitson all ahead of them.

Fair. Soz if I got arsey. We certainly agree midfield is a problem.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 31 Aug 2018 07:38

Denver Royal
Zip Is Yiadom really as good as being suggested? How many decent crosses as he managed to date?

Been upgrade so far, but long season. But, not sure RB was biggest need. Exponentially how much better are you if you improve RB? Need to hide someone, within reason, it's likely RB. Most player's are R footed so you can shift one there. Not that many good L footed wingers against us, so bigger issue is LB. (Roy Keane alluded to this in his book). Yiadom may be upgrade, signed on free, ok, but how much will it manifest in standings? Starting to hear 'Well, at least Yiadom was good signing...'.

On side note, saw stats/story 2 years ago re. how many goals actually scored directly from ‘crosses’....and was shocked how few are. Now, it related to PL only. But it was saying how taking a long corner, for example, (and despite crowd cheering, expectantly) it can be risky play and leave you open for quick counters. Which partly explains why short corners are in vogue and also why a few corners/free kicks don’t get by the first man i.e. attempting something more intricate rather than pumping it on to the middle (which obviously every pro, physically, is very able to do, and despite the howls of derision). Anyway, there’s a fair bit that goes in to ‘crosses’ these days...and I’ve yelled ‘put it in the box!’ many a time as fan and player in my time:)

I'd love to know how they defined a cross and scoring direct from one.

I reckon they probably don't count goals scored from scrambled clearances, second balls, flick ons, knocks back across or pull backs.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 31 Aug 2018 08:36

CountryRoyal
tmesis Something I was pondering on wednesday night...if you were a scout preparing a report on Reading, and you were asked to name the team's strengths, would you be able to name a single thing we are good at?

From whoscored but I think they’re being kind. We seem decent at defending set pieces I’ll give them that.

Looks pretty accurate

We’re not a bad side overall, think that get played up a bit. We’ve decent technical players. It’s the pathetically weak mentality that is the major problem

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 31 Aug 2018 08:57

New signing, Saeid Ezatolahi, will not be available for this game but be in for the Preston game.

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 31 Aug 2018 09:58

Old Man Andrews Gavin Ward is a man who cannot be trusted. He is from Surrey though which is not a million miles away from us, not sure I'd be happy about that if I supported Sheffield Wednesday.

Why? Everyone knows that people who live in Surrey either support Chelsea or Man United.

This match has draw written allover it.

prfoster

by prfoster » 31 Aug 2018 11:45

LOSING

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 31 Aug 2018 11:48

CountryRoyal

Under weaknesses you've put eczema...

prfoster

by prfoster » 31 Aug 2018 11:50

But in all honestly we are lacking in all creative departments , cannot play through midfield , no width and no pace up top , on a plus side Mcshane is banished to the bench and its a pity Mannone is not next to him, Sad to say its a tough watch at moment .

JoeyJoeJoeJnrShabadoo

by JoeyJoeJoeJnrShabadoo » 31 Aug 2018 11:59

thanks

SWLR
Hob Nob Regular

by SWLR » 31 Aug 2018 17:15

Hector signs on loan for Wed

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 31 Aug 2018 17:42

SWLR Hector signs on loan for Wed

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 31 Aug 2018 18:45

Moore signs a new five year deal. It will all be about the release clause

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 31 Aug 2018 18:51

Sutekh
SWLR Hector signs on loan for Wed

Beautiful.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 01 Sep 2018 11:43

The Whoscored stat preview makes grim reading with Weds ahead on virtually all metrics. Theyre predicting a solid 1-2 to Weds. :cry:

Mind you they expect Swift to play alongside Meyler, in which case I'd expect a thumping based on their Bolton performances.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 01 Sep 2018 14:11

Mannone
Yiadom
Gunter
Moore
Ilori
Aluko
Meyler
Bacuna
Barrow
Meite
Baldock

Subs

Walker
McShane
Swift
Kelly
McNulty
Blackett
Sims

Bodvarsson has this week’s mystery injury then..