Ian Royal
12%

Total votes: 139
Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Clement

by Snowflake Royal » 04 Dec 2018 18:25

Old Man Andrews
Hound Interesting interview on JLows gig with Madejski.

This one caught my eye particularly:

If Gourlay interfered in team selection

"I can't say that for sure but if he had an office at the training ground then that says something."

https://www.football.london/reading-fc/ ... g-15502346

No names mentioned, but one that starts with 'Al' and ends in 'O' comes to mind

Gourlay leaves and Aluko isn't in the squad. Definite link for me.

Didn't Gourlay leave before Aluko's most recent appearance?

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 05 Dec 2018 09:20

Snowflake Royal
Old Man Andrews
Hound Interesting interview on JLows gig with Madejski.

This one caught my eye particularly:

If Gourlay interfered in team selection

"I can't say that for sure but if he had an office at the training ground then that says something."

https://www.football.london/reading-fc/ ... g-15502346

No names mentioned, but one that starts with 'Al' and ends in 'O' comes to mind

Yes he did. Aluko's probably ill or injured but no-one cares enough to ask.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 05 Dec 2018 09:27

Sutekh
Snowflake Royal
Old Man Andrews

Yes he did. Aluko's probably ill or injured but no-one cares enough to ask.

I think he was dropped. My general point is perhaps Gourlay put pressure on/insisted on Aluko being in matchday squads. I still want the question asked to someone at the club if Aluko has some sort of clause in his deal about guaranteed play time.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 05 Dec 2018 09:40

I very much expect Gourlay and the very least put pressure on to play him

Aluko was prob given once last chance which he inevitably fluffed. Be surprised to see him again in the near future

Vision
Hob Nob Addict

by Vision » 05 Dec 2018 10:16

I guess you never can tell given some of our recent negotiations but it would be highly unlikely to stick a "guaranteed appearances" clause in a contract.

More likely the other way round, IE part of the fee for Aluko is dependant on X amount of appearances being made. We've certainly got previous for that.

I do think that there's enough conjecture to suggest Gourlay's presence didn't exactly help Clement but to suggest he was being forced to pick certain players is a bit tin foil hat for me. Especially when as pointed out, Clement gave Aluko his first start in 6 games directly after Gourlay left.

Madejski's done a really good PR job for the club and especially for Clement with that interview. Clement now has something of a clean slate for the majority of his reign so far now that Gourlay has been made responsible for our recent woes. Lets hope he can make the most of it.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 05 Dec 2018 10:43

As usual Vision, a sensible post

One thing on the Aluko example though. Yes, he did get his first start, but that was with Barrow, Bod and Baldock all out. Loader also yet to play a game.

And presuming he wasn’t injured on sat, that’s the first time he has been out of the squad since he arrived.

I very much doubt Gourlay was picking him on PCs behalf as such, but I do expect there was some pressure there to play him

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 05 Dec 2018 10:51

It would have been hugely embarrassing for Gourlay to see the club record signing he gave the green light for to be sat on the bench all the time or out of the squad. He had to have applied pressure on Clement and Stam to select him, it adds up.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 05 Dec 2018 11:00

Vision I guess you never can tell given some of our recent negotiations but it would be highly unlikely to stick a "guaranteed appearances" clause in a contract.

More likely the other way round, IE part of the fee for Aluko is dependant on X amount of appearances being made. We've certainly got previous for that.

I do think that there's enough conjecture to suggest Gourlay's presence didn't exactly help Clement but to suggest he was being forced to pick certain players is a bit tin foil hat for me. Especially when as pointed out, Clement gave Aluko his first start in 6 games directly after Gourlay left.

Madejski's done a really good PR job for the club and especially for Clement with that interview. Clement now has something of a clean slate for the majority of his reign so far now that Gourlay has been made responsible for our recent woes. Lets hope he can make the most of it.

Agreed on Madejski. A very clever intervention from him. One that made me wish he was still in charge but also gave a (probably false) sense of optimism.

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 05 Dec 2018 11:39

Hound As usual Vision, a sensible post

One thing on the Aluko example though. Yes, he did get his first start, but that was with Barrow, Bod and Baldock all out. Loader also yet to play a game.

And presuming he wasn’t injured on sat, that’s the first time he has been out of the squad since he arrived.

I very much doubt Gourlay was picking him on PCs behalf as such, but I do expect there was some pressure there to play him

Not sure I get the Vision love-in today, all Vision has done is offered a different opinion but it's turned out to be wrong.

Aluko has some form clause in his contract where he needs as much game time as possible. Gourlay's departure doesn't change what is written into a contract. It's not difficult to figure out.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 05 Dec 2018 11:54

John Smith
Hound As usual Vision, a sensible post

Not sure I get the Vision love-in today, all Vision has done is offered a different opinion but it's turned out to be wrong.

Aluko has some form clause in his contract where he needs as much game time as possible. Gourlay's departure doesn't change what is written into a contract. It's not difficult to figure out.

Vision posts are measured and well thought out. He’s not hysterical, prone to self obsessed grandstanding or just trying to wind people up.

As a result he stands out as probably the best poster on the team board.

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 05 Dec 2018 12:07

leon Vision posts are measured and well thought out. He’s not hysterical, prone to self obsessed grandstanding or just trying to wind people up.

As a result he stands out as probably the best poster on the team board.

Alright mate why don’t you go and shag him then?

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 05 Dec 2018 12:16

Would be amazed if any player contract ever included a clause that the player HAD to be selected for every game irrespective of form, attitude, team needs etc.
Would be simply impossible to achieve.
Contracts last 3 or more years, you just couldn’t give that guarantee for that time period.
A compulsory selection clause would lead to massive unrest in the dressing room and greatly restrict themanager’s ability to manage.
I could perhaps see a canny agent getting appearance money for a star player even if they weren't selected , but the only players powerful enough to demand a must play clause wouldbeones who don’t need it (Messi, Ronaldo, Kane, Salah.....)

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 05 Dec 2018 12:21

Nameless Would be amazed if any player contract ever included a clause that the player HAD to be selected for every game irrespective of form, attitude, team needs etc.
Would be simply impossible to achieve.
Contracts last 3 or more years, you just couldn’t give that guarantee for that time period.
A compulsory selection clause would lead to massive unrest in the dressing room and greatly restrict themanager’s ability to manage.
I could perhaps see a canny agent getting appearance money for a star player even if they weren't selected , but the only players powerful enough to demand a must play clause wouldbeones who don’t need it (Messi, Ronaldo, Kane, Salah.....)

There is clauses that players get paid if not named to a squad that are more common.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 05 Dec 2018 12:31

I suspect it was far more about Gourlay's own reputation than any contract clause

ie his big money signing being dumped altogether from the squad doesn't reflect brilliantly on him

Generic Locale Royal

by Generic Locale Royal » 05 Dec 2018 13:33

Clement needs another post season one thinks.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 05 Dec 2018 20:26

Vision I guess you never can tell given some of our recent negotiations but it would be highly unlikely to stick a "guaranteed appearances" clause in a contract.

Spot on.

There can't be a guaranteed play or squad clause because he's been fit and not played / included. And the contract wouldn't change with the departure of the CEO.

Top Flight
Hob Nob Regular

by Top Flight » 05 Dec 2018 20:41

Clement already had a clean slate as far as I'm concerned. He hasn't really done anything wrong so far and he has been badly hampered.

His leadership through a very difficult period and under extremely challenging circumstances has been highly impressive. With more stability upstairs hopefully the noose will loosen and he will have more freedom and support to do his job well and bring success. No manager can achieve anything without support from everyone around him above and below him including fans and media.

It's time for Dellor and Gooding to start offering a bit more support instead of constantly saying he has only 5 games left to save his job if we don't win on anSaturday.

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 05 Dec 2018 20:49

Top Flight It's time for Dellor and Gooding to start offering a bit more support instead of constantly saying he has only 5 games left to save his job if we don't win on anSaturday.

Clement did allude to six game blocks on several occasions. Suggesting there was internal influences at work.

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 05 Dec 2018 20:54

Vision Madejski's done a really good PR job for the club and especially for Clement with that interview. Clement now has something of a clean slate for the majority of his reign so far now that Gourlay has been made responsible for our recent woes. Lets hope he can make the most of it.

Never one not to mince his words. Highly likely the interview was given with approval of the clubs owners. What's required is some long term planning. We've had enough of quick fixes. That fizzle out.

Top Flight
Hob Nob Regular

by Top Flight » 05 Dec 2018 20:56

Alan Pardew used to allude to six game blocks as well.

Coppell would only ever take it one game at a time.

It is just about setting short term targets and measuring performance over shorter periods to see if there is improvement from one block to the next. Clement is just focussing on managing.

Dellor is just focussing on ratings and being controversial increases his ratings. But he is not being supportive of Clement. He is on the main talking complete rubbish and being deliberately controversial. Unfortunately it does have an impact and does contribute to instability at the club.

880 posts