12%
Ian Royal
12%

Total votes: 139
Elm Park Kid
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Clement

by Elm Park Kid » 02 Sep 2018 18:57

I'm saying Ian Royal at the moment - but we really need to get some results soon otherwise i'll be calling for Ian Royal.

You never know - if we string a few good results together it could install some confidence and we'd be right back in it. In which case I would be Ian Royal and proud.

John Madejski's Wallet
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Anyone who lives within their means shows a serious lack of imagination

by John Madejski's Wallet » 02 Sep 2018 18:58

Dr_Hfuhruhurr If we sack Clement now, itll be like McDermott's first sacking - the manager being a fall guy for the failings of the other non-player staff. If any non-playing staff should be the first to go, its Tevreden. We need somebody at board level, or one level below, who has experience in building a squad in the Championship. Not similar experience, but this exact experience. We cant keep gambling in the transfer windows because we are a club who has no idea what the first XI is. Lets work on that first, and get the scouting/DOF in place who can deliver that. Relatively speaking, Clement is pretty blameless for our current predicament.We dont have 11 players to form a squad from. Replace him with our current set up, and we'll just be calling for the next manager's head in 6 months/1 years time.

I almost agree.

But I think a proper league 1/champ manager who will study the oppo and drill the players would actually do something.
Rather than the sterotypical w*nky 'young coach, great modern tactics' clone crap that we keep going for.

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 02 Sep 2018 19:01

Wasn`t Coppell a DOF at somewhere like Crawley a while back? pretty sure he`s got an eye for some untried raw talent. bring back the king.

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 02 Sep 2018 19:17

I am considering the Ian Royal option as at least I know he wouldn't select Gunter.
It's all very well people saying that managers shouldn't be sacked but that is just the way football is.
I don't know whether Clement is any good-the players look dreadful and lack motivation, whether that be lack of motivation from the manager or lack of self-motivation.

Talking to some fellow fans yesterday the feeling was that with Stam we at least knew what the Reading way was, like it or not.
There currently appears to be no Clement -Reading way apart from a bit of quick long-ball that we saw at Blackburn.
He appears to be a bit of a lost soul at the moment but maybe this 2-week break and a few chats with his mate Ancelotti will lead to improvement after the International break-it needs to happen and quickly.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 02 Sep 2018 19:20

maffff This didn't go down too well when I did it at the end of July, so let's try again. In or out.

No option for "grow the f*ck up and get a f*cking life". Shame.

Dr_Hfuhruhurr
Hob Nob Addict

by Dr_Hfuhruhurr » 02 Sep 2018 19:22

John Madejski's Wallet
Dr_Hfuhruhurr If we sack Clement now, itll be like McDermott's first sacking - the manager being a fall guy for the failings of the other non-player staff. If any non-playing staff should be the first to go, its Tevreden. We need somebody at board level, or one level below, who has experience in building a squad in the Championship. Not similar experience, but this exact experience. We cant keep gambling in the transfer windows because we are a club who has no idea what the first XI is. Lets work on that first, and get the scouting/DOF in place who can deliver that. Relatively speaking, Clement is pretty blameless for our current predicament.We dont have 11 players to form a squad from. Replace him with our current set up, and we'll just be calling for the next manager's head in 6 months/1 years time.

I almost agree.

But I think a proper league 1/champ manager who will study the oppo and drill the players would actually do something.
Rather than the sterotypical w*nky 'young coach, great modern tactics' clone crap that we keep going for.

I have no love for Clement. I am completely and utterly Meh about him.
But I dont think a 'Get into them. Fuvk them up' manager is going to fare any better. We dont have the squad and i dont think any new manager would have an autonomous choice on any new squad member anyway

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 02 Sep 2018 20:16

Elm Park Kid I'm saying Ian Royal at the moment - but we really need to get some results soon otherwise i'll be calling for Ian Royal.

You never know - if we string a few good results together it could install some confidence and we'd be right back in it. In which case I would be Ian Royal and proud.

Too many Ian Royals spoil the broth.

royal_rumble

by royal_rumble » 02 Sep 2018 20:39

At this club it appears that we now have a DOF who pretty much handles all the transfers. So Clements job is training, picking our best team / formation, managing the games.

So, without knowing much about about his training I can safely say he fails on the other two.

Playing 4231 or 4321 etc aganst Derby, probably best we've played this year. At the moment seems to be persevering with 442, leaving us light in midfield and with no cutting edge. Why he is keeping Baldock in who looks lost is just beyond me. Gunter straight back into the first team so Yiadom has to play out of position. Every game we come out slow, after half time we just look like we are half asleep. Guess he must be good at picking up and motivating his team huh?

He's dull, lifeless and uninspiring. I'd have rather gone down with Stam - at least he showed a modicum of passion.

OLLIE KEARNS

by OLLIE KEARNS » 02 Sep 2018 22:04

WANTED : NEW MANAGER.

Must be able to ensure

1. Mannone stops letting in shots from outside of the box.
2. Blackett learns to track runners thus ensuring no free headers from 6 yards out
3. McShane learns that going to ground in the box doesn't end well.
4. McShane learns that going to ground in the box doesn't end well.
5. Liam Kelly understands that he isn't ever going to be Iniesta and that he really needs to add some energy and drive to his performances. He actually did that for 20 minutes yesterday so why not do it every week ?
6. Aluko learns that bottling a tackle and then not tucking in behind his full back to recover the situation is likely to cause a problem.
7. Half time doesn't take place, we just carry on playing for a straight 90 minutes.
8. I could go on.................

Players are our problem.. The two teams that won the league for us had a midfield that picked themselves week after week. We have nobody in that area standing up and saying pick me every week. Good teams have 7 or 8 players that are 7/10 or better every week. We have none.
We should judge Clement on how he tries to squeeze the most out of this group. Dropping McShane showed he can make tough decisions. What tough decisions would you make to change our fortunes ?
I'll throw in two. Put Walker in goal and take Aluko out of the first team picture for a while with Sims coming in. We need players who aren't stuck in this losing mentality and feel free to play normally. Mannone looks to be gone at the game to me. Aluko is an instinct player with no confidence at present. Change the dynamics of the team.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 02 Sep 2018 22:13

I said if Clement picks Gunter over Yiadom then I’m Clement Out so I guess by default and sticking to my word than I have no choice.

In reality I feel he deserves more time but it really depends as we need to see some modicum of progress in any area. Whilst he’s inherited a bit of a shitshow he does need to shoulder a lot of the blame for how this season has transpired.

OLLIE KEARNS

by OLLIE KEARNS » 02 Sep 2018 22:20

CountryRoyal I said if Clement picks Gunter over Yiadom then I’m Clement Out so I guess by default and sticking to my word than I have no choice.

In reality I feel he deserves more time but it really depends as we need to see some modicum of progress in any area. Whilst he’s inherited a bit of a shitshow he does need to shoulder a lot of the blame for how this season has transpired.

He picked Gunter over Blackett not Yiadom. I am no Gunter fan but it's the same old problem. If Blackett defends the Villa situation at non league standard then we don't concede. I actually thought he'd made a decent start to the season until then.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 02 Sep 2018 22:28

OLLIE KEARNS
CountryRoyal I said if Clement picks Gunter over Yiadom then I’m Clement Out so I guess by default and sticking to my word than I have no choice.

He picked Gunter over Blackett not Yiadom. I am no Gunter fan but it's the same old problem. If Blackett defends the Villa situation at non league standard then we don't concede. I actually thought he'd made a decent start to the season until then.

Yes but in the wrong position. Yiadom has been our best player this season and Gunter has frequently demonstrated he’s better at left back than right back, god knows why. It was just another poor call, along with dropping Ilori and then not dropping McShane when he should have.

Platypuss
Hob Nob Moderator
Location: No one cares about your creative hub, so get your fukcin' hedge cut

by Platypuss » 02 Sep 2018 22:37

Old Man Andrews
maffff This didn't go down too well when I did it at the end of July, so let's try again. In or out.

There was a Mafff who had some credibility once, this can't be the same one, surely?

BR0B0T
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by BR0B0T » 02 Sep 2018 22:39

+1

RFC barely survived last season and have got off to a terrible start this season.

Usually, I'm for giving the manager time, however, I've had enough of the same turgid setup

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 02 Sep 2018 22:40

Platypuss
Old Man Andrews

There was a Mafff who had some credibility once, this can't be the same one, surely?

I’m not sure what happened. Was a decent poster and tweeter in the past but recently it seems like he thrives off being a bellend. It’s a shame.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 02 Sep 2018 22:58

genome
Platypuss
Old Man Andrews

I’m not sure what happened. Was a decent poster and tweeter in the past but recently it seems like he thrives off being a bellend. It’s a shame.

Yeah quite enjoyed him in doses, was great on Twitter. Stam leaving broke him for some reason. Been an utter bell ever since.

Pandoras Box

by Pandoras Box » 02 Sep 2018 22:59

OLLIE KEARNS

No he didn’t. He picked Gunter over Yiadom for the right back position and then picked Yiadom over Blackett for the left back position.
IMO two poor decisions.

mikey0406

by mikey0406 » 02 Sep 2018 23:38

This whole situation has got out of hand now and there is no way it is improving until people get behind the club/team. Scapegoats are being sound out in Gorlay, Gunter, McShane, Aluko etc... the list goes on. Beginning of last season when Stam was given money everyone was banging on ‘this is our season’ etc... if the club back the manager with their transfer targets who is left to blame?? Look at most of the top teams now, they have a team around recruitment. The days of picking out a long, Doyle or a Kitson are fewer and far between. If we base future success on the past we will always be disappointed. We are left with a squad that are more than capable of holding their own but are so low on confidence. We are arguing between ourselves about the club 1871 thing... Clement is a coach who is more than capable around coaching our way out of this and we need to get behind him and the club. I’m not sure there’s anyone who could do better with moral being so low/dejected.

DOYLERSAROYALER
Hob Nob Regular

by DOYLERSAROYALER » 03 Sep 2018 07:31

...and I dont think there was any wisdom by the hierarchy to bung Moore a new 5 year contract on improved terms..

Given that he put in a transfer request, and is now given an improved contract I fear will only cause disharmony in the player ranks..

Sadly for Clement, he will be the one who will have to manage any fallout and bad feeling there may be in the dressing room, on top of all the playing issues there obviously are currently..

Another master move by Gourlay/Tevreden which just may put another nail in the clubs coffin!

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 03 Sep 2018 07:43

Think the biggest failing in transfers over the summer was not who we got in, but who we didn’t get out

There’s going to be a group of about 10 experience players knocking about the place who aren’t even getting in the squad. PC has to manage that very difficult situation as well as trying to get something positive out of the first 11

880 posts