Hob Nob Legend

Re: BFTG - Norwich

by Zip » 20 Sep 2018 20:14

Coppells Lost Coat
Old Man Andrews
leon
No he's not.

What does Kelly bring to team?

Kelly and his attitude are a huge part of what is wrong at this club. Lazy, idle and complacent little dweeb.

Rejecting an Ireland call up via text message - quite possibly the most disrespectful and oxf*rd thing to do.

+1 Delusions of grandeur with Kelly. He simply isn’t good enough for Championship football let alone International football.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 20 Sep 2018 20:18

Zip
Coppells Lost Coat
Old Man Andrews
Kelly and his attitude are a huge part of what is wrong at this club. Lazy, idle and complacent little dweeb.

Rejecting an Ireland call up via text message - quite possibly the most disrespectful and oxf*rd thing to do.

+1 Delusions of grandeur with Kelly. He simply isn’t good enough for Championship football let alone International football.

Sadly, despite having liked him a lot, his comment about never being worried about relegation last season underlined this. Stam has basically pissed on Dolan's good work and destroyed him by talking him up as one of the best passers in the world when we got totally outclassed by Utd. It's gone to Kelly's head, the careful nurturing in the academy has been perverted to evil.

wingnut
Hob Nob Regular

by wingnut » 20 Sep 2018 20:23

bcubed
wingnut
Platypuss The recurring thread for me throughout the match was how stupendously weak we were, all over the pitch, continually bouncing off the Norwich players, and routinely losing 50:50s. It was only in the period where we passed the ball with some pace and so avoided having to compete physically that we looked half decent.

Yep, had the same thoughts at the game and was about to post the same. I lost count of the number of times our midfield were out-muscled - Swift in particular seems to have no ability to shield the ball.
Generally, it seems no one involved in the club can be arsed this season - not the owners, those running it, coaching or managing staff, not the players and not even the fans. Such a general air of apathy around the place which was epitomised by the first half "performance".

Wouldn't it be nice to watch a Reading team full of strong athletic aggressive hard-tackling players? Maybe with a little bit of skill. A bit like Norwich in fact a bit like most Championship teams

For as long as I can remember, Reading have tended to be a team of hobbits but they’ve at least had some strength and tackling ability - think Sidders, Leigertwood, hell even Williams. I guess it was hoped Edwards and maybe Meyler would do this job but they’ve both been awful, even when fit. It’s clear that none that started last night come close to their predecessors.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 20 Sep 2018 20:35

Snowflake Royal
Zip
Coppells Lost Coat

Sadly, despite having liked him a lot, his comment about never being worried about relegation last season underlined this. Stam has basically pissed on Dolan's good work and destroyed him by talking him up as one of the best passers in the world when we got totally outclassed by Utd. It's gone to Kelly's head, the careful nurturing in the academy has been perverted to evil.

Fully agreed, good observation.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 20 Sep 2018 20:45

Yep agreed. The refusal to play for Ireland by text and then the relegation comment both put him down a lot in my estimations

lightning strikes

by lightning strikes » 20 Sep 2018 21:51

Tilehurstsouthbank
lightning strikes
leon
No he's not.

What does Kelly bring to team?

Not covered in tattoos so you can tell he's been raised properly.

That is a very narrow minded thing to say and a huge generalisation. Some of the most gifted people I've encountered have Tattoos.

Oh gifted no doubt, but possibly some confidence issues, mental scarring, no vision of how absurd they will look at 50....

lightning strikes

by lightning strikes » 20 Sep 2018 21:59

You lot are all so sensitive. So what if he rejected ireland, he was born in basingstoke, perhaps he just didn't feel irish or didn't want to take the place of someone who was actually irish. As for communicating by text, agree it ain't the best but who amongst us hasn't broken a relationship or quit a job by text.
As for the relegation comment, i think it's good that he was trying to maintain a calm mentality so that he and the team didn't play with fear.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 20 Sep 2018 22:01

lightning strikes You lot are all so sensitive. So what if he rejected ireland, he was born in basingstoke, perhaps he just didn't feel irish or didn't want to take the place of someone who was actually irish. As for communicating by text, agree it ain't the best but who amongst us hasn't broken a relationship or quit a job by text.
As for the relegation comment, i think it's good that he was trying to maintain a calm mentality so that he and the team didn't play with fear.

Can't do that if you don't recognise there's a problem while you stand hip deep in D'Nile.

I know kids have a text culture, but if you're declining an international call up, you show some oxf*rd respect and make a call.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 20 Sep 2018 22:04

lightning strikes You lot are all so sensitive. So what if he rejected ireland, he was born in basingstoke, perhaps he just didn't feel irish or didn't want to take the place of someone who was actually irish. As for communicating by text, agree it ain't the best but who amongst us hasn't broken a relationship or quit a job by text.

No I don’t agree. Not all of us have an obsession with texting. If I finished with a girlfriend it was face to face. If I resigned from my job it would be via formal letter of resignation.
Last edited by Zip on 20 Sep 2018 22:21, edited 1 time in total.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 20 Sep 2018 22:17

Zip

No I don’t agree. Not all of us have an obsession with texting. If I finished with a girlfriend it was face to face. If I resigned from my job it would be via fpa formal letter of resignation.

Well quite.

lightning strikes

by lightning strikes » 20 Sep 2018 22:44

Zip

No I don’t agree. Not all of us have an obsession with texting. If I finished with a girlfriend it was face to face. If I resigned from my job it would be via formal letter of resignation.

Well you sound very mature and sensible, probably not got any tattoos.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 20 Sep 2018 22:46

lightning strikes
Zip

I’m 54 my darling sans tattoos. Old school, I suppose.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 20 Sep 2018 23:11

Zip
lightning strikes
Zip

I’m 54 my darling sans tattoos. Old school, I suppose.

Eh? I’d heard you’ve got one of Michael Meaker on your cock.

MoorgateRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by MoorgateRoyal » 21 Sep 2018 09:15

From what I saw:

Walker - 4. No real chance on the first but the second I thought he was in a poor position, although arguably it shouldn't have mattered as the ball should've been cleared. Doesn't look very commanding.
Gunter - 2. So, so poor. Needs to take responsibility as a senior member of the team, but he was poor defensively and shit going forward.
Moore - 4. Got in the way of a bit and didn't fanny about with the ball as much as before but like Gunter didn't take responsibility when it mattered.
Ilori - 5. Was poor on the second goal but reasonable elsewhere.
Yiadom - 4. Didn't offer a lot going forward and was OK defensively, but again as a senior player who should be a leader, he didn't do enough. Should be at right back anyway.
Bacuna - 2. Woeful. Not interested and needs getting out of this side. Meyler's shit but at least he tries.
Kelly - 4. Not good in the first half but he started the second well and looked to be getting into it a bit, then was taken off before he could kick on.
Swift - 4. Better than previously and he seems to be fitter than before but he should be doing better against a team like Norwich
Meite - 5. Very raw, and possibly not good enough at this level, but he works his bollocks off and in this team, that's worth something. Would've been a 6 if that shot had gone in, or the other one had knocked Aluko out.
Aluko - 10. Provided all the entertainment. Getting hit in the face by your team-mate's shot, then standing on the ball and falling over and finally hitting the post on an open goal when the game was stopped. He's laughably gash and has no brain or ability. But he's funny to watch and he looks like a dolphin.
Baldock - 4. Did the best he could with very little support and in an unnatural position. Should have shot a lot earlier when Barrow (I think) put him through.

Subs:
JDB - 5. Scored.
Sims - 5. Direct and positive and should be starting.
Barrow - 4. Didn't really come off for him but if he's fit, he should be playing.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 21 Sep 2018 09:23

Why have you given Walker a 4 when he didn't put a foot wrong? Very odd opinion, can't have seen the game.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 21 Sep 2018 09:51

A lot of bollocks in that. He was called by Martin O'Neill multiple times and was left several voicemails. He was childish not to get back to him after the first call.

Kelly claims it was a "family discussion" that stopped him from going and that he might consider it in the future so it's clearly not about him "not feeling Irish" or not wanting to take the place of someone who is Irish.

Who quits via text??

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 21 Sep 2018 09:59

Old Man Andrews
Forbury Lion
Old Man Andrews Where has the club captain disappeared to? Not a peep out of him. He chirps up on an almost daily basis when things are going well but like the other players he tucks his tail between his legs and runs when things go downhill. He is a disgrace.
Maybe he has more time on his hands to do things like chatting to the media when we are doing well and when things are not going well he finds himself busy trying to motivate his team mates/boost morale/work on his own game when things are not going so well?

If you actually believe that then you're an idiot, which you aren't so it surprises me you'd suggest it.

McShane is a hider, he has shirked his responsibilities.
I'm just offering an alternative view.

I don't care if our team captain never speaks to the media again, it's what they bring to the role and the team that counts. If as you are suggesting he isn't up to the job of captain and more importantly, if we have someone else better suited to the role then you have to blame the manager for sticking with him.... personally, I don't think there is anyone better suited to the role at the club who wants it. I would prefer a captain who is a regular in the starting IX though.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 21 Sep 2018 10:06

NewCorkSeth

A lot of bollocks in that. He was called by Martin O'Neill multiple times and was left several voicemails. He was childish not to get back to him after the first call.

Kelly claims it was a "family discussion" that stopped him from going and that he might consider it in the future so it's clearly not about him "not feeling Irish" or not wanting to take the place of someone who is Irish.

Who quits via text??

He should be honoured that somebody of Martin O'Neill's stature would even want to speak to him. Liam Kelly would have been with Roy Keane every day on the training pitch, Keano would completely beast someone like him. Truth is Kelly is a lazy little shit who hasn't got the ability to play international football.

MoorgateRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by MoorgateRoyal » 21 Sep 2018 10:10

Old Man Andrews Why have you given Walker a 4 when he didn't put a foot wrong? Very odd opinion, can't have seen the game.

Because I have a different opinion to you.

I thought he was in a poor position on the second goal and didn't look very commanding overall. He didn't really do a lot to bump his score up either.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 21 Sep 2018 10:11

MoorgateRoyal
Old Man Andrews Why have you given Walker a 4 when he didn't put a foot wrong? Very odd opinion, can't have seen the game.

Because I have a different opinion to you.

I thought he was in a poor position on the second goal and didn't look very commanding overall. He didn't really do a lot to bump his score up either.

What exactly would you have liked him to have done to bump it up?

I have to question your football knowledge I'm afraid, especially your knowledge on goalkeeping. Appears to be very limited.

206 posts