On this day

413 posts
oldebiscuit

Re: On this day

by oldebiscuit » 02 Aug 2020 20:48

Mid Sussex Royal 50 years ago today 1st Aug 1970, and on a Saturday, Reading 2-3 Man United featuring Best, Charlton, Law & co, first round Watney Cup.

This was the first sponsored competition in English football was run pre season for the highest scoring sides from the previous season.

I was a bit too young to go but I do remember it on Sunday ITV the next day

Anyone go?

I remember going. Football hooliganism was in its infancy and the Skinhead era was in full swing. Man Utd were the original and top hooligans at the time and as youngsters my parents and my friends parents were very concerned about us all going. Man Utd fans had arrived the night before and there were quite a few broken windows in Waverley Road.
However, the aim of hooligans then was purely to take the home end (The Southbank) and confiscate opposition scarves as trophies. Although Reading had a mob of Skins in the Southbank, it was no problem for the Utd mob who easily achieved their object and spent the next 90 minutes singing all the old songs and enjoying their supremacy.
As a young lad, I was able to sit on the wall pitch side and enjoy the game without fear of the hooligans who were already quite content with their days work.

LUX
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by LUX » 03 Aug 2020 11:30

Snowflake Royal like Death, Habin and Cummings.

Death, Habbin and Cumming

great great players, I loved them but, like the best ever, Robin Friday, they were fourth division players. Happy days.

Gordon Cumming ended up serving in a greasy spoon/tea bar at Henley station.

Broxroyal

by Broxroyal » 03 Aug 2020 13:23

Sutekh
The Royal Forester Yes, as it was half a century ago, I can't remember much about the game except it was a massive crowd, probably the highest attendance I was in at Elm Park and The Biscuitmen did well and gave the Mighty U's a bit of a fright. It was the only time I saw Denis Law, Bobby Charlton etc. "in the flesh"

Between 18000 and 19000 attendance I believe.

Extensive (54 mins) of highlights on youtube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SSThDu5_zOg

Many Thanks indeed for posting the youtube highlights. I was at that game, - very entertaining it was too. We all thought Chappell had snatched a late equaliser but Stepney made the save. I was right behind that goal .

Mid Sussex Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Mid Sussex Royal » 03 Aug 2020 13:39

LUX

great great players, I loved them but, like the best ever, Robin Friday, they were fourth division players. Happy days.

That's interesting - I thought Gordon set up a double glazing business? I remember him saying in an interview a few years ago that the wages they were paid back then were no higher than an average wage of the time...

LUX
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by LUX » 03 Aug 2020 14:59

Mid Sussex Royal
LUX

That's interesting - I thought Gordon set up a double glazing business? I remember him saying in an interview a few years ago that the wages they were paid back then were no higher than an average wage of the time...

this was summer 1979

South Coast Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by South Coast Royal » 03 Aug 2020 15:11

Ark Royal
Jerry St Clair A quarter of a century ago :shock: today we enjoyed our greatest away performance ever. The goal highlights don't do it justice - we were brilliant that day.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MwxI5e06HXU

Breathtaking and we utterly destroyed Tranmere. The best away performance I ever witnessed.

Same here.
We were really, really good and on that form would not have been disgraced as a top level team.
The shame was that the players were knackered/ injured when we met Bolton at Wembley.

I never understood how Lee Nogan faded so quickly during the next season and just eventually drifted away.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 04 Aug 2020 22:49

Sutekh
The Royal Forester Yes, as it was half a century ago, I can't remember much about the game except it was a massive crowd, probably the highest attendance I was in at Elm Park and The Biscuitmen did well and gave the Mighty U's a bit of a fright. It was the only time I saw Denis Law, Bobby Charlton etc. "in the flesh"

Between 18000 and 19000 attendance I believe.

Extensive (54 mins) of highlights on youtube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SSThDu5_zOg

I really enjoyed this. Jimmy Hill saying Reading played like Brazil 70. Lovely stuff.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 05 Aug 2020 10:24

South Coast Royal
Ark Royal
Jerry St Clair A quarter of a century ago :shock: today we enjoyed our greatest away performance ever. The goal highlights don't do it justice - we were brilliant that day.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MwxI5e06HXU

Breathtaking and we utterly destroyed Tranmere. The best away performance I ever witnessed.

Same here.
We were really, really good and on that form would not have been disgraced as a top level team.
The shame was that the players were knackered/ injured when we met Bolton at Wembley.

I never understood how Lee Nogan faded so quickly during the next season and just eventually drifted away.

Yeah that was one of the best RFC performances. It was mrs leons grandfathers 90th birthday party - he knew how much it meant to me so he set up the portable TV upstairs and kept checking up on the score and seeing how we were doing, during the party. Despite the raised eyebrows of the family.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 06 Aug 2020 11:12

oldebiscuit
Mid Sussex Royal 50 years ago today 1st Aug 1970, and on a Saturday, Reading 2-3 Man United featuring Best, Charlton, Law & co, first round Watney Cup.

This was the first sponsored competition in English football was run pre season for the highest scoring sides from the previous season.

I was a bit too young to go but I do remember it on Sunday ITV the next day

Anyone go?

I remember going. Football hooliganism was in its infancy and the Skinhead era was in full swing. Man Utd were the original and top hooligans at the time and as youngsters my parents and my friends parents were very concerned about us all going. Man Utd fans had arrived the night before and there were quite a few broken windows in Waverley Road.
However, the aim of hooligans then was purely to take the home end (The Southbank) and confiscate opposition scarves as trophies. Although Reading had a mob of Skins in the Southbank, it was no problem for the Utd mob who easily achieved their object and spent the next 90 minutes singing all the old songs and enjoying their supremacy.
As a young lad, I was able to sit on the wall pitch side and enjoy the game without fear of the hooligans who were already quite content with their days work.

Hooligans :)

Reminds me of one of my favourite clips from Bill Hicks about English hooligans....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mA6hMFZ-gx0

URZZZZZZZZ
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Long knocks it back in.............IT'S READING WHO TAKE A MASSIVE STEP TOWARDS WEMBLEY!!

by URZZZZZZZZ » 09 Aug 2020 07:55

Up and running in 05/06 8)

https://www.royals.org/matdoc/090805.html

Lovely August evening at the athletics stadium

WoodleyRoyal
Hob Nob Addict
Location: when was the last time you did something for the first time?

by WoodleyRoyal » 25 Aug 2020 07:55

8 years ago today Sunderland away water logged pitch

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 25 Aug 2020 08:01

WoodleyRoyal 8 years ago today Sunderland away water logged pitch

Still think that played a fairly big part in us going down that year. Meant we went there with a threadbare squad instead of going there off the back of a very decent (if losing) performance at Chelsea - would have fancied us winning that day.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 25 Aug 2020 12:31

Stranded

Still think that played a fairly big part in us going down that year. Meant we went there with a threadbare squad instead of going there off the back of a very decent (if losing) performance at Chelsea - would have fancied us winning that day.

Same.

URZZZZZZZZ
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Long knocks it back in.............IT'S READING WHO TAKE A MASSIVE STEP TOWARDS WEMBLEY!!

by URZZZZZZZZ » 25 Aug 2020 12:43

Stranded

100%

Momentum is so important for promoted clubs, and it meant we went 3 and a half weeks without a game after that impressive Chelsea performance (which we were a tad unlucky to lose). It also resulted in that horrible December fixture where Guthrie refused to go and we ended up playing Samuel.

Had we played Sunderland and won, the monkey which eventually was on our back of not winning a game wouldn’t have been there at all. You then consider whether tight draws against Norwich, Newcastle and Swansea could have been wins, and I reckon we would have been in a much better position.

Sunderland should have been docked points for none fulfilment of a fixture for that. The rain was so heavy that a match should be postponed, it was because they had hosted a series of gigs a few weeks before.

KC Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by KC Royal » 25 Aug 2020 17:30

Remember being on holiday when the news came through that that Sunderland game was called off and how disappointed I was. Even then it felt significant, weeks until the next game and felt like that was the time to face them.

WoodleyRoyal
Hob Nob Addict
Location: when was the last time you did something for the first time?

by WoodleyRoyal » 25 Aug 2020 19:36

Yes Adam Johnston (wonder what happened to him) was in his prime head and shoulders their best player. He was suspended/injured for that game we had a real chance of grabbing some points. The rest they say is history

Fox Talbot
Hob Nob Regular

by Fox Talbot » 28 Aug 2020 12:45

100 years ago - Newport away, first league win, anyone there? Vic?

https://www.readingfc.co.uk/news/2020/a ... ague-club/

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 01 Oct 2020 09:03

On this day 15 years ago was probably the first time I really thought, "yeah, we could get promoted here"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZTVrQuByNs

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 01 Oct 2020 09:18

Hendo On this day 15 years ago was probably the first time I really thought, "yeah, we could get promoted here"

2 things always remember about that game. Kenny stopping a certain own goal outside his area with his hand and just getting a yellow but the ref evening it up by turning down a Sheff Utd penalty late on when Harper kicked Gillespie 10ft in the air.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 01 Oct 2020 09:20

Stranded
Hendo On this day 15 years ago was probably the first time I really thought, "yeah, we could get promoted here"

2 things always remember about that game. Kenny stopping a certain own goal outside his area with his hand and just getting a yellow but the ref evening it up by turning down a Sheff Utd penalty late on when Harper kicked Gillespie 10ft in the air.

Yep. 2 really shocking decisions.

413 posts