BFT - I don’t know what to call it

144 posts
biff

Re: BFT - I don’t know what to call it

by biff » 03 Oct 2018 00:49

Meite is the new Mathieu Manset. Playing with too many half players doing half jobs. There are small margins in professional football, without playing wingers that cant cross and midfielders under 5 foot 6. Swings the match in the oppositions favour before youve kicked off.

Top Flight
Hob Nob Regular

by Top Flight » 03 Oct 2018 00:51

Zip
Top Flight
Zip
I think you are being very generous to Clement. He clearly isn’t motivating them as they are coming out of the traps so slowly. The formation was woeful tonight. He did nothing to change things throughout the first half. Would you stick with him if we go down?

Not even Coppell would be able to motivate this lot. Coppell's answer is to recruit the right people in the first place. The right characters. People that have something to prove.

I don't think any manager, Guardiola included would be able to get more from this group than Clement.

The job that Clement faces is a minimum three year project. If Clement goes and someone else comes in it will take them at least three years as well and results in the first two years will look very dodgy again. Each time we sack a manager we just restart the RFC project from square one and begin another three year wait. We keep putting back the glory days every time we kick a manager out the door. If we had shown patience to McDermott and he was still our manager today, we would be watching a very hungry, motivated full of desire Reading team. But we keep prolonging this agony by sacking our managers and never giving them a chance to build a club.

Patience is the only word for this. Patience. We have to show it.

So if he takes us down do you still back him? I’m not saying I disagree with your comments above but relegation would be a disaster with zero guarantee we would bounce back.

I don't think that we are going to go down. I think he will get it together this season. The results have improved.
Yes, we are inconsistent. He made changes tonight (reintroduced Aluko and Kelly) and saw us go back to our old ways. He is finding out about people and the players. I think he is starting to find out what the right blend is and the right formula of players.

I think he will get it right. It's still too early to judge his managerial capabilities. But when he talks, he shows that he understands what has gone wrong and what the problems are. Unlike Stam for example who didn't seem able to put his finger on it.

If he takes us down, would I still back him? That depends on the circumstances of how we went down. If we go down having played Aluko every week and Aluko continues to underperform when there is a solution in Sims not getting a chance then Clement's decisions start to look indefensible. But we are no where near that at the moment. Let's judge Clement later when he has had a fair crack of the whip. At the moment, from what I can see, he is doing an excellent job in very difficult circumstances.

Jackson Corner
Hob Nob Regular

by Jackson Corner » 03 Oct 2018 03:13

The latest chapter in terrible Reading/QPR games. Which we nearly always lose 1-0. 40 years of watching Reading I'm really not sure how much more of this crap I can take. I've given Clement the benefit of the doubt. After the Hull game our best performance of the season he left out Aluko and Gunter finally the penny has dropped. Then for no reason other than to freshen things up he brings them back. And what do we get total crap again. Jesus christ if someone like me with no managerial experience can see it then why can't he? Losing bod and Baldock was unfortunate but why leave Sim and Mcnulty on the bench ? I'm begining to wish we got relegated last season then at least we wouldn't have to suffer another season of shite as make no mistake with this manager and that overpaid shower we will be going down.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 03 Oct 2018 07:21

Feel some of the reaction is a little over the top. The game before we got a good draw at Brentford following a decent jon win.

Yesterday was sh1t and as said, the Aluko selection was an absolute rancid decision which cost us the game imo. He sucks the energy out of the entire side, and am baffled by what position he was meant to be playing

However there is a reasonable side taking shape and surely Clement can now see how wrong he was in his Kelly and Aluko selection.

Pretty confident we won’t go down or even be close to it. It’s just getting our best 11 out each week

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 03 Oct 2018 07:27

Zip
Top Flight
Zip I was also annoyed by Clement’s refusal to bring Swift and Sims on until after QPR scored. They were both on the touch line waiting to come in for over five minutes.

I think it was because of the corners that QPR had. He didn't want to make changes and bring players on who are not exactly known for their defensive aerial capabilities whilst Rangers were lining up these corners. He wanted to make the change when the ball was out of harms way for a throw in. To be fair, I thought Clement was right not to bring on the pint sized Sims and the attacking, not defensive midfielder Swift when we had two corners to defend. It was only recently at Preston where we conceded immediately after making a substitution.

The fact that we were unable to defend the corners anyway and let in a goal was extremely frustrating and infuriating for Clement and all of us.

They were both standing on the touch line for about three minutes before the fakes had their corners though.

Did the ball go out of play in that time?

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 03 Oct 2018 07:35

Zip On 87 minutes Moore slowly brings the ball out of defence before playing a sideways pass. The ball is then passed forward then back again and then sideways again. Were we 1 up at the time?

Defenders don't do this for no reason. QPR had sat back and packed their final third and had no intention of coming out to press. They'd squeezed the size of the pitch they were defending and our players were tired. There were very few passing options for Moore that didn't risk a turnover and counter attack because of tight marking in numbers, no space and a lack of movement.

For your earlier question to TF about Clement, I'd back him if we get relegated because I don't think the manager is a major part of the problem and our record shows we won't hire anyone better. Even if we do, the players, medical team and recruitment are the main problem so they'll have the same problems as Clement.

bloody Volvo driver

by bloody Volvo driver » 03 Oct 2018 07:42

Anyone else notice how many of our front 6 bothered to sprint back when QPR broke around the 40 minute mark following Aluko’s rancid pea roller cross. Grand total of one, Eza. After Walker had parried their first shot and their second ended up in row Z, I wondered where the help was. Aluko, Kelly, Barrow, Bacuna and Meite (perhaps more understandable) were all on the halfway line after making zero effort to ‘get back’. Not exactly all hands to the pump which you might expect when suffering a quick break from the opposition.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 03 Oct 2018 08:00

Snowflake Royal
Zip
Top Flight
I think it was because of the corners that QPR had. He didn't want to make changes and bring players on who are not exactly known for their defensive aerial capabilities whilst Rangers were lining up these corners. He wanted to make the change when the ball was out of harms way for a throw in. To be fair, I thought Clement was right not to bring on the pint sized Sims and the attacking, not defensive midfielder Swift when we had two corners to defend. It was only recently at Preston where we conceded immediately after making a substitution.

The fact that we were unable to defend the corners anyway and let in a goal was extremely frustrating and infuriating for Clement and all of us.

They were both standing on the touch line for about three minutes before the fakes had their corners though.

Did the ball go out of play in that time?

Before QPRs first corner but after Swift and Sims had been confirmed as coming on? Yes for a throw in in the QPR half.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 03 Oct 2018 08:14

Disgusted by that display. Poor management and players who couldn't give a single f*ck about the club giving 20% effort all over the pitch. Club is oxf*rd.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 03 Oct 2018 08:17

Snowflake Royal
Zip On 87 minutes Moore slowly brings the ball out of defence before playing a sideways pass. The ball is then passed forward then back again and then sideways again. Were we 1 up at the time?

Defenders don't do this for no reason. QPR had sat back and packed their final third and had no intention of coming out to press. They'd squeezed the size of the pitch they were defending and our players were tired. There were very few passing options for Moore that didn't risk a turnover and counter attack because of tight marking in numbers, no space and a lack of movement.

For your earlier question to TF about Clement, I'd back him if we get relegated because I don't think the manager is a major part of the problem and our record shows we won't hire anyone better. Even if we do, the players, medical team and recruitment are the main problem so they'll have the same problems as Clement.

Clement, like the team, look lost.

An actual manager would never pick Gunter and Alluko in the same team.

And for all those saying the reaction is over the top - we have 9 points from 11 games. Isn’t after 10 games when you get a picture of how things are going?

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal_jimmy » 03 Oct 2018 08:26

Flacid, slow and just generally poor again. We were always against it when Bodvarsson and Baldock were injured. We're always going to struggle to get on the front foot with Yakou Meite alone up front. McNulty must be regretting leaving Coventry now. Having said that about Marc, I don't think he's the kind of forward who would thrive in this system anyway. We just don't have a go at the opposition these days, especially at home.

I like Clement but my patience is running thin too. Awful selections when Sims for example was in decent form. Wouldn't blame
Southampton if they recalled him as he's way too good for this basketcase team.

Lose the next 2 and I can see Clement going. Hopefully any incoming manager can see that Aluko, Meite, Kelly and Gunter just aren't up to it

Don't Panic

by Don't Panic » 03 Oct 2018 08:35

Utter, utter drivel. I feel for Clement, at the same time I wonder where his managerial skills are. He doesn't seem to motivate the team, he admitted he got the selection wrong last night. He may be a good coach, he is not a good manager.

Having said that I am not yet in the Clement out camp, last night he admitted his mistake, I just hope he learns from it. If Aluko is anywhere near this team in the future, Clement needs shooting. Don't make the same mistake again (Einsteins definition of insanity, or whoever said it for the picky).

If he has learned from his mistakes, then happy to draw a line under last night and move on. If he repeats the same mistake, then I will change camps.

paddy20
Hob Nob Regular

by paddy20 » 03 Oct 2018 08:39

Top Flight
leon
Top Flight Another awful performance at home. Another opportunity to win a game of football against a beatable team wasted.

How Aluko was selected for the game, I just don't really understand it. Clement explained that players were cramping up on Saturday at Griffin Park so he decided to make some changes, rotate the squad and keep things as fresh as possible. But how that allows Aluko back in, I just don't know. Sims has made an impact in every game he has played for us apart from perhaps tonight. He didn't start at Griffin despite playing very well against Hull and making a big impact in numerous games especially to set up the winner at Preston. I thought Sims should have started tonight.

However, as much as I think Clement could have done better tonight with his team selection and will quite fairly be criticised for it, I do believe Clement is very much the right man to turn our club around. I think his management of the club until this point has been outstanding. He is doing a good job and it is a very difficult job at that.

He is very honest and he knows what the problems are. Aluko was, once upon a time a very good player, he is also our record signing. Clement dropped Aluko for two games and showed him that he will drop him if he carries on under performing. He gave Aluko another chance tonight to have a way back in. But, sadly Aluko has again failed to put a performance in and Clement has no obligation to Aluko to play him again on Saturday. I would think that Aluko is now further away from a first team start than ever. He was dropped, then given another chance to deliver a performance and then failed again. I doubt Clement will give Aluko another opportunity anytime soon.

This is going to be a long and tough job for Clement to get us back on the right track, playing good football with desire and hunger in the way that Brentford demonstrated on Saturday. He will need numerous transfer windows and good recruiting. He will need a thick skin and will have to ignore alot of the bull sh*t that will be spouted on HNA and in the twittersphere.

Its better if we can just be patient and keep our moaning and whining to a minimum. But we are football fans at the end of the day and it is our job to talk total b*llocks. The important thing is that Gourlay, Clement and the owners take our words with a large pinch of salt and make sure they back our manager with the time and money to sort out the mess. Whilst, we often continue to be dreadful on the pitch, there are signs that Clement is turning this ship around.

Let's keep the faith and support the Royals even more now. That is what they need. They need our unconditional support.

Totally disagree. Poor team selections. As Stam did, tinkers with with personel so we end up with inconsistent performances lacking in any confidence or focus. The team lacks motivation and any real personality.

Results and performances have been exceptionally poor with no real progress. Every time we have had a chance to pull away from trouble we throw it away. Tonight being a perfect example.

The teams we have lost to this season have been shocking.

The manager doesn’t seem to have any answers. I’m struggling to see any outcome other than relegation.

He explained on Berks that players were cramping up at Brentford and were very tired.

But, still, Sims should have started ahead of Aluko. Sims didn't start at Brentford and wouldn't have been one of the tired, cramping up players.

Clement is learning his lessons with Aluko. He doesn't seem like a manager that is totally stumped and hasn't got any idea how to put things right. I think he knows exactly what is wrong and I think he knows how to put it right. The problem is he can't put it right on his own. He needs the help and support of others. The current failings at RFC are not Clements failings. These failings are going on around him, below him and above him. Sacking Clement won't solve anything. He is the one we need to back. Clement can only solve the problems if he is supported by Gourley, the owners and by us supporters as well.

Whats wrong with our training if fit professionals can't play two games in a week? As soon as the team sheet was read out we knew we were in trouble. Also where was Oshea? I thought he only had a one match ban. Why can't Clement work out that if a certain team plays well (Hull) try and keep it!

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 03 Oct 2018 08:41

leon
Snowflake Royal

Clement, like the team, look lost.

An actual manager would never pick Gunter and Alluko in the same team.

And for all those saying the reaction is over the top - we have 9 points from 11 games. Isn’t after 10 games when you get a picture of how things are going?

Rare fully agreed with Leon.

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 03 Oct 2018 08:42

abysmal. a lack of quality is obvious but a lack of purpose and energy just compounds it.

Also thought the ref was nowhere near as bad as the Madejski spazmo's were making out. The 2 penalty claims that resulted in yellow cards for us looked correct calls from where I was sitting.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 03 Oct 2018 08:43

QPR were bad, we were worse, the ref was the worst.

Strangely defensively we seemed fine just incapable once the ball was brought out.

The ref ensured we would go home unhappy. Several calls were completely wrong. Several. He should be fined. Boo.

Walker - 6 - I think I've said it Every time he's played but his distribution is so, so poor. He's good enough at everything else but cannot pass a long ball out at all. I know people will say "he doesn't have much to aim at" which is true but he can't aim. He missed Meite several time and kicked it straight out of play.. Not saying it's the right decision but I wouldn't be surprised to see Mannone start the next game.

Gunter - 6 - Poor first half but did really well in the second. Moved well, passed well and even crossed well. Like a different player. He was comically unable to get close to Bidwell who put in some good crosses.

Ilori - 7 - Again he did well enough. He's a quality player. Great passing, great acceleration for the intercept late in the second half and put in a peach of a cross too.

Moore - 7 - I think the only slip up he made was his literal slip. Can't really blame him or Ilori for the goal I don't think (I have to watch it again). I'm pretty sure he WON every header that came his way.

Yiadom - 7 - MOTM. He was great again. Attacked well and defended well. Considering almost all their attacks came down his flank and none of them succeeded I'd call that a job done. Needs to play on his strong side. Please.

Ezatolahi - 6 - The golden boy was a little more brass last night. He was still fine up to a point but struggled mainly because of the players in front of him. His midfield partners were reason we lost the game not him. Did give away a couple of silly frees.

Bacuna - 5 - Really poor. Just nothing clicked for him and he left his teammates stranded with late passes. He moved into poor positions when off the ball and I don't recall him doing much in defense.

Kelly - 4 - What was he doing? Was that really our plan? Send Kelly up high when he has no ability to retain a ball and terrible close control? Yes he did that one control on his outstretched leg in the second half but that's rare to see from him. After about 10 minutes of the game he should have realised "I'm ineffective up here" and come back to help control the centre of the park. Awful.

Aluko - I refuse to talk about him unroll he is either on the bench or on someone else's payroll.

Barrow - 5 - literally did nothing the entire first half. Was marked out so well by Rangel. Got a bit better in the second half. Really was ineffective but should have won a free for a blatant foul in the second.

Meite - 7 - He actually did alright. It wasn't his fault nobody supported him. He came close twice and tried his hardest. All you can ask of a last minute replacement striker. Clearly needs time to fulfil his potential though. He can win any header but can't place them to save his life.

Subs:

Swift - 7 - His introduction was the only positive thing last night. He played well despite the mood on the pitch.

Sims - 5 - That was your moment Sims. Your chance to prove once and for all that you are better than Aluko. You could have finally knocked him out of the team. You were almost worse than him instead.

McNulty - 4 - His few touches on the ball were amongst the worst of the night.

paddy20
Hob Nob Regular

by paddy20 » 03 Oct 2018 08:43

Shouldn't Clements have already learned from his mistakes at Swansea and less so Derby. He's there to solve problems not just own up to them. Its getting to the stage where we should be looking at some progress from last year by now. Sadly we seem to be going backwards.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 03 Oct 2018 08:45

NewCorkSeth QPR were bad, we were worse, the ref was the worst.

Strangely defensively we seemed fine just incapable once the ball was brought out.

The ref ensured we would go home unhappy. Several calls were completely wrong. Several. He should be fined. Boo.

Walker - 6 - I think I've said it Every time he's played but his distribution is so, so poor. He's good enough at everything else but cannot pass a long ball out at all. I know people will say "he doesn't have much to aim at" which is true but he can't aim. He missed Meite several time and kicked it straight out of play.. Not saying it's the right decision but I wouldn't be surprised to see Mannone start the next game.

Gunter - 6 - Poor first half but did really well in the second. Moved well, passed well and even crossed well. Like a different player. He was comically unable to get close to Bidwell who put in some good crosses.

Ilori - 7 - Again he did well enough. He's a quality player. Great passing, great acceleration for the intercept late in the second half and put in a peach of a cross too.

Moore - 7 - I think the only slip up he made was his literal slip. Can't really blame him or Ilori for the goal I don't think (I have to watch it again). I'm pretty sure he WON every header that came his way.

Yiadom - 7 - MOTM. He was great again. Attacked well and defended well. Considering almost all their attacks came down his flank and none of them succeeded I'd call that a job done. Needs to play on his strong side. Please.

Ezatolahi - 6 - The golden boy was a little more brass last night. He was still fine up to a point but struggled mainly because of the players in front of him. His midfield partners were reason we lost the game not him. Did give away a couple of silly frees.

Bacuna - 5 - Really poor. Just nothing clicked for him and he left his teammates stranded with late passes. He moved into poor positions when off the ball and I don't recall him doing much in defense.

Kelly - 4 - What was he doing? Was that really our plan? Send Kelly up high when he has no ability to retain a ball and terrible close control? Yes he did that one control on his outstretched leg in the second half but that's rare to see from him. After about 10 minutes of the game he should have realised "I'm ineffective up here" and come back to help control the centre of the park. Awful.

Aluko - I refuse to talk about him unroll he is either on the bench or on someone else's payroll.

Barrow - 5 - literally did nothing the entire first half. Was marked out so well by Rangel. Got a bit better in the second half. Really was ineffective but should have won a free for a blatant foul in the second.

Meite - 7 - He actually did alright. It wasn't his fault nobody supported him. He came close twice and tried his hardest. All you can ask of a last minute replacement striker. Clearly needs time to fulfil his potential though. He can win any header but can't place them to save his life.

Subs:

Swift - 7 - His introduction was the only positive thing last night. He played well despite the mood on the pitch.

Sims - 5 - That was your moment Sims. Your chance to prove once and for all that you are better than Aluko. You could have finally knocked him out of the team. You were almost worse than him instead.

McNulty - 4 - His few touches on the ball were amongst the worst of the night.

Sorry pal, you're being a bit generous there. I thought Yiadom was very sloppy early on and put us in danger a lot. Improved as time went on but not MOTM for me. Meite was shocking, terrible dive and some woeful shooting. Can't give him any more than a 5.

Coppells Lost Coat
Hob Nob Regular

by Coppells Lost Coat » 03 Oct 2018 08:45

Negatives.
Line up - we lost that game before a ball was kicked - Bod getting injured in the warm up just sums up how Reading have been in the last 18 months.
Barrow is starting to annoy me, he has zero end product. Getting sick of him throwing himself to the ground.
Aluko getting more minutes.
Kelly disappearance
Another crap first half.
What the oxf*rd is wrong with getting a decent ball in the box.

Positives.
Thought Bacuna and Eza did well considering what was going on around them.
I do feel for Meite, he puts everything in and was a little bit unlucky.
McNulty getting minutes and not looking too out of place at this level.
For about 20 mins we actually showed some fight.
Gunter not looking shit.

Dr_Hfuhruhurr
Hob Nob Addict

by Dr_Hfuhruhurr » 03 Oct 2018 08:51

Is there a good resource for points per game by player? I'd like to see what they are for Aluko and how'd they compare. Normally I roll my eyes at Scape goats but can't help feeling this one might be justified.

144 posts