New Manager

1436 posts
Hound
Hob Nob Legend

Re: New Manager

by Hound » 09 Dec 2018 17:31

Coming round to the idea of this Castro chap, but he must be given some proper time to turn things round, even if it means a relegation.

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 09 Dec 2018 17:36

Hound Coming round to the idea of this Castro chap, but he must be given some proper time to turn things round, even if it means a relegation.

Like our fans will give him that? you know damn well if he doesn`t get a win in his first 5 games they will be calling for his head on a stick.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 09 Dec 2018 18:03

Well tutting on here with the odd alcohol fuelled rant (no names mentioned) maybe

The crowd were pretty patient with Stam and Clement considering. Don’t think I ever even heard a Clement Out chant etc

Twitter doesn’t count as it’s full of lonely 15 year olds

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 09 Dec 2018 18:24

You can watch Vitoria v Rio Ave on the B365 app, if anyone is interested in how his team sets up.

Gunny Fishcake
Hob Nob Regular

by Gunny Fishcake » 09 Dec 2018 18:33

The unknown Portuguese bloke is now 4/7 with Sky Bet I think those who are excited about this appointment if it happens are a tiny number and desperate . Of course he may be the messiah but I for one have no good feeling about this what so ever, not that my opinion is worth a flying toss. Our club imho is a laughing stock tumbling out of of control into the depths of obscurity.

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 09 Dec 2018 18:36

Vitoria are 2-1 up at HT, with a whopping 7 (SEVEN) shots on target. We're saved.

Ranty McRantface

by Ranty McRantface » 09 Dec 2018 18:50

Gunny Fishcake The unknown Portuguese bloke is now 4/7 with Sky Bet I think those who are excited about this appointment if it happens are a tiny number and desperate . Of course he may be the messiah but I for one have no good feeling about this what so ever, not that my opinion is worth a flying toss. Our club imho is a laughing stock tumbling out of of control into the depths of obscurity.

Desperate?!

The guy is an experienced manager who has performed brilliantly on next to no money, got the best out of his players and gives youth a chance. Yes, he can't speak English yet and he's not managed in this league before but we've had a lot worse. McDermott's only managerial experience came at Slough for christ sake and that turned into a promotion. Excluding Jokanovic who I think most of us would be happy with, the other candidates have hardly set the old alight. Bruce? Parkinson? Steven Reid? Marshall? Hughes? Pardew? Murty? Guidolin? Carvalhal?

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 09 Dec 2018 19:17

Ranty McRantface
Gunny Fishcake The unknown Portuguese bloke is now 4/7 with Sky Bet I think those who are excited about this appointment if it happens are a tiny number and desperate . Of course he may be the messiah but I for one have no good feeling about this what so ever, not that my opinion is worth a flying toss. Our club imho is a laughing stock tumbling out of of control into the depths of obscurity.

Desperate?!

The guy is an experienced manager who has performed brilliantly on next to no money, got the best out of his players and gives youth a chance. Yes, he can't speak English yet and he's not managed in this league before but we've had a lot worse. McDermott's only managerial experience came at Slough for christ sake and that turned into a promotion. Excluding Jokanovic who I think most of us would be happy with, the other candidates have hardly set the old alight. Bruce? Parkinson? Steven Reid? Marshall? Hughes? Pardew? Murty? Guidolin? Carvalhal?

+1. If not Jokanovic then happy enough with this chap

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 09 Dec 2018 19:19

I'm excited because I had q bit of money on when he was still 2/1.

Also lighten the f*ck up. No idea what you're talking about.

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 09 Dec 2018 19:25

windermereROYAL
Hound Coming round to the idea of this Castro chap, but he must be given some proper time to turn things round, even if it means a relegation.

Like our fans will give him that? you know damn well if he doesn`t get a win in his first 5 games they will be calling for his head on a stick.

A few in here were comfortable going down with Clement, and even staying down a few years, because it would be 'beneficial'. In fact, one poster said they didn't care what the results were or what division(s) we dropped to.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 09 Dec 2018 19:32

To be fair, Luis Castro does look to be, if not the stand out candidate, one of the stronger ones and his managerial record is not to be sniffed at.

My biggest concerns are the involvement of Kia Joorabchian and also a concern that Clement deserved more time and this is a continuation of the instability of the past 6 years. I do wonder where we would be if Stam had been sacked in January and Clement took over then.

However, for now I am happy to believe this is new brush sweeping clean and the foundations of some stability are being laid down under the guidance of someone with a strong and successful association with the club.

I do remember 26 years ago, someone else came into the club as it was sleepwalking into oblivion, overhauled the backroom staff and sacked an underachieving manager and that turned out all right.
Last edited by From Despair To Where? on 09 Dec 2018 19:41, edited 1 time in total.

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 09 Dec 2018 19:40

After being pegged back, Vitoria get an 89th minute winner, to make it 3-2.

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 09 Dec 2018 19:45

Denver Royal
windermereROYAL

A few in here were comfortable going down with Clement, and even staying down a few years, because it would be 'beneficial'. In fact, one poster said they didn't care what the results were or what division(s) we dropped to.

Bit more of a danger in dropping down if you're spunking several million, if the papers are to be believed, on the manager who's coming in and the next transfer window.

Dropping down with Clement would have meant a hit on the club. Dropping down with this guy could be fatal even if we spent half the reported amount.

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 09 Dec 2018 20:05

sandman
Denver Royal
windermereROYAL Like our fans will give him that? you know damn well if he doesn`t get a win in his first 5 games they will be calling for his head on a stick.

Bit more of a danger in dropping down if you're spunking several million, if the papers are to be believed, on the manager who's coming in and the next transfer window.
Dropping down with Clement would have meant a hit on the club. Dropping down with this guy could be fatal even if we spent half the reported amount.

I hear you, but if that's true, it brings up a few things. So there are millions available and the owners are willing to spend it? So why do people keep saying 'How would Steve Bruce (or any other 'big' name) do here with no money to spend?' And, uh, why wasn't more money made available to Clement over the Summer (in a bigger and longer window), given he had inherited what is (now, anyway) described as a dire team? Didn't they trust him with it? We were allegedly pretty much on a shoestring budget, 'his hands were tied', we signed L1 players and castoffs, and were maybe even trying to stay clear of fair play sanctions?
Last edited by Denver Royal on 09 Dec 2018 20:19, edited 2 times in total.

alfie9

by alfie9 » 09 Dec 2018 20:14

I'm very optimistic about Castro, I really doubt someone like Steve Bruce or Warburton or whoever could organize the dross we currently have at our disposal... we need creativity. Part of the reason we had success in Jaap's first season is that he took the league by surprise.

El Diablo

by El Diablo » 09 Dec 2018 20:16

Denver Royal
sandman
Denver Royal A few in here were comfortable going down with Clement, and even staying down a few years, because it would be 'beneficial'. In fact, one poster said they didn't care what the results were or what division(s) we dropped to.

Well, if that's true, it brings up a few things. So there are millions available and the owners are willing to spend it? So why do people keep saying 'How would Steve Bruce (or any other 'big' name) do here with no money to spend?' And, uh, why wasn't more money made available to Clement over the Summer (in a bigger and longer window)? Didn't they trust him with it?

More likely didn't trust Tevreden

IRjAy

by IRjAy » 09 Dec 2018 20:51

Castro to be confirmed Tuesday or Wednesday.

Slaviša Jokanović was approached, briefly spoken to, and we moved on.

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 09 Dec 2018 21:19

IRjAy Castro to be confirmed Tuesday or Wednesday.

Hi Jay. If you're that adamant, then you might want to lump on at evens with BV.

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 09 Dec 2018 21:29

Castro is due to make a statement on his future tomorrow, But I`m puzzled why he would leave a top flight 4th place team with full stadia to join a team struggling in the 2nd tier with a half empty stadium. we must be offering a large package.
Last edited by windermereROYAL on 09 Dec 2018 21:32, edited 1 time in total.

DOYLERSAROYALER
Hob Nob Regular

by DOYLERSAROYALER » 09 Dec 2018 21:31

IRjAy Castro to be confirmed Tuesday or Wednesday.

...and your source of the brief chat with Jokanovic was ?

1436 posts