New Manager

1436 posts
Old Man Andrews

Re: New Manager

by Old Man Andrews » 10 Dec 2018 12:38

Snowflake Royal
Old Man Andrews The link is very and clearly true, pretty obvious. I believe Castro is first choice but not sure it will happen. We should be focussing on managers who know the Football League and have a proven track record of getting the best out of very average players and who bring youth players through.

So Parky then.

Three years to stabilise and get us into boring mid table. Then see where we go from there in terms of getting back to the right end of the table.

Nope, wouldn't want anything to do with him in the Championship. He would be a very viable option should we go to League 1 because he'd be given a lot of time and patience. Relegation would mean a complete rebuild for us and I'd have no issues with him being the man doing that.
He's a club legend, I don't want that ruined by him not being able to rescue us this season.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 10 Dec 2018 12:46

Snowflake Royal
Silver Fox Isn't it plain to see that all the Castro stories (has there been more than one?) are being fed to the journo by Joorbachian, unfortunately as the journo in question is Charles Watts everybody is lapping it up

Him apparently sitting next to Howe at the game has added significant weight to the stories.

I don't think it was him

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 10 Dec 2018 12:58

genome
Hound Twitter doesn’t count as it’s full of lonely 15 year olds

I see they've all put Portuguese flags in their usernames

Saw this, I genuinely don’t get why people feel the need to do that, or change their pictures to a player/manager. It’s very odd.

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

by Silver Fox » 10 Dec 2018 13:00

Snowflake Royal
Silver Fox Isn't it plain to see that all the Castro stories (has there been more than one?) are being fed to the journo by Joorbachian, unfortunately as the journo in question is Charles Watts everybody is lapping it up

Him apparently sitting next to Howe at the game has added significant weight to the stories.

So there's a picture of this we can all see then?

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 10 Dec 2018 13:03

Hendo
genome
Hound Twitter doesn’t count as it’s full of lonely 15 year olds

Saw this, I genuinely don’t get why people feel the need to do that, or change their pictures to a player/manager. It’s very odd.

I understand that it's called "repping" in the youth parlance.

I'm not even 30 yet and I feel old.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 10 Dec 2018 13:03

Silver Fox
Snowflake Royal

You’d have thought there would be, wouldn’t you....

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 10 Dec 2018 13:04

genome
Hendo
genome

:roll:

Ok then. They can just carry on repping to their 40 followers.

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

by Silver Fox » 10 Dec 2018 13:05

Hendo
Silver Fox
Snowflake Royal Him apparently sitting next to Howe at the game has added significant weight to the stories.

If I was a press photographer or Sky producer at Saturday's game I'd like to think I'd have managed to get at least one snap of the directors box

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 10 Dec 2018 13:06

Hendo
genome
Hendo

:roll:

Ok then. They can just carry on repping to their 40 followers.

Also we are called "the ding" apparently

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 10 Dec 2018 13:29

Old Man Andrews We need Gareth Ainsworth. He's the long term answer and the club would be stupid not to approach Wycombe to at least speak to him.

https://twitter.com/TalkReading/status/ ... 0309601280

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 10 Dec 2018 13:30

genome
Old Man Andrews We need Gareth Ainsworth. He's the long term answer and the club would be stupid not to approach Wycombe to at least speak to him.

Sensible. Get the impression Nigel Howe has about 300 people on said list though.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 10 Dec 2018 13:31

Hoop Blah
URZZZZ First thing our new manager should do is have a massive clearout and that includes Moore, Swift, Barrow and Ilori, they could generate 20-25 million between them (somehow) which will give us funds to buy decent players.

£25m? I'm not convinced you'd get that if you managed to sell the whole squad!

I do agree we need a clear out and to get back to a smaller, and well balanced, squad. With all the changes at manager, DoF, CEO and Owner levels over the last few years we've ended up with a bloated squad full of, at best, very average players. The club needs structure and stability followed by some clear strategy and continuity. It isn't a quick fix.

I thought Clement was looking like a good man to lead us through a period of stabilisation and so I was disappointed to see him sacked. What we really need now is a decent manager who, backed by the board and owners, can manage that clear out and rebuild and be here for the long term (which means getting short term results too, I'm looking at you Mr Rodgers!).

Nothing about this chap Castro makes me think that he's the man for the job, or that the club see that as the job in hand, but only time will tell.

Prices really are inflated nowadays, Moore could somehow leave for about 10 million, Swift for 5 million and Ilori and Barrow for around 4 million each, you'd be surprised.

In all honesty, our squad has 31 first team players, including Loader and Rinomhota, this needs to be cut down to about 25 maximum and then if the new manager wants to make his own signings that's even more that needs to go. Some of Stam's signings and Clement's have been a massive waste of wages and transfer fees (Popa, Ilori, Clement, Edwards, Aluko, Meyler, Walker, McNulty) when they weren't really needed

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 10 Dec 2018 13:38

URZZZZ
Hoop Blah
URZZZZ First thing our new manager should do is have a massive clearout and that includes Moore, Swift, Barrow and Ilori, they could generate 20-25 million between them (somehow) which will give us funds to buy decent players.

I do agree we need a clear out and to get back to a smaller, and well balanced, squad. With all the changes at manager, DoF, CEO and Owner levels over the last few years we've ended up with a bloated squad full of, at best, very average players. The club needs structure and stability followed by some clear strategy and continuity. It isn't a quick fix.

I thought Clement was looking like a good man to lead us through a period of stabilisation and so I was disappointed to see him sacked. What we really need now is a decent manager who, backed by the board and owners, can manage that clear out and rebuild and be here for the long term (which means getting short term results too, I'm looking at you Mr Rodgers!).

Nothing about this chap Castro makes me think that he's the man for the job, or that the club see that as the job in hand, but only time will tell.

Prices really are inflated nowadays, Moore could somehow leave for about 10 million, Swift for 5 million and Ilori and Barrow for around 4 million each, you'd be surprised.

In all honesty, our squad has 31 first team players, including Loader and Rinomhota, this needs to be cut down to about 25 maximum and then if the new manager wants to make his own signings that's even more that needs to go. Some of Stam's signings and Clement's have been a massive waste of wages and transfer fees (Popa, Ilori, Clement, Edwards, Aluko, Meyler, Walker, McNulty) when they weren't really needed

Who on earth would buy any of our players? In all seriousness

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 10 Dec 2018 13:42

John Smith
URZZZZ
Hoop Blah

Who on earth would buy any of our players? In all seriousness

Some could go abroad (like Joey, Berens and Popa last season), I'm sure league one teams will be interested in Walker, Meyler, Edwards, Mcnulty and co. Some will be very hard to move on though, like Aluko. When I said we needed to trim the squad down, that's what I wanted, realistically only around 3 or 4 will leave at most

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 10 Dec 2018 13:48

Silver Fox
Hendo
Silver Fox

If I was a press photographer or Sky producer at Saturday's game I'd like to think I'd have managed to get at least one snap of the directors box

Yes, especially as they were quite able to snap the owners box, with them there. But nothing on this agent who was apparently at the game...

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 10 Dec 2018 14:06

URZZZZ
Hoop Blah

There's no way any of our players are going that kind of money in the near future, so I wouldn't just be surprised, I'd be absolutely amazed!!! Why would anyone pay £5m for Swift or £4m for Ilori or Barrow?

It's well and good talking up these fees and suggest League One clubs would be interested in our players, and I'm sure many would. I think we're still very good payers though so I doubt those clubs would be able to afford them.

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 10 Dec 2018 14:10

Hendo
Silver Fox
Hendo

Yes, especially as they were quite able to snap the owners box, with them there. But nothing on this agent who was apparently at the game...

Interesting picture of the owners box. the male owner was there in his red coat and Reading scarf looking bored out of his skull,
There was somebody behind him too that looked like he was asleep.

Wasn`t that the agent sitting next to Howe in the directors box?

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 10 Dec 2018 14:14

Old Man Andrews
genome

Sensible. Get the impression Nigel Howe has about 300 people on said list though.

Yeah, was rather hoping they had one specific bloke in mind, who they had identified and researched early doors prior to Clement going. Was alarmed the other day when Howe said 'We have nobody in mind' (assuming he was honest).

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 10 Dec 2018 14:15

Hoop Blah
URZZZZ
Hoop Blah

There's no way any of our players are going that kind of money in the near future, so I wouldn't just be surprised, I'd be absolutely amazed!!! Why would anyone pay £5m for Swift or £4m for Ilori or Barrow?

It's well and good talking up these fees and suggest League One clubs would be interested in our players, and I'm sure many would. I think we're still very good payers though so I doubt those clubs would be able to afford them.

Why did we sign Ilori for 4 million when he was completely unproven at this level?

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 10 Dec 2018 14:18

URZZZZ
Hoop Blah
URZZZZ

Why did we sign Ilori for 4 million when he was completely unproven at this level?

You could say that about anyone at any level who isn't an instant success.

1436 posts