New Manager

1436 posts
Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: New Manager

by Hoop Blah » 11 Dec 2018 20:11

It’s seems a lot of posters are being critical of the club for not appointing Jokanovic already.

He’d look like a good fit, but to get him in he’d have to want the job!

I’m not sure we’re a good enough proposition for him to be interested to be honest.

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 11 Dec 2018 20:11

DOYLERSAROYALER Totally agree but dear Nigel doesnt really understand that..he isnt a CEO with football knowledge..that was more down to the DoF feeding him the info, but in the absence of a DoF he finds himself rabbit in headlights..he sacked Clement and didnt think about the next step..Jokanovic would be on most Championships club had they needed a manager but bizarrely not on Nigels...unless Jok has a other job lined up of course

CEO's build teams around them with people they can trust. One suspects that the entire internal structure of the club needs addressing. To build a succcessfull club both on and off the pitch. The backroom staff will need to be buzzing as well. Everybody needs to be focussed on the same objectives. Performances that have been so dire, as Saturday illustrated. That starting afresh is probably the best way forward. Even the players get a final chance to prove that they want to be here at the club.

tmesis
Hob Nob Regular

by tmesis » 11 Dec 2018 20:14

Brain Traysers
royalp-we
From Despair To Where?
And George Graham and Howard Wilkinson are more successful than Martin O'Neill. Would you suggest them?

No I absolutely wouldn’t. But there’s a reason O’Neill has consistently been in management since 1987. He worked wonders with Wycombe, Leicester and Celtic then built a brilliant team at Villa finishing in the top 6 for 3 seasons running. The end of his tenure with Ireland hasn’t gone so well, but over 30yrs that’s pretty good record, right? I think we would see a bit more respect from the players than other managers coming in. You do realise he’s only been out of management since October?

I want Slavisa in anyway :lol:

MON is another old school manager who hasn't evolved as the game has. He follows a similar pattern to others- have success a long time ago - fail in club football, move to international (as less time to instill a style of play), fail at international, fizzle out.

File alongside Coleman (albeit with one spell of Gareth Bale magic), Strachan etc

Coppell was an old school manager. We played a style that was pretty much what he played in the 70s/80s.

loyalroyal4life
Hob Nob Addict

by loyalroyal4life » 11 Dec 2018 20:29

Hoop Blah It’s seems a lot of posters are being critical of the club for not appointing Jokanovic already.

He’d look like a good fit, but to get him in he’d have to want the job!

I’m not sure we’re a good enough proposition for him to be interested to be honest.

+1, probably most of the names touted won't be attracted to the Royals project

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 11 Dec 2018 20:46

Tbf sure there are teams in a far better position than us who would be a more attractive proposition for Jokanovic

No doubts was given a hefty pay off as well, so no need to rush back.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 11 Dec 2018 21:20

Hound Tbf sure there are teams in a far better position than us who would be a more attractive proposition for Jokanovic

Going into the Rotherham game without a manager is absolutely criminal. Completely dopey to sack a manager without having a replacement already signed up.

We have to go for Ainsworth now, he's worth a shot.

DelBoyRodders
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by DelBoyRodders » 11 Dec 2018 21:32

Old Man Andrews
Hound Tbf sure there are teams in a far better position than us who would be a more attractive proposition for Jokanovic

Going into the Rotherham game without a manager is absolutely criminal. Completely dopey to sack a manager without having a replacement already signed up.

Agreed. And something that Gourlay can’t be blamed for.
Total shambles!

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 11 Dec 2018 21:39

Lower West
DOYLERSAROYALER Totally agree but dear Nigel doesnt really understand that..he isnt a CEO with football knowledge..that was more down to the DoF feeding him the info, but in the absence of a DoF he finds himself rabbit in headlights..he sacked Clement and didnt think about the next step..Jokanovic would be on most Championships club had they needed a manager but bizarrely not on Nigels...unless Jok has a other job lined up of course

CEO's build teams around them with people they can trust. One suspects that the entire internal structure of the club needs addressing. To build a succcessfull club both on and off the pitch. The backroom staff will need to be buzzing as well. Everybody needs to be focussed on the same objectives. Performances that have been so dire, as Saturday illustrated. That starting afresh is probably the best way forward. Even the players get a final chance to prove that they want to be here at the club.

I don't get this whole Nigel Howe doesn't have football knowledge thing . He's been a director of a football club for the past 20 years and his uncle was an England international who managed 2 different clubs to FA Cup wins. He has experience and will have contacts to draw upon.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 11 Dec 2018 21:46

From Despair To Where?
Lower West

I don't get this whole Nigel Howe doesn't have football knowledge thing . He's been a director of a football club for the past 20 years and his uncle was an England international who managed 2 different clubs to FA Cup wins. He has experience and will have contacts to draw upon.

Exactly, and before we moved Hammond into a DoF role to stop him following Pardew out of the door Howe presumably oversaw the majority of the DoF side of things for a number of years.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 11 Dec 2018 21:47

Old Man Andrews

Why would Ainsworth be preferable over Parky?

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 11 Dec 2018 21:53

Hoop Blah
Old Man Andrews

Why would Ainsworth be preferable over Parky?

Ainsworth is a much more positive and modern coach and a great man manager. Done a remarkable job at Wycombe and can get the very best out of very average players consistently. He has been on the up for the past few seasons where as Parky has been fighting fires for a long while now.

I know a lot about Wycombe and the inner workings, hear only great things about Gareth Ainsworth.

yuomi

by yuomi » 11 Dec 2018 23:01

Given the club's precarious position it's staggering to the point of being unbelievable that PC was given the boot without their being an immediate replacement lined up. Very few teams in history have performed better when rudderless. The buck stops firmly with Howe (a terrible restart and no way to get (already aggrieved) fans onside) and the owners.

Swift resolution to this is needed.

Crowbar6753

by Crowbar6753 » 11 Dec 2018 23:05

I have nothing against foreign managers and if and when things get sorted i truly believe a foreign manager would be the best approach for reading football club. However we are in a bit of a pickle at the moment and need something different which is why i also would like to see either Parky or Gareth Ainsworth as the next boss.
Parky is a good boss and i really believe he would steady the ship and give this team the kick up the arse that it needs!! and yes he is also a former fans favourite and i miss the good ole days of Parky flying into a tackle at Elm Park, and i'm sure he would bring back the feel good factor to RG3.
Ainsworth is a bit different and a bit more of a gamble, but he is an up and coming manager with plenty of passion and belief and i would much prefer this style of appointment over the journeymen managers that have been quoted on this site!
Whatever happens, a new manager must be given time to change the fortunes of this club and not 9 months etc...

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 11 Dec 2018 23:44

yuomi Given the club's precarious position it's staggering to the point of being unbelievable that PC was given the boot without their being an immediate replacement lined up. Very few teams in history have performed better when rudderless. The buck stops firmly with Howe (a terrible restart and no way to get (already aggrieved) fans onside) and the owners.

I detest clubs who go behind a manager's back and negotiate a replacement before they're gone.

Not only is it immoral, I reckon a good lawyer could get a decent law suit out of it.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 12 Dec 2018 00:02

Snowflake Royal
yuomi Given the club's precarious position it's staggering to the point of being unbelievable that PC was given the boot without their being an immediate replacement lined up. Very few teams in history have performed better when rudderless. The buck stops firmly with Howe (a terrible restart and no way to get (already aggrieved) fans onside) and the owners.

I detest clubs who go behind a manager's back and negotiate a replacement before they're gone.

Not only is it immoral, I reckon a good lawyer could get a decent law suit out of it.

I agree but why sack Clement two days before the game? Surely he should have been given the Sheffield game rather than someone with absolutely no experience of managing senior team football. I'd have thought given the timing, they had someone to bring in almost instantly to take the Sheffield game or the very least, this week's training. An atrocious decision and if someone isn't appointed in the next couple of days and we lose at Rotherham, big questions needs to be asked

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 12 Dec 2018 00:38

Interesting thread, most everyone welcoming Howe back, then rounding on him the next day. Reading about how absolutely crucial it is to stay in this div at all costs. That being the case, surprised there’s not been more support for Big Sam.

I wouldn’t say I’m his biggest fan, but if we went down with him, I’d be surprised. And right now, we are one of bookies fav’s to do so. He’s kept teams up, and he’s got them promoted. You could give him 2 and a half year deal, he could keep us up, and with 2-3 windows we may then even make a run. And if somehow we went up, he’d have experience of keeping us there.

Pipe dream sure, but wouldn’t see that scenario play out under Ainsworth, Parky, the Lincoln boys, etc. Would teams like Leeds, etc, be looking at them? I like Parky, really liked him as player. Incorporated some of his warm up routines when I played and coached, haha.

Given locale, we’re tough fan base in some ways. On a small-ish budget we want results/ success, and we want to be pretty doing it, too, Whereas, not sure that criteria besets other clubs. Burnley might be an example.

Big Sam=no comp, and he’d get slackers, attitudes, egos, fitness, etc, addressed in short order. Again, not #1 fan, but if staying up is #1 priority, I’d back him (or Steve Bruce) to do it. No club connection, wouldn’t be fan fav’s. Thought that might be consideration, but doesn’t appear to be anyway, given Portuguese rumors/approaches.

Would Joka have team transition to pretty passing game, mid season, while staying up is priority? He’d presumably be working with players like Kelly and Swift, where Clement was found wanting.
Last edited by Denver Royal on 12 Dec 2018 01:41, edited 5 times in total.

royalp-we
Hob Nob Regular

by royalp-we » 12 Dec 2018 00:42

URZZZZ
Snowflake Royal

I agree but why sack Clement two days before the game? Surely he should have been given the Sheffield game rather than someone with absolutely no experience of managing senior team football. I'd have thought given the timing, they had someone to bring in almost instantly to take the Sheffield game or the very least, this week's training. An atrocious decision and if someone isn't appointed in the next couple of days and we lose at Rotherham, big questions needs to be asked

It would have been really deceitful.
An argument can be made that they can find the ‘right’ appointment this way, allow them to assess the squad over xmas and make changes in Jan.

The other option would have been to keep Clement for the Sheff Utd and Rotherham games, but then with Gourlay gone; Clement may have lost his head completely.

The pressure has been building for months. It’s a results business and if Howe thought Clement needed to be sacked for the best interests of this club, you can’t really question it with the league position as it is..

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 12 Dec 2018 07:17

I'm beginning to see parallels with Rodgers' sacking which would explain the timing. That was a Howe sacking, the team was in a similar situation and it stemmed from a meeting to discuss the transfer window strategy where it was clear the manager and club were on different planets.

Simon's Church
Hob Nob Regular

by Simon's Church » 12 Dec 2018 07:47

It took 2 days after Stan was sacked for us to appoint Clement. It's now been a week with no manager and the rumours are we still don't have a shortlist.

Glad that we finally have a competent CEO in charge.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 12 Dec 2018 08:00

That's why I'm thinking something happened last week to make Clement's position untenable.

1436 posts