New Manager

1436 posts
Armadillo Roadkill

Re: New Manager

by Armadillo Roadkill » 12 Dec 2018 08:03

From Despair To Where? That's why I'm thinking something happened last week to make Clement's position untenable.

That seems entirely possible. I really didn't believe he had been sacked without a real thought as to what comes next. Seems I was wrong.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 12 Dec 2018 08:05

Simon's Church It took 2 days after Stan was sacked for us to appoint Clement. It's now been a week with no manager and the rumours are we still don't have a shortlist.

Glad that we finally have a competent CEO in charge.

Stan Ternent?

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 12 Dec 2018 08:07

Denver Royal Big Sam=no comp, and he’d get slackers, attitudes, egos, fitness, etc, addressed in short order. Again, not #1 fan, but if staying up is #1 priority, I’d back him (or Steve Bruce) to do it. No club connection, wouldn’t be fan fav’s. Thought that might be consideration, but doesn’t appear to be anyway, given Portuguese rumors/approaches.

yeah because we'd defo be able to attract a manager like him...........

Have a f*cking day off would you? You are living in fantasy land.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 12 Dec 2018 08:17

Simon's Church It took 2 days after Stan was sacked for us to appoint Clement. It's now been a week with no manager and the rumours are we still don't have a shortlist.

Tbf, we’ve note really heard anything concrete other than from Castro who seemed to be first choice

It may well be that they have a very clear idea of who they would like, but have to negotiate a deal with them - which could well suggest it’s a manager in work (ie Parky)

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 12 Dec 2018 08:44

URZZZZ
Snowflake Royal
yuomi Given the club's precarious position it's staggering to the point of being unbelievable that PC was given the boot without their being an immediate replacement lined up. Very few teams in history have performed better when rudderless. The buck stops firmly with Howe (a terrible restart and no way to get (already aggrieved) fans onside) and the owners.

Swift resolution to this is needed.

I detest clubs who go behind a manager's back and negotiate a replacement before they're gone.

Not only is it immoral, I reckon a good lawyer could get a decent law suit out of it.

I agree but why sack Clement two days before the game? Surely he should have been given the Sheffield game rather than someone with absolutely no experience of managing senior team football. I'd have thought given the timing, they had someone to bring in almost instantly to take the Sheffield game or the very least, this week's training. An atrocious decision and if someone isn't appointed in the next couple of days and we lose at Rotherham, big questions needs to be asked

Howe couldn't have sacked him sooner, he did it almost immediately upon taking over. And I guess he thought the sooner he did it, the sooner he could have a replacement.

It's not like the club won't have had contingency plans for who they might want. Howe will have been in negotiations about his role for some days at least, and will have been thinking about what he wanted to do, Who he might be interested in.

We've almost never appointed anyone within a week of a sacking mid-season, even internal appointments usually have a couple of games interim first.

About the only speedy one was Clarke. And he proved he was never remotely committed to us.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 12 Dec 2018 09:22

Snowflake Royal
URZZZZ
Snowflake Royal I detest clubs who go behind a manager's back and negotiate a replacement before they're gone.

Not only is it immoral, I reckon a good lawyer could get a decent law suit out of it.

I agree but why sack Clement two days before the game? Surely he should have been given the Sheffield game rather than someone with absolutely no experience of managing senior team football. I'd have thought given the timing, they had someone to bring in almost instantly to take the Sheffield game or the very least, this week's training. An atrocious decision and if someone isn't appointed in the next couple of days and we lose at Rotherham, big questions needs to be asked

Howe couldn't have sacked him sooner, he did it almost immediately upon taking over. And I guess he thought the sooner he did it, the sooner he could have a replacement.

It's not like the club won't have had contingency plans for who they might want. Howe will have been in negotiations about his role for some days at least, and will have been thinking about what he wanted to do, Who he might be interested in.

We've almost never appointed anyone within a week of a sacking mid-season, even internal appointments usually have a couple of games interim first.

About the only speedy one was Clarke. And he proved he was never remotely committed to us.

Have they called you yet?

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 12 Dec 2018 09:24

Old Man Andrews
Hoop Blah
Old Man Andrews
Going into the Rotherham game without a manager is absolutely criminal. Completely dopey to sack a manager without having a replacement already signed up.

We have to go for Ainsworth now, he's worth a shot.

Why would Ainsworth be preferable over Parky?

Ainsworth is a much more positive and modern coach and a great man manager. Done a remarkable job at Wycombe and can get the very best out of very average players consistently. He has been on the up for the past few seasons where as Parky has been fighting fires for a long while now.

I know a lot about Wycombe and the inner workings, hear only great things about Gareth Ainsworth.

I know a Wycombe fan or two and they love him, and yes, they've got some real momentum over the last few seasons.

He's not done anything that Parky hasn't though, and obviously he hasn't done anything away from the one club which always adds another element of risk.

I wouldn't be disappointed in Ainsworth, but I don't see his record as anything to make him a candidate who should be head and shoulders above Parky.

linkenholtroyal
Hob Nob Regular

by linkenholtroyal » 12 Dec 2018 09:26

Old Man Andrews
Denver Royal Big Sam=no comp, and he’d get slackers, attitudes, egos, fitness, etc, addressed in short order. Again, not #1 fan, but if staying up is #1 priority, I’d back him (or Steve Bruce) to do it. No club connection, wouldn’t be fan fav’s. Thought that might be consideration, but doesn’t appear to be anyway, given Portuguese rumors/approaches.

Harry went to Brum, I know it wasn't successful but no-one saw that coming. Similar situation. I think the wages would be the biggest stumbling block though. Not sams want to manage us.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 12 Dec 2018 09:30

linkenholtroyal
Old Man Andrews

Harry went to Brum, I know it wasn't successful but no-one saw that coming. Similar situation. I think the wages would be the biggest stumbling block though. Not sams want to manage us.

Sam Allardyce knows all he has to do is wait until January each season and then some desperate club in the Premier League will come in and take him. Watch that bloke at Southampton fall on his arse and they'll throw up the Big Sam symbol into the sky. Sam gets his £5m bonus for keeping them up and thus the cycle is complete.

We need to be realistic in our appointment and it also needs to be an appointment that thinks to the future, not the past.

KC Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by KC Royal » 12 Dec 2018 09:48

From Despair To Where? I'm beginning to see parallels with Rodgers' sacking which would explain the timing. That was a Howe sacking, the team was in a similar situation and it stemmed from a meeting to discuss the transfer window strategy where it was clear the manager and club were on different planets.

Yeah, was just thinking the timing of the sacking suggested it wasn't to do with results, they seemed to be on the up and it was done midweek not soon after the previous game like Stam's sacking was.

Interesting to read the comments about Parky, he used to post on here didn't he? Wonder if he still reads the board.

I'm not expecting any new manager to have much money to spend (assuming we don't sell key players like Moore for big money) as one article I read last week suggested the club are worried about FFP.

linkenholtroyal
Hob Nob Regular

by linkenholtroyal » 12 Dec 2018 09:57

Old Man Andrews
linkenholtroyal
Old Man Andrews

Sam Allardyce knows all he has to do is wait until January each season and then some desperate club in the Premier League will come in and take him. Watch that bloke at Southampton fall on his arse and they'll throw up the Big Sam symbol into the sky. Sam gets his £5m bonus for keeping them up and thus the cycle is complete.

We need to be realistic in our appointment and it also needs to be an appointment that thinks to the future, not the past.

Agreed if it was on the table and we could afford him then yes he would be top of my list.
Our realistic targets due to our financial state are likely to be jokanovic as he has no buyout of his contract.
Parky because Bolton are in a worse financial state than us or a lower league manager.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 12 Dec 2018 10:20

linkenholtroyal
Old Man Andrews
linkenholtroyal Harry went to Brum, I know it wasn't successful but no-one saw that coming. Similar situation. I think the wages would be the biggest stumbling block though. Not sams want to manage us.

Agreed if it was on the table and we could afford him then yes he would be top of my list.
Our realistic targets due to our financial state are likely to be jokanovic as he has no buyout of his contract.
Parky because Bolton are in a worse financial state than us or a lower league manager.

I have a fairly (ill formed) theory that goes like this.

We get Parky. Bolton demand a wedge of compensation. They immediately use said compensation to go to Allardyce, who the big old softie that he is, agrees for old time's sake to manage Bolton until the end of the season to get them out of a hole.

We go down.

They stay up.

linkenholtroyal
Hob Nob Regular

by linkenholtroyal » 12 Dec 2018 10:29

leon
linkenholtroyal
Old Man Andrews

We get Parky. Bolton demand a wedge of compensation. They immediately use said compensation to go to Allardyce, who the big old softie that he is, agrees for old time's sake to manage Bolton until the end of the season to get them out of a hole.

We go down.

They stay up.

I would hope for the same reasons he wouldn't come to us. He wouldn't go to them.

But stranger things have happened.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 12 Dec 2018 10:35

Old Man Andrews

Stan Ternent?

Sheesh, a name from a long time ago. A bit of a hero at Carlisle as a player

yuomi

by yuomi » 12 Dec 2018 10:36

Snowflake Royal
yuomi Given the club's precarious position it's staggering to the point of being unbelievable that PC was given the boot without their being an immediate replacement lined up. Very few teams in history have performed better when rudderless. The buck stops firmly with Howe (a terrible restart and no way to get (already aggrieved) fans onside) and the owners.

Swift resolution to this is needed.

I detest clubs who go behind a manager's back and negotiate a replacement before they're gone.

Admirable sentiment, but totally out of touch.

Successful managers walk out on clubs for better jobs, poorly performing clubs replace managers.

Are you saying you'd prefer a mandatory period absent of leadership (which, I think we can all agree, is the last thing this squad needs) in the middle of your season for the sake of the departing manager's feelings? Because that's batsh*t.

As for the legalese, managers know that they have their jobs by the grace of the performances on the pitch Any poorly performing ex-boss who thought he got replaced too quickly and got litigious about it is going to be laughed out of court. The contracts are watertight, and the pay offs for a sacking are eyewatering enough as it is.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 12 Dec 2018 10:36

linkenholtroyal
leon
linkenholtroyal

We go down.

They stay up.

I would hope for the same reasons he wouldn't come to us. He wouldn't go to them.

But stranger things have happened.

He has affinity with the club that made his managerial name?

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: How many Spaniards does it take to change a bulb? Just Juan.

by winchester_royal » 12 Dec 2018 10:39

This kind of shit really winds me up. Nigel Howe is an absolute titan of of a businessman and I won't hear a word against him.

I mean, it's not like we were on the brink of administration during his last tenure as CEO.... :?

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 12 Dec 2018 10:53

winchester_royal

This kind of shit really winds me up. Nigel Howe is an absolute titan of of a businessman and I won't hear a word against him.

I mean, it's not like we were on the brink of administration during his last tenure as CEO.... :?

There might be a few mitigating factors to blame for that...

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 12 Dec 2018 11:24

winchester_royal

Because that was his fault :|

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: How many Spaniards does it take to change a bulb? Just Juan.

by winchester_royal » 12 Dec 2018 11:52

genome
winchester_royal

Because that was his fault :|

It was, of course, a little tongue in cheek.

However, if you think the CEO won't have been heavily involved in decisions such as taking on the Vibrac loan then I think there's a little bit of ostrich behaviour going on.

Of course we've all enjoyed using Samuelson and Zingarevich as the scapegoats for that period in our history, but this idea of Howe being an innocent bystander during all of that mess is, in my humble opinion, a little naive.

1436 posts