CONFIMRED José Gomes

313 posts
Cripple Creek
Hob Nob Regular

Re: CONFIMRED José Gomes

by Cripple Creek » 23 Dec 2018 09:46

This appointment has all the hallmarks of the Terry 'The Taxi' Bullivant appointment all those years ago. Gomes probably speaks better English and to be honest what he has had to say sounds as sane as intelligent as anyone could say under the circumstances. I mean he doesn't sound like a Neil Warnock or Ian Holloway. He identifies retaining hope as essential, which is sad but probably completely true. As they say though the despair one can handle it's the hope that crushes you.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 23 Dec 2018 10:09

Zip
Lower West
Denver Royal What would 'complete loss of face and belly up' constitute to you now?
Again, you consistently said (under Clement) that this is a long term re-building project, there's no magic wand, we may have to drop down a division or two...and that you wouldn't have minded if we did.

Relegation. While watching the team attempt to play a style of football to which there not suited. We need 31 points out of the remaining 69 to stand any chance of survival. Lose the next three games and the target then becomes an average of 1.5 per fixture. Seen nothing in the past season and a half to suggest that this squad has the ability to string together that level of consistent performance week in week out.

New manager has great words for the style he wishes to play. Trouble is if you go and watch the Chelsea U23 team play (the Man City style of football). You'll appreciate how far short of the mark the squad is in terms of pace and technical ability. You cannot build such a team without time and a number of transfer windows, Stam likewise came a cropper. Great ideas, but not the management expertise to outthink the experienced managers in the Championship.

Why do we need another 31 points to stay up? We survived with 46 points last season and that number looks likely to be enough this time around.

46 was very low. I seem to recall this time last year it looked like about 42 would do it and then there were a few little desperation runs from teams at the bottom.

Last year was spectacularly poor. I'd be very leery of expecting the same again.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 23 Dec 2018 10:16

Snowflake Royal
Zip
Lower West
Relegation. While watching the team attempt to play a style of football to which there not suited. We need 31 points out of the remaining 69 to stand any chance of survival. Lose the next three games and the target then becomes an average of 1.5 per fixture. Seen nothing in the past season and a half to suggest that this squad has the ability to string together that level of consistent performance week in week out.

New manager has great words for the style he wishes to play. Trouble is if you go and watch the Chelsea U23 team play (the Man City style of football). You'll appreciate how far short of the mark the squad is in terms of pace and technical ability. You cannot build such a team without time and a number of transfer windows, Stam likewise came a cropper. Great ideas, but not the management expertise to outthink the experienced managers in the Championship.

Why do we need another 31 points to stay up? We survived with 46 points last season and that number looks likely to be enough this time around.

46 was very low. I seem to recall this time last year it looked like about 42 would do it and then there were a few little desperation runs from teams at the bottom.

Last year was spectacularly poor. I'd be very leery of expecting the same again.

It was low Ian but it’s heading that way again this season. At the halfway stage last season third from bottom had 19 points just like now. One of three below us are going to have to significantly improve to reach anything like 50 points. It could happen but I’d say it’s unlikely.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 23 Dec 2018 10:16

Do we know how long his contract is? I'm getting wiffs of

'We're doomed, let's get in a cheap escapegoat for six months and then get a proper appointment untainted with failure to turn it around at an easier level.'

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 23 Dec 2018 10:32

Why would they pay 1m quid and bring over all his coaches to do that?

They could easily have picked up some out of work manager to do that

Muskrat
Hob Nob Regular

by Muskrat » 23 Dec 2018 10:39

strap "To start building up from our goalkeeper, pass the ball to each other and controlling the game with the ball to make the opponent move and try to recover the ball. In this way creating space and gaps for the fast players and strikers to use. But basically creating with the ball, controlling the game with the ball." - So just the same failed policy as Stam and Clement then.

This is deeply worrying. I cannot sit through more Stam-esque so called football. I gave up going under Stam in the end and even when we finished third I was berating the style of play. Also sounds a bit like the utter tosh that Adkins used to spout. Happy New Year everyone!

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 23 Dec 2018 10:41

Hound Why would they pay 1m quid and bring over all his coaches to do that?

They could easily have picked up some out of work manager to do that

Yeah, it doesn't add up, but then nothing about his appointment does really.

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal_jimmy » 23 Dec 2018 10:55

Zip
Lower West
Denver Royal What would 'complete loss of face and belly up' constitute to you now?
Again, you consistently said (under Clement) that this is a long term re-building project, there's no magic wand, we may have to drop down a division or two...and that you wouldn't have minded if we did.

We got 44 points last season actually. Can't see us getting even that many if I'm honest

Gunny Fishcake
Hob Nob Regular

by Gunny Fishcake » 23 Dec 2018 10:56

Snowflake Royal Do we know how long his contract is? I'm getting wiffs of

'We're doomed, let's get in a cheap escapegoat for six months and then get a proper appointment untainted with failure to turn it around at an easier level.'

Two and a half years his contract I believe. We can all go on as much as we like saying we're not happy, but we simply have to get behind him and give his a chance . It's not his fault he's got the job, the club went after him not him us, if that makes sense.

Millwall and QPR away followed by Swansea at home is a very tough baptism.

Time will tell but that's something he doesn't really have with half the season gone already.

3points
Hob Nob Regular

by 3points » 23 Dec 2018 11:00

Jackson Corner Also you notice they have sneaked him in without a press conference so we can't ask these questions. The decision to bring him in makes no logic whatsoever? I thought Nigel Howe of all people must realise this is a terrible choice. I'm starting to think they want the club to go down?

Unlikely to be Howe’s decision. This will have been made by Dai Yongge

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 23 Dec 2018 11:08

Gunny Fishcake
Snowflake Royal Do we know how long his contract is? I'm getting wiffs of

Two and a half years his contract I believe. We can all go on as much as we like saying we're not happy, but we simply have to get behind him and give his a chance . It's not his fault he's got the job, the club went after him not him us, if that makes sense.

Millwall and QPR away followed by Swansea at home is a very tough baptism.

Time will tell but that's something he doesn't really have with half the season gone already.

Agree. I'm still mightily pissed Clement got sacked, just as I was pissed McDermott2 got sacked. Not his fault, not Stam's fault. You can't take out on the new guy that the owners sacked his predecessor.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 23 Dec 2018 11:11

Royal_jimmy
Zip
Lower West

We got 44 points last season actually. Can't see us getting even that many if I'm honest

Yep I was wrong but it emphasises the point I was making. We would have stayed up with 42 points last season and that might be enough again this time around although it would be desperately tight. I would be delighted if we ended up with 48 points or more.

Mid Sussex Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Mid Sussex Royal » 23 Dec 2018 12:28

PieEater
Sutekh JG is bringing 4 backroom staff with him.

So guess that means curtains for Gibbs, Beasant, Gilkes etc. unless they’re planning on over staffing in that area as well.

I think this is the major worry, the core of the club is being eroded.

I don't think it's a bad thing at all that Gibbs, Gilkes and Beasant are going.

Goalkeeping has hardly been a strength since Beasant's been around and since Gilkes replaced Steven Reid in the coaching team we've won around 10 games in 16 months.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 23 Dec 2018 12:30

Mid Sussex Royal
PieEater
Sutekh JG is bringing 4 backroom staff with him.

So guess that means curtains for Gibbs, Beasant, Gilkes etc. unless they’re planning on over staffing in that area as well.

Goalkeeping has hardly been a strength since Beasant's been around and since Gilkes replaced Steven Reid in the coaching team we've won around 10 games in 16 months.

I'd hope Gilkes still had a place in the Academy at least.

Although I've got to wonder why a guy whose entire game was pace and frequently ran it off the end of the pitch would make a good coach... legend that he is.

tmesis
Hob Nob Regular

by tmesis » 23 Dec 2018 12:40

Snowflake Royal
Mid Sussex Royal
PieEater

Although I've got to wonder why a guy whose entire game was pace and frequently ran it off the end of the pitch would make a good coach... legend that he is.

He could maybe teach players how to cross a ball to the back post, rather than firing straight into the first man or sending it flying over everyone and out for a throw in.

72 bus
Hob Nob Regular

by 72 bus » 23 Dec 2018 12:46

The entire backroom staff going is the best news ever, looking at the injuries we pick up in training they were an actual danger to the players.

72 bus
Hob Nob Regular

by 72 bus » 23 Dec 2018 12:49

tmesis
Snowflake Royal
Mid Sussex Royal

He could maybe teach players how to cross a ball to the back post, rather than firing straight into the first man or sending it flying over everyone and out for a throw in.

He hasn't managed it yet, only tyler blackett that is able to put a decent cross in.

Ascotexgunner
Hob Nob Addict

by Ascotexgunner » 23 Dec 2018 13:26

Don't know if Beasant is going. Be quite sad if he is. He has done really well with the young keepers over the years. It's never a position I have ever been worried about.
I haven't heard the interview yet but if the style of football Gomez wants to play is as described by some on here, then we will go down. It sounds like Stamball will return and anyone putting a high press on us will just kill us.
Unless of course he knows another way....it's worrying though. These players are like rabbits in headlights playing that kind of game.
The EFL is a unique league......it's hard, it's along season, it's fast, and it's physical and it needs experience....unless you have lots of cash, good accountants to avoid ffp, and good connections for loanees........Just hope I'm wrong.

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 23 Dec 2018 13:31

Ascotexgunner Don't know if Beasant is going. Be quite sad if he is. He has done really well with the young keepers over the years. It's never a position I have ever been worried about.
I haven't heard the interview yet but if the style of football Gomez wants to play is as described by some on here, then we will go down. It sounds like Stamball will return and anyone putting a high press on us will just kill us.
Unless of course he knows another way....it's worrying though. These players are like rabbits in headlights playing that kind of game.
The EFL is a unique league......it's hard, it's along season, it's fast, and it's physical and it needs experience....unless you have lots of cash, good accountants to avoid ffp, and good connections for loanees........Just hope I'm wrong.

Beasant's gone as have Gibbs and Halabi.

Ascotexgunner
Hob Nob Addict

by Ascotexgunner » 23 Dec 2018 13:42

sandman
Ascotexgunner Don't know if Beasant is going. Be quite sad if he is. He has done really well with the young keepers over the years. It's never a position I have ever been worried about.

Beasant's gone as have Gibbs and Halabi.

I quite saddened by that.

313 posts