CONFIMRED José Gomes

313 posts
Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: CONFIMRED José Gomes

by Millsy » 23 Dec 2018 14:11

Muskrat
strap "To start building up from our goalkeeper, pass the ball to each other and controlling the game with the ball to make the opponent move and try to recover the ball. In this way creating space and gaps for the fast players and strikers to use. But basically creating with the ball, controlling the game with the ball." - So just the same failed policy as Stam and Clement then.

This is deeply worrying. I cannot sit through more Stam-esque so called football. I gave up going under Stam in the end and even when we finished third I was berating the style of play. Also sounds a bit like the utter tosh that Adkins used to spout. Happy New Year everyone!

Same here. Another Stam? No bloody thank you!

Having said that, consider the following, to make you feel a little better.

1) Stam got us to one kick away from the PL playing this sort of football, and it worked well for Swansea and does so for many other teams and is a better way to survive in the PL than McDermott's hoof and hope which saw us come straight back down.

2) We then got found out and unfortunately Stam had NO other plan. The system wasn't the problem, it was the inability to use the system properly i.e. use it to control games and or keep hold of a lead, but be able to adapt to a counter attacking or direct style where needed. Stam was clueless and just used his boring plan every time, or at best tried to change it but couldn't motivate his players to do so.

3) We already have a team geared up for this sort of play, but as above it just wasn't implemented properly by Stam. Trying to change it actually caused more problems as Clement found out. Either he needed more time (which we don't have!) or money (which we probably don't have!) but in any case with the best will in the world his attempt to change things ended up in a complete mess. Do we want someone else to risk the same thing again at this stage in our season??

4) So if Gomes can do this style of play PROPERLY it won't need many changes and he can hit the ground running with only a couple of tweaks and this *may* end up being the team and style that never was under Stam. Actually just writing this, I can now suddenly see why perhaps the owners have appointed Gomes, because I had no idea otherwise.

Uke
Hob Nob Legend

by Uke » 23 Dec 2018 14:13

Ascotexgunner
sandman
Ascotexgunner Don't know if Beasant is going. Be quite sad if he is. He has done really well with the young keepers over the years. It's never a position I have ever been worried about.
I haven't heard the interview yet but if the style of football Gomez wants to play is as described by some on here, then we will go down. It sounds like Stamball will return and anyone putting a high press on us will just kill us.
Unless of course he knows another way....it's worrying though. These players are like rabbits in headlights playing that kind of game.
The EFL is a unique league......it's hard, it's along season, it's fast, and it's physical and it needs experience....unless you have lots of cash, good accountants to avoid ffp, and good connections for loanees........Just hope I'm wrong.

Beasant's gone as have Gibbs and Halabi.

I quite saddened by that.

Saddened, but it probably had to happen

Eaststandman

by Eaststandman » 23 Dec 2018 14:16

Problem is that a team cannot get promoted from division one to the premier league!

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 23 Dec 2018 14:20

2 world wars, 1 world cup

4) So if Gomes can do this style of play PROPERLY it won't need many changes and he can hit the ground running with only a couple of tweaks and this *may* end up being the team and style that never was under Stam. Actually just writing this, I can now suddenly see why perhaps the owners have appointed Gomes, because I had no idea otherwise.

So WHO worked this out?

Clement No
The Chinese Owners? NO
The CEO? NO

Where is the deep football knowledge that "spotted" a so-called promising manager
who could use our players - players who have rarely looked at ease with the Stam Way -
and just turn things round?

The only person (maybe) might be Tevreden, in a dark room

OR (surely?) some agent/spiv/emperor's-clothes-salesman has got in the Chinese ears?

The only other possibility is that the Wolves owners have talked to RFC's owners
and "our" Chinese insisted on a Portugese manager, ANY Portugese manager

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 23 Dec 2018 14:21

Eaststandman Problem is that a team cannot get promoted from division one to the premier league!

Win League 1, All Championship teams relegated for FP violations. Easy

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 23 Dec 2018 14:30

Snowball

So WHO worked this out?

Clement No
The Chinese Owners? NO
The CEO? NO

Where is the deep football knowledge that "spotted" a so-called promising manager
who could use our players - players who have rarely looked at ease with the Stam Way -

OR (surely?) some agent/spiv/emperor's-clothes-salesman has got in the Chinese ears?

The only other possibility is that the Wolves owners have talked to RFC's owners

F**k knows who is working anything out at RFC or if they are using dice, to be honest.

But I'd have thought if what I say is true it's probably the owners thinking in this way.

The worst case scenario is as you suggest: this may be agent-driven and the clueless owners are dazzled by the nationality probably because, I dunno... Ronaldo is good and he is Portguese? No idea.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 23 Dec 2018 16:31

Snowball

So WHO worked this out?

Clement No
The Chinese Owners? NO
The CEO? NO

This is exactly the sort of question the local media should be putting to Nigel Howe. Anyone think it will be asked? Think we all know the answer to that.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 23 Dec 2018 16:38

Sutekh

This is exactly the sort of question the local media should be putting to Nigel Howe. Anyone think it will be asked? Think we all know the answer to that.

Totally agree. Something smells funny

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 23 Dec 2018 22:13

Sutekh
Snowball

So WHO worked this out?

Clement No
The Chinese Owners? NO
The CEO? NO

Good point it needs to be asked and surely someone should be able to answer it if only to reap the rewards if he ends up a winner.

3points
Hob Nob Regular

by 3points » 23 Dec 2018 23:27

Concerned about the comments in his interview about the Premier League and “project”. I just hope he realises how big a job this currently is.

The whole possession based football thing also worries me. From the last four or five seasons promoted clubs I’d categorise about a third as being possession based, namely
Wolves
Fulham
Bournemouth
Huddersfield

It really isn’t a slam dunk formula for promotion. I’d say 2 or 3 were pretty direct and the rest just played good fast paced football with a couple of stars and key goal scorers. We don’t have either of those things.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 23 Dec 2018 23:31

3points Concerned about the comments in his interview about the Premier League and “project”. I just hope he realises how big a job this currently is.

The whole possession based football thing also worries me. From the last four or five seasons promoted clubs I’d categorise about a third as being possession based, namely
Wolves
Fulham
Bournemouth
Huddersfield

It really isn’t a slam dunk formula for promotion. I’d say 2 or 3 were pretty direct and the rest just played good fast paced football with a couple of stars and key goal scorers. We don’t have either of those things.

Not disputing your list of teams but the way they played was nothing like Stam's Reading

Fulham and Bournemouth were EXCITING, fast, incisive.

Frankly I can't remember Wolves or Huddersfield but I would never have thought them BORING

I HATED watching Stam's Reading, even when we won

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 24 Dec 2018 08:49

Snowball
3points Concerned about the comments in his interview about the Premier League and “project”. I just hope he realises how big a job this currently is.

Wolves
Fulham
Bournemouth
Huddersfield

Not disputing your list of teams but the way they played was nothing like Stam's Reading

Frankly I can't remember Wolves or Huddersfield but I would never have thought them BORING

Agreed. We did well in that season because we bored teams into submission, we just frustrated the opposition to the point where they would dive in to tackles and leave space for Danny Williams to drive forward. Every single game was a the same and Stam got completely found out in the 2nd season when he tried that shit again. He also got found out in the play off final, that was our big chance and we completely blew it.

Football is about entertainment and value for money, I would rather play moderately exciting football and finish midtable each season than finishing 3rd and playing the worlds dullest football.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 24 Dec 2018 09:03

Management and coaching team will be

Manager : José Manuel Martins Teixeira Gomes

1st Team Assistant Coach : Jorge Mendonca
Analyst/Assistant Coach : Joao Penedo
Goalkeeper Coach : Jorge Baptista
Fitness Coach : Rui Santos

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 24 Dec 2018 09:05

Sutekh Management and coaching team will be

Was excellent at Charlton as a player so hopefully will be a good appointment.

3points
Hob Nob Regular

by 3points » 24 Dec 2018 09:08

Snowball

Wolves
Fulham
Bournemouth
Huddersfield

My point was, possession based football isn’t necessarily a winning formula for the Championship. I don’t disagree about Bournemouth but Fulham flattered to deceive a bit. They looked pretty but often lacked an end product, and were relatively easily countered (eg our play off win against them). They didn’t have a natural goal scorer until they signed Mitrovic last January. Their fans accused us of playing anti-football, but in reality lots of teams in the Championship set up not to lose and try to sneak a goal from set pieces or on the counter. Born effectively played 3-6-1 on Saturday and they are fighting for promotion. Huddersfield were as dull as us at Wembley and played a pretty similar style under Wagner (and still do).

Lots of teams are pretty direct (not long ball per se but get the ball forward at the earliest opportunity and then fight for the second ball, and try to turn defences). Watford were like that when they were promoted as were Brighton, Newcastle were just better than everyone else. Being like Brighton I think is a decent model. Solid defensively and played some decent football.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 24 Dec 2018 09:09

Old Man Andrews

That was Clive Mendonca.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 24 Dec 2018 09:10

Sutekh
Old Man Andrews

That was Clive Mendonca.

I know it was, I was being humerous. Maybe I should add some sort of klaxon to all my jokes to avoid confusion.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 24 Dec 2018 09:32

It was a little lame tbf OMA

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 24 Dec 2018 09:35

Hound It was a little lame tbf OMA

That is doubtless the case.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 24 Dec 2018 09:54

Mendonca received funding from the Professional Footballers' Association to train to become an oil-rig worker.

Interesting move after football.

313 posts