CONFIMRED José Gomes

313 posts
Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: CONFIMRED José Gomes

by Lower West » 27 Dec 2018 11:26

Snowflake Royal We're so badly run. The club is unrecognizable from the one I fell in love with.

I'm thinking the same towards the game in general. Much as once I loved F1.

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 27 Dec 2018 11:30

Sutekh Let's just say the club went to Gomes and sold the position to him as a project (that's why Gomes used the word in his first interview). It may well be that while the board do not want to see the club relegated they would not throw the toys out of the pram if it happened and Gomes would remain so long as there was obvious progression and an overall steadying of the ship.

Might as well have kept Clement and the remainder of the management team. The word "project" infers money going to be spent. Money alone does not buy you success in football. There's a 50/50 chance of any transfer failing. Good teams are built bottom up and rarely appear overnight.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 27 Dec 2018 11:34

maffff
tmesis Your actual claim was that Nuno wasn't rated as highly as Gomes, even though there's nothing in his record to suggest Gomes was rated at all.

You've managed to both explain and miss my point in the same post.

What was your point about Nuno being rated less than Gomes and being perceived as a bit of a joke (IIRC it correctly)? Who's rating was that based on?

tmesis
Hob Nob Regular

by tmesis » 27 Dec 2018 11:37

maffff
tmesis Your actual claim was that Nuno wasn't rated as highly as Gomes, even though there's nothing in his record to suggest Gomes was rated at all.

OK. Just out of curiosity, where is you insight into the general feeling toward Nuno and Gomes in the Portuguese media in 2017 coming from?

Uke
Hob Nob Legend

by Uke » 27 Dec 2018 12:41

RoyalBlue 'No experience of British/Championship football' - a league that has countless players from around Europe/the World. Would someone care to define what this unique British football is?

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 27 Dec 2018 13:16

RoyalBlue 'No experience of British/Championship football' - a league that has countless players from around Europe/the World. Would someone care to define what this unique British football is?

Good point I guess. Football is football and everything else is muggy bonehead.

I suppose there are other aspects to consider too like the weather, the fans' expectations, the media, the cynicism, the grounds, the refs and probably the more physical nature of the game here battling in the bottom of the champ especially.

I suppose all these things add up to making it quite a different experience managing in England.

Any decent manager though should be able to adapt fairly quickly so it doesn't bother me.

At least he speaks decent English. That's important.

thirtyyarder

by thirtyyarder » 27 Dec 2018 13:34

2 world wars, 1 world cup
Football is football and everything else is muggy bonehead.

This made me immensely happy

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 27 Dec 2018 13:40

Good point I guess. Football is football and everything else is muggy bonehead.

I suppose there are other aspects to consider too like the weather, the fans' expectations, the media, the cynicism, the grounds, the refs and probably the more physical nature of the game here battling in the bottom of the champ especially.

I suppose all these things add up to making it quite a different experience managing in England.

Any decent manager though should be able to adapt fairly quickly so it doesn't bother me.

At least he speaks decent English. That's important.

One issue/dilemma is CB. Champ is full of big, aggressive types who give us fits, in both boxes. Yet possession footy kinda needs ball-playing CB's. It's less an issue in PL where the tree trunks can usually play footy, too. One challenge for Gomes will be unearthing a big tall brute who can play his way. Maybe he knows one or two. (Of the incumbents, Blackett may be the best fit, but I'm not yet sold).

maffff
Hob Nob Addict

by maffff » 27 Dec 2018 13:53

tmesis
maffff

OK. Just out of curiosity, where is you insight into the general feeling toward Nuno and Gomes in the Portuguese media in 2017 coming from?

É muito fácil, se vc fala com pessoas é possível entender a perspectiva dos outros. Peço muito e aprendo muito. Entende? :)

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 27 Dec 2018 14:00

I’d have kept PC on and possibly even if we were relegated

I’d do the same with Gomes. Absolutely have to stop chopping and changing direction

If they’ve seen something in Gomes and his team which makes them think it will bring us success in the short-medium term then they need to back him

If we go down, so be it. We’ve a decent U23 side and some good players under contract. Watching the highlights of Div1 and seeing how shambles like Sunderland and Barnsley are getting on, I genuinely think we’d have a very strong chance of bouncing back up first time if we have a bit of stability

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 27 Dec 2018 14:32

thirtyyarder
Football is football and everything else is muggy bonehead.

This made me immensely happy

Ha. Nice to meet a fellow chap on this forum who's football.

KC Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by KC Royal » 27 Dec 2018 17:43

Lower West
Snowflake Royal We're so badly run. The club is unrecognizable from the one I fell in love with.

I'm thinking the same towards the game in general. Much as once I loved F1.

BIB - I was thinking of posting that too. Have felt this season that club football is overrated.

And I agree with you about F1 too.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 27 Dec 2018 18:41

It’s a bit of a dilemma really.

I so badly wanted Clement to do well, now I so badly want Gomes to do well, but whenever I see Reading play I realise I don’t actually care much about the club anymore. And, if I’m honest, listening to the last couple of minutes of the Reading games after Windsor’s Match has ended, and then the dreaded analysis by Dellor, Gooding and Williams (plus texts read out by the pretty hopeless Rita and the contributions from the fan base) makes me care even less.

We are in a battle for survival, that is the real world.

They need to accept it and stop viewing everything with the glasses they wore when we were half decent.

Williams should be working alongside Durham on Talk Shite, at least he’d be in “good” company.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 27 Dec 2018 21:07

Lighten-up ya miserable scrote....it’s only a game.

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 27 Dec 2018 21:16

I never listen to radio berks. it makes me even more depressed than I already am after a defeat, and I`ve had a whole lot of practice over the last year or so.
It`s hard to get enthusiasm to attend but I`m not ready to abandon them just get.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 28 Dec 2018 17:52

Limited interest in this, but see Stam has taken over as manager of PEC Zwolle

CavershamRoyal

by CavershamRoyal » 28 Dec 2018 18:24

Hound Limited interest in this, but see Stam has taken over as manager of PEC Zwolle

Can't help feeling he hasn't quite gotten over us judging by their kit...

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 28 Dec 2018 18:28

Well that’s Clement sold off in January then.

Ranty McRantface

by Ranty McRantface » 28 Dec 2018 18:50

Sutekh Well that’s Clement sold off in January then.

Liam Kelly more likely.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 28 Dec 2018 19:30

Royal Rother I don’t care what’s been said in the media, excluding potential bonuses I refuse to believe Gomes is on more money than Stam was on, and I am quite certain it will not cost us a fortune paying off his contract if he gets sacked at the end of the season.

Say what you like about Howe, he is NOT that stupid.

I've seen fairly reputable sources claiming that we have quadrupled his basic Rio Ave wage.

I have seen other fairly reputable sources suggest he was on €10,000 per month at Rio Ave.

That would therefore suggest we are paying him in the region of £400,000 a year basic, which is probably below the mean for the Championship.

313 posts