43%
Ian Royal
12%

Total votes: 127
CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

José Gomes whelmguage

by CountryRoyal » 23 Dec 2018 12:11

Well here we are. Another new manager, another poll, another period of uncertainty. Regardless of whether we think it's a good idea or not (it's not) we only have one option, to get behind the new man and just hope that in some miraculous turn of events, this guy with an extraordinarily random, irrelevant and generally mediocre resume can be the one to turn it all around.

Eaststandman

Re: José Gomes whelmguage

by Eaststandman » 23 Dec 2018 12:21

I don't get it, so l must be as confused as fcuk!

tmesis
Hob Nob Regular

by tmesis » 23 Dec 2018 12:41

CountryRoyal Well here we are. Another new manager, another poll, another period of uncertainty. Regardless of whether we think it's a good idea or not (it's not) we only have one option, to get behind the new man and just hope that in some miraculous turn of events, this guy with an extraordinarily random, irrelevant and generally mediocre resume can be the one to turn it all around.

Is it thought there's anyone not hoping that?

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 23 Dec 2018 12:57

tmesis
CountryRoyal Well here we are. Another new manager, another poll, another period of uncertainty. Regardless of whether we think it's a good idea or not (it's not) we only have one option, to get behind the new man and just hope that in some miraculous turn of events, this guy with an extraordinarily random, irrelevant and generally mediocre resume can be the one to turn it all around.

Is it thought there's anyone not hoping that?

To be brutally honest, there will be some that in their own weird masochistic way, want him to fail if only to get what they perceive to be gratification from being able to say "I told you so" on the internet.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 23 Dec 2018 13:11

Coughstrapcough. Has any appointment in the club's history ever been greeted by a 'fan' calling them a child molester before?

I want us to succeed more than I do him although for now the two are the same thing, but I've got little patience or enthusiasm.

An I told you so would be slight consolation if there was anyone that actually expected him to succeed.

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 23 Dec 2018 13:19

Underwhelmed and confused as fcuk. Which I personally think is understandable given his CV.

But then there are several new age type fans who like to talk about systems, identity and style of play who are treating it like we've got Zidane in as manager.

Just hope it works out.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 23 Dec 2018 13:54

Just for the record, I rarely use the word nonce
but, for me, it just means "Vanka" or waster
or charlatan

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 23 Dec 2018 14:00

Snowball Just for the record, I rarely use the word nonce
or charlatan

I just assumed that whilst that was it's literal definition, it has come in passing to just be used as any generic insult. Like when you call someone a dick, they aren't literally a penis.

Elm Park Kid
Hob Nob Regular

by Elm Park Kid » 23 Dec 2018 14:05

No idea what the club is doing. Feels like the sort of appointment that Massimo Cellino would have made.

Obviously i'm giving the guy a chance, but in the back of my mind I'm just expecting that he will be gone before the end of the season .

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 23 Dec 2018 14:07

Ask some questions

1 Prior to his emergence RFC-wise, how could anyone UK-Based have ever heard of this guy?

2 IF they did, why would they, after looking at his record, think, "Excellent Record in the past" or "Wow, promising manager"?

3 What, specifically, in his record, suggests he ought to be a good manager ANYWHERE, let alone the Championship?

4 Why do people say, "First thing he needs to do is sort out our defence" when his record (and the words of Portuguese pundits) say he is not good defensively?

What I see is a shock signing, one which, at first look, makes zero sense; but what worries me far more is where/how did this idea come to the Chinese (football-blind?) owners?

It smacks of skullduggery, someone in the ear of the owners, someone with a personal agenda, who I suggest with 95% certainty, could not give a toss about the future of Reading FC. It looks, sounds and feels either corrupt or bonkers.

I cannot believe how far we have drifted (sunk) since 2005-6, the Reading Way, a club where the fans seemed to matter.

The fans (in general, a large majority at least) were unhappy with the Stam Style, and Rodgers Style/BS. Very, very few seem to actually LIKE slow keep-ball. Results, and gates have been in decline for many years. I suspect Season Ticket sales are lower, and on here we read people saying "they can't be bothered" to watch dross.

So, why then, does it look like we are going for a playing style that is Stam-esque yet again?

I have NO IDEA if this manager can succeed, but there is ZERO evidence to suggest he will

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 23 Dec 2018 14:09

CountryRoyal
Snowball Just for the record, I rarely use the word nonce
or charlatan

I just assumed that whilst that was it's literal definition, it has come in passing to just be used as any generic insult. Like when you call someone a dick, they aren't literally a penis.

Perhaps. But I didn't have my outrage button pressed when *I* read the word

It could just as easily have been "tosser" or "waster"

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 23 Dec 2018 14:18

Snowball Ask some questions

1 Prior to his emergence RFC-wise, how could anyone UK-Based have ever heard of this guy?

2 IF they did, why would they, after looking at his record, think, "Excellent Record in the past" or "Wow, promising manager"?

3 What, specifically, in his record, suggests he ought to be a good manager ANYWHERE, let alone the Championship?

4 Why do people say, "First thing he needs to do is sort out our defence" when his record (and the words of Portuguese pundits) say he is not good defensively?

What I see is a shock signing, one which, at first look, makes zero sense; but what worries me far more is where/how did this idea come to the Chinese (football-blind?) owners?

It smacks of skullduggery, someone in the ear of the owners, someone with a personal agenda, who I suggest with 95% certainty, could not give a toss about the future of Reading FC. It looks, sounds and feels either corrupt or bonkers.

Yep, I'm not one for looking for conspiracies at every possible point, but this appointment makes absolutely zero sense from a footballing perspective. Just utterly baffling.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 23 Dec 2018 14:23

CountryRoyal

Yep, I'm not one for looking for conspiracies at every possible point, but this appointment makes absolutely zero sense from a footballing perspective. Just utterly baffling.

I would be curious to hear some answers from Nobbers.

Of course there's a 10% chance that the miracle will happen, but I want to hear of evidence BEFORE we start playing games

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 23 Dec 2018 14:26

sandman Underwhelmed and confused as fcuk. Which I personally think is understandable given his CV.

But then there are several new age type fans who like to talk about systems, identity and style of play who are treating it like we've got Zidane in as manager.

Just hope it works out.

Yeh this really. I haven't actually seen anyone explain why they think it's a good appointment, other than "he had a great reputation in Portugal" which doesn't actually seem to be true. Really hope it works out, and will be very surprised if it does.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 23 Dec 2018 14:32

1 Prior to his emergence RFC-wise, how could anyone UK-Based have ever heard of this guy? They couldn't.

2 IF they did, why would they, after looking at his record, think, "Excellent Record in the past" or "Wow, promising manager"? They wouldn't.

3 What, specifically, in his record, suggests he ought to be a good manager ANYWHERE, let alone the Championship? Nothing.

4 Why do people say, "First thing he needs to do is sort out our defence" when his record (and the words of Portuguese pundits) say he is not good defensively? Tbf that still is the first thing he needs to sort out, that and whether or not he can or can't are not mutually exclusive.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 23 Dec 2018 14:41

CountryRoyal

4 Why do people say, "First thing he needs to do is sort out our defence" when his record (and the words of Portuguese pundits) say he is not good defensively? Tbf that still is the first thing he needs to sort out, that and whether or not he can or can't are not mutually exclusive.

What I mean is (arguing that our defensive qualities are definitely lacking)

why bring in a manager who has been criticised for NOT being good defensively?

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 23 Dec 2018 15:05

I'm confused as fcuk but 100% behind the manager. Feels like too much misplaced ire directed at him. He's basically a patsy and absolutely not to blame for anything. Not his fault the heirarchy at the club have had a 3 week long collective brainfart and I won't be blaming Gomes if or when it goes even more to shit than it already is

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 23 Dec 2018 15:15

From Despair To Where? I'm confused as fcuk but 100% behind the manager. Feels like too much misplaced ire directed at him. He's basically a patsy and absolutely not to blame for anything. Not his fault the heirarchy at the club have had a 3 week long collective brainfart and I won't be blaming Gomes if or when it goes even more to shit than it already is

I've got nothing against him at all, just completely bemused as to why they appointed him.

andrew1957
Hob Nob Regular

by andrew1957 » 23 Dec 2018 15:17

I really think that there is a good chance that the new manager will only last 10 or so games. I said in another thread a few days ago that this was a bonkers appointment and I have heard nothing to change my mind. Nothing against the guy at all and very much hope I am wrong. But it just seems like entirely the wrong route to take in our current position. For whatever reason it seems like to club hierarchy want the club to be relegated. Very odd.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 23 Dec 2018 15:33

Pepe the Horseman
From Despair To Where? I'm confused as fcuk but 100% behind the manager. Feels like too much misplaced ire directed at him. He's basically a patsy and absolutely not to blame for anything. Not his fault the heirarchy at the club have had a 3 week long collective brainfart and I won't be blaming Gomes if or when it goes even more to shit than it already is

I've got nothing against him at all, just completely bemused as to why they appointed him.

I still have no idea why they thought sacking Clement was a good idea. Things were slowly getting better and now we've taken God knows how many steps back.

Sacked on a whim by the looks of it. Wouldn't mind so much if they had a strategic plan to replace him but it appears not.