Total votes: 127
Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

Re: José Gomes whelmguage

by Nameless » 09 Aug 2019 22:18

maffff
Denver Royal
maffff
Based on the end of last season through to now. Time will tell, but that's the current standing in my view.

Wait, it’s actually the manager that’s making the signings at our club again?

Must have a say but there's Kia's fingerprints over Rafael, Miazga, João, Boyé and Puscas at the bare minimum.

Seen reports that he absolutely has been closely involved.
Would love to know his intentions. Can’t be a big money maker finding cheap loan signings for a lower end Championship. Presumably he’s either playing a long game or just likes his local club.

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 12 Aug 2019 13:00

I'd just like to say that if the whelmguage is a permanent replacement for the Rougeometer, then it looks set to be a more than adequate one. If there's one thing that has me solidly whelmed apart from Jose Gomes, it's the whelmguage itself.

Greatwesternline
Hob Nob Addict

by Greatwesternline » 12 Aug 2019 13:52

His main benefit that everyone is attributing to him is that he "got everyone feeling happy about the place again".

I would say that was the easiest thing to do on his list of things he had to do, which were:

Improve the atmosphere
Improve the results
Sign the right players in January
Keep Reading up
Improve the quality of football

He improved the feel good factor by telling everyone how hard he would work, how much he loved the club, why he was determined to be a success, and chatted less bull than previous failing managers.

I would argue that bit wasnt that hard, its easy to say you love a club, when its sort of the highest profile club you've ever managed, and nothing on your CV suggests you really deserve the opportunity. I would love it if a 2nd flight top european country team approached me as manager if i hadn't much success to speak of anywhere.

He did improve the results, we stopped losing. We didnt necessarily start winning any more than before.

Hi did sign the right players.
He did keep us up.

Still to be proven whether he has improved the football. We aren't winning more. We began to draw more. We've started with two defeats. 2 tough matches next. He needs to start winning. He doesn't have that much credit in his account. He has some, for the fact we became harder to beat, but not that much harder. He has some because he kept us up. But if we are in the relegation zone again this season he'll have lost that.

As to giving him time for his signing to "gel", other teams need their signings to gel too. Perhaps teams who are more strategic in their thinking dont sign all their players once their pre-season is complete....

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 12 Aug 2019 17:58

We're still very much in rebuild phase (as we constantly are because we oxf*rd it up).

If you look at Coppell as the pinnacle, he mixed a blend of signing types. Not just youth and experience, but short term stop gaps and succession players for when successful ones left later.

If you look at our business pre 106, you get the likes of Owusu, not great, but cheap and he tided us over. Then you get signings like Gunnarsson. Top quality cover for Sidwell and Harper, active competition for them and also someone ready and waiting to slot in if we failed to go up and Sidwell left. You look at Hunt and Sonko... players who didn't have a huge starting impact in their first season but grew into the side.

At the moment we're spending so much time desperately trying to repair the damage previously done that we're having to buy 3/4s of a new team every year and there's very little option for proper future planning. Which means every summer we have to bring in late signings and have lots of new players to gel with no real spine to build around.

So I do think it's fair to say you have to give Gomes time this season. But I would say that, because I don't think anyone should even consider sacking a manager before 15 games into the season, and the earliest the trigger should be pulled is 20.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 12 Aug 2019 18:29

Greatwesternline

As to giving him time for his signing to "gel", other teams need their signings to gel too. Perhaps teams who are more strategic in their thinking dont sign all their players once their pre-season is complete....

That's unfair.

We clearly couldn't sign anybody, "spend any money", then in the last week,
the money was somehow created and we could

StellaPlease

by StellaPlease » 12 Aug 2019 19:21

Cardiff is such a big game. Lose that which is likely, and we'll be going to west brom and Huddersfieldwith the prospect of losing 5 in a row.