BBC Radio Berks

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: BBC Radio Berks

by sandman » 01 Jan 2019 20:30

Someone may need to inform Senhor Gomes of that season's results at Brentford, Fulham and Norwich. And show him how almost every statistic said we should have been near the bottom of the league.
Last edited by sandman on 01 Jan 2019 22:27, edited 1 time in total.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 01 Jan 2019 20:45

Incidentally have BBCRB run the interview that Tim had with Nigel Howe today or was that just an unofficial chat?

One thing they did say was that JG was the first and only choice they wanted (so I really don’t know what the Castro thing was all about then). Apparently that’s who Mr Dai identified him from the options considered. No info though on how or why JG had been identified as first choice.

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 01 Jan 2019 20:49

Sutekh Incidentally have BBCRB run the interview that Tim had with Nigel Howe today or was that just an unofficial chat?

One thing they did say was that JG was the first and only choice they wanted (so I really don’t know what the Castro thing was all about then). Apparently that’s who Mr Dai identified him from the options considered. No info though on how or why JG had been identified as first choice.

Supposedly JG was Pat Dolan's idea.

hughsies no.1

by hughsies no.1 » 01 Jan 2019 20:49

Don’t have a problem with Dellor, comes across as a genuine, very knowledgeable fan who truly cares for the club and its best interests and is entitled to his own opinions even if I don’t agree with them all. I thought his interview with Gomes was poor today, trying to draw comparisons to Stam and targeting possession football, Gomes handled it well and spoke very well I thought.

Gooding I don’t mind either, only thing that winds me up is when he says ‘listen’ before anything he says, if you haven’t picked up on it before you will now.

Ady is the one I have an issue with, just seems to me like he has his own agenda and I don’t buy into his talk of being 100% behind the team. He seems bitter about something and have noticed it for years, not just recently when his mate Parky didn’t get the job. As much of a club legend he is, I don’t think he adds anything to the show, would have Glenn Little over him every week.

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 01 Jan 2019 21:39

Love how people lecture Dellor and then come up with crackers like this.

https://mobile.twitter.com/razor5edge/status/1080162747885727746

Yeah mate. You know what else those managers have? Some oxf*rd decent players to play it.

tmesis
Hob Nob Regular

by tmesis » 01 Jan 2019 21:45

sandman Love how people lecture Dellor and then come up with crackers like this.

Yeah mate. You know what else those managers have? Some oxf*rd decent players to play it.

Possession football isn't something that only top players can play. It's the norm around the world.

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 01 Jan 2019 21:46

hughsies no.1 I thought his interview with Gomes was poor today, trying to draw comparisons to Stam and targeting possession football, Gomes handled it well and spoke very well I thought.

Gomes has stated he wants the team to play possession based football. Thought that the clarification on the topic was good, i.e. not Dutch possession!. Where from an early age it's about passing and retaining the ball. Even it doesn't go anywhere. Hardly surprising that the Dutch no longer make the upper echelons of world football. Marco van Basten, Ruud Gullit, Dennis Bergkamp, Johan Cruyff to name a few.

Over time Gomes and Dellor will build a relationship. Like all new ones misunderstanding need ironing out.

tmesis
Hob Nob Regular

by tmesis » 01 Jan 2019 23:36

Lower West
hughsies no.1 I thought his interview with Gomes was poor today, trying to draw comparisons to Stam and targeting possession football, Gomes handled it well and spoke very well I thought.

Gomes has stated he wants the team to play possession based football. Thought that the clarification on the topic was good, i.e. not Dutch possession!. Where from an early age it's about passing and retaining the ball. Even it doesn't go anywhere. Hardly surprising that the Dutch no longer make the upper echelons of world football. Marco van Basten, Ruud Gullit, Dennis Bergkamp, Johan Cruyff to name a few.

Over time Gomes and Dellor will build a relationship. Like all new ones misunderstanding need ironing out.

Have you ever actually seen Dutch football? Dutch football is nothing like the sort of football we played under Stam.

The problem wasn't so much that we played "Dutch football", because we didn't. It's that we played a slow, ponderous parody of dutch football, with a set of players who are criminally uncreative.

Also, the big reason the Dutch are a bit up and down on the international stage is that their country only has a third of the population of ours. It's not because Dutch football is failing.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 02 Jan 2019 10:18

yep. almost nothing frustrates me more than people calling all possession football 'Stam-ball'

Stam had the team playing the most negative and slow moving possession based football I've seen. Think it worked in year 1 as teams just didn't know how to counter it. But even then it seemed to baffle many how we managed to succeed with it. Its completely different to say what Man City play. In fact Swansea yesterday are the only team I've seen come close to what Stam had us doing.

royal_rumble

by royal_rumble » 02 Jan 2019 10:35

Don't understand why Dellor and Berks get such a hard time. In terms of an managerial appointment, this one had no margin for error, staring at relegation and with a oversized and under performing squad, we need someone who could come in and hit the ground running.

This appointment was left field, nobody can profess to know much about Gomes, and didn't exactly fit the mould of a manger who would get us organised and out of trouble. So far what I've seen reminds me of Stam, and how the approach seems to be possession based football just for the sakes of it.

Of course time will tell. But seems they are calling it like they see it - which is what they should be doing?

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 02 Jan 2019 10:39

Hound yep. almost nothing frustrates me more than people calling all possession football 'Stam-ball'

Stam had the team playing the most negative and slow moving possession based football I've seen. Think it worked in year 1 as teams just didn't know how to counter it. But even then it seemed to baffle many how we managed to succeed with it. Its completely different to say what Man City play. In fact Swansea yesterday are the only team I've seen come close to what Stam had us doing.

I'd describe Swansea's play as exactly what I would like to see at Reading. Fast moving technical football with a sense of purpose, was thoroughly impressed with them and I think it is the style of play Gomes wants us to have. We simply don't have the players for it right now though.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 02 Jan 2019 10:40

royal_rumble Don't understand why Dellor and Berks get such a hard time. In terms of an managerial appointment, this one had no margin for error, staring at relegation and with a oversized and under performing squad, we need someone who could come in and hit the ground running.

This appointment was left field, nobody can profess to know much about Gomes, and didn't exactly fit the mould of a manger who would get us organised and out of trouble. So far what I've seen reminds me of Stam, and how the approach seems to be possession based football just for the sakes of it.

Of course time will tell. But seems they are calling it like they see it - which is what they should be doing?

Because they and he in particular have been borderline xenophobic from the very beginning of the manager search.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 02 Jan 2019 10:40

Old Man Andrews
Hound yep. almost nothing frustrates me more than people calling all possession football 'Stam-ball'

I'd describe Swansea's play as exactly what I would like to see at Reading. Fast moving technical football with a sense of purpose, was thoroughly impressed with them and I think it is the style of play Gomes wants us to have. We simply don't have the players for it right now though.

I'd agree but it's easy to play nice football if the other team gives you all the time and space in the world to do it.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 02 Jan 2019 10:52

genome
Old Man Andrews

I'd agree but it's easy to play nice football if the other team gives you all the time and space in the world to do it.

Really? I thought they were poor. Slow moving, negative, over deliberate and constantly making errors. They kept just giving up the ball to us in the first 30. They had 5 shots on target, 8 shots altogether and 1 corner against an absolute shambles of a defence. Did they create a chance other than their goals? Even though we were diabolical, we still managed 16 shots and 7 corners. They were a million miles from someone like Wolves last year. They are a mid table side with a number of Premier league players.

If we played like that each week against teams who actually were capable of playing the game, the board would be full of people whinging about how we've returned to Stam ball.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 02 Jan 2019 10:58

Hound
genome
Old Man Andrews

Really? I thought they were poor. Slow moving, negative, over deliberate and constantly making errors. They kept just giving up the ball to us in the first 30. They had 5 shots on target, 8 shots altogether and 1 corner against an absolute shambles of a defence. Even though we were diabolical, we still managed 16 shots and 7 corners. They were a million miles from someone like Wolves last year

If we played like that each week against teams who actually were capable of playing the game, the board would be full of people whinging about how we've returned to Stam ball.

I liked what I saw from them. Two high quality wingers stretching the play, quality midfielder in Fer dictating the pace with a top notch striker to finish the chances. I liked it but it's each to their own eh.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 02 Jan 2019 11:07

would agree McBurnie was a handful.

Would have to put everything in context of what a shambles our performance was. I'd point to something like the display Ipswich put on against us in the first half of that match, which was miles better, as to what a team should be doing - and they are cr@p

3points
Hob Nob Regular

by 3points » 02 Jan 2019 13:25

Hound would agree McBurnie was a handful.

Would have to put everything in context of what a shambles our performance was. I'd point to something like the display Ipswich put on against us in the first half of that match, which was miles better, as to what a team should be doing - and they are cr@p

Also the first 20 minutes or so by Millwall at the Madejski.

Still think the best footballing team we've seen this season at home is Norwich. That's how Gomes wants us to play imo

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 02 Jan 2019 16:50

tmesis
sandman Love how people lecture Dellor and then come up with crackers like this.

Possession football isn't something that only top players can play. It's the norm around the world.
Have you ever actually seen Dutch football? Dutch football is nothing like the sort of football we played under Stam.
Also, the big reason the Dutch are a bit up and down on the international stage is that their country only has a third of the population of ours. It's not because Dutch football is failing.

Well said. Yet despite your efforts, suspect you well know it won't stop all the references to it, esp after a defeat.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 02 Jan 2019 17:11

Denver Royal
tmesis

Well said. Yet despite your efforts, suspect you well know it won't stop all the references to it, esp after a defeat.

Think you’re kind of missing sandman’s point. The managers mentioned in that tweet are predominately managers of big hitting rich clubs in their divisions. They can afford the best players.

We’re not in that position at the moment.

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 02 Jan 2019 17:32

leon
Denver Royal
tmesis Possession football isn't something that only top players can play. It's the norm around the world.

Think you’re kind of missing sandman’s point. The managers mentioned in that tweet are predominately managers of big hitting rich clubs in their divisions. They can afford the best players.
We’re not in that position at the moment.

sandman has made the same point many times. I didn't miss it now, or then. Was responding more to tmesis' point.