BFTG - Swansea

205 posts
Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

Re: BFTG - Swansea

by Snowflake Royal » 02 Jan 2019 13:43

I don't think signing good players will help. We'll just make them shit because of our awful form and team spirit.

Our individual players are rarely as bad as people make out or they appear. They just consistently play below their level because the entire squad is devoid of ideas and enthusiasm. They know they're beaten.

We need to accept the inevitable, shift as many players as poss in Jan, take on a couple of mentally strong ones, take the relegation and have another clear out in June when we can do a clean sweep and bring in a good number, so most of these losers are gone.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 02 Jan 2019 13:48

Snowflake Royal I don't think signing good players will help. We'll just make them shit because of our awful form and team spirit.

Our individual players are rarely as bad as people make out or they appear. They just consistently play below their level because the entire squad is devoid of ideas and enthusiasm. They know they're beaten.

We need to accept the inevitable, shift as many players as poss in Jan, take on a couple of mentally strong ones, take the relegation and have another clear out in June when we can do a clean sweep and bring in a good number, so most of these losers are gone.

Pretty much agree sadly. About preparing for life in Div1

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 02 Jan 2019 13:52

Snowflake Royal I don't think signing good players will help. We'll just make them shit because of our awful form and team spirit.

I agree with Ian Royal fully which confuses and worries me.

Muskrat
Hob Nob Regular

by Muskrat » 02 Jan 2019 14:29

Sad to say it but I've been thinking along the same lines. We have reached the absolute nadir and failing a near miraculous turnaround, we are going down. I guess it comes down to how long the owners and management are willing to delay the preparations for next season.

I heard Gomes giving it the big one on the radio after yesterday's game saying that he was going to speak to players this morning who weren't part of his plans for the rest of the season but frankly I'm not convinced that much will change. Although I do think the team for Saturday will be radically different simply because he's in a no-lose situation and it will serve two purposes - (1) to take a look at some youngsters and (2) to play lip service to the notion that team selection is going to change from here on in.

muirinho
Hob Nob Regular

by muirinho » 02 Jan 2019 14:47

2 world wars, 1 world cup And now I've just watched the extended highlights. My observations, for what they're worth.

1) 1st goal was just a good goal, to be fair. Decent defenders might have done a better job but I think it was a great cross and fantastic header.

2) 2nd goal - Richards just let the man run through to head it across and set up the goal.

3) 3rd goal - Richards again :x :x :x just completely let the guy run in and score, like he forgot he was playing a football match!!??

4) Aluko - from the highlights seemed to do some stuff - very impressed!!

5) My favourite, Swift, ridiculous pass to noone in the middle of the field, and Swansea almost (should have!) scored from. Maybe I'm wrong about him!!!

Overall, to me Richards is nowhere near ready to play for the first team . I put two goals solely down to him. WIthout those cockups we may have had a chance at 1-0 as we did some good stuff.

It just goes to show a weak link in defence can screw everything up. I hope I never see him in a Reading shirt again to be honest. Makes Blackett look reliable!!!

Think that's harsh, he hasn't had a lot of senior experience, he has the piss-poor-defensively Barrow in front of him, he's in a failing team. He shouldn't, though, be playing for the senior team except for emergencies.
Is Gunter still injured? Or already on his way out? He definitely would have been a better option. I don't care he is not left-footed, he is reasonably competent at defending*. Richards is not, he needs loan time in L2, let alone L1.

I want Gomes to succeed, because I'm sick of manager turnover. But as well as querying Richards for Gunter, I have to question Moore being on the bench, instead of playing. O Shea cannot cope with two games in a few games, and Ilori, along with Aluko really really is a player I never want to see in a Reading shirt again.

*Yes I know he shows players wide rather than blocking or tackling - clearly been brought up on the mantra that a fullback is meant to stop his player running inside, and centre backs should deal with crosses - even if you disagree, it is still eons better than allowing them to waltz past him without hindrance.

Maneki Neko
Hob Nob Legend

by Maneki Neko » 02 Jan 2019 15:20

the idea that we just accept relegation is insane.
the club may not survive such an event, financially

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 02 Jan 2019 15:39

completely depends on whether the owners want to hang around

If they really have ploughed 40m into a new training ground, can't see they'll be trying to sell any time soon

A lot of the finances would depend on whether the rubbish expensive players have relegation clauses and whether we could offload them. Wages take up a huge percentage of the turnover - if you could bin or sell off Aluko, Gunter, Baldock, Moore, Ilori, Kelly, Swift, Barrow, McCleary, Meyler, Yiadom - don't think we'd be much worse off tbh. Guessing most of those are on between 500k and 1m per year, so would make up for the loss of TV money

muirinho
Hob Nob Regular

by muirinho » 02 Jan 2019 15:54

Hound completely depends on whether the owners want to hang around

If they really have ploughed 40m into a new training ground, can't see they'll be trying to sell any time soon

A lot of the finances would depend on whether the rubbish expensive players have relegation clauses and whether we could offload them. Wages take up a huge percentage of the turnover - if you could bin or sell off Aluko, Gunter, Baldock, Moore, Ilori, Kelly, Swift, Barrow, McCleary, Meyler, Yiadom - don't think we'd be much worse off tbh. Guessing most of those are on between 500k and 1m per year, so would make up for the loss of TV money

They would also seriously cut back in other less visible (to us) areas - catering staff, groundsmen, under age coaches etc

One of the things that seriously pisses me off about the "let's take relegation" or "let's take administration" options (but especially administration) is somehow this idea that it only affects the supporters, the footballers will be alright anyway, and it's their fault, so who cares.

It's the people who work for the club who are not on footballer salaries that are worst affected, despite being least able to deal with it.

Maneki Neko
Hob Nob Legend

by Maneki Neko » 02 Jan 2019 15:56

they've done nothing of the sort have they?
they'll have just taken out a massive loan on our behalf.

getting rid of those players on those wages will be really oxf*rd difficult, and will basically depend on the players being willing to go/happy to take wage cuts/a club willing to pay money for shit players

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 02 Jan 2019 16:00

Maneki Neko

they've done nothing of the sort have they?
they'll have just taken out a massive loan on our behalf.

getting rid of those players on those wages will be really oxf*rd difficult, and will basically depend on the players being willing to go/happy to take wage cuts/a club willing to pay money for shit players

If they've taken out a loan, they still have to sell a club with a 40m loan against its name - how would they do that?

Agree it isn't easy to get rid of the players, esp the ones on long contracts. Thats obviously the challenge

Maneki Neko
Hob Nob Legend

by Maneki Neko » 02 Jan 2019 16:01

id fold the club and sell the ground and the training ground at a massive profit, but admittedly that's unlikely

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 02 Jan 2019 16:03

muirinho

They would also seriously cut back in other less visible (to us) areas - catering staff, groundsmen, under age coaches etc

One of the things that seriously pisses me off about the "let's take relegation" or "let's take administration" options (but especially administration) is somehow this idea that it only affects the supporters, the footballers will be alright anyway, and it's their fault, so who cares.

It's the people who work for the club who are not on footballer salaries that are worst affected, despite being least able to deal with it.

yeah that is certainly true - and again comes down to the owners, and what they are willing to keep on. Its not a given we'd sack anyone. The Academy is starting to bear fruit again, so think they'd be very reluctant to cut back on that. There is a lot of talent through the age groups with the likes of Nolan and Coniah Boyce-Clarke impressing at a very young age. They still need to cater and keep the ground.

Administration is a whole lot different to relegation of course. Don't think anyone wants to 'take administration', thats a whole different story

Maneki Neko
Hob Nob Legend

by Maneki Neko » 02 Jan 2019 16:09

doubt very much that weve recouped our academy investments with all the money we have received for academy players weve sold.
id imagine its pretty close even if we include money saved by not having to buy players.

that would be the first to go if it was my business

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 02 Jan 2019 16:12

Hound A lot of the finances would depend on whether the rubbish expensive players have relegation clauses and whether we could offload them. Wages take up a huge percentage of the turnover

About 120% of revenue at the last count wasn't it? A ridiculous situation to be in and a shining example of what is wrong with the game these days.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 02 Jan 2019 16:12

slow day at work sorry....

But was scanning through whoscored from the game - couple of things that got my interest.

Naughton and Dyer both had extremely high start positions, and Naughton was basically playing as a second winger. The hottest part on the Swansea heat map was right wing. I thought Barrow had an absolute horror game, and its obvious that they targeted Richards with those 2. Their first 3 goals all came from his position. Richards was crap, but Barrow must take a massive share of the blame. His starting position was way forward of Naughton. tbh, Gomes hasnt come in for much criticism, but he really should have picked up on this. Interesting that Boro also targeted that flank. If Richards is going to play, Harriott or McCleary have to play left wing

Swift again had by far our most touches. It shows Meite as having 10 touches, which is pitiful. Bod had 8 in less than half the time, and Loader, though deeper, had 25.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 02 Jan 2019 16:15

Maneki Neko doubt very much that weve recouped our academy investments with all the money we have received for academy players weve sold.
id imagine its pretty close even if we include money saved by not having to buy players.

Our most saleable assets outside of Swift and Moore are probably the academy players coming through though. Had a lean couple of years, but Rino, Kelly, Richards, Osho, McIntyre, Loader all look likely to be in and around the squad for the forthcoming. Nova' must also be worth a few bob if he doesn't come back.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 02 Jan 2019 16:16

Hound Naughton and Dyer both had extremely high start positions

I could well be wrong*, but isn't that only showing where they touched the ball, not where they were stood? If so it doesn't really give the full picture of where they were playing.

* I've not looked at how they pull it together so there's a good chance I've got that wrong.

Maneki Neko
Hob Nob Legend

by Maneki Neko » 02 Jan 2019 16:19

Hound
Maneki Neko doubt very much that weve recouped our academy investments with all the money we have received for academy players weve sold.

Our most saleable assets outside of Swift and Moore are probably the academy players coming through though. Had a lean couple of years, but Rino, Kelly, Richards, Osho, McIntyre, Loader all look likely to be in and around the squad for the forthcoming. Nova' must also be worth a few bob if he doesn't come back.

but eve if we sold all of them for top whack would that recoup what we have invested in the academy while they've been with us?

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 02 Jan 2019 16:21

Maneki Neko
Hound

but eve if we sold all of them for top whack would that recoup what we have invested in the academy while they've been with us?

suppose depends on what is top whack really. And don't really know what the academy costs - but isn't it about 2m a year? But I'd hope so.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 02 Jan 2019 16:23

Hoop Blah
Hound Naughton and Dyer both had extremely high start positions

I could well be wrong*, but isn't that only showing where they touched the ball, not where they were stood? If so it doesn't really give the full picture of where they were playing.

* I've not looked at how they pull it together so there's a good chance I've got that wrong.

No you are probably right. Though still a relevant stat I think in showing how adventurous they were.

205 posts