CONFIMRED - Ayub Timbe.

Tilehurstsouthbank
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Ayub Timbe.

by Tilehurstsouthbank » 04 Feb 2020 11:58

Snowflake Royal
2 world wars, 1 world cup
muirinho
Judging by all the comments from our new swathe of Kenyan fans, Ayub Timbe is how he is known. The last name is not necessarily the "surname", it may be his father's name. This can be a way of distinguishing a number of people who have the same family name. (Or indeed, Masika may be his surname, but he is known by his forename, and his mother/father's name - i.e., a matronymic or patronymic system). Like they have in Russia.

With, say, Chinese names. Traditionally, they write the surname first, followed by the forenames. So when you are looking at a Chinese name, you're not going to immediately know if they have swapped their name around, to fit Anglosphere conventions, or not. If in doubt, ask. Or see how they sign off emails.

My father in law is not known by his surname, as it is too common where he lives. He'd be called something like John Mary Joe (John son of Mary, daughter of Joe)
My mother in law is never called her official surname, either her birth name or her married name, except in official documents - she's referred to by her father's family nickname - each "branch" of that surname in the area had its own nickname.

Just because a naming convention doesn't fit your narrow worldview, doesn't mean it's not valid.

Yes it does. I don't know why they couldn't be arsed to have proper names like us. Proper English names so we can understand them. And why they have to speak a different language baffles me too. It's not like English is difficult. Even toddlers manage it FFS.

And don't even get me started on them inventing batshit crazy cultures too just to be different.

EDIT: before my dry 'humour' gets me banned for being a thick racist. Yeah of course you're right. Of interest, my post was initially going to be a complaint about how the media seem not to be able to get their heads around foreign names, and this may be another example if his surname is actually Timbe and I'm reading confusing reports of a Masika, thinking we've signed someone else.

I'm interested to hear what you think bring to the table with your 'dry humour'as it isn't humour and it does make you look thick and bigoted. Which you seem to be unhappy to be identified as.

Been thinking this for a while but was shouted down by other posters saying 'he doesn't mean it' and 'It's all tongue in cheek' or words to that effect.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 04 Feb 2020 12:00

Tilehurstsouthbank
Snowflake Royal
Yes it does. I don't know why they couldn't be arsed to have proper names like us. Proper English names so we can understand them. And why they have to speak a different language baffles me too. It's not like English is difficult. Even toddlers manage it FFS.

And don't even get me started on them inventing batshit crazy cultures too just to be different.

EDIT: before my dry 'humour' gets me banned for being a thick racist. Yeah of course you're right. Of interest, my post was initially going to be a complaint about how the media seem not to be able to get their heads around foreign names, and this may be another example if his surname is actually Timbe and I'm reading confusing reports of a Masika, thinking we've signed someone else.

I'm interested to hear what you think bring to the table with your 'dry humour'as it isn't humour and it does make you look thick and bigoted. Which you seem to be unhappy to be identified as.

Been thinking this for a while but was shouted down by other posters saying 'he doesn't mean it' and 'It's all tongue in cheek' or words to that effect.

Well "suspicions of actual racism" do tally with the "possibly racist" user name I guess

Tilehurstsouthbank
Hob Nob Regular

by Tilehurstsouthbank » 04 Feb 2020 12:01

:lol:
Snowball
Tilehurstsouthbank
Snowflake Royal I'm interested to hear what you think bring to the table with your 'dry humour'as it isn't humour and it does make you look thick and bigoted. Which you seem to be unhappy to be identified as.

Well "suspicions of actual racism" do tally with the "possibly racist" user name I guess

"I'm not racist. I just appear that way to be to be edgy"! :lol:
Last edited by Tilehurstsouthbank on 04 Feb 2020 13:12, edited 1 time in total.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 04 Feb 2020 12:02

Snowball
Lower West
Hound
Nah, very much read it as trying to be funny as sadly falling well short on this occasion

Anyway, I'm getting quite excited about this Timbe chap. More I read about him, the more enthused I am

Adjusting to the physicality of Championship football maybe an issue. Perhaps a supersub role. 30 minutes of direct running.

Topical Question: Is he as quick as Shane Long?

The news report on Shane's speeding fine says he is on 60K a week!!

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

Re: CONFIMRED - Ayub Timbe.

by NewCorkSeth » 04 Feb 2020 12:25

Pepe the Horseman
NewCorkSeth Isnt Rinomhota 5ft8?

I always thought he was quite tall, but looks like you're right.

It's his commanding presence that had you fooled.

Ascotexgunner
Hob Nob Addict

by Ascotexgunner » 04 Feb 2020 16:09

Well Ive done the usual thing of Youtubing him. Reminds me of Aluko at Fulham which suggests he could well be more like Aluko at Reading. Id take Barrow back now!!!!!

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 04 Feb 2020 18:12

Snowball
Snowball
Lower West
Adjusting to the physicality of Championship football maybe an issue. Perhaps a supersub role. 30 minutes of direct running.

Topical Question: Is he as quick as Shane Long?

The news report on Shane's speeding fine says he is on 60K a week!!

Aren't speeding fines now based on income? How can he only get a few hundred quid fine?

And I thought >100mph meant auto loss of license. Is he just hiring expensive lawyers?

Crowbar6753

by Crowbar6753 » 04 Feb 2020 19:24

My life, our new found Kenyan hoardes are batshit crazy lol, if and when our new Kenyan "Messi" scores his first goal there will be a total social media meltdown.....time to throw away the Portugese flags and dust off our Kenyan ones ....whose for Kenya Day for the last home match :D

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 04 Feb 2020 19:35

Crowbar6753 My life, our new found Kenyan hoardes are batshit crazy lol, if and when our new Kenyan "Messi" scores his first goal there will be a total social media meltdown.....time to throw away the Portugese flags and dust off our Kenyan ones ....whose for Kenya Day for the last home match :D

I can't imagine much could go wrong with that. :wink:

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 04 Feb 2020 21:43

Snowflake Royal
Crowbar6753 My life, our new found Kenyan hoardes are batshit crazy lol, if and when our new Kenyan "Messi" scores his first goal there will be a total social media meltdown.....time to throw away the Portugese flags and dust off our Kenyan ones ....whose for Kenya Day for the last home match :D

I can't imagine much could go wrong with that. :wink:

Justin Trudeau is keen to come to that apparently.

10539.4 Miles Away
Hob Nob Regular

by 10539.4 Miles Away » 05 Feb 2020 04:15

morganb We've got Timbe
Ayub Timbe
I just don't think you understand
I think you'll agree
He's only 4 foot 3
We've got Ayub Timbe

Nice.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 05 Feb 2020 08:02

muirinho
2 world wars, 1 world cup is timbe masika?

Yes

Ayub Timbe Masika (Kenyan English): ...is a Kenyan professional footballer who currently plays as a forward for Reading in the EFL Championship
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ayub_Masika

You'd have thought a Kenyan site would know what name to use as surname FFS. First name, surname. It's not hard, but some people don't seem to get it.

Then there's nicknames. Gomes/Pele

Ok so now I see on the BBC we had a player called Tuncara Gomes.

How the hell they can use his THIRD name as though it's his first is beyond me.

Aren't the BBC the ones who are allegedly (rightly) laying down the law with Dellor having to use his proper name rather than a nickname, and they are cocking up on their own website.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 05 Feb 2020 10:09

How do you pronounce Timbe?

Timber or Timbay?

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 05 Feb 2020 10:15

genome How do you pronounce Timbe?

Timber or Timbay?

Or Timbee?

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 05 Feb 2020 10:16

Hendo

Timber or Timbay?

Or Timbee?

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 05 Feb 2020 10:21

Hendo

Timber or Timbay?

Or Timbee?

I'm guessing it will be Timb-eh, but add the Reading accent to it and we'll be saying Timbay.

In fact we won't be saying it at all as his name is Masika.

muirinho
Hob Nob Regular

by muirinho » 05 Feb 2020 17:59

Hendo

Timber or Timbay?

Or Timbee?

I'm guessing it will be Timb-eh, but add the Reading accent to it and we'll be saying Timbay.

There's a link on the wikipedia page here to listen to the pronunciation. sounds like Timbay to me

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/ ... Masika.ogg

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 06 Feb 2020 08:46

muirinho
Hendo
Or Timbee?

There's a link on the wikipedia page here to listen to the pronunciation. sounds like Timbay to me

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/ ... Masika.ogg

Timbeh

But of course everyone will be saying TimbAAAYYYY cos we're from Readin' innit.

BraisingsteakRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by BraisingsteakRoyal » 12 Feb 2020 20:01

Let’s face it - he’s bound to be an absolute cart horse.

I daren’t post anything of that nature on social media though.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 15 Apr 2020 09:26

In talks over extending stay

https://www.goal.com/en/news/timbe-keny ... un47g9nm11

Also are Timbe and Wanyama really the only Kenyan internationals to play in England?