Confimred loan - Ovie Ejaria

368 posts
SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Confimred loan - Ovie Ejaria

by SCIAG » 04 Aug 2020 15:03

Rodgers himself said that his failure at Reading taught him how to build a more progressive side at Swansea. I think that sacking turned out OK for all involved.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 05 Aug 2020 12:23

Dat Dellor interview doe

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 05 Aug 2020 12:30

Millsy Dat Dellor interview doe

Tim really lives on that interview, I think it's his proudest moment.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 05 Aug 2020 15:20

tidus_mi2

Probably, which is why I like him. Talked like a fan. Don't want some technically 'better' commentator asking mundane Qs every match. Ask the Qs we all want asked. I know people complain he doesn't do it enough, but he has to tread carefully I guess. MIght've been asked to tone it down by RFC.

Muskrat
Hob Nob Regular

by Muskrat » 06 Aug 2020 18:53

SCIAG Rodgers himself said that his failure at Reading taught him how to build a more progressive side at Swansea. I think that sacking turned out OK for all involved.

By "build a more progessive side", do you mean inherited a pre-assembled play-off ready squad? I agree with your general point though, getting rid of Bodgers certainly worked best for us afterwards!

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 06 Aug 2020 19:27

Muskrat
SCIAG Rodgers himself said that his failure at Reading taught him how to build a more progressive side at Swansea. I think that sacking turned out OK for all involved.

By "build a more progessive side", do you mean inherited a pre-assembled play-off ready squad? I agree with your general point though, getting rid of Bodgers certainly worked best for us afterwards!

Not only did Rodgers have them play much more exciting football than boring Sousa, he also improved the quality of the side. He brought Neil Taylor, Joe Allen, Scott Sinclair, Stephen Dobbie and Fabio Borini in as regulars. He lost Ferre Bodde nearly all season and made them much less dependent on Darren Pratley.

Then, to boot, he improved their league position and then led them to 11th in the Premier League.

By comparison at Reading he inherited a play-off ready squad and nearly got us relegated. So it was a clear step up.

blueroyals
Hob Nob Regular

by blueroyals » 06 Aug 2020 21:15

Millsy
tidus_mi2

Probably, which is why I like him. Talked like a fan. Don't want some technically 'better' commentator asking mundane Qs every match. Ask the Qs we all want asked. I know people complain he doesn't do it enough, but he has to tread carefully I guess. MIght've been asked to tone it down by RFC.

I'd rather have a passionate fan for a commentator than the Heart breakfast Jamie Theakston-type generic radio bot 2000 w*nker we will inevitably get next, who has probably never stepped foot in Reading before.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 07 Aug 2020 07:32

blueroyals
Millsy
tidus_mi2 Tim really lives on that interview, I think it's his proudest moment.

I'd rather have a passionate fan for a commentator than the Heart breakfast Jamie Theakston-type generic radio bot 2000 w*nker we will inevitably get next, who has probably never stepped foot in Reading before.

I’d rather someone who could identify the players correctly and describe the game accurately. Watching via I follow reallyhighlighted how bad he is. His job isn’t be tell us his views, they are to tell us what is happening.
Post match questions might be different but frankly I’m not interested in those anyway.

elrey

by elrey » 07 Aug 2020 09:01

To be fair, he tried to get a "kick and rush" team to play passing football without signing too many players. It was never going to work. He went to Swansea with a set up where the youth players played passing football, the senior team played passing football, each manager was chosen because they could play passing football so there wasn't a massive difference in styles.

Reading chose a manager because they thought he was "good". Nothing more. Not based on the style they wanted.
Swansea did things properly.

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 07 Aug 2020 11:36

elrey

To be fair, he tried to get a "kick and rush" team to play passing football without signing too many players. It was never going to work. He went to Swansea with a set up where the youth players played passing football, the senior team played passing football, each manager was chosen because they could play passing football so there wasn't a massive difference in styles.

Reading chose a manager because they thought he was "good". Nothing more. Not based on the style they wanted.
Swansea did things properly.

But then he went to Leicester who had won the title as the epitome of kick and rush and quickly managed to mould them into his image. He had learned not to be quite so dogmatic. Compare his handling of Long to his handling of Vardy.

Not sure I agree that he didn’t get to sign many players here - we signed seven players including a whole new back line. And when McDermott took over he still used a good style of play because it was the best way to use Sigurdsson. If Rodgers hadn’t sidelined Long, Kebe and Gunnarsson then he’d have had a very strong squad.

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 07 Aug 2020 11:57

tidus_mi2

I missed that, is it online / podcast somewhere?

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 07 Aug 2020 11:58

Well if McDermot can come back for a second go, I think Rogers ought to just as he has unfinished business.

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 07 Aug 2020 12:12

Forbury Lion
tidus_mi2

I missed that, is it online / podcast somewhere?

I searched for it myself, thankfully it was the top result for "Tim Dellor Brendan Rodgers"

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/xctmrs

It's interesting during that interview that the whole thing is pretty standard but when Tim suggested the performance against Scunthorpe was worse than the previous game is where Brendan got incredibly defensive and snarky but a minute later everything was back to normal.

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 07 Aug 2020 12:18

I wish I hadn't continued looking for stuff regarding Reading and Rodgers, came upon a Skysports article discussing Rodgers and what went wrong at Reading and this quite actually wound me up a bit: "The following season culminated in a play-off final between Reading and Rodgers' new club Swansea at Wembley. It wasn't close. Swansea were three up by half-time and went on to win 4-2."

That is the comment of someone who didn't watch the match or is very much ignoring the fact we were an inch of the post away from making it 3-3.

I won't dwell too much as it was almost 10 years ago now.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 07 Aug 2020 12:50

Forbury Lion
Well if McDermot can come back for a second go, I think Rogers ought to just as he has unfinished business.

Forbs, you're proper weird sometimes.

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 07 Aug 2020 15:34

Snowflake Royal
Forbury Lion

Forbs, you're proper weird sometimes.
That's not weird, but my plan for Tommy Burns to have another go with the aide of a medium is.

Mid Sussex Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Mid Sussex Royal » 16 Aug 2020 12:30

Pics on Twitter of him training with us yesterday

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 16 Aug 2020 13:13

Mid Sussex Royal Pics on Twitter of him training with us yesterday

To be expected given the circumstances. Generally I don’t think it’s at all unusual for clubs to allow players not contracted to them to use facilities/train at the club to maintain fitness levels esp. if that player was previously contracted to the club concerned.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 16 Aug 2020 13:28

nah, if he wasn't likely to come, no way would he be training with us when we don't 'own' him. He'd be training with liverpool

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 16 Aug 2020 13:36

Hound nah, if he wasn't likely to come, no way would he be training with us when we don't 'own' him. He'd be training with liverpool

This. If he was a free agent, that would be a different matter, but he’s still owned by Liverpool so really should be training there, under normal circumstances.

368 posts