Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: CONFIMRED - Matt Miazga

by Denver Royal » 25 Jan 2019 15:01

Tilehurstsouthbank
Old Man Andrews
Nameless
1. I haven’t suggested you have said anything personal. Odd comment for you to make.
2. I haven’t said no one can have an opinion. Simply commented that Impressed at how people DO have an opinion on any player, however off the radar they might be. I’m not ALWAYS convinced they haven’t just done a quick Google though !
3. Got better things to do then trawl through hours of French football. I’ll let you do that and report back your findings.

Not sure there is much point this carrying on, better concentrating on talking about actual football than your misunderstanding of posts....

1. You have literally just said my comment was very specific and personal.

2. You should give people a bit more credit than that

3. French Ligue 1 football is on BT Sport every weekend, its easy to find and watch a game.

Full Church do for you two or just a Vegas style Elvis wedding?

Vegas drive thru in a car, would cost less than a hundred. Save dosh for new house, love seat, big screen tv, etc :wink:

Terminal Boardom
Hob Nob Addict

by Terminal Boardom » 25 Jan 2019 15:28

And this thread alone illustrates why I rarely visit this place any more.

Looks to me as if Gomes has identified what's required in the squad and gone and filled the gaps. Bringing in 5 new players mid season is a risk - just look how well Tommy Burns did with the magnificent 7. The positive is that there are 19 games to go. The next 4 months or so will be more than interesting.

stealthpapes
Hob Nob Addict

by stealthpapes » 25 Jan 2019 15:39

yeah, this thread went well.

Young CB with a bit of beef and a good pedigree. Again, not the priority signing but not the worst we could have done.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 25 Jan 2019 15:40

If Ilori is set on moving to Lisbon, then it was a necessity tbh. One injury from having McShane or O'Shea back in....

stealthpapes
Hob Nob Addict

by stealthpapes » 25 Jan 2019 15:42

just look how well Tommy Burns did with the magnificent 7

Genuine question - I see what Gomes has done as fundamentally different to the *chokes* magnificent 7. We had no-one fit, they were all very much short term fixes, it felt - really felt - like the last throw of the dice. This, on the other hand, feels like a sign of what Gomes will do should he get to the summer in one piece.

Anyway, in trying to find exactly who they were, here's 6 of them.

Professional sportsmen, mid90s edition.

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 25 Jan 2019 15:44

Terminal Boardom And this thread alone illustrates why I rarely visit this place any more.

Looks to me as if Gomes has identified what's required in the squad and gone and filled the gaps. Bringing in 5 new players mid season is a risk - just look how well Tommy Burns did with the magnificent 7. The positive is that there are 19 games to go. The next 4 months or so will be more than interesting.

How do you feel it's going at "the ego dome" since "the daft old coot" left, as well as you'd hoped?

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 25 Jan 2019 15:51

stealthpapes
just look how well Tommy Burns did with the magnificent 7

Genuine question - I see what Gomes has done as fundamentally different to the *chokes* magnificent 7. We had no-one fit, they were all very much short term fixes, it felt - really felt - like the last throw of the dice. This, on the other hand, feels like a sign of what Gomes will do should he get to the summer in one piece.

Anyway, in trying to find exactly who they were, here's 6 of them.

Professional sportsmen, mid90s edition.

Amazing :)

Maneki Neko
Hob Nob Legend

by Maneki Neko » 25 Jan 2019 15:52

How do you feel it's going at "the ego dome" since "the daft old coot" left, as well as you'd hoped?

whilst he is forever tarnished by his previous daft statements on madejski. in this post I think he is pretty much spot on

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 25 Jan 2019 15:58

Maneki Neko

whilst he is forever tarnished by his previous daft statements on madejski. in this post I think he is pretty much spot on

Don't disagree too much with the post.

Just couldn't resist.

Tilehurstsouthbank
Hob Nob Regular

by Tilehurstsouthbank » 25 Jan 2019 15:59

sandman
Maneki Neko

Just couldn't resist.

Can't really expect a thread with OMA/DD involvement to go any other way tbf.

Maneki Neko
Hob Nob Legend

by Maneki Neko » 25 Jan 2019 16:08

sandman
Maneki Neko

Just couldn't resist.

don't get me wrong. anyone in that madejski out, wheres all th emoney gone gang needs calling out at every opportunity.
I hold them almost totally responsible for the mess we are in

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 25 Jan 2019 16:22

Gomes seems to have targetted the spine of the team and brought in 5 players who, on paper, are better suited to what he wants to do.

I'm impressed that in 1 month, he's been able to assess the squad, make changes, bring in what appear to be targetted signings and instill a bit of positivity.

It's all about results but I think he's giving us a fighting chance.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 25 Jan 2019 16:38

Its interesting as he actually seems to have found players who are genuinely comfortable in the system. Part of the issue with Stam I always felt was he was asking technically average players to play a game they struggled with.

Very interesting to see how it works out. For whatever reason the board have managed to back him with better pedigree players than were afforded to Clement or Stam and now Gomes has to make it work.

Have a feeling it will either go swimmingly and we'll start winning games in an attractive way, or else it'll be a disaster. I don't think we have a team that is going to scrap its way to safety like we managed to last year

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 25 Jan 2019 16:54

quite good footage of him trolling some short Mexican striker. Along with the groin-grab incident, seems a bit of a tw@t. Again, no bad thing

Ascotexgunner
Hob Nob Addict

by Ascotexgunner » 25 Jan 2019 17:07

Hmmmm US International is he? He wasn't part of that softy pile of sh*te that failed to qualify out of a p*ss easy group was he.....Their defending was bloody comical in the last game against Trindad and Tobago where they lost badly.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 25 Jan 2019 17:07

We needed a CB and a tall, physical one at that.

As a 23 yo Chelsea loaner he's not as experienced as I'd like, which is a bugger as McIntyre and Osho were good. I'm not a fan of young loaner when we have our own ready made youngsters in the same position.

If we had to lose one of Blackett, Ilori or Moore I'd rather it was Moore personally. He's a shadow of his former self, his career is going backwards, he can't be happy, he's made it clear he wants to go and he's the one who'd get the most off the wages whilst bringing in the biggest fee.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 25 Jan 2019 17:17

Hound Its interesting as he actually seems to have found players who are genuinely comfortable in the system. Part of the issue with Stam I always felt was he was asking technically average players to play a game they struggled with.

Very interesting to see how it works out. For whatever reason the board have managed to back him with better pedigree players than were afforded to Clement or Stam and now Gomes has to make it work.

Have a feeling it will either go swimmingly and we'll start winning games in an attractive way, or else it'll be a disaster. I don't think we have a team that is going to scrap its way to safety like we managed to last year

Agree with most of this but not the last bit. I thought we were dire under Clement at the fag end of last season and very lucky to beat the fakes and Preston. I suppose they showed a bit of fight in those two games but didn’t show much fight in the other games under him last season.

I do like what Gomes has done in this window. It makes sense BUT we really must look to get rid of some deadwood over the next few days as the squad is as bloated as ever.

Brain Traysers

by Brain Traysers » 25 Jan 2019 17:22

He could potentially be the physically dominant CB we are after, which would allow Moore to tidy up after.

At 6'3" he's the joint tallest outfield player we have, and only Bod is (reportedly) heavier, so a he's bit of a unit. He wins 2/3 of aerial duels, which stands up very well in comparison to our current CBs. Only O'Shea has won more with 78% this season (!), but his career avg is 60%, in line with Illori (also 60%) and Moore (59%), and way ahead of not-really-a-centre-back Blackett (43%).

That translates to him begin a bit of a threat in the box too, with 0.8 shots per 90 mins as a result of set pieces over his career - Meite is at 0.9/90 for us this season- our best CB threats are currently Moore and Illori tied with 0.3 per 90 so a lot of room for improvement there.

Could be a decent loan signing - USMNT fans were very excited when Chelsea signed him, lets hope his European loans have continued his development and he isn't another one in the Chelsea loan pool for too long.

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 25 Jan 2019 17:25

Terminal Boardom And this thread alone illustrates why I rarely visit this place any more.

All on loan. Doesn't solve the problem for next season. This is akin to Steve Clarke's reign in reverse. Short termism.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 25 Jan 2019 17:27

Zip
Hound Its interesting as he actually seems to have found players who are genuinely comfortable in the system. Part of the issue with Stam I always felt was he was asking technically average players to play a game they struggled with.

Agree with most of this but not the last bit. I thought we were dire under Clement at the fag end of last season and very lucky to beat the fakes and Preston. I suppose they showed a bit of fight in those two games but didn’t show much fight in the other games under him last season.

I do like what Gomes has done in this window. It makes sense BUT we really must look to get rid of some deadwood over the next few days as the squad is as bloated as ever.

Here's what I think happened at the tail end last season.

The players were complacent and shit. Stam was clueless and inflexible. His sacking and Clement's initial work gave the players a kick up the arse and they developed some fight, getting those two early wins despite not much quality improvement. That reinforced their belief they were never in danger and they went back to being limp losers complacentley sleep walking towards a relegation they narrowly avoided thanks to a really atrocious bottom seven that year.

133 posts