CONFIMRED - Matt Miazga

133 posts
Terminal Boardom
Hob Nob Addict

Re: CONFIMRED - Matt Miazga

by Terminal Boardom » 26 Jan 2019 08:40

Lower West
Terminal Boardom And this thread alone illustrates why I rarely visit this place any more.

Looks to me as if Gomes has identified what's required in the squad and gone and filled the gaps. Bringing in 5 new players mid season is a risk - just look how well Tommy Burns did with the magnificent 7. The positive is that there are 19 games to go. The next 4 months or so will be more than interesting.

All on loan. Doesn't solve the problem for next season. This is akin to Steve Clarke's reign in reverse. Short termism.

True. But if they do come off and Reading stay up then that has to be a positive. It also gives Gomes time to see who can come in permanently. Who knows, some of these loans might translate into permanent signings. I think it also indicates that Nigel Howe has a far better understanding of the club than Gourlay ever had.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 26 Jan 2019 09:37

Also, not many players of the required quality will want to commit permenantly to us when we are as likely to be in League 1 next year as the Championship.

If we stay up on the back of some quality loanees then suddenly the club looks a completely different proposition for potential new players, we are a club bouncing back rather than one hitting rock bottom.

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 26 Jan 2019 11:37

From Despair To Where?
If we stay up on the back of some quality loanees then suddenly the club looks a completely different proposition for potential new players, we are a club bouncing back rather than one hitting rock bottom.

If half the team is loanees then still no foundation for next season. As most if not all will be gone. Oliveria for one will be looking to put himself in the shop window. Still no further forward to building a backbone of a team. As we know all too well many transfers don't work out. Just look at the revolving door over recent years. Still no stability either.

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 26 Jan 2019 11:52

Lower West
Nameless We’ve got 5 options we can use at left back ! Not all perfect, not all available right now.

Given our current predicament. Adequate isn't good enough. With Barrow offering little cover. Opposition managers will simply target the weakness. Playing a right footer upsets the balance of the team .

Spot on.
I think some of the posters have short memories-we are where we are (in the relegation places) in part because of poor availability at left-back.
Just because supposedly somebody or another CAN play there is not good enough and looking at our results and performances none of the current choices are up to it.
Personally I would stick with Richards, if we don't sign anybody, as he is left-footed (as opposed to Yiadom and Gunter) is fit ?(unlike Obita) and IMHO has greater potential than Blackett.

Coming back to this latest signing, on looking at Wikipedia I see that he played with Baker at Vitesse Arnhem so maybe they are mates or have the same agent but this could explain how we have got him.
I doubt that the manager has ever seen him play in the flesh unless he is like OMA and watches games from every country in the world day and night (as well as looking at videos of our own players) and at the same time managing at a football club and leading a family life.

As others have said, the club has realised what dire straits we are in and has done something about it-now we will see how well these diverse nationalities fit in and keep our fingers crossed.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 26 Jan 2019 12:09

Lower West
From Despair To Where?

If half the team is loanees then still no foundation for next season. As most if not all will be gone. Oliveria for one will be looking to put himself in the shop window. Still no further forward to building a backbone of a team. As we know all too well many transfers don't work out. Just look at the revolving door over recent years. Still no stability either.

We don't want stability right now in the squad, we want dramatic change because it's chock full of overpaid mediocrity who don't perform. This is a necessary stop gap for the continued rebuild we need, because we can't achieve the sorts of outs and ins we need in a January window in the relegation zone with a bloated squad.

Whether the individual signings are right, or the number of loanees has maybe gone a bit too far (3/4 loan and 1/2 perm seems the better balance to me) is questionable.

There is a time for short termism, and it's when you're mid-way through a relegation fight. Burns' magnificently shit seven was a bad call because a lot were perm and there wasn't enough time left to realistically make a difference. Clarke's loanees were a bad call because we were trying to get promoted and they'd never be motivated for the whole season outside a continuing play off challenge.

Our current circumstances are different to both of those.

And I disagree we have no foundation for next season. We've got a lot of unrealised potential in our younger players and some decent experience. We just need to take the time to find the right missing links and personalities to fill in the holes after a clean break.

Duffy

by Duffy » 26 Jan 2019 12:10

Lower West
From Despair To Where?

How do you know these aren't loans with a view to signing permanently should we stay up?

Emmer Green Royal

by Emmer Green Royal » 26 Jan 2019 12:18

[quote="Terminal Boardom"]And this thread alone illustrates why I rarely visit this place any more.
[/quote]

Same here. HNA used to be great for info and gossip during the transfer windows. Now it's sadly just a waste of time.

stealthpapes
Hob Nob Addict

by stealthpapes » 26 Jan 2019 12:20

Ascotexgunner Hmmmm US International is he? He wasn't part of that softy pile of sh*te that failed to qualify out of a p*ss easy group was he.....Their defending was bloody comical in the last game against Trindad and Tobago where they lost badly.

No.

In other news.

3points
Hob Nob Regular

by 3points » 26 Jan 2019 14:47

stealthpapes
Ascotexgunner Hmmmm US International is he? He wasn't part of that softy pile of sh*te that failed to qualify out of a p*ss easy group was he.....Their defending was bloody comical in the last game against Trindad and Tobago where they lost badly.

No.

In other news.

Looks like he’ll get on great with Liam Kelly then

stealthpapes
Hob Nob Addict

by stealthpapes » 26 Jan 2019 15:09

only if Liam rocks up in his sombrero.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 26 Jan 2019 16:53

Seems like a dickhead.

That pisstake of the poor Mexican chap in what was meant to be a friendly just goes to show what a prick he is.

Yeah he's new to the club and we should obviously be positive but he's a c**t.

I bet he'sa MAGA wall lover.

He's not even that big FFS, he'd be the little guy in my family.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 26 Jan 2019 20:14

2 world wars, 1 world cup He's not even that big FFS, he'd be the little guy in my family.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=VqZY2zatqDg

:wink:

Jinx

by Jinx » 26 Jan 2019 21:48

2 world wars, 1 world cup Seems like a dickhead.

That pisstake of the poor Mexican chap in what was meant to be a friendly just goes to show what a prick he is.

Is this irony?
Your user name is an anti-German song but your profile calls 17m people xenophobic?

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 26 Jan 2019 22:12

Jinx

Is this irony?
Your user name is an anti-German song but your profile calls 17m people xenophobic?

I'm interested in where you got 17 million from? 62 million people voted for Trump.

Wycombe Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by Wycombe Royal » 26 Jan 2019 22:40

Snowflake Royal
Jinx

Is this irony?

I'm interested in where you got 17 million from? 62 million people voted for Trump.

Brexit.....

Libertine
Hob Nob Addict
Location: Connecticut...aka "The Fifth Ring of Hell" & Prediction League Champion 2015/2016

by Libertine » 27 Jan 2019 04:18

HAHAHAHA!!! A football match between the US and Mexico? Friendly? There is nothing ever friendly about any US-Mexico match. Nothing...ever...even...remotely...friendly...full stop.

So Lainez rakes his studs across Miazga's achilles and then gets in Miazga's face/squares him up after Lainez is called for a foul. Miazga was just pointing out the reality of the situation to the "tough guy". Two minutes after that incident a Mexican player gets a straight red and four minutes after that the US score and end up winning. With some of the crap that has gone on between the teams over the decades Miazga doesn't even make the top 10 infamous moments list...

The US has a bit of swagger when playing other CONCACAF teams. Lots of trash is talked (see example below) to go along with lots of dirty, chippy, play all around.

Libertine
Hob Nob Addict
Location: Connecticut...aka "The Fifth Ring of Hell" & Prediction League Champion 2015/2016

by Libertine » 27 Jan 2019 06:52

But by no means am I saying that Miazga is an altar boy... :D

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 27 Jan 2019 08:14

The team NEEDS Animals/Thugs/Mr Nasty

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 27 Jan 2019 09:49

Libertine But by no means am I saying that Miazga is an altar boy... :D

More like a priest.

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 27 Jan 2019 10:34

Some people on here could have an argument in a empty room.

133 posts