MATCHWATCH : Aston Villa (h) sponsored by not long to desperation

Ascotexgunner
Hob Nob Addict

Re: MATCHWATCH : Aston Villa (h) sponsored by not long to desperation

by Ascotexgunner » 02 Feb 2019 18:09

Wish we could just drop this "thing" some people have for Clement and comparing him right now. He was awful and clueless and the football was awful. Gomez isn't perfect but I'm happier he is at least trying to push us in the right direction, and that the loan signings are coming together slowly. It might just save us. A good clean sheet today as well. The defence looks much better and assured. Oliveira to me looks better than the options we currently have I just wish Swift would step up more. Our creativity now is the part I worry about but this team are still gelling.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 02 Feb 2019 18:12

It's not really got anything to do with Clement. The fact is Gomes was brought in to improve results. So unless you look at the results before he took over, how do you measure success?

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 02 Feb 2019 18:17

sandman
Pepe the Horseman
10539.4 Miles Away I can't believe this has gone almost without mention.

https://imgur.com/a/g8sV3sY

100% deliberate and we lost all direction up front afterward. Love the look of Olivera

Got previous as well, dirty pcunt. Ref had a shocker.

Indeed he does.

Christ. That's even worse than I remember!

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 02 Feb 2019 18:21

John Madejski's Wallet Martinez looks like someone had given a defender some gloves.
So far I much prefer Jakkola

Really? Martinez has been a clear upgrade for me, both with his hands and his feet. He's seems more confident and assured, and organizes the defence with more authority. I think he came for one cross today and didn't get there, but came for about twenty others and did. Think it helps he comes out a lot, given our aerial deficiencies in the past. Can you offer any specifics as to why Jaak is a better keeper? Anyway, it's all about opinions...

10539.4 Miles Away
Hob Nob Regular

by 10539.4 Miles Away » 02 Feb 2019 18:28

NewCorkSeth

100% deliberate and we lost all direction up front afterward. Love the look of Olivera

Anyone got a full speed version? From experience it is very easy to make sure your foot doesn't land on somebodies face.

Stupidly I didn't screen record the full speed :/

And agreed completely, there's plenty of time for him to hop/move his foot / lessen the impact. And if its an accident then you don't run another 3 or 4 yards before checking he's ok.

10539.4 Miles Away
Hob Nob Regular

by 10539.4 Miles Away » 02 Feb 2019 18:30

Ascotexgunner Wish we could just drop this "thing" some people have for Clement and comparing him right now. He was awful and clueless and the football was awful. Gomez isn't perfect but I'm happier he is at least trying to push us in the right direction, and that the loan signings are coming together slowly. It might just save us. A good clean sheet today as well. The defence looks much better and assured. Oliveira to me looks better than the options we currently have I just wish Swift would step up more. Our creativity now is the part I worry about but this team are still gelling.

I'm with you ascot. Clement was on a par with Terry the Taxi for me. A part of our history best forgotten. Just listen to Gomes' interviews, he may just be expert at saying the right things but it really feels we've turned a corner. The results will come.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: MATCHWATCH : Astaon Villa (h) sponsored by not long to desperation

by Sutekh » 02 Feb 2019 18:40

Snowflake Royal

Ouch!

I struggle to see that as deliberate though, you'd have to be phenomenally in control and nasty to see the chance, decide to do it and succeed at it in those milliseconds between lunging for the ball and being past him already.

Maybe other shots and full speed tell a different story.

Hope Oliveira's ok.

Didn’t see it anyway deliberate and to be fair to Mings he immediately turned around saw Oliveira on the ground and got the ref to stop the game which doesn’t strike me as the move of someone who had committed a premeditated act.

But then perhaps that’s what he wanted us to think.....

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 02 Feb 2019 18:59

10539.4 Miles Away
Ascotexgunner Wish we could just drop this "thing" some people have for Clement and comparing him right now. He was awful and clueless and the football was awful. Gomez isn't perfect but I'm happier he is at least trying to push us in the right direction, and that the loan signings are coming together slowly. It might just save us. A good clean sheet today as well. The defence looks much better and assured. Oliveira to me looks better than the options we currently have I just wish Swift would step up more. Our creativity now is the part I worry about but this team are still gelling.

I'm with you ascot. Clement was on a par with Terry the Taxi for me. A part of our history best forgotten. Just listen to Gomes' interviews, he may just be expert at saying the right things but it really feels we've turned a corner. The results will come.

+1
Maybe midweek or over the Summer, I could see it. But literally within minutes of the final whistle on a Sat, after a tense hard earned draw, 'Quick, lets get to work and see how he compares to Clement and post it!'. It just seems like a lot of time and negative energy (by those claiming to have no agenda and to be 'honestly' neutral). The timing just seems odd to me.
For me, Gomes' main remit right now is not necessarily results, but rather to keep us up. If he does that, yet his record somehow happened to be worse than Clement's at that point, then I'd still be ok with it because the main objective (for this season) will have been achieved. Decision was made (by the club), Clement is gone, and he's not coming back.
Last edited by Denver Royal on 02 Feb 2019 19:11, edited 4 times in total.

Ascotexgunner
Hob Nob Addict

by Ascotexgunner » 02 Feb 2019 19:01

Snowflake Royal It's not really got anything to do with Clement. The fact is Gomes was brought in to improve results. So unless you look at the results before he took over, how do you measure success?

Unlike previous managers Gomes hasn't had the luxury of a summer to build....this transfer window has looked positive....so your right you can't compare, but as it stands the new man looks a way better bet. The dross we have been lumbered with by Clement/Gourley was really hurting the club.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 02 Feb 2019 19:08

Surely if the playing record under Gomes is worse than under Clement then club is certain for relegation barring complete and utter collapses at Rotherham and/or Bolton

John Madejski's Wallet
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Anyone who lives within their means shows a serious lack of imagination

by John Madejski's Wallet » 02 Feb 2019 19:40

Denver Royal
John Madejski's Wallet Martinez looks like someone had given a defender some gloves.

Really? Martinez has been a clear upgrade for me, both with his hands and his feet. He's seems more confident and assured, and organizes the defence with more authority. I think he came for one cross today and didn't get there, but came for about twenty others and did. Think it helps he comes out a lot, given our aerial deficiencies in the past. Can you offer any specifics as to why Jaak is a better keeper? Anyway, it's all about opinions...

Today he flapped at a cross and was saved by the crossbar and hung Yiadom out to dry 3 times by not coming out and giving him an option when he was chasing a ball back towards his own goal line under pressure. So yeah, not convinced.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 02 Feb 2019 20:06

Denver Royal
10539.4 Miles Away

+1
Maybe midweek or over the Summer, I could see it. But literally within minutes of the final whistle on a Sat, after a tense hard earned draw, 'Quick, lets get to work and see how he compares to Clement and post it!'. It just seems like a lot of time and negative energy (by those claiming to have no agenda and to be 'honestly' neutral). The timing just seems odd to me.
For me, Gomes' main remit right now is not necessarily results, but rather to keep us up. If he does that, yet his record somehow happened to be worse than Clement's at that point, then I'd still be ok with it because the main objective (for this season) will have been achieved. Decision was made (by the club), Clement is gone, and he's not coming back.

A not so subtle dig at me I see, despite talking to me about it before the game and telling me to include a different comparison. If you want to have a go, maybe have the balls to name me to say it to me. :roll:

I was online to see the result and follow the game, it's not hard to do. If you'd actually read what I said in the post, it was hardly pushing an agenda or negative.

Can you explain how Gomes keeps us up without getting results, because that's a baffling comment to make that his job isn't to get them! :lol:

No one thinks Clement is coming back, or doesn't realise he's gone.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 02 Feb 2019 20:07

John Madejski's Wallet
Denver Royal

Today he flapped at a cross and was saved by the crossbar and hung Yiadom out to dry 3 times by not coming out and giving him an option when he was chasing a ball back towards his own goal line under pressure. So yeah, not convinced.

I know Denver hates objectivity and measureable performance, but according whoscored Martinez made 2 claims, rather than the 20 he said. How accurate that is, no idea.

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 02 Feb 2019 20:56

Snowflake Royal
John Madejski's Wallet
Denver Royal Really? Martinez has been a clear upgrade for me, both with his hands and his feet. He's seems more confident and assured, and organizes the defence with more authority. I think he came for one cross today and didn't get there, but came for about twenty others and did. Think it helps he comes out a lot, given our aerial deficiencies in the past. Can you offer any specifics as to why Jaak is a better keeper? Anyway, it's all about opinions...

I know Denver hates objectivity and measureable performance, but according whoscored Martinez made 2 claims, rather than the 20 he said. How accurate that is, no idea.

I said he came for 'about' 20 others. As you know, I didn't say he had claimed/caught them all.
To the wider point, do you think Jaakola is the better keeper?
I stand by my assertion that it's unusual from someone claiming no agenda and 'honest' neutrality.
Not for the first time, and certainly not the last, your debate with someone in here ends in acrimony.
And your alarming declaration midweek that most in this venerable forum talk no sense was also duly noted. Don't mind me if I give others way more respect and credit than that and hold them in much higher esteem.
Anyway, in your parlance to another poster in another thread yesterday, 'I'm bored now'. :wink:

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 03 Feb 2019 11:52

Snowflake Royal
Denver Royal
10539.4 Miles Away I'm with you ascot. Clement was on a par with Terry the Taxi for me. A part of our history best forgotten. Just listen to Gomes' interviews, he may just be expert at saying the right things but it really feels we've turned a corner. The results will come.

+1

A not so subtle dig at me I see, despite talking to me about it before the game and telling me to include a different comparison. If you want to have a go, maybe have the balls to name me to say it to me. :roll:

I was online to see the result and follow the game, it's not hard to do. If you'd actually read what I said in the post, it was hardly pushing an agenda or negative.

Can you explain how Gomes keeps us up without getting results, because that's a baffling comment to make that his job isn't to get them!

No one thinks Clement is coming back, or doesn't realise he's gone.

:lol: Ian getting lairy.

Of course it was a dig at you, you’ve had it in for Gomes ever since he got here. And your love for that clueless dullard Clement is well documented.