Gomes Interview

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Gomes Interview

by Nameless » 22 Feb 2019 17:41

Snowflake Royal
Tails
Snowflake Royal If we get relegated do you expect to get sacked?

Why are you always angry?

I'm not?

Nameless, to the end of the season absolutely, but not if we go down IMO. That's not me saying I want him sacked if we go down, or think he should be. I just think the reality is if he's failed that much there's no way the owners and Howe would keep him on. I mean why would we?

Because you have no idea what job he was brought in to do !
I doubt very much the owners took such a short term view that they brought a management team in from overseas with the sole job of keeping us up when that was already a challenge.
I would imagine they gave him the brief to
A) keep us up
B) work with Howe to get the squad sorted in terms of size and cost
C) prepare us for the two possibilities next season

I doubt he would have taken the job on the basis that he had a few months to work a miracle.

My assessment is he’s probably already done enough to ensure he is here until the end of the year minimum and probably until the end of next season.

There is no logic in getting rid of him whatever happens this season

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 22 Feb 2019 17:44

I thought very much the same. The Aluko sale however makes me think he may be part of a longer term turnaround to get rid of the high earners and use the U23. Getting relegated may end up being part of that

He does seem very accepting of the sales we made. Aluko was getting game time under him and yet not the slightest whinge about losing another option who can’t be replaced

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 22 Feb 2019 18:37

Snowflake Royal We didn't do it with Clarke, McDermott or Clement and it failed when we did with Stam, so it seems very unlikely to me.

Again, not talking about what I would do, just what I think those in charge would do.

I don't think the fans or players would stay happier if we were relegated either. Certainly the fans.

Timing of sacking Clement doesn't make sense. If it wasn't a long term appointment. Gomes referred to a "project". The outcome of this season is neither here nor there in the longer term one suspects.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 22 Feb 2019 20:00

Lower West
Snowflake Royal We didn't do it with Clarke, McDermott or Clement and it failed when we did with Stam, so it seems very unlikely to me.

Again, not talking about what I would do, just what I think those in charge would do.

I don't think the fans or players would stay happier if we were relegated either. Certainly the fans.

Timing of sacking Clement doesn't make sense. If it wasn't a long term appointment. Gomes referred to a "project". The outcome of this season is neither here nor there in the longer term one suspects.

Really? Seemed like a classic, it's not going well knee jerk reaction to improve performances and stay up to me.

Hopefully we'll never find out if I'm wrong or right.