8 home games left.

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

8 home games left.

by windermereROYAL » 04 Feb 2019 05:47

Blackburn, Rotherham, Wigan, Leeds, Preston, Brentford, WBA, Birmingham.

With the possible exception of Leeds and WBA these are all games we should be capable of getting something out of, mid table to lower reaches of the league,
24 points to play for, if for arguments sake we can get 15 points minimum that takes us to 40 points, that puts us within touching distance of the 46 points we will probably need to keep us up.
Football isn`t played on paper and there`s lots of work to be done yet but it certainly gives grounds for optimism.
The Swansea debacle aside Jose as got us playing much better on home turf with successive clean sheets
All we need now is to start scoring. :D
Last edited by windermereROYAL on 04 Feb 2019 09:26, edited 1 time in total.

Old Man Andrews

Re: 8 home games left.

by Old Man Andrews » 04 Feb 2019 08:01

windermereROYAL Blackburn, Rotherham, Wigan, Leeds, Preston, Brentford, WBA, Birmingham.

With the possible exception of Leeds and WBA these are all games we should be capable of getting something out of, mid table to lower reaches of the league,
23 points to play for, if for arguments sake we can get 15 points minimum that takes us to 40 points, that puts us within touching distance of the 46 points we will probably need to keep us up.
Football isn`t played on paper and there`s lots of work to be done yet but it certainly gives grounds for optimism.
The Swansea debacle aside Jose as got us playing much better on home turf with successive clean sheets

We lost to Bolton at home FFS, nothing easy about those games.

maffff
Hob Nob Addict

by maffff » 04 Feb 2019 08:19

23 points to play for? Do Leeds get one as a bonus for bringing more?

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 04 Feb 2019 08:57

maffff 23 points to play for? Do Leeds get one as a bonus for bringing more?

Ok it was early,edited, I always know what to expect from the member that quoted me so that`s irrelevant.
Last edited by windermereROYAL on 04 Feb 2019 09:27, edited 1 time in total.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 04 Feb 2019 09:02

windermereROYAL

Ok it was early, I always know what to expect from the member that quoted me so that`s irrelevant.

I was pointing out we shouldn't think that only the Leeds and WBA games are difficult. Wow.......

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 04 Feb 2019 09:06

Old Man Andrews
windermereROYAL

Ok it was early, I always know what to expect from the member that quoted me so that`s irrelevant.

I was pointing out we shouldn't think that only the Leeds and WBA games are difficult. Wow.......

Point taken, but I firmly believe that we are improving at home since early season, Christ it could hardly be worse, whether that comes to fruition if a completely different matter.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 04 Feb 2019 09:11

windermereROYAL
Old Man Andrews
windermereROYAL

Point taken, but I firmly believe that we are improving at home since early season, Christ it could hardly be worse, whether that comes to fruition if a completely different matter.

That Rotherham game could be the hardest one of the lot in reality. Yes on paper its by far the easiest but the amount of tension involved is huge, hoping the players don't freeze on the big ocassion like we did against Burton at home last season.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 04 Feb 2019 09:18

No reason why we can't take points from all those games (we won't but we could). The 2 toughest ones being Leeds and WBA - Leeds are really starting to wobble (W3 L4 of last 7) so god knows what form they will be in by mid-March.

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 04 Feb 2019 12:04

windermereROYAL Blackburn, Rotherham, Wigan, Leeds, Preston, Brentford, WBA, Birmingham.

24 points to play for, if for arguments sake we can get 15 points minimum that takes us to 40 points, that puts us within touching distance of the 46 points we will probably need to keep us up.

15 points out of 24 is not far off promotion form-do you really think we have improved that much?
Also, posters in other topics take the same view that the defence has now been sorted out and "all we need now is to start scoring"

You may have said that tongue in cheek but it is the hardest thing to do in football.
It is not too difficult to aim for a 0-0 with great emphasis on defending, it is far more difficult to create chances and score.

I would go along with the idea of one step at a time, i.e. get the defence sorted out and then build if this were the start of the season where every team is on a level basis but it is far from being the start of the season and we are playing catch-up.

I think we should be going all out for wins in our away games-it doesn't matter if we get dicked at Sheff Utd if we have won at Sheff Wed-it is better than getting 0-0s in both games.

I think this season will go right to the wire and draws just won't be good enough.

Maneki Neko
Hob Nob Legend

by Maneki Neko » 04 Feb 2019 12:09

I think we should be going all out for wins in our away games-it doesn't matter if we get dicked at Sheff Utd if we have won at Sheff Wed-it is better than getting 0-0s in both games.

but two 0-0 draws would be better than losing both games, so...

I think this season will go right to the wire and draws just won't be good enough.

but some draws added to some wins, might be

(I agree with you tbf just playing devils advocaat)

Hopeful

by Hopeful » 04 Feb 2019 13:11

Plus goal difference could be worth a point end of season - so I wouldn't want to be dicked by anyone. So to speak.
Mathematically agree of course that 3 points is, er, better than 2...but getting dicked would impact morale a lot more.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 04 Feb 2019 14:02

Maneki Neko (I agree with you tbf just playing devils advocaat)

I've heard he's more of a whiskey drinker myself.

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 04 Feb 2019 14:20

windermereROYAL
Old Man Andrews
windermereROYAL

Are you serious? Our last win before the one against a manager-less team down to 9 men was on November 3rd. We couldn't even beat bottom of the table in that time. Draws are simply not good enough.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 04 Feb 2019 14:21

Victor Meldrew

15 points out of 24 is not far off promotion form-do you really think we have improved that much?
Also, posters in other topics take the same view that the defence has now been sorted out and "all we need now is to start scoring"

You may have said that tongue in cheek but it is the hardest thing to do in football.
It is not too difficult to aim for a 0-0 with great emphasis on defending, it is far more difficult to create chances and score.

I would go along with the idea of one step at a time, i.e. get the defence sorted out and then build if this were the start of the season where every team is on a level basis but it is far from being the start of the season and we are playing catch-up.

15 out of 24 is promotion form but only if you take it over a run of 8 games in a row - these are spread over the rest of the season - is 15 more home points over the rest of the season really a massive shock - could argue it is a minimum need. 15pts from these 24 great, but it could easily be 15pts from 48 depending on the away form, which is essentially our form now and would not be enough.

Agree we need to take it one game at a time - would be a boost to get a result at Weds and then go from there.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 04 Feb 2019 17:37

Stranded
Victor Meldrew

15 out of 24 is promotion form but only if you take it over a run of 8 games in a row - these are spread over the rest of the season - is 15 more home points over the rest of the season really a massive shock - could argue it is a minimum need. 15pts from these 24 great, but it could easily be 15pts from 48 depending on the away form, which is essentially our form now and would not be enough.

Agree we need to take it one game at a time - would be a boost to get a result at Weds and then go from there.

8 points from the last 15 would begin looking pretty promising. Even 6 would be three unbeaten and a platform to build from, if much the same as ever. Lose and it'll feel like 1 step forward 2 steps back.

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 04 Feb 2019 18:22

May do better away from home. Counter attacking may suit the team better. Far too slow in the build up at the moment. Which allows opposition defences to regroup.

Might have kept a clean sheet on Saturday. But Villa for long periods we're more likely to score.

Rea Ding

by Rea Ding » 04 Feb 2019 18:30

Lower West May do better away from home. Counter attacking may suit the team better. Far too slow in the build up at the moment. Which allows opposition defences to regroup.

Might have kept a clean sheet on Saturday. But Villa for long periods we're more likely to score.

I agree with this, I think if we stay up our away form will have a lot to do with it. I feel Saturday away at Wednesday is a big game we could nick all 3 points along with the trip to Ipswich.

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 04 Feb 2019 18:31

Lower West

Yes that`s quite shocking from a team thats only failed to score in 2 games before Saturday all season. they had spells in both halves but to call them long periods is probably wide of the mark.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 04 Feb 2019 18:35

Iirc the highlights showed one fairly average save for them off Oliveira and nothing much else and two smart saves from Martinez plus one off the post for them.

Obvs only highlights, but they looked like there was only one team likely to take the three points if anyone did.

Also not saying we didn't deserve the clean sheet.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 04 Feb 2019 19:04

Snowflake Royal Iirc the highlights showed one fairly average save for them off Oliveira and nothing much else and two smart saves from Martinez plus one off the post for them.

Obvs only highlights, but they looked like there was only one team likely to take the three points if anyone did.

Also not saying we didn't deserve the clean sheet.

Am I right in saying we had no shots on target in the 2nd half? We seemed fairly happy with a draw from about 60 minutes onwards.