BFTG - Blackburn

246 posts
Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: BFTG - Blackburn

by Royal Rother » 16 Feb 2019 09:22

I think that’s Vision speak for “you’re talking absolute bollocks my friend”.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 16 Feb 2019 10:36

Royal Rother I think that’s Vision speak for “you’re talking absolute bollocks my friend”.

There's some pretty valid stuff in the first paragraph, but as usual Vision is right about the tone of the rest being pessimistic and Gomes having limited options.

The current good run is largely made by that one win against Blackburn, otherwise it's a small run unbeaten and a win against 9 man Forest. Build on that win and things take on a rosey sheen. Go another 4/5 games without a win, especially if it's based on 3/4 losses and the good work quickly evaporates again.

Rino or Eza being available again soon really is important, because I can't see us getting much out of many games with a midfield of three of Kelly, Swift, Aluko, Baker and Ejaria.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 16 Feb 2019 11:03

A good run is a good run no matter the circumstances.

That said I was bloody horrified after the 1st half against Blackburn.

But no matter who the rest of the team is each game, if Martinez, Miazga, Moore and Oliveira stay fit then (from the bits I’ve seen) I believe they will carry us to safety.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 16 Feb 2019 13:48

Snowflake Royal
Royal Rother I think that’s Vision speak for “you’re talking absolute bollocks my friend”.

There's some pretty valid stuff in the first paragraph, but as usual Vision is right about the tone of the rest being pessimistic and Gomes having limited options.

The current good run is largely made by that one win against Blackburn, otherwise it's a small run unbeaten and a win against 9 man Forest. Build on that win and things take on a rosey sheen. Go another 4/5 games without a win, especially if it's based on 3/4 losses and the good work quickly evaporates again.

Rino or Eza being available again soon really is important, because I can't see us getting much out of many games with a midfield of three of Kelly, Swift, Aluko, Baker and Ejaria.

Can we leave out the ‘nine man Forest’ nonsense.
For over 2/3 of the game they were 11 man Forest, and we were beating 11 man Forest. For over 90% of the game they were 10 man Forest.
And the reason they became 10 and 9 man Forest was because their players committed red card offences, not because they decided to not bother.
Funny how when the opposition loses a player it diminishes our performance but when we are playing with 10 or 9 it’s not an excuse for a defeat.
We beat Forest, their ill discipline is not a reason to discount it as a ‘proper’ win....

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 16 Feb 2019 13:57

Nameless
Snowflake Royal

Can we leave out the ‘nine man Forest’ nonsense.
For over 2/3 of the game they were 11 man Forest, and we were beating 11 man Forest. For over 90% of the game they were 10 man Forest.
And the reason they became 10 and 9 man Forest was because their players committed red card offences, not because they decided to not bother.
Funny how when the opposition loses a player it diminishes our performance but when we are playing with 10 or 9 it’s not an excuse for a defeat.
We beat Forest, their ill discipline is not a reason to discount it as a ‘proper’ win....

Well it was 8 man Yeovil back in the day, so I'm only applying the same standard.

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 16 Feb 2019 14:24

Vision
Lower West
Ranty McRantface
Nope.

Rino was injured and we don't have any other tenacious tough tackling midfielders to play there. His only choice was to play more balanced wide men who would track back and help our only 2 CMs in the middle. I really don't think there was any other choice.

Meite is also not 100% fit and would not last the 90mins.

Blackburn definitely deserved to be ahead in the 1st half and I agree we should have been dead and buried. They knew we had no other CMs and were physically inferior in the middle so all they had to do was hunt our CMs down into hurried passes. That's why we had so little of the ball in the 1st half and why Blackburn overran our midfielders.

We desparately need Eza back to help out Rino when he's fit.

We've the rest of the season yet to play that's my real concern. Kelly\Swift as a partnership has never worked. Clement worked that one out. Likewise Aluko is a luxury in a team battling relegation. Swift is better in a floating no 10 role as well. Sitting deep restricts his ability to get in the box as often. Bacuna may well prove to be a huge loss.

For far too long we've performed inconsistantly game to game. No sign of this being eradicated yet. Gomes may have plenty of good ideas. But certainly appears to be lacking the tactical nouse. Have we moved on from Clement. Jury is still well and truly out.

When Kelly was disposed in the first half inside the Blackburn half. Blackburn breaking away with a 4 to 2 advantage. Better teams will capitalise. The fragility was there to see.

That's a pretty pessimistic take isn't it?.

Although Millwall was Gomes & Co's first game. Felt that the tactics were wrong that day as well. In the context of being a 6 point fixture. Hence my jury out view. We all know the squad's weaknesses over the past 18 months. The January transfer window hasn't improved solved all the deficiencies. Constantly changing the team either doesn't breed confidence.

246 posts